test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Questions regarding Protector tree and Sentinel tree's Mastery

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Power Discussion
First question, does Resolute have a cooldown, or does it trigger every time you're hit with a knock/hold?

Second question, does Beacon of Hope (increased healing from outside sources) affect Sentinel Mastery's healing? I recall reading somewhere that Sentinel Mastery's heal is considered a heal from an outside source instead of yourself.

Third, how does Defensive Expertise come into play alongside Intelligence/Cooldown Reduction? Is it on its own layer, or is it essentially 7/14/21%-worth of Cooldown Reduction (which then gets smacked by diminishing returns)?

Lastly, is Debilitating Challenge worded properly, in that it merely reduces the enemy's damage resistance by 2/4%? Or is it, God forbid, better than it sounds, and actually increases the target's damage taken by 2/4%?

Any other tidbits of information from Protector (or Sentinel) specialization tree fans is appreciated, whether it's related to the above questions or not. :P Collecting knowledge is a blast.
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    oh boy, more 'quick' testing requests
    First question, does Resolute have a cooldown, or does it trigger every time you're hit with a knock/hold?

Resolute comes in the form of a buff on you that doesn't stack beyond one, and getting hit w/ another CC attempt w/ it up will just refresh the duration to the max.

Quick proof in PH:
    TIME        ATTACKTYPE  DAMAGETYPE  DAMAGE  CRITICAL  SPECIAL  
    8:44:21 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:20 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:19 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:18 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:17 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:16 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:15 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:14 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:13 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:12 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:11 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:10 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:09 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:08 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self     
    8:44:07 PM  Resolute    HitPoints   66      False     Self

3-4 grenades from Varguls overlapping each other, no more than 1 resolute tick at any time

Second question, does Beacon of Hope (increased healing from outside sources) affect Sentinel Mastery's healing? I recall reading somewhere that Sentinel Mastery's heal is considered a heal from an outside source instead of yourself.

I may have stated such a thing w/ regards to making it work w/ Honor (which it can't).

Sentinel Mastery is %health based, but testing it anyways..

w/ 3/3 Beacon:
    TYPE              DURATION  DAMAGE  AVERAGE  CRIT%  MEDIAN  MINHIT  MAXHIT  HITS  AVGDELAY  BASEDAMAGE  RESIST%  
    All               00:12     3,087   343.00   0%     343     343     343     9     1.81      0           0%       
    Sentinel Mastery  00:12     3,087   343.00   0%     343     343     343     9     1.81      0           0%

w/o Beacon:
    TYPE              DURATION  DAMAGE  AVERAGE  CRIT%  MEDIAN  MINHIT  MAXHIT  HITS  AVGDELAY  BASEDAMAGE  RESIST%  
    All               00:20     4,116   343.00   0%     343     343     343     12    2.91      0           0%       
    Sentinel Mastery  00:20     4,116   343.00   0%     343     343     343     12    2.91      0           0%

Signs say 'no' to that one.
    Third, how does Defensive Expertise come into play alongside Intelligence/Cooldown Reduction? Is it on its own layer, or is it essentially 7/14/21%-worth of Cooldown Reduction (which then gets smacked by diminishing returns)?

21% CDR from 3/3 Expertise w/ just 5 Int and no CDR gear on makes the AD cd ~74 sec. Base is 90sec. 74/90 is not 21% reduction but rather 17.78%.

Changing to 0/3 Expertise and getting it down to 74 sec again takes about 143 Int alone (21% listed on tooltip for Int):

1 / (0.001504*143 + 1) = 0.8229 of its original cd, or ~17.7% reduction

.. same DR as w/ Expertise.

If Expertise didn't add to the DR w/ Int/CDR then the ~17.8% from it would add onto ~17.8% from Int for about 35.5% total reduction. Instead when ya combine 143 Int w/ 3/3 Expertise ya get a 63.2 sec AD cd, or a (63.2/90) 29.78% reduction. So the former DR-ed values are even more diminished.

Subsequently, 143*2 = 286 Int, which from the formula gives:
    1 / (0.001504*286 + 1) = 0.6992 or ~30% reduction, ie. not really any diff than the 143 Int + 3/3 Expertise combo (small diff is prob due to the 5 extra Int).

So yeah, seems like Defense Expertise is subject to the full DR too.
    Lastly, is Debilitating Challenge worded properly, in that it merely reduces the enemy's damage resistance by 2/4%? Or is it, God forbid, better than it sounds, and actually increases the target's damage taken by 2/4%?

Yes it is. Pets go from 16% resistance on Regen dummies to ~12-13% when attacking a target w/ 2/2 of the debuff, according to ACT. Taking Debilitating also shows the resistances up on the tooltips to any CripC adv you pick, coincidentally enough.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    oh boy, more 'quick' testing requests

Apologies. When I get into a build-tweaking mood, I consider far too many variables for my own good, and like to get as much info as I can on every single option. Consolidating all unrelated questions to one thread tends to ensure that the thread dies without most questions being answered, and tends to make it more difficult to find for others who may be seeking the same answers.

Thank you for the calculations. Regrettably, Protector seems as though it'll be a bit of a one-trick-pony should I choose to take it.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Apologies. When I get into a build-tweaking mood, I consider far too many variables for my own good, and like to get as much info as I can on every single option. Consolidating all unrelated questions to one thread tends to ensure that the thread dies without most questions being answered, and tends to make it more difficult to find for others who may be seeking the same answers.

Thank you for the calculations. Regrettably, Protector seems as though it'll be a bit of a one-trick-pony should I choose to take it.

Protector's only saving grace is it's overpowered mastery.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I use Protector on many of my tank toons. Bulwark and Defensive Expertise are still quite nice.
    Its okay, I understand what ya mean. Its just coincidentally falling into a timeframe where all I'm doing in-game is analyzing stuff in the PH :x
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!