test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Auras (AoPM, etc...)

kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Power Discussion
I have a limited understanding on how some work, and others that I'm confused on how they work.

like AoPM, AoAC, etc... is there a guide or something to get a more full understanding on the pros, cons, and uses of these powers?
Post edited by kage1822 on

Comments

• hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do not know about a guide but I can try to help you. The Auras are slotted passives. They effect you and those in your team fairly nearby but in a big radius. (This includes pets) They do what they say they do.

Arcane Clarity (I believe it is called) makes it easier to use lots of skills.

AoPM boosts all your stats (combined with Intelligence as your Prime Super Stat this can be AWESOME and better than Arcane Clarity IMHO.).

Aura of Ebon Destruction makes you deal more damage and adds extra deadly blasts to your crits.

Aura of Radiant Protection? I think is the last one's name... That one gives you resistance. Quite a bit of it.

Each of these can also interact with the Eldrich Shield if you get its advantage. They also generally give more benefit to your friends if you are in Support Role and more to you if you are in Balanced Role. However, in many cases it is better to be in Support Role even with the slight drop for you except it will lower your DPS a little.
  • rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    First of all to Benefit your team with your Support Passive you should incorporate PRE Super Stat to boost the effectiveness applied to your teammates, while Super stats affect yourself,
    Aura of Arcane Clarity, Decreases Cost & Cooldowns while giving slight Increase to Charge powers.
    Aura of Primal Majesty, offers overall Super Stat boost to fill in gaps or otherwise push what you can from them combined with Gear & Prime/Sec Super Stats alone.
    Aura of Radiant Protection, offers Resistance to you and your Team, Reducing all damage received.
    Aura of Ebon Destruction, offers all damage boost while crits hit the target with a Ebon Lightning upto 2 times every 6 secs,
    Seraphim, is ideal for using Dimensional powers (Celestial/Darkness) bolstering Dimensional Damage & Heals, offers a light AoE heal every 3 secs.
    Medical Nanites, AoE Heal every 3 seconds.

In Hybrid Role you're more or less boosting yourself more then the team while Support Role is to bolster your team more, works great with Pets.
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • ryllynythryllynyth Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Primal Majesty can get pretty nuts if you heavily-stat for it. I've been in teams with characters that gave me +101 to EVERY stat just for being near them.

I'm actually leveling a team-support character right now. Not sure how effective it'll be in the long run, but the plan is to go PRE/Con/Ego/end, AoPM/IDF/Sentinel Aura with PA beam toggles and maybe protection field, run in Support as a kind of blaster lite that makes everyone do everything better, mitigate a little bit of damage, have passive team-wide healing, and can throw decent shields on people too. Oh and probably go with Presence Mastery for additional passive shield procs off of Sentinel Aura...
  • kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So the main character that I'm asking this about is almost pure force, and mainly solo with the occasional alert. Currently running AoPM, should I stick with it or change to AoED?
    edited March 2015
    Oh, my SS' are

Ego
    Int
    Con

And talents are adding to End & Rec
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kage1822 wrote: »
    So the main character that I'm asking this about is almost pure force, and mainly solo with the occasional alert. Currently running AoPM, should I stick with it or change to AoED?
    I'd stick with AoPM or just go with a non-aura passive (for technical reasons, I don't recommend Kinetic Manipulation with Force; Quarry is probably your best bet). What exactly do you want an aura for? Without Presence superstatted, they aren't going to be terribly valuable as team support.
    edited March 2015
    Most force builds I've seen don't look team centered, especially with all the knocks that tend to po melee players, and look more solo. A lot of them u notice run AoPM in hybrid, I thought about quarry, but if I remember correctly, it uses dex which I'm not stacking, so I've been torn between AoPM and AoED on hybrid of which I've seen most force characters use
  • purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most force builds I've seen don't look team centered, especially with all the knocks that tend to po melee players, and look more solo. A lot of them u notice run AoPM in hybrid, I thought about quarry, but if I remember correctly, it uses dex which I'm not stacking, so I've been torn between AoPM and AoED on hybrid of which I've seen most force characters use

Many Force builds use AoPM for the energy for Force Cascade.

Quarry's Audacity buff scales off of INT, and that will further boost your INT and EGO.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
    edited March 2015
    Yes, force cascade is extremely energy hungry; if you're not running AoPM, a full charge is hard to pull off without at least a secondary superstat in End.
    edited March 2015
    ahh... that explains it, thnx
  • riltmosriltmos Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Tapped force cascades do not knock, also in theory since I didn't test it exactly this way, Int/Con/Pre with AoPM might still give a noticeable amount of support to people around. I think around 50 extra points for others while in Hybrid mode. The Int primary also boosts the others so that off-healing might be workable if using Iniquity.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes, force cascade is extremely energy hungry; if you're not running AoPM, a full charge is hard to pull off without at least a secondary superstat in End.

This build doesn't use AoPM or End superstat and can fire off fully charged Cascades. It also has insane energy return. However, it does lack in the HP department (personal choice).
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited March 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    EGO INT REC, It's what Kinesis uses. took a bit of fine tuning but I'm finally hitting glorious 30k cascade crits. even got 31k once, and 39k on kiga because of some extra team debuffs.

It's interesting you're using overseer, Kinesis uses Avenger Vindicator. I thought overseer was best on control/debuff builds.

If you scroll down through the thread you'll find another set of specs that I have posted. Those are the ones that I use on the latest retcon of the character.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
    edited March 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    I was more asking what the reasoning was behind overseer in the first place.

Increased Blast damage. Increased Ranged damage aura. Decrease single target ranged energy cost. Increased offense from gear.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    edited March 2015
    cyrone wrote: »
    This build doesn't use AoPM or End superstat and can fire off fully charged Cascades. It also has insane energy return. However, it does lack in the HP department (personal choice).
    What's your energy cost on a full change force cascade? My impression is that cost reduction can't get it much below 140, which means you need at least that much energy (I guess you're getting it off of high Rec plus Mental Endurance).
    edited March 2015
    What's your energy cost on a full change force cascade? My impression is that cost reduction can't get it much below 140, which means you need at least that much energy (I guess you're getting it off of high Rec plus Mental Endurance).
    cyrone wrote: »
    Insight is the spec you're thinking of instead of Force of Will and yes, with Insight spec, stupid high Ego, Int and Cost Redux gear my Cascades are only 47-138-ish energy for charging.

...MSA is returning ~31-38 energy (depending on Quarry stacks) and Concentration is giving 61 energy (max Quarry stacks). Ego Surge will allow me to fire off a Cascade full charge for only 63 energy, Concentration refills that lost energy allowing me to fire another one fully charged instantly.

Pulled from the same thread as the build.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Ah, okay. In any case, all I said was 'hard to pull off'. I don't generally think about Rec as a primary superstat.
    edited March 2015
    Ah, okay. In any case, all I said was 'hard to pull off'. I don't generally think about Rec as a primary superstat.

I like to build outside the box. I've started using Rec on numerous builds (last time I was in game - summer last year) :biggrin:
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    edited March 2015
    so here's the Force build on the character I created this topic about

Name: Nova Star

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Invincible
    Level 6: Tireless
    Level 9: Indomitable
    Level 12: Brilliant
    Level 15: Wordly
    Level 18: Daredevil
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts (Energy Refraction)
    Level 1: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 6: Force Blast (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Crushing Wave (Rank 2, Disruptive Force)
    Level 14: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Field Surge (Power Swell)
    Level 23: Imbue (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 32: Masterful Dodge
    Level 35: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
    Level 38: Energy Storm

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Heroic FLIGHT (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Displacement Acrobatics

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
    Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (3/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (2/3)
    Avenger: Ruthless (2/2)
    Avenger: Can't Touch This (1/3)
    Avenger: Anguish (2/2)
    Avenger: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Avenger: Preemptive Strike (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

now as far as Crushing Wave goes... I don't see what Disruptive Force is supposed to do at all... is it worth taking, or go straight to rank 3? at current it's a bread and butter power for me
    edited March 2015
    Disruptive Force adds a knock down to the final part of the maintain.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,829 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Disruptive Force can be taken w/ R3- its a 1-pt adv, iirc. Its not needed in a conventional Force build, but can be decent for some extra CC while AoE-ing (and/or if ur using the odd Force + Enrage build).

Outside of theme, I wouldn't recommend taking Field Surge, since its not very good in non-PFF builds, and doesn't count as an energy form (Power Swell is passive-layer/'additive' bonus dmg anyways- afaik). R1 Energy Storm is also a weird choice to me, but perhaps I'm missing some context from where the build was originally taken.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
    edited March 2015
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Disruptive Force can be taken w/ R3- its a 1-pt adv, iirc. Its not needed in a conventional Force build, but can be decent for some extra CC while AoE-ing (and/or if ur using the odd Force + Enrage build).

Outside of theme, I wouldn't recommend taking Field Surge, since its not very good in non-PFF builds, and doesn't count as an energy form (Power Swell is passive-layer/'additive' bonus dmg anyways- afaik). R1 Energy Storm is also a weird choice to me, but perhaps I'm missing some context from where the build was originally taken.

I took Field Surge as a semi-thematic AD, and as far as energy storm... I was actually at a loss as to what to take there. So any replacement ideas for Field Surge (ADs only) and replacement choices for energy storm is appreciated. As well as help in moving Adv points around to bring Crushing wave to R3 + adv
    edited March 2015
    Your build doesn't seem to have a form toggle. There's very little reason not to have Concentration. Drop either Field Surge or Imbue. I also don't really recommend having force blast, most people wind up just spamming Force Cascade.

Energy storm is one of those 'ultimate' powers that is in practice not very good, and it really wants an ability to apply multiple elemental status effects.
    edited March 2015
    Your build doesn't seem to have a form toggle. There's very little reason not to have Concentration. Drop either Field Surge or Imbue. I also don't really recommend having force blast, most people wind up just spamming Force Cascade.

Energy storm is one of those 'ultimate' powers that is in practice not very good, and it really wants an ability to apply multiple elemental status effects.

isn't Ego Surge both ann AO and a Form?
    edited March 2015

maybe later I'll drop Forceblast, but right now Nova is only lvl 14
    edited March 2015
    isn't Ego Surge both ann AO and a Form?

Ego Surge is an *Energy Form*. Concentration is a Form (toggled ability)
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,829 Arc User
    edited March 2015

yeah missed that about the lack of toggle (I'm tired)- good catch. Def second putting Concentration in there (instead of Energy Storm atm).

Force Blast I assume was in the original build cause of Preemptive Strike (at least at max lvl), though ya can play w/o it and settle for the better defenses from Guardicator by then.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,521 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe lock and load instead of energy storm? It will lower the cost of your attacks while active and boot their damage..
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
    edited March 2015
    I would probably build as something sort of like this:
    PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 1:
    Level 6:
    Level 9:
    Level 12:
    Level 15:
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 6: Protection Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Crushing Wave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Concentration
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Palliate (Absolve)
    Level 38: Implosion Engine (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    You'd have to retcon at level 8 to remove force blast.
    edited March 2015

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 1:
    Level 6:
    Level 9:
    Level 12:
    Level 15:
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

Forgetting one thing, I purposely put rank 3 in my travel, that is a non negotiable 2 points of advgs
    edited March 2015
    Forgetting one thing, I purposely put rank 3 in my travel, that is a non negotiable 2 points of advgs
    That build has 3 advantage points unspent.
    edited March 2015
    Ahh... so with this build, being my chara is only lvl 13 or 14, only have for attacks the EB and crushing wave?
    edited March 2015
    Ahh... so with this build, being my chara is only lvl 13 or 14, only have for attacks the EB and crushing wave?
    Yeah. Sometimes it's worth having a temporary attack power that you'll retcon out of once you qualify for the attack you really want, but having only one attack power is rarely crippling.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah. Sometimes it's worth having a temporary attack power that you'll retcon out of once you qualify for the attack you really want, but having only one attack power is rarely crippling.
    Not having an AoE can make some of the solo content a bother and not having a good single target attack can make bosses tiresome to deal with.

If soloing with the listed build, I'd personally wait until level 23 to retcon Force Blast away and skip Protection Field until then.
    edited March 2015

Name:

Super Stats:

Talents:
    Level 1:
    Level 6:
    Level 9:
    Level 12:
    Level 15:
    Level 18:
    Level 21:

Powers:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:

I missed it before as I was posting via my phone... Implosion Engine doesn't fit the thematic concept, as it's a technological device, and she has no use for them, she's (thematically speaking) more like a battery or generator of pure cosmic energy.

every chara I make is built on a thematic concept, and never just randomly put in powers. Sure it might weaken the character, but than if I start going out of thematic concept, I lose interest and never play the character again... I'm a hardcore RPer, thus Thematic Concept is of the utmost paramount when it comes to my characters
    edited March 2015
    I missed it before as I was posting via my phone... Implosion Engine doesn't fit the thematic concept, as it's a technological device, and she has no use for them, she's (thematically speaking) more like a battery or generator of pure cosmic energy.
    It's not particularly important to the build, I just put it in there because it fit with a theme of pulling and pushing people about, and being able to group people up would be handy. Personally, I want Gravity Pulse and Singularity Bomb as player powers, but they're vehicle only ;(.
    edited March 2015
    yeah, that would be nice