test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Redesign an NPC faction's look!

foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
I think that would make for a nice contest in order to help give the game a fresh new look and remove the goofiness.

I'll start with the Trismegistus Council. Something considerably more sober while keeping an air of mystic pulp-hero.

newtrismegistus.png
Post edited by foxyperson on

Comments

• xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I am not adverse to the goofiness, but ehh...why not? They updated the looks of some of the factions in the past didn't they?
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    hmm haven't seen this thread come up in a while.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bobsy26bobsy26 Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    ArgentSecurity.jpg
    Costume_Bobsy_ArgentSecurity_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_447353385.jpg

NewViperTrooper.jpg
    Costume_Bobsy_NewViperTrooper_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_441892570.jpg

ARGENT and VIPER, respectively.

Yes, I too would relish the opportunity to un-goofy some of the villains.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Couldn't resist this one...

24574.jpg

I'd like to see them retire "The Purple Hornet" Poe and go back to this version.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    Couldn't resist this one...

I'd like to see them retire "The Purple Hornet" Poe and go back to this version.

I could. Thank God that looks gone.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I don't know. I kind of enjoyed much of the goofiness when I first joined CO.

Some of my favorite comic book memories are the goofy ones.
    -
    tumblr_mgp4snj78w1rmsfqdo4_250.png
    -
    tumblr_mgp4snj78w1rmsfqdo2_250.png
    -
    tumblr_mgp4snj78w1rmsfqdo3_250.png
    -
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    bobsy26 wrote: »
    ArgentSecurity.jpg
    Costume_Bobsy_ArgentSecurity_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_447353385.jpg

NewViperTrooper.jpg
    Costume_Bobsy_NewViperTrooper_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_441892570.jpg

ARGENT and VIPER, respectively.

Yes, I too would relish the opportunity to un-goofy some of the villains.

Thing is, these guys are much more goofy than Cryptic's take on VIPER and ARGENT, not exactly an upgrade. Plus, they look very dull and it's hard to tell which ones are VIPER and which ones are ARGENT.
  • tditstdits Posts: 666 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I could. Thank God that looks gone.

QFT!
    Thing is, these guys are much more goofy than Cryptic's take on VIPER and ARGENT, not exactly an upgrade. Plus, they look very dull and it's hard to tell which ones are VIPER and which ones are ARGENT.

Yeah, honestly Viper mostly looks pretty good to begin with. And the Cryptic versions at least have distinct color schemes. ARGENT could probably use a bit of a rework, but the one bobsy26 posted looks like some sort of weird cyborg S.S. officer.

WARNING: Not An Actual Internet Reviewer

edited June 2014
    ARGENT could look like a private version of MARS squad. More tactical like an actual private corporate armed force.
    And preferably without any corporate logos or colors.
    ARGENTs are supposed to act with consideration of not causing any legal infrigements.

Would made a lot of sense if their troops were looking generic and in a way making difficult to link them with parent company.

"What? Our people hunting manimals? PROVE IT!"
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is it too late to give the Trey Kings a revamp? It's hard to tell them apart from Qliphothic horrors. And there is no reason for that; the Trey Kings are aligned with the Halfway Angel, who has nothing to do with Qliphoth.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
    edited July 2014
    Is it too late to give the Trey Kings a revamp? It's hard to tell them apart from Qliphothic horrors. And there is no reason for that; the Trey Kings are aligned with the Halfway Angel, who has nothing to do with Qliphoth.

Actually the Trey Kings were a common street gang that were demon worshippers that got their wish when Qliphothic horrors took possession of their bodies. When Therakiel made the offer they were well past gone and possessed.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the ones most in need of an update are the Cult of the Red Banner. A lot of them just use really old parts and many low level henchmen break color theme for no real reason. I'll probably be experimenting on a few different ideas both for individual named members and for some concepts within the group.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I took a stab at it.
    voYZqZO.png
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Maniacs will have to stay as they are because we can't even access their shade of red :mad:

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
    edited July 2014
    cXCMTWz.png

I say the look here takes a bit of inspiration from his old look (goofy goggles, emo douche facial hair, formalish wear) and combines it with a bit of the new (more flowing/mysterious. Incorporates parts of his dual-pistol build and general clothing cover with stuff like gloves for good measure). Considering that Poe's not a really imposing dude based on his build, it was sort of difficult to make a balance between his "I'm a freakin' crime boss, don't mess with me" persona, and his "Oh god I'm the first boss, and I'm also cheesy and cowardly." persona.

• nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I vote for giving the Duke Nukem guys some pants.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited July 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I vote for giving the Duke Nukem guys some pants.

I vote for giving Nepht a car style skirt.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    I vote for giving Nepht a car style skirt.

Tried wearing a car once. It was awful -__-"
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • shadowzero66shadowzero66 Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Actually the Trey Kings were a common street gang that were demon worshippers that got their wish when Qliphothic horrors took possession of their bodies. When Therakiel made the offer they were well past gone and possessed.

Demon are one thing, Qliphothic horrors are another. I can't recall anything Qliphothic in the Trey Kings background. There's a pretty big difference between the two that goes over most people's heads, but it's an important one. The minor quest arc in Millennium City with fire demons fighting DEMON gives a hint of that. It's possible that the Trey Kings themselves can't tell the difference, but Therakiel should. But then again, given Therakiel not being on the best side of both angels and demons, it's possible he'd resort to Qliphothic creatures but still highly improbable given their nature.
    Grind for the Grind God! Tokens for the Token Throne!
    edited July 2014
    Demon are one thing, Qliphothic horrors are another. I can't recall anything Qliphothic in the Trey Kings background. There's a pretty big difference between the two that goes over most people's heads, but it's an important one. The minor quest arc in Millennium City with fire demons fighting DEMON gives a hint of that. It's possible that the Trey Kings themselves can't tell the difference, but Therakiel should. But then again, given Therakiel not being on the best side of both angels and demons, it's possible he'd resort to Qliphothic creatures but still highly improbable given their nature.

There is but to most laymen, they wouldn't know the difference, and the Trey Kings still thought they were demons taht answered. AKA, you are trying to use global knowledge for what a dumb street gang wouldn't know :tongue:
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    And now, The New Purple Gang... becase we're no longer in the 40s, and they're supposed to be a gang. Given Kevin's psychic bomb mission I assume them as a hi-tech gang with heavy financial backing and resources bordering on Saints Row levels, but still a gang with gang mentality and MO nonetheless:

purpleganger.jpg

I would like to see a NPG city event where they rampaged around with tanks and hi-tech aircraft.
  • foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    DEMON:

demonedomite.jpg

DEMON more than any other faction need to stop dressing as if they were doing auditions for Batman's Adam West's series.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    foxyperson wrote: »
    And now, The New Purple Gang... becase we're no longer in the 40s, and they're supposed to be a gang. Given Kevin's psychic bomb mission I assume them as a hi-tech gang with heavy financial backing and resources bordering on Saints Row levels, but still a gang with gang mentality and MO nonetheless:

purpleganger.jpg

Actually, they're supposed to be a sort-of Mafia organization. The Purple Gang was, in fact, a real gang and they bootlegged whiskey from Canada to the US. They had a major role in the Valentine's Day massacre. I'd rather not see the organization get ghetto'd. No offense.

My NPC's that need a makeover: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=269461

My mob makeover thread: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=226651
    edited July 2014
    DEMON:

demonedomite.jpg

DEMON more than any other faction need to stop dressing as if they were doing auditions for Batman's Adam West's series.

That may be true but they also don't need to dress up tackey like they were trying out for the Circle of Thorns either.

I agree they need a more occultist update but seriously, not that.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I like how this thread has almost as many non-constructive insults of players' costumes as it does actual costume ideas. Stellar!
    edited July 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    I like how this thread has almost as many non-constructive insults of players' costumes as it does actual costume ideas. Stellar!

Criticism is not an insult. People need to learn the difference.

Especially when some submitted ideas are, frankly, as goofy (if not even more) than existing NPC costumes.

And now, The New Purple Gang... becase we're no longer in the 40s, and they're supposed to be a gang. Given Kevin's psychic bomb mission I assume them as a hi-tech gang with heavy financial backing and resources bordering on Saints Row levels, but still a gang with gang mentality and MO nonetheless.

They are a gang, but they aren't ghetto "gangsta". This isn't Saint Row.
    Soprano's are more like an inspiration for them.

And this one actually IS an improvement over original design.
    voYZqZO.png
    edited July 2014
    Criticism is not insult. People need to learn the difference.

Especially when some submitted ideas are, frankly, as goofy (if not even more) than existing NPC costumes.

Is there much difference? Unsolicited criticism offered with sarcasm, contempt, and no attempt to balance with anything positive... that's pretty much an insult, really.

Eh, no point arguing semantics though. This forum do what this forum do.
    edited July 2014
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Is there much difference? Unsolicited criticism offered with sarcasm, contempt, and no attempt to balance with anything positive... that's pretty much an insult, really.

You don't have to submit anything on your own to point at bad ideas.

Yes, there's the difference. Unless someone can't take any criticism.

But if people aren't ready for public criticism, they they should not be submitting any ideas publicly.
    edited July 2014
    You don't have to submit anything on your own to point at bad ideas.

Yes, there's the difference. Unless someone can't take any criticism.

But if people aren't ready for public criticism, they they should not be submitting any ideas publicly.

If you can't handle my criticism of a crappy attitude, you shouldn't be displaying a crappy attitude publicly.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The sourcebook says the NPG wear "leather jackets dyed a sickly purple" as I recall...

oops. never mind.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Criticism is not an insult. People need to learn the difference.

When you finally learn the difference please keep us posted. In the meantime continue to support those who insult whilst offering no constructive criticism of their own.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited July 2014
    bluhman wrote: »
    I took a stab at it.
    voYZqZO.png

The one on the left is an improvement, but the one on the right? Not so much. The jaw-guard doesn't look very good on him, and his armor looks like it's falling apart.

edited July 2014
    When you finally learn the difference please keep us posted. In the meantime continue to support those who insult whilst offering no constructive criticism of their own.

Where was the insult? The NPG really shouldn't look ghetto. They're mafia.

edited July 2014
    tdits wrote: »
    Where was the insult? The NPG really shouldn't look ghetto. They're mafia.

According to the actual source material, they are street thugs not well dressed hit men. in fact the actual design of Kevin Poe is a hipster punk more than anything. I will see about recreating it in the editor later.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    The one on the left is an improvement, but the one on the right? Not so much. The jaw-guard doesn't look very good on him, and his armor looks like it's falling apart.

(psssst - the one on the right is the current ARGENT cyborg model.)

edited July 2014
    This is basing what Kevin Poe SHOULD look like according to the source material and some guess work for color schemes (I picture him as a mousy brown headed person). Since goggles aren't a neck item I decided to add some bling to his neck as a bit of embellishment. But he basically looks like a skinny young hipster punk. I have included the costume save to.

Costume_Silverspar_TestPoe20_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_458426448_zpsfb0a5811.jpg

screenshot_2014-07-11-15-42-04_zpsa8f37a2b.jpg

So I guess, yea, I am agreeing with cybersoldiers redesign of the New Purple Gang. They should look like street punks, according to the source material and what Kevin Poe should actually look like.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014

This is one of those odd cases where I prefer the CO version of a villain to the PnP original. I wouldn't want to have to interact with that thing in any capacity.

The only other case I can think of is Doctor Destroyer, who Cryptic have wisely decided not to delve too deep into the backstory of.

edited July 2014
    This is one of those odd cases where I prefer the CO version of a villain to the PnP original. I wouldn't want to have to interact with that thing in any capacity.

The only other case I can think of is Doctor Destroyer, who Cryptic have wisely decided not to delve too deep into the backstory of.

Dr. Destroyer looks pretty much like his current incarnation actually.

NewPicture3-4_zps3a292e83.png
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    I'd like those shoulderpads, bracers, boots, and chest piece please.

And the belt. Almost forgot that.

Heck just give us the entire costume, the ingame version's got the same helmet and general color scheme, but lacks some of the unique geometry seen here. I do really like this version.

edited July 2014
    I always thought in the PnP that Until would look somthing like the G.I Joes but in the Champs MMO they just look like a SHEILD knock off :I
    edited July 2014
    That's because they are SHIELD knock offs, just global instead of just US based.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    edited July 2014
    That's because they are SHIELD knock offs, just global instead of just US based.

And weren't allowed to operate in the US until 5e (because of the Batte of Detroit). They still shouldn't be. The UN is no ones friend.

edited July 2014
    And weren't allowed to operate in the US until 5e (because of the Batte of Detroit). They still shouldn't be. The UN is no ones friend.

The UN are the Star Trek TNG of real life they spend ages sitting round a table trying to talk stuff out but never actualy do stuff.

revisiting_star_trek_tng_part_55_-_the_price.jpg
    edited July 2014

Whiteknighting with no purpose.

I almost feel sorry for delicate feelings of people who felt insulted because *gasp* their propositions could be criticised.

No, wait. I don't.

I wrote quite precisely what I did not like in some propositions.

As for posting my own? Why? By large CO NPC look passable except for few isolate instances like maybe DEMON (but their look is on pair with 6th ed CU handbook, roughly...) and randomly generated nemeses in alerts.
    Oh, and Bluhman already posted an improvement to ARGENT.

Sorry, but just because one have an idea it doesn't mean that said idea must be better than already existing one.

BTW - current look for Dr D is totally on pair with his 6th ed look. And probably because it was one of the designs made by Cryptic and then used in CU books.

Purple Gang aren't classic mafia, but they aren't ghetto "gangsta" either. But if they'll be given their sourcebook look they'll end looking just like a bunch of Westside citizen who only happen to wear purple jackets. Not very distinct, I'm afraid.
    See Poe's proper look already posted in this thread.
    How many "family" members in Soprano's actually looked like gangsters?
    edited July 2014
    Whiteknighting with no purpose.

Edgy black-knighting FTW!
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited July 2014
    I tried to find a picture of Dan Dare fighting Megatron couldnt find one so this will have to do...

monty.jpg

Ima Black and White Knighting \o/

Also why isnt there any Knights in this game anyway ._.

I need to check my source books but ima pretty sure there was actual Knights somewhere in Champs PnP. Would love to see some Knight NPC's anyhoo :3
    edited July 2014
    Edgy black-knighting FTW!
    Now you are silly for the sake of being silly.
    edited July 2014
    I think that would make for a nice contest in order to help give the game a fresh new look and remove the goofiness.

I'll start with the Trismegistus Council. Something considerably more sober while keeping an air of mystic pulp-hero.

newtrismegistus.png

I really like this version of the Trismegistus Council, nice tailoring. However, I don't know why you think there is no "goofiness" in this design.
    zrdRBy8.png
  • zamuelpwezamuelpwe Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    That may be true but they also don't need to dress up tackey like they were trying out for the Circle of Thorns either.

I agree they need a more occultist update but seriously, not that.

I've got this odd mix of agreeing and disagreeing with you. I think the revamp of the Circle of Thorns went poorly with all but a few outliers looking super gaudy. However, I don't think the posted DEMON revamp looks bad. The glow probably needs to be turned down but it otherwise does a good job of not using saturated colors and clashing. I think it does wind up looking more like a mid or high ranking member than a grunt.
    "Interesting builds are born from limitations not by letting players put everything into one build."

-Sterga