Level 6: Martial Focus
Level 9: Body and Mind
Level 12: Relentless
Level 15: Impresario
Level 18: Negotiator
Level 21: Coordinated

Powers:
Level 1: Laser Edge
Level 1: Laser Sword (Rank 2, Particle Acceleration)
Level 6: Lightspeed Dash
Level 8: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Lightwave Slash (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 14: Form of the Tempest
Level 17: Field Surge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 23: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
Level 29: Lock N Load (Two Smoking Barrels)
Level 32: Masterful Dodge
Level 35: Nanobot Swarm (Rejuvinating Injectors)
Level 38: Plasma Cutter (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Rocket Jump (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Specializations:
Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
Strength: Aggression (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Overpower (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Slaughter (2/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)

Here is an initial stab at my first Melee PFF Tank since they fixed PFF's layering issues.

• I chose primary Strength mostly for Physical Peak, although the Knock Resist and Brutality are nice.
  • Lock 'n Load is there as a good MSA proc that won't lower my DPS like spamming my lunge would.
  • I'm pretty sure R2 Laser Sword w/ Partical Accelerator can deal enough damage to hold threat without needing Crippling Challenge, but Challenging Strikes on Lightwave Slash would be nice. :(
  • Laser Knight is there for some Block Layer resists, and it actually fits the theme on this character.
  • BCR is my health heal. I'm not sure if it's really the best choice here, especially as it's a second damage penalty, but Laser Sword is expensive and it's the cheapest heal.
  • Field Surge & MD are obvious.
  • Nanobot Swarm is mostly a filler power with the benefit of being a decent emergency button if I ever need back to back MD. I'd glady replace it with a Shield healing power if they ever add such a thing.
  • Plasma Cutter is for the extremely rare occasion where I'll have full stacks of Particle Burn. I doubt that'll happen often though, as the duration is only 12-seconds and there is no way to refresh stacks.

I'm not convinced that I made the best spec tree decisions, but I'm pretty sure Primary STR was the right choice because it gives me melee cost reduction and crit severity that scale with DEX & INT aka the two stats that I'm probably going to stack the highest Overpower is basically a filler pick since there wasn't anything else I wanted in the tree.

My end goal for this toon is that it be able to tank every enemy in the game except for Frosty. I'm not sure if it's even possible for a PFF toon short of a double bubble plus ebon sigils build.

TL;DR: Does anyone see any major problems with this build? If not, does anyone have any minor tweak ideas to make it better? I'm not currently planning on tanking Frosty with this guy, but I'm open to suggestions on how to do it without a gimmick build.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
Post edited by tdits on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    quick notes from skimming it:

Having only one 10ft 120d cone attack for AoE will prob suck for anything but lone boss fights.

Particle Smash can refresh PB stacks, for what its worth.

CripC can still be put on the lunge if ya got the spare points. The taunt and debuff are pretty nice, even if ya dun constantly need CripC.

Since ya using a focus toggle, energy problems can be fixed w/ a Dragon move for Rush. DB or DW could work if ya use a techy sword model.

Would also prob take Offensive Expertise over Mod Gear in Vindicator.

Another possible means to tank frosty w/ PFF is to use VDx10 and time blocks, but then its more Ebon Void and the heals/ADs doing much of the work and not so much the passive underneath.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I've tested the following build on PTS several times but ultimately decided to not implement it. But I will say it gets 4K dps in tank role and 29 second cooldown.

STR/DEX/INT and specs exactly like you have but....

For gear, Justice Precision/Fitness/Speed all with INT mods, secondaries are Vigilante Crit, Barricade Bracer and Hospitable Eyepiece.

The key changes -- Form is Manipulator with Mental Storm to proc it. I would hazard a bet that with over 500 INT, the melee damage is the same if not better than your build with FotT. I used Nanobot Swarm and Particle Smash plus Laser Sword Rank 2 with Particle Accel to buff the dot and Particle Smash damage. I also had Shadow of Doubt with CC which also procs Manipulator.

So the key to defense is the fast cooldown due to high INT. Should be good for Gravitar, I used a similar setup with PA powers to tank her but this is actually better with Justice.

EDIT: I guess I should add that I did actually make a Laser Sword tank. (Why another tank? Well Defiance is sort of needed for energy.) It's also hitting 4K dps with STR/CON/INT. Here's the funny thing, I'm using Enrage and I have just Unleashed Rage and Aggressor to proc stacks. Somehow this works thanks to CoAP.

Basically spamming Laser Sword w/PA, Particle Smash and Unleashed Rage (plus a NPG). Tested it today (in just Heroic Rank 5s) and due to everyone dying (in two Rampages no less!!!) she had to solo Grav both times.
  • Options
    tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    quick notes from skimming it:

Having only one 10ft 120d cone attack for AoE will prob suck for anything but lone boss fights.

I'm used to 10ft 120d cones. It doesn't bother me.
    Particle Smash can refresh PB stacks, for what its worth.

Ooh! The TRON disk refreshes Partcle Burn? Could I replace Lightwave Slash with it, or woulld I be better off dropping Nanobot Swarm?
    CripC can still be put on the lunge if ya got the spare points. The taunt and debuff are pretty nice, even if ya dun constantly need CripC.

Yeah, I might get rid of Accelerated Metabolism and the heal on Nanobot Swarm and get CC on my lunge instead.
    Since ya using a focus toggle, energy problems can be fixed w/ a Dragon move for Rush. DB or DW could work if ya use a techy sword model.

I'd rather not mix Laser Sword with any of the tech swords. If I absolutely have to take a Dragon power, then I'd rather go with Unarmed. I hopefully won't have any energy problems with this setup, though.
    Would also prob take Offensive Expertise over Mod Gear in Vindicator.

Yeah, I'll test it out on PTS. I'm probably going to be well into Defense DR either way, which would make Offense Expertise a no-brainer.
    Another possible means to tank frosty w/ PFF is to use VDx10 and time blocks, but then its more Ebon Void and the heals/ADs doing much of the work and not so much the passive underneath.

Yeah, but then have to spend even more time blocking. :/

That Manipulator build looks interesting, but I'd like to test out the FotT build first.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    Ooh! The TRON disk refreshes Partcle Burn? Could I replace Lightwave Slash with it, or woulld I be better off dropping Nanobot Swarm?

Well, although Smash is a nice tight AoE, its cd is still a bit long to replace a spammable AoE (even if its a melee cone). I'm not sure about that one. Guess it comes down to how much mileage ya getting from Swarm's cd cut vs. how often or how much you value cleave AoE.

Neither AoE can have the CS adv, though.. which is a big downer. I'd prob just change course and get a CS-enabled AoE, even if its outside the set or even non-PA.
    I'd rather not mix Laser Sword with any of the tech swords. If I absolutely have to take a Dragon power, then I'd rather go with Unarmed. I hopefully won't have any energy problems with this setup, though.

It may be okay. I suspect a good deal of MSA rolling, though. That'll be pretty critical to keep up w/ decent Int, since ya can't use Defiance as a PFF build (no Con SS anyways- wouldn't be a safe tank setup for anything but PFF).
    Yeah, but then have to spend even more time blocking. :/

*shrug* Drastic idps like ice daggers takes drastic measures. Pretty much anything ya can make that can be self-sufficient vs. Frosty is going to be extreme and/or 'gimmicky' (depending on ur outlook). It does take more practice, but timing the blocks and then just refreshing VD becomes very effective- just have to make good time when threating up (CS/CC def needed then, due to F&I's high innate resists). There's a few other ways, ofc, I just like VD cause its more universal and doesn't take as many changes to a build as do many of the other strats.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    leewillleewill Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I recently put together a PFF behemoth-type tank that seems to be VERY tough. I haven't tried her on Frosty yet but that's on my list soon. The only problem with the build is running out of energy, but if you work it right, you won't have much problem. This is a PFF/enrage tank with dex as a primary. The main fighting mechanics are knocks and stun. Dex primary gives by far the best damage output with a high crit chance and crit severity, and you get dodge as a bonus. Seems to be well-rounded with good damage and excellent survivability. Check it out, hope you like it.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: PFF Tank

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Quick Recovery
    Level 15: Relentless
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Enduring

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
    Level 11: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Inexorable Tides (Rank 2)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 26: Fault Line (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Level 32: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ascension
    Level 38: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (1/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

This build also works with Defiance in place of PFF and Masterful Dodge in place of field surge. That's how I started this one off, and it also has less energy problems.
  • Options
    chimerafreekchimerafreek Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It'd be nice if Plasma Burn refreshed properly. >w>
    edited November 2014
    It'd be nice if Plasma Burn refreshed properly. >w>

Apparently that is what Particle Smash is for (and it's nice that it is actually a melee power.)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I'd be fine w/ them extending PB's debuff length to match bleed's @ 15 sec.
    leewill wrote: »

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: PFF Tank

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Strength (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Behemoth
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Physical Conditioning
    Level 12: Quick Recovery
    Level 15: Relentless
    Level 18: Impresario
    Level 21: Enduring

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap (Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 8: Enrage (Endorphin Rush, Giant Growth)
    Level 11: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Inexorable Tides (Rank 2)
    Level 17: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)
    Level 26: Fault Line (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Energy Shield (Laser Knight)
    Level 32: Haymaker (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Ascension
    Level 38: Bountiful Chi Resurgence (Resurgent Reiki)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Athletics (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (3/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Quick Reflexes (1/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Tenacious (2/2)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)

Interesting build, but the thread concerns a laser sword setup :x

Also, if ya want to tank you'd prob want CripC on Defense Combo and CS on Tides or Fault Line, and I'd pass on the dodge options in Dex PSS and just take Deadly Aim and Expose Weakness (or just go w/ Con PSS or Str PSS). For specs, I'd pair Warden or Guardian w/ Vindicator to take adv of Aggressive Stance and the crit increases. Warden + Guardian isn't as good for crit-based builds, and also because Offense has a pretty heavy DR.

Would also prob drop Tides or Fault Line for Ego Surge w/ NM.

Considering that Laser Knight already gives a dmg penalty to melee, and you lack MD, I'd prob not add BCR's 10% final dmg penalty on top of that. Instead may take Unbreakable or MD for PFF- to pair w/ Field Surge.