Install Arc
Options

ACTION NEWS: Mechanon, the Myth, the Menace, the Machine

tigerofcachticetigerofcachtice Posts: 551 Arc User
JD1.PNG?psid=1

JD2.PNG?psid=1

JD3.PNG?psid=1

JD4.PNG?psid=1

Hi guys, Mechanon is one of the most referenced characters in the game, but we never saw him until today's preview of Steel Crusade. This humble comic presents his background from Champions Villains Volume 1.

Don't worry, while this comic presents ideas highly relevant to the upcoming expansion, it has no actual spoilers. I've recently learned that people in the Champions universe know very little about Mechanon's origins.

Only 1 character, who doesn't appear in CO, knows the very bizarre truth about Mechanon.

His big revelation is not his origin, but his goal, not his past, but his future. It surprised me, but made sense. He's not an expy of Brainaic or Ultron, he's...other, and I sincerely hope I represented that authentically here.
Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
More action at Champions Online Comics @ http://co-comics.webs.com
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Nicely done! I particularly like the grainy 'film footage' of the metal menace, Gives him a very creepy feel.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Really nicely done. Thanks!

Also, here's an old fan produced bit of video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLelCDehnk
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I spit coffee at my screen at the description of Gadget Boy.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    dddeemmdddeemm Posts: 23
    edited August 2014

That's actually freaking awesome.
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We Didn"t Know! we Didn't Know ! ! ! ! ! !
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Awesome as always, BB!! :biggrin:
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,091 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2014
    gadg.png

Awesome work.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »
    gadg.png

That is truly great. Very well played.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Based on what was said on the blog post...that is surprisingly on point. At least based on what is known so far.
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    One thing I've never understood about these super-intelligent haters of humanity such as Mechanon, Ultron, etc., is why do they always adopt the inefficient bipedal forms of the lifeforms they claim to hate more than any?

I know that Ultron started out essentially humanoid as a creation of Pym; how about Mechanon? I don't enough about his origins to say, but regardless, these beings are masters of technology who can recreate themselves in pretty much any form they choose. Or they could choose no form at all and remain nigh unkillable while manipulating the world around them through captured or created technology. I realize that would create a difficult boss fight (Ultron actually did remain mostly intangible during one of his most recent attacks on Earth and had to be defeated via a viral subroutine) but of all the forms they could choose, why do they choose to handicap themselves as humanoids?
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well, the very 1st Ultron wasn't really menacing looking....
    2448445-4272.jpg
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    helbjorn wrote: »
    why do they choose to handicap themselves as humanoids?

Because comic book genre.

Most opponents are humanoid because it's easier to crank up twenty pages per month when you can draw anyone and anything by penciling details over the same base template.

And after a decade or two this way of work becomes "canon".
  • Options
    coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *Applauds*

Very well done, hope to see more like this down the road. :)

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    1st of all, thanks to everyone for reading.
    helbjorn wrote: »
    One thing I've never understood about these super-intelligent haters of humanity such as Mechanon, Ultron, etc., is why do they always adopt the inefficient bipedal forms of the lifeforms they claim to hate more than any?

...how about Mechanon?

An excellent question. I feel as you do, our form is bad engineering. We rely on conveniences like cars and computers, than complain when we're out of shape with carpal tunnel.

From the artists' perspective, it's as meeda said, humanoids are what they know how to draw.

From the comic book editors' perspective, it's about what people want to see/read/buy. We can relate to something that looks like us. Once there is that relationship between character and the audience, they can understand it easier, appreciate the significance. If cows created comics for other cows to read, these villains would look vaguely cow-like, I promise you.

But your question was related to, well, what's the narrative reason? The above behind-the-scenes stuff, yeah, you know that, but give us a plausible explanation to buy the story!

For the case of Ultron, there is a reason. He was designed by Hank Pym (Ant Man) to be an artificial intelligence. To engineer this, he had...a template (like artists with theirs, so meta, right?). In that case, Pym used his own brainwaves. Thus, despite Ultron's hatred, there are certain human, or at least Pym-like, tendencies. It's like legacy code, you have to keep certain things to make it compatible to new improvements, even though it's inefficient. So Ultron still retains that humanoid form "out of habit", technically Hank Pym's habit of being human. He also retained other things, like a love for Hank Pym's ex-wife. For fun, compare Ultron's head/face to Ant Man's original helmet; I don't think the similarity's accidental.

For the case of Mechanon, there IS a reason. Without going into spoiler territory, there is a perversion to him. The obliteration of organic life is Mechanon's goal, but it is NOT his only goal. If you really want to know in advance (as MAYBE it'll be touched on in Steel Crusade), just let me know, here in this thread, by PM, or find me in game. Not holding out on you, bro, I just don't want to spoil it for others.

But there is a clue in the comic of why Mechanon looks vaguely humanoid. The whole comic is about interpretations, as only 1 person in the Champions setting knows the truth, the rest are just interpreting what they themselves perceive of Mechanon. Of those, it's Sister SATA who's the closest to understanding why Mechanon seems to like humanoid forms...and his end goal.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    1st of all, thanks to everyone for reading.

An excellent question. I feel as you do, our form is bad engineering. We rely on conveniences like cars and computers, than complain when we're out of shape with carpal tunnel.

From the artists' perspective, it's as meeda said, humanoids are what they know how to draw.

From the comic book editors' perspective, it's about what people want to see/read/buy. We can relate to something that looks like us. Once there is that relationship between character and the audience, they can understand it easier, appreciate the significance. If cows created comics for other cows to read, these villains would look vaguely cow-like, I promise you.

But your question was related to, well, what's the narrative reason? The above behind-the-scenes stuff, yeah, you know that, but give us a plausible explanation to buy the story!

For the case of Ultron, there is a reason. He was designed by Hank Pym (Ant Man) to be an artificial intelligence. To engineer this, he had...a template (like artists with theirs, so meta, right?). In that case, Pym used his own brainwaves. Thus, despite Ultron's hatred, there are certain human, or at least Pym-like, tendencies. It's like legacy code, you have to keep certain things to make it compatible to new improvements, even though it's inefficient. So Ultron still retains that humanoid form "out of habit", technically Hank Pym's habit of being human. He also retained other things, like a love for Hank Pym's ex-wife. For fun, compare Ultron's head/face to Ant Man's original helmet; I don't think the similarity's accidental.

For the case of Mechanon, there IS a reason. Without going into spoiler territory, there is a perversion to him. The obliteration of organic life is Mechanon's goal, but it is NOT his only goal. If you really want to know in advance (as MAYBE it'll be touched on in Steel Crusade), just let me know, here in this thread, by PM, or find me in game. Not holding out on you, bro, I just don't want to spoil it for others.

But there is a clue in the comic of why Mechanon looks vaguely humanoid. The whole comic is about interpretations, as only 1 person in the Champions setting knows the truth, the rest are just interpreting what they themselves perceive of Mechanon. Of those, it's Sister SATA who's the closest to understanding why Mechanon seems to like humanoid forms...and his end goal.

So practically, this update will bring in a Terminator-like scenario where his machines will not only those who will exterminate humanity, but will also act as their replacements as dominant species. Right?
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Heh i love this..

That static in the first few panels was a really nice touch.. kinda reminds me of those horror movies. None the less i look forward to more of these comics. Top quality stuff, keep it up. :biggrin:
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    oddbirdyoddbirdy Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Bravo, that was really well done. I love it. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    So practically, this update will bring in a Terminator-like scenario where his machines will not only those who will exterminate humanity, but will also act as their replacements as dominant species. Right?

There's nothing unique and original for Skynet in this kind of plan. It's an old sci-fi trope of rebel machines.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The human body works, but it's hardly the model of efficiency. Unstable two-legged platform alone screws that, and that has nothing to do with modern society. We forced ourselves upright so we could use hands better and the ones that could do that proliferated. It's not like anyone designed us, that's just how evolution works. Efficiency isn't the "goal", it's all about "living long enough to breed".
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Realistically there's no need for humanoid body for a machine.

Machines aren't a product of evolution on Earth where everything with spine and spinal cord is bound to have only four limbs.

Humans have two hands and two legs because we are product of the same evolution that resulted with quadripedal anatomy for anything else. Two legs minimum are needed for walking, so we can have only two hands. And birds can have only two wings.

Machine don't need to be limited to two legs only, or two hands only. It can be built in any shape desired.

Asimov gave a reasoning for building humanoid robots and it was completely logical, but catch was... It was suitable only for robots built by humans to work in human society. And said machines had to be of human size. Not bigger, not smaller.
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2014

The reason that Tiger alludes to was the basis for a suggestion for a new zone, or at least a mission site, that I posted to these forums a couple of years ago. For those interested I'll provide a link to the thread below, but be warned that it is a SPOILER for what Tiger is talking about.

Repeat, SPOILER: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=143351
  • Options
    bulgarexbulgarex Posts: 2,310 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The human body works, but it's hardly the model of efficiency. Unstable two-legged platform alone screws that, and that has nothing to do with modern society. We forced ourselves upright so we could use hands better and the ones that could do that proliferated. It's not like anyone designed us, that's just how evolution works. Efficiency isn't the "goal", it's all about "living long enough to breed".

Our skeletal structure isn't well suited to bipedal locomotion, either. Knees and hips are typically the first joints to wear out, because they're supporting weight and distributing shocks meant to be spread among four limbs. And a flexible multi-segmented column is a poor structure to hold an upright body together, as testified to by all the back and neck problems people typically experience over time.
  • Options
    bellatorrexbellatorrex Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    We aren't a efficient lot but we are a resilient and stubborn one. The human race will do it's damnest to prove they are like cockroaches and try to be around forever. That's probably the only fact you'll ever have to know. Though on the reason why so many things that are mechanical take humanoid forms. It's probably a case of you are what you hate.
    edited August 2014
    Thanks for the link. Those were excellent ideas 2 and a half years ago and still are today. From the info we have so far you may well have been a prophet. I hope so, anyway, that would be some great content.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At last....

A foe truly worthy of my haymaker...

caligastamp.png
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    you just said it has nothing to do with modern society, then explained what part of modern society it has to do with.

But your statement made no sense and he was right.

Human society was created by bipedal creatures with two eyes and two hands and tailored specifically for bipedal creatures withto eyes and two hands.

It couldn't be better suited for our shape. Stairs, benches, beds, streetwalks. Everything around us is built to our shape.

Look how many problems people on wheelchairs are facing just because they are no longer functionally bipedal.

It's our shape what forced some things in our society, not the other way around.
  • Options
    decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    gradii needs to define terms, then:

you just said it has nothing to do with modern society, then explained what part of modern society it has to do with.

It has nothing at all to do with modern SOCIETY. Using hands isn't a social construct, it's a function issue.

EDIT: Ah, covered already.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    ...where the heck did this thread go? u3u

I need to start posting more, you guys go wildly off topic when I don't.
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    *C* Comics rule!

Great job with Big M. :biggrin: Makes me curious who this 'one' person is in Champions lore who knows about Mechanon's background (I don't own the sourcebooks).
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Great job with Big M. :biggrin: Makes me curious who this 'one' person is in Champions lore who knows about Mechanon's background (I don't own the sourcebooks).

I'd be happy to help. If you like, I'll share relevant info over PM, but not here, because spoilers.

And this is for everyone. If you'd like to know, reply to this thread or PM me, I'll PM when I can.
    Banner%20Try%20Again.jpg
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'd be happy to help. If you like, I'll share relevant info over PM, but not here, because spoilers.

And this is for everyone. If you'd like to know, reply to this thread or PM me, I'll PM when I can.

Yes, I'd like to know. :smile: Please PM me when you get a chance.

'cause knowing your opponent is half the battle. :biggrin:
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Cheers to this thread, and great work with the comic.