test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Default self-target on heals?

roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
edited August 2014 in Controls and Interface
Is there a way to have healing powers like psionic healing target yourself by default?
Too often I die in alerts when I end up healing someone else (often fully healed) instead of myself.

Thanks.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
Post edited by roughbearmattach on

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Disable 'assist target on attack' (Menu>Options>Controls>Assist target on attack) and heals will target yourself unless you're targeting an ally.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Thanks a bunch!

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    rtmartma Posts: 1,198 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Well this is informative, I've always used F1 to target myself. ^.-.^
    Want to get to know me a bit better, Click me and take a read of My Dragon Profile Page, it's a bit dated but still relevant.

I take this quote from a review that I agree with.

"customisation is so linear; everyone is after the optimal dps:survivability ratio with 0 reliance on other players = autonomous gameplay... Players don't need each other anymore... which in my opinion is a bad thing."
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I use F1 to self-target as well, but I wanted a way to heal by activating a power using the number pad while moving my hero using my left hand. Being able to skip pressing F1 is great.

• Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Then make a keybind that chains those actions?

/bind *key* "target_self $$ +PowerTrayExec *number*"

Of course change *key* and *number* to suit your setup.
    What number to use for what power slot you can find here, and for numpad keys you can use numpad0, numpad1, etc as your key.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's an easier way. in the keybinds, you can set the binds for targeting teammates. It's just a click and push the button thing. The numberpad numbers use different binds than the regular numbers, thankfully, so you don't actually have to bind a script yourself. I do that with my healers all the time, because I use the f1-7 keys for my secondary power bar.

I usually set myself as 0, because a big old panic button that says "me" on it helps. But if you don't disable your energy builder or assist target, it won't matter anyway because you'll build energy pretty fast, and end up healing the tank anyway.

And this is why 100% of my healers have the celestial energy builder.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    And this is why 100% of my healers have the celestial energy builder.
    Tempting as that might be, I really object to doing the backstroke in combat.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    adn after combat... and when you are trying to block. The blasted thing just refuses to turn off sometimes.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kazecatkazecat Posts: 35 Arc User
    I never knew it was that simple. Thanks!
  • Options
    lordwolfylordwolfy Posts: 140 Arc User

Disable 'assist target on attack' (Menu>Options>Controls>Assist target on attack) and heals will target yourself unless you're targeting an ally.

This changes everything! Oh dear sweet god why did it have to be so SIMPLE!!! Now I can actually have a thematic healing power without having to resort to Conviction or BCR just to heal myself. Thank YOU!

No, I am not being sarcastic. This really does help me.
  • Options
    ninjapiffninjapiff Posts: 282 Arc User
    On a side note, something I personally do for choice powers (usually with my Self-Heals, at least) is bind it to a mouse click. Now, I have a very nice, very toight Logitech mouse that features two extra buttons and a clickable scroll-wheel. I like to click the wheel to trigger things like self-heals, especially things with longer cooldowns. Those two auxiliary buttons are great for auto-targeting, too, as I like to use my F1 and F2 keys for my Active Offense/Defense, and my Tab button as a quick-burst button.

I hate having to move my hand farther than the 6 key on the keyboard, so rearranging buttons is something I've gotta do. It works well enough. Don't have 3/5 device slots hotkeyed, though they're usually filled with teleports, vehicles, and trout slaps anyway. :D
    It makes sense, if you don't think about it.