test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lore-wise how strong is Gravitar?

mirrormirortashamirrormirortasha Posts: 11 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Champions Pen and Paper RPG
A situation has turned up in my game where one of the players has provoked a possible confrontation with her. So now I have several questions about her potency.

How would someone with Power Girl stats stand up to her? Would it be an instant squashfest, could the character last a few or would said character actually stand a micro hair chance of winning?

Could Gravitar actually take on the likes of Thanos, Galactus, Doomsday, Darkseid or Brainiac-13? The book I have stated that she is slightly more powerful than Firewing (who I know almost next to nothing about) and that she fought Dr Destroyer to a standstill twice (which really doesn't tell me much i terms of direct confrontiveness).

In terms of resistance, how vulnerable would she be to say magic, psionics (would emma frost or phoenix whup her?) or even someone with Hulk or Superman powers pummeling her.
Post edited by mirrormirortasha on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Well, I think that would depend on if powergirl actually has the same power level as Superman.

Because superman literally has no limits and is as strong as he needs to be. he could squash gravitar simply because he's pretty much all powerful.

Unless gravitar has kryptonite then she squashes him.

Power Girl is not as strong as Super Man but her superspeed is a bit better so she might be more balanced. Plus I think gravity control could still do a number on a Kryptonian.
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Posts: 520 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    It's quite simple.

Gravitar is based on Marvel Comics Graviton.

They have around the same power level.

Since Graviton is much more established, you can use him as a yard stick to measure by.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Um, talking about this guy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton_(comics)

Not the theoretical particle.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Graviton is a good example of the range of Gravitar's powers, although the magnitude of force she can exert isn't quite as great as his. In that department I'd peg her closer to Magneto in his prime, although she isn't as limited in the types of matter or energy she can affect.

Probably her most impressive feat was in 2006, when she lifted the entire American Capitol Building (with Congress inside it) 500 feet into the air, and threatened to drop it unless the United States accepted her rule.

Gravitar has a strong will, but no other defenses against mind-affecting powers. She's no pushover versus mentalists, but a particularly powerful telepath like Professor X would probably overwhelm her. She also has no special protection against magic, but neither is she particularly vulnerable to it.

Gravitar is superhumanly strong, fast, and tough, but nowhere near Power Girl's level. She's also a very capable scientist, and if she put her mind to it could probably invent devices to amplify her power further. In her secret ID she's ridiculously wealthy, and could afford to buy equipment, bases, and agents. But she's never done these things, apparently wanting to prove she can conquer the world through personal power alone.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    By fighting destroyer to a standstill, they're basically saying "She can fight Doom to a draw", destroyer being Doom with the numbers filed off.

That, more than anything, is a good indicator of how powerful she is.

Firewing, as well... He goes around picking fights with literally the strongest people he can get his hands on. He doesn't lose. Firewing is a challenge for a team of experienced heroes. Grav being stronger than him, even by a tad? Firewing's mythical by even malvan standards, and they're all about the combat. That should say something too.

Other than that? Bulgarex is right about her weaknesses. I think her strengths are being downplayed a tad, she really is one of the stronger people in all of the champs lore, but her flaws are pretty direct. I'm not sure how great of an idea it'd be for a player to force a straight up brawl with her, she kinda beats up cities. She also went toe to toe with Mechanon. Twice.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    So did Warlord.

Honestly, I wouldn't wanna solo them in pnp either.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Obviously those who play the MMO know how bad Gravitar can be. The only reason I am not completely impressed by her "standstills" over Destroyer is the fact that yes...he is comparable to Doom and as impressive as Doom is, he usually wins his battles through minions or prep which seems to be Destroyer's MO as well.

I still need to know if she could possibly stand against beings like Thanos or Istvatha V'han.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Stronger than Gravitaque, weaker than Gravitas.
    (get it? Q, R, S?)
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Obviously those who play the MMO know how bad Gravitar can be. The only reason I am not completely impressed by her "standstills" over Destroyer is the fact that yes...he is comparable to Doom and as impressive as Doom is, he usually wins his battles through minions or prep which seems to be Destroyer's MO as well.
    By fighting destroyer to a standstill, they're basically saying "She can fight Doom to a draw", destroyer being Doom with the numbers filed off.

>.> Destroyer isn't Doom. Destroyer hates magic too much while Doom pretty much embraces it... Plus Destroyer works too much with minions and such and just gives a giant "IDGAF" when it comes to laws while Doom prefers to get in your face about his victory while hiding behind international law. Destroyer would be more along the lines of Red Skull in the Crimson Dynamo suit.

Doom's counterpart, if you call it that, is Professor Muerte (random info: Spanish comics even call him Dr. Muerte). Terror, Inc. (Muerte's group) is basically if Doom created the Fantastic Four.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Again, it depends on Thanos's power level at the time...like, max power, Infinity Gauntlet with all Gems, he was destroying Celestials and wiping out literally *half of all life in the universe* in a promise to Death.

This was during a What If...? issue where the Newer Fantastic Four confronted Thanos, the Newer Fantastic Four being Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, and Wolverine.

This was also a comic book where Stark discovered that The Celestials controlled their armor via sheer willpower and thought alone, he powered Ziran the Tester's armor by hooking it up to the Negative Zone and configured it to be controlled by a Human, and attacked Thanos with it.

Thanos stopped this assault with a mere gesture.

Then again, he did get killed by Drax the Destroyer one time.

So it depends on the writer and his power status.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    In that case, isn't Doom Dead? Wasn't Muerte the guy sealed in his armor and dropped into the river etc?

SUPPOSEDLY dead. They've never really confirmed his death, though. Yes, he was betrayed by two members who then went to Eurostar (names I can't remember ATM) by being sealed in his armor and effectively having his skin set on fire.

THAT BEING SAID..this is Champions where the most dangerous man on the planet can survive being exploded by an orbital cannon and either escape into space (official) or be sent to Multifaria (CO). And a man like Muerte, IMO, doesn't stay dead for long.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Just to clarify, by the PnP lore Gravitar has never faced Dr. Destroyer in battle, either the original one or Shadow Destroyer. She has publicly expressed scorn for Destroyer's "cowardice" for "hiding behind" legions of agents and robots. Now that the real Dr. D is back, she's guaranteed to be on his list of people who need to be taught respect.

Gravitar has fought Mechanon twice, yes. He's a pretty clear Ultron analogue. Also Firewing at least once. Firewing's powers resemble those of Marvel Comics's Firelord, but probably one rung down the ladder from Firelord.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

I still need to know if she could possibly stand against beings like Thanos or Istvatha V'han.

Dr. Destroyer isn't quite comparable to Dr. Doom. He is a scientific genius, and is capable of great patience and subtlety in his schemes. But when he confronts his enemies directly, he tries to overwhelm them by sheer power. His armor has weaponry as strong as any attack by any superhuman on Earth. You may be familiar with the times in comic stories that Iron Man has donned his giant "Hulk-Buster" armor, or massively boosted his normal armor's capabilities by connecting it to a big external power source, like a commercial nuclear power plant. Destroyer's armor is like that, all the time.

Could Gravitar stand up to Thanos? I'm inclined to doubt it, at least not for an extended period. Thanos has overmatched Thor and the Silver Surfer, and Gravitar isn't quite in their league. Against Istvatha V'han, it depends entirely on what help she brings along. V'han on her own is definitely no match for Gravitar; but she commands nearly infinite high-tech armies, fleets of starships, and thousands of superhumans, some of them rivaling Gravitar herself.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkkDkDnqCyc

...just wanna bring this to light.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Again, it depends on Thanos's power level at the time...like, max power, Infinity Gauntlet with all Gems, he was destroying Celestials and wiping out literally *half of all life in the universe* in a promise to Death.

This was during a What If...? issue where the Newer Fantastic Four confronted Thanos, the Newer Fantastic Four being Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Hulk, and Wolverine.

This was also a comic book where Stark discovered that The Celestials controlled their armor via sheer willpower and thought alone, he powered Ziran the Tester's armor by hooking it up to the Negative Zone and configured it to be controlled by a Human, and attacked Thanos with it.

Thanos stopped this assault with a mere gesture.

Then again, he did get killed by Drax the Destroyer one time.

So it depends on the writer and his power status.

Sigh, as a Thanos fan I hate when people bring up the Infinity Gauntlet. Even Jubilee coud have had that much power under those circumstances. I have read all the Infinity stuff post Gauntlet and it seems to me Thanos is smarter than Doom, stronger than the Hulk and wields more firepower than Iron Man. The only reason he lost to Drax (and Squirrel Girl) is because Starlin was on the outs with Marvel and they wanted to take the screws to his character.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I get the feeling that Jim Starlin came to love his creation too much. By the time of the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, Starlin was writing Thanos like his own Mary Sue: the perfect villain, without flaw or weakness, smarter than everyone, always winning the war even if he lost a battle. Personally I find that kind of villain boring to read stories about. There's no challenge for them, no suspense, no human frailties to identify with. IMHO Thanos needed a little wind let out of him... although Squirrel Girl may have been too absurdly small a pin.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkkDkDnqCyc

...just wanna bring this to light.

Like I always say: the most powerful entity in any comic-book universe, is the writer. :wink:
  • Options
    queencestaqueencesta Posts: 17 Arc User
    PnP Gravitar is pretty beastly, but has psychological weaknesses galore as well as relatively exploitable holes in her defenses. In game? I've made soloing her a point of accomplishment on various solo PvE builds which, as far as I'm concerned, means that our characters can effectively rival the likes of Gravitar in relative power (because it sure can go sideways fast and its never a short or one-sided fight).

Feels reasonable to me. Not like anyone beyond me has to care too much about what I think anyway though ^.^
  • Options
    Superman and Darkseid have had close, intense fights in the past. Anybody below their power level who tries to fight either of them one-on-one, is toast. But how many supers, hero or villain, does DC have in their weight class? Very few. IMHO that's how it should be in super game settings, as well.

FWIW the Champions Universe does have heroes who are at or near the top rung most arch-villains occupy: the Archmage, Celestar, Albion, Tetsuronin, the Drifter, Hyperion, Ushas, the StarGuards, Rashindar. Beyond those you're starting to encroach on cosmic-entity territory.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Or, unfortunately, a bad writer. :/

"Writer" is actually more powerful than Plot. In fact if it's a bad writer, Plot may not even enter the picture. :(
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    In that case, isn't Doom Dead? Wasn't Muerte the guy sealed in his armor and dropped into the river etc?

SUPPOSEDLY dead. They've never really confirmed his death, though. Yes, he was betrayed by two members who then went to Eurostar (names I can't remember ATM) by being sealed in his armor and effectively having his skin set on fire.

THAT BEING SAID..this is Champions where the most dangerous man on the planet can survive being exploded by an orbital cannon and either escape into space (official) or be sent to Multifaria (CO). And a man like Muerte, IMO, doesn't stay dead for long.

Doctor Destroyer didn't go to Multifaria after the canon, and it's official in the books to. Doctor Destroyer waited, and when he was about to reveal himself, Shadow Destroyer appeared and Doctor Destroyer waited more to learn about the person that was daring to call himself Destroyer. He followed him to Multifaria and was going to attack but he got captured. And as far as Doctor Destroyer's escape, he teleported away.​​
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!