test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Just in case anyone was curious.

chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
edited October 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrZi_Cxb01I&feature=youtu.be

There's a certain subset of our player base that seems to take great joy in watching some of us have to deal with the massive expenses involved in the vehicle nerf. The nerf itself was enough to make me want to leave the game for a while, but some of the behavior I've seen around it has been astonishing. Flat out laughing at the large financial expense behind it all... I had people I call friends blatantly suggesting that I deserved it. What in the actual hell?

Well then, allow me to retort. Please keep this civil. And honestly... I can't be the only one who considered doing this. I might be the only one who actually went through with it. If you cheered and laughed when a lot of us lost money? This is the result.

Please consider it next time you decide to pick on people for being bummed that a thing got nerfed. It might be that game-ruining final straw that drives one of us away. I could have gotten over the nerf eventually. The community response to it? Less. I thought you were better than that, guys.

Between that behavior and that stupid tumblr, I think I've had enough. Consider this the definitive quit thread. Useful bits start at around 2:30, if you're curious.

And no, I won't be contacting customer service and requesting a refund. I just wish I could swap my LTS to someone who honestly cares anymore.

This is gonna be my last post on this forum.
In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
dbnzfo.png
RIP Caine
Post edited by chalupaoffury on

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ok, what stupid tumblr was it this time?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I lied. This is my last post.

The one that was attacking captmoonlight and insulting what few players we have left. The walmart one. I'd like to find a way to transfer my LTS to @mal666 if possible. I'm going to be contacting customer service to see if it's doable.

I'm sure as heck not gonna use it anymore, and he deserves it.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm thinking there's a lot more than just some nerfs and a few childish jerks behind such a reaction. Regardless of what that "lot more" might be, Champions has clearly been a considerable drain on you given such drastic measures, so it's probably for the best in regards to your personal life. Good luck, wherever you end up going.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    Ehh...

Farewell.

Yes, some nerf cultists doesn't exactly realise the income vehicles brought on top of subscriptions and they might be suprised when within a few months CO development will stop again. Because certainly AT sales and subscriptions not gonna yield enough.

Bet they will blame everything, but not their own attitude. I'll be just sitting and laughing at them, rubbing it in their faces. :biggrin: Much fun expected. :biggrin:

I love incoming trainwrecks, there's something hypnotising in watching them. :wink:
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Vehicle nerf ? All i can say i stopped playing mostly when they started with the whol vehicle crap
    and we got nothing else than vehicles, vehicles and even more vehicles in lockboxes instead
    anything else.

Wish we could do some time-travel and go back to On-Alert and this time skip the whole
    vehicle nonsense and do something else.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Don't have time to read all the comments but this was all rather cringey....

Just saying.

Oh also maybe we should skip past on alert too, those changes weren't exactly that great either. <_<
    edited October 2014
    Oh also maybe we should skip past on alert too, those changes weren't exactly that great either. <_<

Yeah .. i also thought about that .. on the other hand i was always a fan of the Unity Missions
    and liked that i could now farm good gear with that ..

But yeah .. let us travel before On Alert so they can release an On Alert minus the removal of
    the old crafting system and whatever else they removed :smile:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I felt you were an asset to the game's community and it's a shame to see you go.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If a vehicle nerf is what it takes to get someone to leave, then they shouldn't be playing a Superhero MMORPG. CO isn't about vehicles, its the Heroes.

But I won't stop anyone from leaving. It's their decision and it is on them if they'll regret it later or not.

I think this is the devs' way of giving us a challenge.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited October 2014
    I must say I'd take concerns about vehicles not being a part of the superhero genre seriously...

If they weren't coming largely from the playerbase of the game where most of people are playing anything but superheroes. :biggrin:

I'm all for making CO more a superhero game.

Totally.

So I propose right after vehicles we'll remove all goat horns, demons, dragons, lizards and other furry parts. :biggrin:

Because they're even more fringe in the genre.
    edited October 2014
    If a vehicle nerf is what it takes to get someone to leave, then they shouldn't be playing a Superhero MMORPG. CO isn't about vehicles, its the Heroes.

^ Very much this.

Also after now reading another thread about that vehicle power, for me it looks if that was
    really totally Pay2win if there was one special power that made vehicles so much better than
    any hero, and people spent masses of money just to get that.

And yes .. of course i know that CO has always been maybe P2W because of freeform that is
    only available to paying users.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrZi_Cxb01I&feature=youtu.be

There's a certain subset of our player base that seems to take great joy in watching some of us have to deal with the massive expenses involved in the vehicle nerf. The nerf itself was enough to make me want to leave the game for a while, but some of the behavior I've seen around it has been astonishing. Flat out laughing at the large financial expense behind it all... I had people I call friends blatantly suggesting that I deserved it. What in the actual hell?

Well then, allow me to retort. Please keep this civil. And honestly... I can't be the only one who considered doing this. I might be the only one who actually went through with it. If you cheered and laughed when a lot of us lost money? This is the result.

Please consider it next time you decide to pick on people for being bummed that a thing got nerfed. It might be that game-ruining final straw that drives one of us away. I could have gotten over the nerf eventually. The community response to it? Less. I thought you were better than that, guys.

Between that behavior and that stupid tumblr, I think I've had enough. Consider this the definitive quit thread. Useful bits start at around 2:30, if you're curious.

And no, I won't be contacting customer service and requesting a refund. I just wish I could swap my LTS to someone who honestly cares anymore.

This is gonna be my last post on this forum.

Really sad to see you go Taco. It was awesome and really fun having you with us.

I can't understand why these randoms get here derailing this thread to balance/vehicle nerf support nonsense.

Hope you have fun whatever you try and maybe see you back in CO if it ever becomes the MMO it could be.
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Take care Taco, wherever you go. A shame your game has been spoiled.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • ruprechtvandoom1ruprechtvandoom1 Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sorry to see you go Taco. You were a pillar of this community, and I hope you will fare better in other games.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm very sorry to see Taco go.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Shame to see you go, we all kinda know things aren't going uphill as of lately but I do wish you the best. You've always been kind to me Taco and I try to do the same to you so just remember there will be always be a seat for you if you ever decide to return to CO, but if you don't we totally understand ...you'll always be welcomed back if you change your mind.

Take care Taco.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For the record (yeah, I know. shut up Taco) I supported a mild nerf to the vehicles. I was ok with plasma getting the shear removed. Always have been. It's the extreme they took it to that I took a bit of exception to, and needed to take a break to recover from. It hurt, and it cost a ton of money, because only a few things on the vehicles actually did much. We've lost a bunch, this isn't just plasma beam. It's AA missiles and biosteel and most of the mods don't do anything to begin with. That stack of vehicles I was trying to nuke? Mostly extra, I sold off weapons with the bit of q I had left over, and gave the G to Firewatch. Nearly all of those characters had a fully tricked out vehicle on em.

It's the way people talked to me about it that did me in. Not the nerf. I coulda came back from it eventually. It's the people taking sincere joy in the fact that I suffered from it. That, I cannot abide. That's a thing I thought this community was above. I've done my best to research and share info with this community, to better and improve it. I'm that dumbass constantly answering questions in zone, helping the newbies. And I realize this entire topic might be cringe, but to be honest? I hope it raises an eyebrow or 2. I cared about this game a ton, and people I respected flat out attacked me over being upset about this.

I know some of y'all remember the kitchen sink bug patches, we saw our way through it with humor. We had a week with no chat client because of kitchen sink 2, and some players did /killme to write messages on the ground to each other. We banded together and laughed at it. There's *never* been a time where we mocked each other over being bummed by a nerf. Debated, sure, but insulted? That's new. And that's what prompted this.

We used to be above that kind of behavior. CO was always special because if some of us suffered we all banded together to fix it. I'm not sure what changed, but I'm not happy with where we're going.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree the nerfs suck, and it's not cool that there are jagoffs out there who get off on making fun of people. But to wipe all your characters, and give up your account, seems way too extreme. That's something you can't really come back from, and seems like a much bigger financial loss than what came from the nerfs. The sheer cost of time and money to get all of those characters where they were with what they had, on top of the money spent on the LTS, and it's now all gone. That just seems to be a worse loss than the money spent on now-nerfed vehicle mods.

I know it can hurt to be made fun of, but any "friend" who would mock you with malice, is no friend at all. People can be ignored. Anyone who wants to insult you doesn't matter in your life anyway. They're just words on a screen for you. You don't know them personally, and they have no say on how you should live your life. They are insignificant, and the only power they have is the power you allow them to have. If someone on your friend's list insults you in a hurtful way, delete that friend. If someone in chat insults you, ignore that player. If a website insults you, ignore that website and never go to it. In the end, it's just a game, and these people are no more significant to you than the guy in Kentucky, right now, going deer hunting in the woods. You don't know him, you wouldn't have even thought of him until I mentioned him. I know, I'm rambling, but hopefully you get my point.

That's just my opinion. You've made your decision, and there's no turning back now. I'm sad to see you go, and I hope you find another game that will give you the same joy this game once did.
  • guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't think we've ever chatted but I have seen some of your toons in the events and so I'm sad to see a lifer give up the game. I've never been a fan of vehicles but I know people paid real money to equip those things and so I know it hurts to see these nerfs.

Having said that, who the hell cares what the plebs say? In any community you're going to have trolls that have nothing better to do with their sad existence but to try to ruin the fun for others, and as sorry as I feel for you, that they ruined the game this much for you, I really don't know what you're intending to do with this video. People in the community that feel empathy are going to feel sad, the trolls will have a good laugh, and the folks at Cryptic North won't care unless they see it in their pocket books. I'm so sorry we're losing a valuable member of the community, and if you want sympathy you have it from me, but other then making me and other that care about the community feel bad this post doesn't serve any purpose.

I'm sorry you're leaving,
    Best of Luck
  • ethershardethershard Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I kind of wondered...in a game with travel powers, why a vehicle wasn't introduced AS a travel power ala Batmobile, etc... If I'm way off base, apologies..I'm fairly new.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ethershard wrote: »
    I kind of wondered...in a game with travel powers, why a vehicle wasn't introduced AS a travel power ala Batmobile, etc...

That's what a lot of us wondered at the time....and then gave up caring about vehicles 'cause they weren't listening.

Sad but true.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Going scorched earth on your own account because of forum PvP?

That's, um. Wow.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well then.:. Cya... Damn...

Wish ... Nvm dunno what to say...

I am just gonna stay n try to farm for em arcane tattoos (yeah thats stuff is now worth 400g, far beyond what i have) at very least... Before I find another reason to stay... If I can't... Well, goodbye CO and hello LoL.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I kind of wondered...in a game with travel powers, why a vehicle wasn't introduced AS a travel power ala Batmobile, etc... If I'm way off base, apologies..I'm fairly new.
    Mission creep, mostly. They started looking at vehicles, realized that due to certain limitations in the engine any vehicles they made would have to fly (because for some reason nobody at Cryptic really believed we'd want powered unicycles, even though I have a character that could really use one), and then someone there started in with that old troublesome phrase, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Except for certain rare situations (the new annual invasion of the Mega-Ds, the occasional fight with the Bleak Harbinger, running Sky Carrier), I still treat the vehicles as travel powers. All the vehicles I have I've gotten for free, either as gifts (BTW, ChalupaTaco, weren't you the one who gave me the Fire Ant?) or won during events; I did alter Gunrunner a little when he got the UNTIL shuttle, to explain why a rogue ex-gang member with military training is suddenly flying around in the Man's ships. The only ones I'd be tempted to spend money or Zen to get might be the Liberty Bike for Captain Americlown, or the Skyfox for the Duck Knight. Other than that, none of the vehicles are thematic for my toons, so I use them when I feel it necessary and ignore them the rest of the time. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Deleting all your vehicles and characters seems really excessive. I'd get in touch with support to see if they can at least bring back your alts (it's been known to happen, they usually keep character data...) even though the vehicles are lost.

You should never pay attention to ambient noise from Zone or whatever; there will always be people that are jealous of you and so on, just play your own game. Community in this game is what you make of it. Pick up a few global friends and run with them and have what fun you find in game.

Good luck.

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This is an incredibly depressing thread. It is a shame that a vocal minority of jerks has pushed you to take this kind of action Taco. I have seen few if any posts on this forum from people who believe the vehicle nerf in its current form is acceptable and/or people should not be given some kind of retcon for their vehicles, and zone chat has always managed to bring out the very worst in what this community has to offer( & toxic websites aimed at shaming people are even worse. ) but obviously something happened and you are driven to this sort of kneejerk reaction, that if it were me in your place I would certainly regret. There are still good people left and there is still hope that this mess is going to be fixed somehow...I am sorry you have given up hope.

Sincere Condolences, and good luck.
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    coneuronia wrote: »
    Deleting all your vehicles and characters seems really excessive. I'd get in touch with support to see if they can at least bring back your alts (it's been known to happen, they usually keep character data...) even though the vehicles are lost.

You should never pay attention to ambient noise from Zone or whatever; there will always be people that are jealous of you and so on, just play your own game. Community in this game is what you make of it. Pick up a few global friends and run with them and have what fun you find in game.

Good luck.

a rollback can be done usually within a month
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Taco are you just suffering from depression?

The deleting the character thing just looks to me like some kind of bi-polar reaction, like 'going off the deep end' and spending all your money or trashing all your beloved possessions, disregarding family and friends and running away from home.

I invested zero in the vehicles and would have locked the devs in a the root cellar of a cabin in the woods to stop them from continuing to develop them if I could have, but nothing as crazy as what you are doing.

Root cellar quarantine is totally normal, I saw it in a movie once.

You need some hugs and to get out in the sunlight more.
    A video game should not upset you so much.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Two points.

1. Taco I am sad to see you go and hope you return to us someday.
    2. Could some people in this thread please try very hard not to make it about themselves? It's not about you. It was never about you. This is about losing Taco.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Go back, reread(the entire thread), understand, and then reply. You missed the point entirely. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    taco didnt leave because of the nerf, he left from toxicity of some other players he felt were friends.
    his is a pain of betrayal not nerf tears
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    So, i can't have your stuff?
    :frown:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,089 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2014
    Let's keep this thread civil and on topic.

Best of luck out there Taco.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It is unfortunate that some people in this community and various others revel in others pain, or in other cases use it to advance their own agenda. I hope it time Taco softens on the topic of how some people have treated him / this issue and returns, but until then I hope he can find a more pleasant pursuit.
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    What a shame.
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that some people in this community and various others revel in others pain, or in other cases use it to advance their own agenda. I hope it time Taco softens on the topic of how some people have treated him / this issue and returns, but until then I hope he can find a more pleasant pursuit.

This mirrors my own thoughts.
    edited October 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »

...makes someone new to the community, not want to interact much...oh well. :frown:
  • aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ...makes someone new to the community, not want to interact much...oh well. :frown:

Of course Taco's experience is unfortunate, but all in all this is not representative for the CO community. If you read the "combat and powers" or "suggestions box" subforums you'll see lots of people being helpfull, and very little of the LTP replies you'll get on most other mmo forums.
    edited October 2014
    aiqa wrote: »
    Of course Taco's experience is unfortunate, but all in all this is not representative for the CO community. If you read the "combat and powers" or "suggestions box" subforums you'll see lots of people being helpfull, and very little of the LTP replies you'll get on most other mmo forums.

Thanks. :wink:
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't know you personally, but whatever's causing an amount of emotional turmoil for you to enough to do something that drastic, well, it's probably best that you pursue something else. Best of luck.
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    skylyger wrote: »
    No gamer for any reason should ever side with the company against a fellow gamer, yet since launch the hate against those who played clones, and the need to play rent a pig for the corporation has given birth to an ever widening wedge.

That's ridiculous. Just because a gamer is a gamer doesn't make them right.

I've heard plenty of crap from players in this game and they were dead wrong.

"There's no development, game's too easy, game's too hard, nobody teams, we need more RP locations, bla bla bla"
    Dead wrong gamers all around the grid. Hell even I was wrong when I suggested vehicles back in 2011.

Did the people who encouraged Cryptic to keep circle jerking with the vehicles deserve what they got? Well , I don't really know what they got because I didn't encourage Cryptic to screw around for two years making something that didn't improve the game experience.
    Those people that did sided with the developers against the overall welfare of the game.
    I'm sure they can't see it this way, they want to be the victims instead of realizing they were the real threat all along.
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Sad to see ya go, Taco. But hope ya can find something else to be motivated and inspired about. Sometimes it is better to just walk away and move on.

Be safe out there.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I'm so sorry to see that, Taco...

I'm really sad to see you leaving, and I get it... I truly get your point of view about everything.
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Aww.... I'm going to miss you. :(
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Not to sound heartless, but if it's mostly the malevolent jerks that were the problem, quitting the game isn't going to do jack. Avoiding the disgusting monsters whose sole purpose is to antagonize requires no less than complete real-life isolation, and even THEN, they'll find you. It's abhorrent, but it's the way of the world. I'm not fond of all the statements that make it sound like this is exclusive to Champions.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited October 2014

But I won't stop anyone from leaving. It's their decision and it is on them if they'll regret it later or not.

I think this is the devs' way of giving us a challenge.

Yeah, what stops me from being active ever anymore isn't the fact that vehicles were nerfed but because vehicles were nerfed instead of other things that would make the game a little more interesting to come back to such as powers. Say what you like about nerfs but they change the FOTM or in CO's case FOT3Y.
This discussion has been closed.