test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Blocking with wings/cape.

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Suggestions Box
Now, granted, I know how this forum works...

hNVwWfB.jpg

But it'd be really neat to have a customization option for blocking powers (similar to Emanation Points) that'd make the character use their wings or cape to block things. :D With the addition of the Jet Wings and their glass material capability, it'd work incredibly well for my character who currently uses bulletproof glass as leg armor. Would just fill out the concept a bit more.
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• Options
    stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I like the idea. Of course they'd have to make the animations but I'm curious how they'd handle where to attach the power to?

• Options
    edited February 2015
    stratluver wrote: »
    I like the idea. Of course they'd have to make the animations but I'm curious how they'd handle where to attach the power to?

I'm not sure what you mean. I figure the block would have a drop down list for customization, like when you choose fists/palms/chest/head on other powers, except it'd be arm/wings/cape in the case of Block powers. Or do you mean the graphical effects, such as Electric Shield's net of lightning? Guessing that'd just be held out directly in front, though still touching the character.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It would be neat if they could attach a cape bone to the character's hand while blocking... would actually be likely to create a very dramatic swoosh where the character whips their cape out in front of them. Unfortunately I don't think our capes are wide enough to really give that cool "cape block" effect that we're all thinking of.

With wings, they could make it so all wings automatically curl out in front of the character... except that it would look terrible while the character is actually in flight.

It'd be neat if they could do anything new with blocks.
  • Options
    stratluverstratluver Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I knew I should have explained it better :frown:

But you got it! I just didn't know how you were going to get it as an option. A drop down menu works :wink:.

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Blocking with WINGS you say?

batfink.jpg?w=213

(god I miss that cartoon)

+1 I LOVE this Suggestion :biggrin:
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Watch them come out with a new rampage boss that blocks like this just to throw it in our face u3u
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    That is awesome. As for looking silly while flying... most of our current blocks already look silly while flying, so I don't see that as a serious flaw.​​
    Post edited by kaiserin#0958 on
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    morigosa wrote: »
    That is awesome. As for looking silly while flying... most of our current blocks already look silly while flying, so I don't see that as a serious flaw.

Except that I don't use my big blue force shield to keep me in the air. When my wings are curled around me like that, what's keeping me up? The National Security Agency?
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Except that I don't use my big blue force shield to keep me in the air. When my wings are curled around me like that, what's keeping me up? The National Security Agency?

And what's keeping you up in the air when you're going at top speed and your wings stop flapping? Hot air, perhaps?* I would certainly like folded wings better than having my force shield positioned so it looks like it should be cutting my character in half at the waist.

Still, if we're positing new block animations, I see no reason why they couldn't make two options: "wing block always" and "wing block when not flying", with the latter defaulting to normal block when in the air.

*Footnote: This was just too good a line to pass up on, but - given the lack of tone of voice in text - I wish to make it clear that it's meant in jest. Will edit it out if you ask me to.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    morigosa wrote: »
    And what's keeping you up in the air when you're going at top speed and your wings stop flapping?

That's called gliding.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The small issue with cape-blocking is that certain capes don't exactly come off as suitable for a block animation without looking a little silly IMO.

One would be the mini cape, the other would be the wizard one considering the "strands" design of it and how each individual strand model of the cape animates on their own.
  • Options
    soulforgersoulforger Posts: 1,649 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The small issue with cape-blocking is that certain capes don't exactly come off as suitable for a block animation without looking a little silly IMO.

One would be the mini cape, the other would be the wizard one considering the "strands" design of it and how each individual strand model of the cape animates on their own.

I block your attack with...ONE STRAND OF MY CAPE! Mwahahahaha!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    As far as capes go, I imagine the responsibility for "does it fit or does it not" would fall to the player. Wings, though, I definitely understand the concern for it looking goofy when flying... I'm undoubtedly in a minority, using wings without actually having a flight power. I wonder if the block animation could instead be a sideways stance with one wing folded in front, and the other still flapping? Not a scientifically feasible way to maintain lift, but would at least look better than just floating there. Maybe.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    jennymachx wrote: »

Well I mean... if me holding up my arm to block a giant lazer beam doesn't look silly... I don't see how it suddenly looks silly just because I have a narrow bit of fabric hanging off of it.

I mean... it is a magical cape...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    As far as capes go, I imagine the responsibility for "does it fit or does it not" would fall to the player. Wings, though, I definitely understand the concern for it looking goofy when flying... I'm undoubtedly in a minority, using wings without actually having a flight power. I wonder if the block animation could instead be a sideways stance with one wing folded in front, and the other still flapping? Not a scientifically feasible way to maintain lift, but would at least look better than just floating there. Maybe.

When I think of blocking while flying, I think of arms crossed like an X in front, and the knees pulled up towards the chest a bit. I don't know why... I just feel like I've seen winged characters blocking like that while flying.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    original.gif?1419979977
    o3o
  • Options
    lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Good thing this isn't Anime Online.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    spinnytop has no sense of tradition:

Comic book pseudo-science! :biggrin:

The cause of...and solution to...all of comic book heroes' problems!
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png