test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Convince me

lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Backstory: Former player. I suppose that when all is said and and done this is and will likely be my favorite game when my breath stops and all measurements are taken. That being said every time in the past 6 or 7 months that I have felt compelled to play I do not. Example- I watch the first 10 minutes of Future Past and think "...well my character would have dusted at least one sentinel....". Or man of steel. I don't need to be superman to mix it up with those yutzes on main street. If I throw enough lead downrange to mess up their strategy in my mind I win.

So: I don't post very often. What I'm about to ask is unreasonable. Unreasonable because I'm an adult with a computorz that has interwebz. On occasion someone here will ask some variation of the question "is this game worth it?!" and a few times over the years I'll post and say yes.

Now: Ok. Took a break. As is often suggested when fatigue or repetition sets in. More than 6 months. New missions? How was steel crusade? How is pvp? Did anyone ever give a heck and use the team duel function to create the closest reasonable facimile to an actual fight?

Why: I miss designing my own characters and taking them out to fight. Also, every time I read the horrid Titan forums that encourage false hope because people either think it's funny or they enjoy distorting how business actually works (either way they should rot the lot of them) I worry just a tad about my characters. They might be missing a fight.

So x2: Plenty of talk regarding what a new player might experience here. If someone was considering returning after a hiatus, how would you get them enthused? What's new?
Post edited by lafury001200 on

Comments

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Steel Crusade missions for the most part aren't anything new. Walk down hallways, destroy NPCs, just like you've always done. These ones have lots of explosions tho, so that's pretty neat. The final boss, Big Mech himself, is kind of neat. Overall, it will take you somewhere around 30 minutes to an hours to beat the entire thing, depending on your pacing.

There have been some pretty great new costume sets released. If you like stuff that glows, especially, you'll be pleased with them.

Other than that, it's the same CO you left behind. PVP is still primarily BASH, with the usual suspects engaging in the usual shenanigans. I see people dueling, but don't see many team duels, though I'm sure they do happen occasionally.

Sorry, I know that probably didn't excite you very much. Or at all.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Steel Crusade is fun, although the bit where you go into the brains can be annoying for some toons (be sure you've laid in some good self-heals - Karneeki can be your best friend here!), and a couple of my guys couldn't survive Cislunar Mechanon solo. (The robots up there can be really tough - which is as it should be, Mechanon should be hard to beat.) It's also kind of nice that each segment of the mission rewards Questionite, so you don't have to finish the entire thing if you either don't want to or can't - and it's replayable with a 20-hour cooldown.

The intro is particularly creepy. You can't save everyone, and you're going to watch a few victims burn to death, screaming and flailing. Kudos to the guys at Cryptic North for that, BTW.

The visuals at the space station are nice, too - go to the bar and look at Earth for a while. Oh, and the robot bartender there mentions the Star*Guard, which some of us are hoping is an easter egg for the future.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited March 2015
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you still have the game installed, why not pop in and roam around for a bit? Won't take much of your time for a peek. Also: I highly recommend adding your own soundtrack should you decided to play again. When I use Sword Cyclone, I like to go wwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrroooooooooooooommmmmm through the trash mobs. It's been amusing me for over a week now.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you have enjoyed doing mission content in the past you will probably enjoy Steel Crusade, especially if you have one or two people to tag along.

The main SG I am in organizes team duels from time to time and they're usually a lot of fun(roughly once a week give or take)...they often go down in the Power House Arena and as long as you can follow one or two simple rules and aren't a jerk to people just about anyone is allowed to participate.
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    Steel Crusade is fun, although the bit where you go into the brains can be annoying for some toons (be sure you've laid in some good self-heals - Karneeki can be your best friend here!), and a couple of my guys couldn't survive Cislunar Mechanon solo. (The robots up there can be really tough - which is as it should be, Mechanon should be hard to beat.) It's also kind of nice that each segment of the mission rewards Questionite, so you don't have to finish the entire thing if you either don't want to or can't - and it's replayable with a 20-hour cooldown.

The intro is particularly creepy. You can't save everyone, and you're going to watch a few victims burn to death, screaming and flailing. Kudos to the guys at Cryptic North for that, BTW.

The visuals at the space station are nice, too - go to the bar and look at Earth for a while. Oh, and the robot bartender there mentions the Star*Guard, which some of us are hoping is an easter egg for the future.
    no, actually he is being unusually straightforward and ehlpful . steel crusade is something new, so that is great, but its still standard missions. beat up spawns of enemies, click glowies, the beginning is pretty sill, even by comic book terms, but its new content and that is good. and it advances real lore, so thats great, but its till really small and its all the permanent mission content we got last year.

bottom line is that co is not going to be the game for people who want a lot of new content, i think even jon will admit that. you mentioned you missed creating your own characters. whelp, co is still the only game in town there, so if you have ideas, come on back. its why im stil here after letting fuller featured games go by the wayside, how the hell tis so hard to have a good character creator and halfway decent martial arts animations is beyond me. . but if you want a decent pace of new missions, powers and other amenities of a subscription mmo, co has not been that game, and that wont change. does anyone realistically think otherwise?

So x2: Plenty of talk regarding what a new player might experience here. If someone was considering returning after a hiatus, how would you get them enthused? What's new?
    i would bee realistic witht hem. you want to make YOUR character. then this is the only game out there, the small number of existign superheor ones out there have drastically less customization than this one. beyond that i would let them know that we are gettign minimal content and no dev communication, so expect one new relaease at best a eyar and expect it to be small. but you will keep coming back because you arent draeni paladin number 500 or sidekick in generic tights that got a superpower infused mosquito bite from the worst origin story in history, you are YOUR character.
  • pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Steel Crusade is a perfectly fine set of missions that can be completed in an hour or so; getting every unlockable costume piece may take a few weeks. CO is... there. It's not getting substantial new content, nor is it likely to do so.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Walk down hallways, destroy NPCs, just as you've always done."

If it's boiled down that far, look at the ol' 800-pound gorilla. Wander through the countryside, destroy NPCs, gather 20 bear asses and deliver them to a lazy villager, just as you've always done. And yet they charge fifteen bucks a month to play, and those wonderful expansions they keep boasting of are mostly just more countryside to wander through, new NPCs to destroy, and different bear asses to gather.

The primary difference between it and CO would appear to be the much smaller number of missions in here that require the gathering of plot coupons.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "

The primary difference between it and CO would appear to be the much smaller number of missions i
    this is the realists take. yes in live mmos, the missions still break down to a number of conventions, but co is so much worse at disguising it than most other mmos(its better than Korean grind-hells, so gold star there). and we had our best year since reloaded, by getting a handful of them and a miniscule number of powers. that wouldn't fly at mmo's with actual publisher attention.
    edited March 2015
    "Walk down hallways, destroy NPCs, just as you've always done."

If it's boiled down that far, look at the ol' 800-pound gorilla. Wander through the countryside, destroy NPCs, gather 20 bear asses and deliver them to a lazy villager, just as you've always done. And yet they charge fifteen bucks a month to play, and those wonderful expansions they keep boasting of are mostly just more countryside to wander through, new NPCs to destroy, and different bear asses to gather.

The primary difference between it and CO would appear to be the much smaller number of missions in here that require the gathering of plot coupons.

The fact that they charge 15 bucks a month for the same thing doesn't change the reality of the Steel Crusade missions.

We're not debating whether somebody should be playing Gorilla MMO or CO. Why is Gorilla MMO even being mentioned?

And hey, you know what Gorilla MMO's expansions have? Lots of new quest text and character models ~_^ that's what you like isn't it?
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If your pointing out repetitive game play as a reason to dislike champs then you may as well point out every game going, 95% of games just repeat the same old stuff with a new gloss coating over the top.
    edited March 2015
    If your pointing out repetitive game play as a reason to dislike champs then you may as well point out every game going, 95% of games just repeat the same old stuff with a new gloss coating over the top.

Nobody at any point pointed out reasons to dislike Champions Online. You can take your fanboy armor off, no war to fight.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thanks all for the replies. Might as well give Steel Crusade a go if nothing else. Peace.