test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ice Blast, Hard Frost, and Crippling Challenge

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited July 2014 in Power Discussion
Hard Frost causes Ice Blast to do an extra chunk of damage when hitting a Chilled target. Does this damage tick trigger Crippling Challenge a second time, for twice the threat generation?
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Regardless of whatever move you put CC on, I'm pretty sure its effect is independent of any extra damage the move does (i.e. even if the attack hits with 18 different ticks on the first second, CC only applies once). To add to that, the application cooldown of CC also means that it doesn't really matter, since CC normally can only be applied once every 10 seconds (Devour Essence might be exempt from this?)

Still, taking Hard Frost+CC is a perfectly valid combination, since the DPS generated from chill taps is much higher than an extra rank (under the chill condition of course).
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, due to the inherent icd on most of CripC's effects, its doubtful that something like Hard Frost grants and extra 'tick' of the added threat when applied (although something may be going on w/ bleeds, at least I notice Shred + CC users generate an awful lot of threat vs. other types of tanks, rivaling Defense Combo spammers- but that's from casual observation, not actual testing- so its just a conjecture).

If I were to make an Ice tank, I'd prob do the usual R2 + Hard Frost setup for Ice Blast, and put CripC on Ice Cage and add sub-0 cellblock. Ice Cage won't deal as much dmg, ofc, but ya only have to tap it once every 8-10 sec, and it would serve a dual function as an interrupt. This would allow ya to max Ice Blast's dps as a tank and still have CripC's threat, damage debuff, and 'taunt' available.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,092 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2014
    I think it's worth mentioning that while the taunt of CC will only apply every 10 seconds, the +threat applies with every application of the power.

This makes fast activating spammy powers desirable for CC use (Devour Essense for instance is such a monstrous threat holder because the +threat applies on every tic of the power).

For an Ice Blast tank I'd go Hard Frost and CC, tap Ice Blast. You're losing next to no damage dropping R2 as the vast majority of damage is coming from Hard Frost.
  • Options
    williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »
    I think it's worth mentioning that while the taunt of CC will only apply every 10 seconds, the +threat applies with every application of the power.

This makes fast activating spammy powers desirable for CC use (Devour Essense for instance is such a monstrous threat holder because the +threat applies on every tic of the power).

For an Ice Blast tank I'd go Hard Frost and CC, tap Ice Blast. You're losing next to no damage dropping R2 as the vast majority of damage is coming from Hard Frost.

Yup, was talking about the no-cooldown threat generation, not the taunt component. :P

Basically, I'm wanting to switch to a ranged threat holder instead of Devour Essence as I currently have, but I'm not sure what would be effective. Another consideration is Two-Gun Mojo, but I was just wondering if Ice Blast's four-hits-per-second(-when-ignoring-human-error) would outpace it. If it even works that way, of course.

Thanks for the answers so far, y'all.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    While CC on maintains is great, high DPS is also a major factor. As Kaizerin mentioned R2 vs CC is not much damage lost. R3 vs CC on a high DPS power is a lot.
  • Options
    ceroyceroy Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The crippling challenge effect of disabling block can only be reapplied every 10 seconds, NOT the threat that crippling challenge causes (400 threat at level 40). The threat is applied on every tick of an attack. So with DE the crippling challenge is applied every .5 seconds. This was confirmed on the guide to threat management on these very forums.
  • Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    kaizerin wrote: »

well, Kaiz is the guru, so I'll defer to his stance on this one. I'd still prob try out R2 just to see how well it holds up. Hard Frost makes ice blast quite above most options in base dps as is.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!