test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are people such grumpy groos?

mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
Why are so many people so grumpy about the update? It wasn't like you guys were expecting any update anyway.

I'll tell you what if the word "PvP" is ever mentioned in a CO update again I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't care what it was all that I would care about was that the small team we have working on CO has managed to get something new made that we'll be able to play or will improve the game in some way. All I would care about is that maybe things are looking up for once.

So the next update will be to please everyone who doesn't like any grind. First they'll give out a bunch of new powers and give everyone a free respec. Then they'll give every a bunch of new costume pieces and show a cutscene where your character tanks the entire world of villainy at the same time and kills them all. I'm sorry but that doesn't sound like a good update to me and even if you did have to run content to get them but the costumes were too easy to get most likely they'd end up like the new costumes from rampages which dropped way too frequently and they'd sell for a couple of G each.

Enjoy what you are getting and hope that we continue to have development like this on CO. This is only the beginning.
Post edited by mrhinkypunk on

Comments

• meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    So the next update will be to please everyone who doesn't like any grind. First they'll give out a bunch of new powers and give everyone a free respec. Then they'll give every a bunch of new costume pieces and show a cutscene where your character tanks the entire world of villainy at the same time and kills them all. [/I]I'm sorry but that doesn't sound like a good update to me and even if you did have to run content to get them but the costumes were too easy to get most likely they'd end up like the new costumes from rampages which dropped way too frequently and they'd sell for a couple of G each.

People would complain about the cutscene anyway.
  • gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Why are so many people so grumpy about the update? It wasn't like you guys were expecting any update anyway.

I'll tell you what if the word "PvP" is ever mentioned in a CO update again I'd be ecstatic. I wouldn't care what it was all that I would care about was that the small team we have working on CO has managed to get something new made that we'll be able to play or will improve the game in some way. All I would care about is that maybe things are looking up for once.

So the next update will be to please everyone who doesn't like any grind. First they'll give out a bunch of new powers and give everyone a free respec. Then they'll give every a bunch of new costume pieces and show a cutscene where your character tanks the entire world of villainy at the same time and kills them all. I'm sorry but that doesn't sound like a good update to me and even if you did have to run content to get them but the costumes were too easy to get most likely they'd end up like the new costumes from rampages which dropped way too frequently and they'd sell for a couple of G each.

Enjoy what you are getting and hope that we continue to have development like this on CO. This is only the beginning.

Since yesterday, there has been a lot of speculation on the few instances of information we has been given so far. We should probably wait for more details before making a serious critic.

For me, I am giving a vote of confidence given that it seems to be at least better than last year updates. I think it is unrealistic to expect too different magniture of content release, but progressive improvements is something that shows not only that Cryptic North still care about CO
    but also that they are trying to get back in the competition.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2014

You know how some people around here like to say "Some people complain just to complain, and they will complain no matter what"?

Well, people are lining up to identify themselves as the subjects of those statements.

Gus: I'm hungry, there's never anything to eat around here.

Barbara: I brought food, it's still in the car lemme go grab it.

Gus: Oh great, now I have to wait for food that's going to taste terrible and make me sick.

Barbara: *forcefeeds the food to Gus* ^_^
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In general, people are unhappy due to unrealistic expectations.

Their disappointment has nothing to do with anything they were supposedly promised. But everything to do with a conversation they are having in their own heads.

I'm actually happy with the direction this announcement seems to indicate. I don't expect huge "STO" style gigantic content updates. But if we continue to get regular updates along the lines of this latest announcements.. I'll be more than satisfied.

But then I have realistic expectations. :smile:
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People would complain about the cutscene anyway.

*cutscene ends and gives everyone 1k globals and a free character slot that's automatically level 40*

"IT WAS UNSKIPPABLE! GOD I HATE THIS GAME".
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    *cutscene ends and gives everyone 1k globals and a free character slot that's automatically level 40*

"IT WAS UNSKIPPABLE! GOD I HATE THIS GAME".

Oh great, now I have to farm rampages on the new character.

THANKS COBAMA.
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And then there's the opposite end of the spectrum where you have players whose expectations have been brought so low that the devs could literally relieve themselves in their hands and they would defend it to the death as "new content".

See, exaggeration is easy.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You know how some people around here like to say "Some people complain just to complain, and they will complain no matter what"?

Well, people are lining up to identify themselves as the subjects of those statements.

Gus: Oh great, now I have to wait for food that's going to taste terrible and make me sick.

"OH GREAT NOW YOU ARE FORCING ME TO EAT THIS?"

Yup.
    edited August 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    edited August 2014
    edited August 2014
    Lol calm down guys, I was just wondering why so many people were being so grumpy about this all. <_<

I can't wait for it to come onto the PTS, I hope we'll get to test the powers out also as most likely if we don't test the powers before they are put into the game they'll have some totally messed up exploit which will allow some crazy stuff to happen. Powers are always somewhere that bad things can come from to affect a lot of the game so yeah we need to be able to test those for sure.
    edited August 2014
    Lol calm down guys, I was just wondering why so many people were being so grumpy about this all. <_<

I can't wait for it to come onto the PTS, I hope we'll get to test the powers out also as most likely if we don't test the powers before they are put into the game they'll have some totally messed up exploit which will allow some crazy stuff to happen. Powers are always somewhere that bad things can come from to affect a lot of the game so yeah we need to be able to test those for sure.

I hope it never ends up on the PTS and that they instead got some money for actual professional testing and it's actually just going to drop to live one day fully tested for the sole purpose of making it as new as possible when it hits the community.

Even if it's only a one time expenditure.
    edited August 2014
    I think people are mostly grumpy because this stuff isn't catering to their specific desires. This happens a lot regardless of what's being added. (See Gradii's posts above.)
    edited August 2014
    I hope it never ends up on the PTS and that they instead got some money for actual professional testing and it's actually just going to drop to live one day fully tested for the sole purpose of making it as new as possible when it hits the community.

Even if it's only a one time expenditure.

They don't even have those on NW, they use the community to test everything over there too. <_<
    edited August 2014
    They don't even have those on NW, they use the community to test everything over there too. <_<

People are grumpy because every time they try to dream YOU show up and tell them their dreams are wrong u3u
    edited August 2014
    People are grumpy because every time they try to dream YOU show up and tell them their dreams are wrong u3u

2bad.

19c4b355b97c2375505a52fec16ad1e2eb9679c1f18ac2e57d318fb3597ab090.jpg

:D
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I assume that people are grumpy cause they haven't eaten any cheesecake for the day... but that could just be me :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    People are grumpy because they want to become photo memes on the intercats.

Gogo Grumpy Hoomin.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2014

I'm not sure what you mean. Aside from a few very vocal posters (you'll notice a large volume of the complaints are the same two or three people posting the same thing over and over again), I've only seen excitement that we're finally getting something that harkens back to the Comic Series and Adventure Packs of old.
    edited August 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean. Aside from a few very vocal posters (you'll notice a large volume of the complaints are the same two or three people posting the same thing over and over again), I've only seen excitement that we're finally getting something that harkens back to the Comic Series and Adventure Packs of old.

internet_brofist_by_sharkayartist-d5knmyp.png

Because when I finally see new content, I wanna ignore all of it and just latch on to the 2-3 things I don't like about it. Yesssssssss gooooooooooooooooooood. Let the hate flow through you.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Close
    Barbara(my name) NO problem, you get none. Hands out muffins to everyone else.
    I'm not worried about the new content. New AT to try (more alts) more powers to make up half arsed builds(more alts)
    Need more costumes for more alts.

did I mention, I get to make more alts?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Guys, if you have a problem with each other, just don't reply to each others' posts. Yes it's sad that we don't have an ignore feature, but just do it like you do in real life.
    biffsig.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Groo does not know the meaning of the word "grumpy"! Also the words "prevaricate", "mendicant", and "mulch".
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I for one look forward to this update.

Despite this I find myself wondering how many things it'll break. It's sad I know. But I can't help thinking that something crazy may accompany it.

Like things breaking severely (Gravitar appearing in open world downtown) or something strange.

It hasn't come out yet...isn't on PTS either right now (though I am sure they are working to put it on asap)

So all this negativity is a waste of time, just be patient and test it out.

I don't see why we SHOULDNT have to "work" for access to new powers. Its not like the levelling will be that much different...as far as we know.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm quite happy because a) Even with the LTS sale I was only mostly convinced that we'd ever get new content again. b) Finally, MECHANON! c) THIS IS JUST THE ANNIVERSARY EVENT!

And again, if they're actively tying to get us to play more ATs then they'll probably attempt to fix the ATs (but later). This update sounds like it's essentially made of win. I can hardly wait.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

edited August 2014
    I don't really see leveling a new AT to be that big of a deal. You'll get experience with the powers, you'd feel that much better that you managed to get it that far and you'll be able to slap those powers onto whatever ultra dude bro toon you want after that.

Think of it as a little challenge rather than a slog.
    edited August 2014
    gradii wrote: »

Pushing ATs on us will not.

However, we'll see how long they persist in this strategy after the complaints start rolling in from ALL players on LIVE, rather than a tiny sample.

Whether or not people actually level the AT, player feedback is player feedback.

Are you even aware of what powers this AT will have? Or how it will play?

Or did you just see the word "AT" and go off on one cause that very much seems like what is going on here. Which isn't a surprise but whatever.

I don't think level 40s will complain that they have something to do. Especially if it is NEW. (Even if it isn't new..it leads to a reward which is NEW)

Until you know exactly how this AT will play out, you're spamming threads with negative comments based on mountains of ZERO testing or evidence.

What will you do if player feedback is positive? In case you haven't noticed...the AT isn't the only thing we are getting out of this update.
    edited August 2014
    Like things breaking severely (Gravitar appearing in open world downtown) or something strange.

They'd probably call that a feature...

And too be honest so would I. :D
    edited August 2014

It would be cool if it was planned. But if not a poor lvl 22-27s or so could be running around Downtown only to get this:

*Player X casually runs through Downtown...and is suddenly caught in a bubble*

"YOU JUST AREN'T MY TYPE!"

[Combat (Self)] Gravitar deals 50,000,000 Crushing Damage to you with Force Detonation.

DED.

:eek:
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It would be cool if it was planned. But if not a poor lvl 22-27s or so could be running around Downtown only to get this:

[Combat (Self)] Gravitar deals 50,000,000 Crushing Damage to you with Force Detonation.

DED.

It was my very first day playing WoW. I'd just killed some pigs and spiders, saying farewell to Goldshire, happily strolling in to the capital city, walking over a bridge, just looking around at the scenerOH MY GOD, WHAT IS GOING ON, WHO ARE ALL THESE MONSTERS?!

It turns out the Horde players had decided to freaking raid the city, and here's me, a new little level 6 or so Warrior, scared to death that these guys were going to murder me for the rest of my life. It was absolutely amazing to watch. I ran around a corner and hoped that maybe none of them noticed me. (I didn't know that they couldn't attack me on my own home turf, but that's neither here nor there.) This happened over 8 years ago, and it's one of my fondest memories playing that game.

I think getting splatted by Gravitar's orange bubble while turning in some podunk mission at HairyCop guy and getting knocked clear over the city and landing on top of the WCOC building would be absolutely sensational. :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited August 2014

After that kind of hit, your character wouldn't respawn for a month.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited August 2014

DED.

I fail to see the problem here. :cool:

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

• lestylolestylo Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited August 2014

DED.

That would be awesome. Some of my fondest memories in other mmos is going to an area with people far stronger than me and seeing how far I could go before getting one-shotted or randomly encountering an enemy far stronger than anything within that vicinity.

Also, it would be pretty cool if some of the stronger characters showed the same aggressiveness the monsters in Neverwinter do, some chasing you across the map like you insulted their mother.
    "I tried to look at that page but saw only inane comments."
    edited August 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    Close
    Barbara(my name) NO problem, you get none. Hands out muffins to everyone else.

That's the thing though.. Gus is getting the food no matter how much he complains o3o

And I get the feeling Gus will only get more sour and complainy as he watches Gavin scarf it down with a big smile on his nose... I mean face.

I'd like to see them turn the entirety of the Millenium City into the Zombie Apocalypse hero game for a bit owo

Fond memories of the scourge invasion in wow and being a zombie....LOL BRENZ (~^3^)~
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    It was my very first day playing WoW. I'd just killed some pigs and spiders, saying farewell to Goldshire, happily strolling in to the capital city, walking over a bridge, just looking around at the scenerOH MY GOD, WHAT IS GOING ON, WHO ARE ALL THESE MONSTERS?!

It turns out the Horde players had decided to freaking raid the city, and here's me, a new little level 6 or so Warrior, scared to death that these guys were going to murder me for the rest of my life. It was absolutely amazing to watch. I ran around a corner and hoped that maybe none of them noticed me. (I didn't know that they couldn't attack me on my own home turf, but that's neither here nor there.) This happened over 8 years ago, and it's one of my fondest memories playing that game.

I think getting splatted by Gravitar's orange bubble while turning in some podunk mission at HairyCop guy and getting knocked clear over the city and landing on top of the WCOC building would be absolutely sensational. :biggrin:

you got to the city. I had a troll shaman plant their totems in front of the first mission giver and repeat slaughter all the couple of dozen level 1-6 players until they stopped respawning.

Strangely enough, this got so bad they had to block higher level characters form the start areas.
    Fun was getting the Fish in the enemy capital perk.
    You see the low level horde players, watch you turn up go "uh oh" and then see you pull out a fishing rod and fish.
    WE had a rule, no attacking anyone fishing in the capitals. That way everyone could get the perk done.
    Doing anything else, you were fair game
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• bobj021960bobj021960 Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited August 2014

DED.

===============================================
    or a random Cosmic boss does invade RenCen in an unexpected Open Mission untill everyone killed it or a time limit expired.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Fond memories of the scourge invasion in wow and being a zombie....LOL BRENZ (~^3^)~
    Unpleasant memories of the same event. A prolonged period during which I couldn't even try to play the game with my low-level character, because griefers were deliberately seeking out infection and then running en masse toward the regions of Stormwind where low-levels needed to be. Couldn't turn in missions, couldn't get missions, couldn't train, couldn't use the Bank or the AH, because everyone was always dead.

I sit out about half of Blood Moon as it is; make it citywide and my toons will have to vacate MC for the duration, which is a problem if I'd just rolled a new one. And if (as would almost certainly happen) some griefer team decided to cause zombification to spread beyond MC, into the other zones, I'd have to stop playing altogether for the duration. Not what I consider "fun".

You see, the idea is supposed to be that the heroes band together to defend the citizens from the onslaught of the monsters, kind of like Destroyer Day. But in both WoW and here, actual heroes seem to be pretty thin on the ground...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • coneuroniaconeuronia Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited August 2014

Be glad they don't mention PvP in an update. They did that in the last game I played and basically borked the entire system to make it better for PvErs, then both sides hated it and everyone moved to Tetris and TF2 or something. >_<

This new update is awesome. I'll have more costume drops to sell for more G than they will sell in two weeks and I'll get new perks for my perk-erm...-"rhymes with abhor" Amelie Layclaire.
    I was honestly just exepcting a Rampage or an Alert or something. :biggrin:

Also, pleae drop Gravitar in downtown. It looks like I need some of those salvage thingies to get the Drifter armors, so the more I can farm her the better my odds...right? >_>

Amelie Layclaire - Lightning and Wind (40)
    Solution Five - Gadgets and Subterfuge (40)
    Dodgeball Kara - Support and Ebon Ruin (40)
    Relentless Pursuit - Fire and Force (35)
    Rear Window - Homage - Icy Disposition (20)
    Teaming with @shottymario and hoping to meet you all ingame.
    edited August 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Unpleasant memories of the same event. A prolonged period during which I couldn't even try to play the game with my low-level character, [...] But in both WoW and here, actual heroes seem to be pretty thin on the ground...

You would have been happier if you had just joined the fun u3u *nibbles on your brenz* Life's not all about leveling up!

And sometimes it's nice to not play the hero and instead play a grabby hands zombie! After all, none of the people doing any of the stuff you mentioned were technically doing anything wrong. It was an invasion, not a "play quietly and don't disturb anyone"-vasion..... >.>
    edited August 2014
    Very few ideas in mmos are as daft as invasion style worldwide events.

It's like you have a hour or two this day to play, you finally managed to log in to turn some quests, or do anything longtime planned and long overdue...

And you can't, because someone arbitrarily decided they have better idea what you are supposed to do with your precious time.

If you are in mood for events, everything is fine.

But if you are not, then it's damn annoying and just bad design.

Too often people don't care to remember that mmos are only games in virtual reality, but they are consuming real life time. It's not only game lost, but time. Depends of the game - subscription time as well.
    And players plain pissed off by event that reduced their functional game nearly to zero will not be in mood to participate.

Good thing CO avoids this kind of design, as even Destroid Invasion is easily avoided.
    edited August 2014
    haha barring those stupid event mobs hanging out around level 6 westside. God, who thought THAT was a good idea?
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
    edited August 2014
    haha barring those stupid event mobs hanging out around level 6 westside. God, who thought THAT was a good idea?

I think just no dev memorised that scary mobs are triggered with level of a first player passing their spawn point. :tongue: