test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

need help with fire

kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Power Discussion
I have yet to be able to succeed with a fire build I changed a few powers from the original build as it was pre- F2P build.

I took frost breath + adv guaranteed chill for rimefire
also took frag grenade + adv for guaranteed clinging flames

I set my talents to add both Con & Rec

the placements of the powers aren't important, just wanted to see what help I can get with this, thnx in adv
Post edited by kage1822 on

Comments

• flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,829 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It sounds like ur taking a Fire + Ice build, which is not the same as a pure Fire build. Building around Rimefire is better done w/ Ice as the base (Ice Blast w/ HF filler) than w/ Fire.

Pure Fire dps takes using Fireball's UA adv to boost Conflag, which is Fire's best dps spell that doesn't have a cd. That also means managing energy more, since Conflag is costly. Either End/Rec + Thermal Reverb + Flashfire/Pyre (more natural) or Int + MSA + cds can be used for extra energy. Add Firesnake in there for its debuff.

If ya want a Rimefire build, you'll get more dps using Ice Blast w/ HF as the filler than using much lower dps moves to proc Chilled and CF. Typically those builds add Nanobot Swarm to get a burst of Rimefires out more often. Firesnake is ofc in there as well.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • maldanaanmaldanaan Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I went Endurance, Dex/Ego on my Fire Build, relying on specializations to get better equilibrium and health. It's working well for me, but I have no numbers. All fire powers, no ice combos.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Pure Fire dps takes using Fireball's UA adv to boost Conflag, which is Fire's best dps spell that doesn't have a cd. That also means managing energy more, since Conflag is costly. Either End/Rec + Thermal Reverb + Flashfire/Pyre (more natural) or Int + MSA + cds can be used for extra energy. Add Firesnake in there for its debuff.
    This is basically the foundation of any build based around Fire.

Conflag + Fireball (with Unstable Accelerant)+ Fire Snake + Flashfire + Thermal Reverberation + Fiery Form (Ice Form can be used as well).
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Pour some water on it, that should put it out.

Bravo, Charlie, and Delta class fires disagree.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited March 2015
    sterga wrote: »
    Bravo, Charlie, and Delta class fires disagree.

This isn't that tho.
  • kage1822kage1822 Posts: 326 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well, I've had this character since about 5 months+ before we even heard of F2p for CO, I have retconned numerous times, and she stays super squishy... up until hitting her current level of 18, I'd say she more than held her own, but since hitting 18 her survivability became like a lvl 1 soloing lvl 40 content... :frown:

i've tried just about every offensive and defensive passives except sorcery and telepaathic ones
    edited March 2015
    kage1822 wrote: »
    well, I've had this character since about 5 months+ before we even heard of F2p for CO, I have retconned numerous times, and she stays super squishy... up until hitting her current level of 18, I'd say she more than held her own, but since hitting 18 her survivability became like a lvl 1 soloing lvl 40 content... :frown:

i've tried just about every offensive and defensive passives except sorcery and telepaathic ones

what are your Super Stats?

also it sounds like maybe you need to focus on building a solid base; you might be trying to go fancy too soon.
    edited March 2015
    I don't know why, but I keep having problems with powerhouse not doing hat it should, even clicking on see this build, brings up an extremely broken powerhouse for me... so'I'll just manually put up what my current build is which hasn't been modified for rimefire just yet, so it's still pure fire

Nebula

DEX/Rec/Int

Energized
    Agile
    Amazing Stamina
    Energetic
    Investigator
    Impressario
    Accurate

Throw Fire
    Fireball - R2/UA/AM
    Thermal Reverb
    Quarry - R/2/R3
    Conflag - R2/R3/AM
    Concentration
    Evasive Maneuvers - SoH
    Bountiful Chi - R2/RR
    Flaash Fire - R2/R3
    Conviction - R2/R3
    Firesnake - TB
    Ego Surge - NM
    Immolation

Dex - Combat Train -3
    Dex Gear Util - 2
    Dex - Evasion - 2
    Dex - Deadly Aim - 3
    Vin - Merciless - 3
    Vin - Rush Battle - 2
    Vin - Mod Gear - 2
    Vin - Mass Destruct - 3
    Aven - Ruthless -2
    Aven - Anguish - 2
    Aven - Round 'em - 3
    Aven - Relentless - 3
    Dex Mastery

I planned on eventually gearing this

P. Offense - +crit strike/+ Offense
    2nd Offense - + crit strike
    P. Defense - + Avoidance/+ Defense
    2nd Defense - + Defense
    P. Utility - + Cooldown
    2nd Utility - + cost discount
    edited March 2015
    Well, ya lack Con SS atm, and have no ADs and the standard block to work off of on top of that. You'd also want Aggressive Stance in Vindicator if ur pairing it w/ the Offense boost from Relentless Assault (though ya won't get that combo in effect till later levels). Ranking up Flashfire isn't as important (imo), if ya want to save some adv points.

For SS's, I'd take Ego PSS; ya get scaling w/ Conc, cost discount w/ Insight, good crit boosts, and some Defense from Force of Will. EGO/Con/End is a good setup for using Thermal Reverb, and prob get Offensive Expertise in either Vind or Avenger specs to help w/ CD reduction on the AO(s). INT/End/Con is also a good SS setup for the build, for more cd reduction and some -resist, but lower Defense and severity.

If ur going for BCR/RR w/ Quarry, then I'd take dodge rating over avoidance in Defense gear. Alternative to BCR (w/o its 10% dmg penalty) is to get another AD instead of BCR, and gear for maxHP and/or Defense. Primary Offense should also have one severity boost if ur taking a diff PSS than Dex/Mastery.

Oh, and have you tried using diff browsers or plugins to make the PH planner work? Can't say I've encountered anything buggy with it recently.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    edited March 2015
    kage1822 wrote: »
    Throw Fire
    Fireball - R2/UA/AM
    Thermal Reverb
    Quarry - R/2/R3
    Conflag - R2/R3/AM
    Concentration
    Evasive Maneuvers - SoH
    Bountiful Chi - R2/RR
    Flaash Fire - R2/R3
    Conviction - R2/R3
    Firesnake - TB
    Ego Surge - NM
    Immolation

I would say drop Quarry and pick up a form that primarily buffs energy damage. The dodge from Quarry isn't going to do anything for you; having proper damage from something like Fire Form will kill stuff faster, meaning you have to survive for less time.

Consider dropping Evasive Manuevers and instead picking up a block replacer - for some reason, people forget how powerful blocking is. When things get rough, hold block, break every few seconds to tap Conviction and refresh Bountiful Chi (youll be dropping RR for obvious reasons). You'll be back to fighting shape in no time, thats when you unleash another burst of damage.

Also what is your travel power? If it's flight, consider changing it to something that lets you move faster, and then use hit-and-run tactics. When you're playing a glass cannon, there's no shame in surviving via a well-timed tactical retreat, or kiting (throw fire is particularly good for kiting).
    edited March 2015
    Quarry is still good dps for Non-physical dmg builds- as long as Int is stated. This is due to Audacity's buff to Int and Ego making up for the lower passive dmg boost from the passive (and it gives slightly shorter cd timers).

Although.. I should have noted that if ur taking Ego PSS and not SS'ing Int, then ur prob better off w/ Fiery or Ice Form (w/o high Int, Audacity is too small of a boost).
    edited March 2015
    this was my original build, just slightly modified when I returned to CO a couple weeks ago, when I first started this toon, On Alert was never heard of... this toon was created late 2011, I don't know why, but it's the only character I have always struggled with
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What my level 40 Fire user is currently running around with (in respec build format):

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Ego (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Impulse
    Level 6: Academics
    Level 9: Investigator
    Level 12: Daredevil
    Level 15: Wordly
    Level 18: Negotiator
    Level 21: Amazing Stamina

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Fiery Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 11: Immolation (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Flashfire (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Fire Snake (Rank 2)
    Level 23: Concentration
    Level 26: Bionic Shielding (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 38: Implosion Engine

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Phoenix Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Blazing Speed (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
    Ego: Insight (3/3)
    Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
    Ego: Exploit Opening (2/2)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Retribution (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

It's not massively optimized, the crit chance it does have comes mostly from a pair of Heroic Gloves of Precision (35 SCR) with a Gambler's 5 in it and a generic +47 Crit Strike Secondary (28.8% crit chance with 31 Dex @ level 40). You could swap Guardian or Warden for Vindicator if you want some more Defense Rating (and +5% Crit Severity) at the cost of some Offense Rating, but from my limited testing there's not a whole lot of gameplay difference between the Warden/Vindicator and Guardian/Warden setups. And yes, the Best Defense, Fortified Gear and Ruthless specs from Guardian do stack with their counterparts in Warden.

The only special piece of gear this character uses is a Veteran's Core of Might (for +13 to both Secondary Super Stats) in the Primary Utility. Otherwise it's 3 Heroic primaries (Precision, Health & Utility) slotted with Rank 5 mods and the secondaries are random drop purples.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Consider dropping Evasive Manuevers and instead picking up a block replacer - for some reason, people forget how powerful blocking is. When things get rough, hold block, break every few seconds to tap Conviction and refresh Bountiful Chi (youll be dropping RR for obvious reasons). You'll be back to fighting shape in no time, thats when you unleash another burst of damage.

Personally I'd stick with EM for the threat-wipe advantage even if dodge is ignored. 3 secs of staying untargettable to let a heal kick off without having to deal with incoming damage IMO is more effective survivability-wise. It has saved my butt numerous times on my offensive build when I'm under heavy fire. What's more EM recharge time is fast and made ridiculously fast with the right cooldown reduction gear.

The split second that you stop blocking (with an actual block power) to use a heal can actually be all the opening enemies need to make you faceplant for a squishy offensive build, especially if it's a couple of them doing so. Had this happened several times to me before on my offensive builds.
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Personally I'd stick with EM for the threat-wipe advantage even if dodge is ignored. 3 secs of staying untargettable to let a heal kick off without having to deal with incoming damage IMO is more effective survivability-wise. It has saved my butt numerous times on my offensive build when I'm under heavy fire. What's more EM recharge time is fast and made ridiculously fast with the right cooldown reduction gear.

The split second that you stop blocking (with an actual block power) to use a heal can actually be all the opening enemies need to make you faceplant for a squishy offensive build, especially if it's a couple of them doing so. Had this happened several times to me before on my offensive builds.

EM's threat removal has failed way too many times for me to rely on it anymore; I need something that I know will work, if it can rng-fail, I'm not relying on it to get me out of a pinch. OP also mentioned he's around lvl 18, so tons of cooldown reduction isn't feasable.

There's also the fact that EM's threat removal will reset NPCs, meaning he has to start the fight all over again, which just delays the problem rather than solving it.

Likely, he's either using flight and doesn't have the ability to effectively play hit-n-run/kite. That's pretty much the most useful tactic for glass cannons.

PS - if the stuff you're fighting is going to kill you just because you let go of block for a second, you definitely need to be kiting right at the edge of a 100 range power... or find some stuff closer to your level range to fight ~_^
  • monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My Isis is back, retconned to a Fire and Lightning DPS Goddess heroine. Hits for 6.2K AoE on dummies, probably more in team situations due to Rimefire synergy.

Yes, Mental Storm isn't actually an electricity power but it fits the theme along with a NPG and Empowered Dragon Staffs for Gigabolting from 100 ft. Pretty good DPS for an AoE build.

With 4 CON mods and 2 INT she's still a little short at times on energy, hence CoAP (STR dispenses the need for CoPD). For theme, I put 2 pts in TP so she can stay flying all the time while DPSing.

If you wanted to be more sturdy, could swap Lock N Load R3 for Unbreakable R3. (I use Ascension for Necrullitic Elixir, can swap that for a heal otherwise.)

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Isis

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Physical Conditioning
    Level 9: Body and Mind
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Brilliant
    Level 18: Investigator
    Level 21: Field Ops Training

Powers:
    Level 1: Strafe
    Level 1: Concentration
    Level 6: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Fireball
    Level 11: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 14: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Circle of Arcane Power
    Level 26: Ego Surge (Rank 2, Nimble Mind)
    Level 29: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Ascension (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Masterful Dodge
    Level 38: Mental Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Blazing Speed
    Level 35: Electro Flight (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (3/3)
    Strength: Aggression (2/2)
    Strength: Brutality (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)