test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else kinda disappointed at the Psionic Dragon set?

morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
So, this is a set I was really looking forward to... but now that it's out, I haven't bought it, and I'm not sure I'm going to; it's got a few parts that are nice, but really lacks the versatility that made the holoforce set stand out.

In particular, I was looking forward to having a few more bits of head armor that would work with, for example, the snake head; Cryptic North has been pretty good about releasing costumes that didn't have random silly limitations. (Example of a silly limitation: you can't use belts with the basic subligar.) Except, oh wait, for some reason the psionic dragon accessories aren't available under beast heads. (Among several other categories - and it's not even consistent which categories don't work; for example, you can use the psionic dragon head accessories under the "huge humanoid helmets" category on a female character, but not a male...)

The other issue I have is that many of the pieces (particularly bracer, leg accessory, and chest) have large areas of flat, detail-free surface. Which probably saved a lot on design time, what with not needing any kind of fancy texturing, but worked much better for holoforce pieces that had a more interesting base geometry.

So... yeah. The wings are nice (but would be nicer if we had a non-flapping version). The spider legs are unique, so if you want spider legs, go for it. Other than that... meh?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Actually, yeah, that was a bit off-setting. Was sort of unknowingly looking forward to seeing how that head crest would look on, like, a frog head or whatever.

Let this be a lesson to CN: Please continue making theoretically broken costume sets, because they make the funnest part combinations possible.

Really I got no other beef with the set, though. It's got no problems that the Holoforce set doesn't.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    I might be complaining about random limitations (but, in truth, I couldn't care less about problems in creating non-comic booky weird non-humanoid characters) as costume creator is full of unneeded restrictions.

But I hardly see any problem with large detail-free plates. This is exactly what was on the submitted concept art and that's because it is supposed to work with details on psi textures.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it's great.

it's got larger sections than the holoforce armour, so I can have big pieces or small pieces or both

animals heads are all difference sizes and shapes, they would have to fit them to each model to make them usable.

beast legs at least are only 1 basic shape.
    have you added on to the PTS thread that you can use them in huge rigid helmet on female but not male?
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    animals heads are all difference sizes and shapes, they would have to fit them to each model to make them usable.

Nope. Look at Holoforce, for example. Yeah, a lot of the pieces are out of place - I've yet to come up with any way to use holoforce mouth accessory with a snake head and have it look good, for example - but there are a number of combinations that work (like wolf head + glass holoforce eye accessory for a wolf-with-glasses look), and setting any of them to transparent glowy makes clipping a very nearly non-issue.

And yes, I reported this on the PTS thread.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not disappointed in it, I love this set. One reason I love it is that I find it to be very versatile.
    Looks good by itself and it has great parts which can be used to improve many costumes.

From what I have heard in-game the majority also love it, even in Zone chat :eek:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    hasukurobihasukurobi Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    My biggest disappointment for this set besides the restrictions is how the new insect wings (which I wanted due to just 2 instead of 4 + Glass) is that all these parts sort of 'float' above you instead of actually being a part of you. :frown:
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I might be complaining about random limitations (but, in truth, I couldn't care less about problems in creating non-comic booky weird non-humanoid characters) as costume creator is full of unneeded restrictions.

But I hardly see any problem with large detail-free plates. This is exactly what was on the submitted concept art and that's because it is supposed to work with details on psi textures.

Uhm... There have been a lot of non-human comic book characters. So I am not sure what you mean by that.

The Lizard
    Rocket
    Wal Russ
    Groot
    Fastback
    Krypto
    Ace the Bat-Hound
    Streaky the Supercat
    Terrific Whatzit
    Ch'p
    Toppo
    Jumpa
    Hoppy the Marvel Bunny
    Cheetah
    Zorak
    Brak
    A whooole lot of characters from TMNT including the main characters on the good side.

I think you get my point. However, I totally agree that a lot of these restrictions regardless of what they effect or why can be very frustrating and make little sense. Like the Gem of Edom which basically only works on skin/tights... Why? It is like a necklace. You can wear other necklaces with other categories.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Frankly?

No, I don't.

Because aside of Krypto and Teename Mutant Ninja Turtles I must think really hard to recall a single name mentioned by you. Or google them really hard. And cartoon-only guys like Zorak hardly qualify.

I could made a list three times long using human characters and that's only using famous names without including D-listers.

They're anything manistream or iconic enough to put them even close in number and importance to human characters.I think all costume sets should be first tuned for humanoids, and then, as a secondary benefit, to non humanoid bodies if time and resources allows for it.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like the set a lot. I especially like how it can work with Holoforce, Holo Hex, and Psi parts.

Great job again.

All new sets should have similar materials options and have clear synergies with at least some other sets.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Too many sharp-pointy-things.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    morigosa wrote: »
    So, this is a set I was really looking forward to... but now that it's out, I haven't bought it, and I'm not sure I'm going to; it's got a few parts that are nice, but really lacks the versatility that made the holoforce set stand out.

In particular, I was looking forward to having a few more bits of head armor that would work with, for example, the snake head; Cryptic North has been pretty good about releasing costumes that didn't have random silly limitations. (Example of a silly limitation: you can't use belts with the basic subligar.) Except, oh wait, for some reason the psionic dragon accessories aren't available under beast heads. (Among several other categories - and it's not even consistent which categories don't work; for example, you can use the psionic dragon head accessories under the "huge humanoid helmets" category on a female character, but not a male...)

The other issue I have is that many of the pieces (particularly bracer, leg accessory, and chest) have large areas of flat, detail-free surface. Which probably saved a lot on design time, what with not needing any kind of fancy texturing, but worked much better for holoforce pieces that had a more interesting base geometry.

So... yeah. The wings are nice (but would be nicer if we had a non-flapping version). The spider legs are unique, so if you want spider legs, go for it. Other than that... meh?

Hi there again :p I could see why it might not work for some of your chars, given the geometry. Again though, I'd like to see all silly limitations removed and let the player instead deal with/hide any clipping issues.

Sometimes though, less is more. Could see, for instance, using just the shoulder pads or hips for characters with less humanoid geometry, and in combination with some other pieces. The complete set as is doesn't work for me, either.

More texture/detail options would definitely be nice ... since we already get a ton with tights, as well as many, many other pieces.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Frankly?

No, I don't.

Because aside of Krypto and Teename Mutant Ninja Turtles I must think really hard to recall a single name mentioned by you. Or google them really hard. And cartoon-only guys like Zorak hardly qualify.

I could made a list three times long using human characters and that's only using famous names without including D-listers.

They're anything manistream or iconic enough to put them even close in number and importance to human characters.I think all costume sets should be first tuned for humanoids, and then, as a secondary benefit, to non humanoid bodies if time and resources allows for it.

Oh so also we are counting out Grod from DC, an ENTIRE planet of anthros on the Alternate Earth in Marvel, and any other people made by the High Evolutionary, and Sauron also from Marvel. With all the Aliens in Marvel and DC the numbers of such anthros or non-humans in general is too long to list. Also really? You do not recognize hardly anyone on the first list? Rocket and Groot will be in the next big Marvel Movie for crying out loud.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    hasukurobi wrote: »
    Oh so also we are counting out Grod from DC, an ENTIRE planet of anthros on the Alternate Earth in Marvel, and any other people made by the High Evolutionary, and Sauron also from Marvel. With all the Aliens in Marvel and DC the numbers of such anthros or non-humans in general is too long to list. Also really? You do not recognize hardly anyone on the first list? Rocket and Groot will be in the next big Marvel Movie for crying out loud.

I think "alternate" is a very important word here.

And B - listers in both Marvel and DC universe aren't exactly staples of the genre.

Guardians are the next big thing, but still not exactly on level with icons like Big "S" or Peter Parker. And question would be, if books dedicated only to these two without the rest of the team would score as much as books about more normal characters.

And you could still outdo such list twice with humanoid characters only.

Facial recognition is a very important thing for humans. Non-humanoid characters will never be more important, or even very close to humanoid ones, because majority of readers will always shift towards the more relatable characters.
  • Options
    sunyamsunyam Posts: 10
    edited August 2014
    To be honest, I love it! I didn't even know it was out till I saw someone today wearing pieces of it. I asked them what it was and they told me. I went and bought my set, but haven't used it just yet. Got to decide on the right character first.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Different approach to the bestial problem:

Doesn't matter if they're prevalent in comic books, they're very prevalent in Champions lore. A few major NPCS are beast-men, and we've got a few neutral in game factions made up entirely of them. But, I'm coming at this from the thought that the tailor should let us self police as much as possible rather than deciding we can't use some parts because reasons. I mean, they *did* include those options. It's only fair that they give them some love every once in a while. Hell, I even say this as a person who pretty much never runs bestial types. It's not for me, but I can see why it's important for some other people.

Personally, I like the set. Especially the invader zim spider legs. I'm gonna abuse the HELL out of those.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I'm not; i always wanted top and eye accessories like the ones in the set, and I see myself using the feet accessories in a fair few costumes. Not sure what I'll do with the rest of the set; we'll just have to see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I like this costume set not seen any major issues with this one :3
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I am awful baffled by people upset that a costume is made as conceptually designed, down to what was wanted, and people think Cryptic didn't do enough with it, other than that fact this costume is out in less than a few months time from when the costume contest occurred.

As for the costume it's quite good. I imagine many CoH players who want to rebuild their Solider of Arachnos and Lord Recluse clones can now fully do that.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I

As for the costume it's quite good. I imagine many CoH players who want to rebuild their Solider of Arachnos and Lord Recluse clones can now fully do that.
    Very true, I recall in the concept stages them saying the spider legs(which i think were previously in a different position) were going to be problematic, so seeing them here was something i really was happy to see. as a matter of principle i have been getting all the costume sets as a carrot to the devs, but in this case it was a very happy carrot.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    rianfrost wrote: »
    Very true, I recall in the concept stages them saying the spider legs(which i think were previously in a different position) were going to be problematic, so seeing them here was something i really was happy to see. as a matter of principle i have been getting all the costume sets as a carrot to the devs, but in this case it was a very happy carrot.

I buy the costumes regardless if I want them or not. I might want a piece I might not, or I can create or redesign a nemesis with them. But as every bit helps I make sure to add my part.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Only really disappointed in how the boots clip through everything so badly. But, yeah, beastal needs some love. So many things don't work with the legs at all.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    Only really disappointed in how the boots clip through everything so badly. But, yeah, beastal needs some love. So many things don't work with the legs at all.

Bestial needs an overhaul personally. Need their own legs instead of silly legs that lets any foot attached. And the ability to wear more pants options, well pants at all, in general, skirts and such. I would love to have a proper wolf leg.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS