What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Release Notes, 11/13

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2014 in Release Notes
Release notes for 11/13.

Items:

-Fixed a bug with Draysha Gas Pistol that was allowing it to deal extremely high amounts of damage.

(Note: Because this was a bug that could be taken advantage of, I chose not to pre-announce that we were fixing it.)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Very glad to see some exploit getting fixed.
    Keep that up. :P
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    well that explains the recent surge in pistol sales.
    let the complaints about "fun" items being nerfed begin.
    and if you check under general dicussion. The DC plague is still around
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    well that explains the recent surge in pistol sales.
    let the complaints about "fun" items being nerfed begin.
    160 billion damage to Frosticus and Kenina was somewhat funny, but not really optimal. Whether this exploit is to blame I don't know.
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Release notes for 11/13.

Items:

-Fixed a bug with Draysha Gas Pistol that was allowing it to deal extremely high amounts of damage.

(Note: Because this was a bug that could be taken advantage of, I chose not to pre-announce that we were fixing it.)

Good call on this one TT. It really needed fixing.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Good response from cryptic this time on a game-breaking bug.
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Kay.

Can we get to fixing Plasma Burn not refreshing properly now? How about Aspect of the Bestial Ranks 2/3 not applying the default 2/3 stacks of enraged?

Or how about fixing Aspect of the Machine to apply stacks of Frenzy on something other than just "On kill"
    edited November 2014
    Hmm, I wonder if this stealth nerf is the reason why the thread I tired to start on folks one-shoting Forsticus and Kenina was deleted?
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Never knew this was a problem, but okay, Ha-ha-ha.

It's baffling how people manage to find exploits like this and obviously abuse them...
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jaazaniah1 wrote: »
    Hmm, I wonder if this stealth nerf is the reason why the thread I tired to start on folks one-shoting Forsticus and Kenina was deleted?

by the looks of it, you or somebody else did the right thing and reported it.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I could be wrong here, but wouldn't a stealth nerf be if they didn't say that they were nerfing the pistol and just slipped it in without telling anyone? :confused:
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Kay.

Can we get to fixing Plasma Burn not refreshing properly now? How about Aspect of the Bestial Ranks 2/3 not applying the default 2/3 stacks of enraged?

Or how about fixing Aspect of the Machine to apply stacks of Frenzy on something other than just "On kill"

Or how about sentinel mastery not being applied by so many holds (like ego storm,psychic vortex+adv etc)? Or how about Force Cascade disabling energy forms for more than 10 sec?

Or generally speaking, any of this game's bugs really. All the "fixes" you guys have done are nerfs.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    enixonbb wrote: »
    I could be wrong here, but wouldn't a stealth nerf be if they didn't say that they were nerfing the pistol and just slipped it in without telling anyone? :confused:
    It was stealthy in the sense that they didn't warn anyone ahead of time.
  • Options
    vladculvladcul Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2014

NOTE: Any (suspected) exploit should NOT be discussed (it is against the rules) or truthfully reported on the forums. Any such things should be submitted as a ticket or posted to the Gameplay Bugs with as minimal info as possible, pointing to a private forum message sent to (preferably) Trailturtle (or forum mods- biffsmackwell or kaizerin) with as much info as possible.

It was quietly dealt with in the background and updated to LIVE without prior notice to try to minimize the impact to the general player base. If the fix was announced in advance, those people 'with the know' would have tried to fleece unknowing people by selling the items for crazy high prices.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I personally never saw the exploit being used, but at least it's one (of millions more) off the table. Now, can we get Compassion stacks to buff Medical Nanites? Seriously, that would be such an awesome fix. Thanks in advance!
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Now if only those Devices didn't turn my Characters Fat as well and could stop giving them Yaoi Hands...

That sounds AMUSING!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    notyuunotyuu Posts: 1,121 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Kay.

yeah, maybe if they ever get around to fixing these these long standing bugs [SRSLY Y U NO FIX?] then maybe, just maybe they could also explain why orbital cannon does so little damage for all the time it takes before firing [4 seconds charge, then another 4 seconds before it fires, ending with a "bang" of only 3K...wth cryptic]
    In all things, a calm heart must prevail.

Member of Paragon Dawn: Because some people like friendly helpful communities.

eOGi6Cv.png9rfvawn.pngr3iD4nS.png

Yeah some things are broken... no I don't use/abuse them.. where would be the fun in that?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    So did they nerf the pistol buff (yet another useful buff nuked) or fix something which allowed the pistol itself to do damage? can we be a little more clear here please???!

It was an unintentional, exponentially stacking damage buff on draysha (essentially, draysha itself increases the draysha damage boost, which increases the draysha damage boost ... -- you see where I'm going with this). The intended base bonus was not touched.

It if were more widely known, it would be exploited out the wazoo. That was how ridiculous it was.

Now the other things in this thread (chiefly Medical nanites and compassion, SM and several holds, Overdrive (*sigh*) ... ) need fixing. These are not balance issues, but power usability issues. Would be a good idea to make threads in the bug reports section of the forum.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So, did anyone record this bug in action? Because that would be awesome.

Anyway, a patch that just fixes Draysha? Why not put stuff like that in with more fixes that would make people happy? In fact, why not do nerfs like that? Look at this new stuff! Look at these awesome bug fixes! ... oh um we nerfed this thing. But hey! A polar bear costume! Woo!
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    So did they nerf the pistol buff (yet another useful buff nuked) or fix something which allowed the pistol itself to do damage?
    The only nerf that is visible when not deliberately exploiting the bug is that it no longer stacks from multiple sources -- if two teammates both hit you with draysha, you'll only get one bonus, not two.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2014

As Vlad said, when we learn about exploits like this, we try to keep them as quiet as possible until we can fix them. If they get really well-known, then more people will exploit them.

This is also why we don't pre-announce them -- people getting scammed by people who read the forums is unfortunate, but our chief concern is that people don't go into a frenzy of exploiting before the patch goes live. And the amount of damage that this exploit could deal was absolutely ludicrous.

sterga wrote: »
    Anyway, a patch that just fixes Draysha? Why not put stuff like that in with more fixes that would make people happy? In fact, why not do nerfs like that? Look at this new stuff! Look at these awesome bug fixes! ... oh um we nerfed this thing. But hey! A polar bear costume! Woo!

We always want to fix as many bugs as possible, and you'll notice that we usually do so in batches -- we'll set aside some time to go through and hammer bugs, or we'll finish the week's planned tasks a little early and have some time to work on bug fixes. However, when something like this happens, we scramble to get it fixed as soon as possible. We always want to fix more bugs, but for an exploit like this, we have to get it fixed ASAP.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Pardon my mega-snip.
    ...hammer bugs...

Well that's one problem right there. A hammer is an ineffective tool for killing bugs. Maybe try one of these fly swatter guns.
    -
    b9.jpg

Hey. It makes more sense then a hammer. :smile:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    So, did anyone record this bug in action? Because that would be awesome.

Yes (I have appropriately redacted the names of the parties involved).

Q7sCW2t.png

Note that this actually caused the game damage to overflow.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    jimhsua wrote: »

Q7sCW2t.png

And apparently there's overflow issues since the first hit didn't kill, it took two hits. My guess there is that the first hit actually did a full-heal and the second hit was a kill.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Q7sCW2t.png

No wonder why the Rampage is dead, least when I was on...
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've been too busy working on the wiki to find this exploit, glad it got fixed
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    stuff and things

This is when an old, removed weapon skin is saved for these emergencies. I'm not saying devs don't do enough bug fixes, I'm saying that people are suckers for shiny objects.

Nerf + shiny = what nerf?
    *crazy high damage picture*

<insert over 9000 joke here> So, you only need to do over a billion damage to stun the game. The boomerang bug was more entertaining though, since the fights weren't over in a single hit.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    also if they're fixing drasha pistol they SERIOUSLY need to get rid of the "fatness" effect.
    The fatness effect also doesn't stack from multiple sources.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    even one effect is too much. it needs to go completely. we have a buff icon system for a reason. Use that.

No. Draysha was fun to use, now my hopes of seeing how big someone could be Draysha is out the window. If anything they need a enlarge gun that does only that with a 30min recharge time.

Yay for nerfing fun. Good thing they add more than they nerf...right? Right?
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Especially for those who think ruining someone else's fun IS fun.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png