test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bluegrass Beast's Build Basement

bluegrassbeastbluegrassbeast Posts: 1,906 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Builds and Roles
Hello, I'm Bluegrass Beast.

...what? It worked for Johnny Cash, didn't it?

I digress, I am BluegrassBeast,member of the CO community since around September of 2011, Vanguard since 2012, and overall lover of tinkering with builds; I was what the MTG crowd would call a "Johnny", and my love of CO stems heavily from the amazing variety of concepts and playstyles the game allows. In short, I'm a terminal Alt'oholic, and I am always tinkering with new build concepts and ideas.

Rather than continue to litter the forums with a scattering of posts and given I now have enough material for it, once I get a build thoroughly tested (around level30 or so) and polished, it will show up here.

Hope y'all find somethin' shiny in here; if you give one of these builds a try I'm always thrilled to receive feedback and to hear your experiences with it.

Special Thanks

No builder is an island, and few of these builds have not benefited from the wise suggestions of my fellow forumites. Couldn't have done it without you folks, and you deserve your credit where it's due. Names will be listed alongside the builds where suggestions were made by the individual in question

* Flowcyto - Manhunter, Nocturne, Nightbreed
* Jimhsua - Nightbreed
* EvilTaco: Sister Sabbath.Mother Winter, Morrigan Black, Domina
*Selphea: Sister Sabbath
* Beast from the Bluegrass: Manslaughter
* TurboRaptor: PsiLencer

Update History:
NOTE: Hotlinks before 07/20/15 are currently broken

06/24/14: BBBB goes live; added Starlight, Manhunter, and Ulyssa
06/24/14 (2): Added Nocturne; added Special Thanks section
07/06/14: Updated Manhunter to new build version.
07/10/14: Added Nightbreed
07/13/14: Added Drifter; added direct links to builds in Update History.
07/13/14 (2): Added screenshots of the various characters, to spruce the Basement up a bit.
07/16/14: Updated Drifter to new build version.
08/06/14: Added Vessel
08/14/14: Updated Starlight to new build version.
08/25/14: Added Sister Sabbath
10/05/14: Added Armageddon
10/12/14: Begun adding Power Rotation sections to current builds, as per suggestion by Pantagruel01. Currently in place for Starlight, Manhunter, Ulyssa, and Nightbreed
12/12/14: Added Paladin
12/14/14: Drifter updated to new build version; added role tags to all builds for additional clarity
01/04/15: Added Dollface
01/24/15: Added Jinx -Happy Support Day!
02/07/15: Added Mother Winter
02/16/15: Nocturne updated to new build version
03/11/15: Added Morrigan Black
03/23/15: Added Nemesis
rethgualsnaM deddA - 51/10/40
04/02/15: Translated the hijacking cross-planar signal; added Manslaughter
04/05/14: Added Nepenthe
04/07/15: Added Domina
04/19/15: Added PsiLencer
07/20/15: Added Kamikaze; moved to modified entry format.
7/26/15: B4 Build Bonanza! Added Bettie Bombshell, Blitzkrieger, F.R.A.G., Sister Trinity, aaand Tempest!

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Visit Coffin Baby's Entry on The PRIMUS Database

Need a new Build? Visit Bluegrass Beast's Build Basement - Last Updated 09/10/16: New Build!

Post edited by bluegrassbeast on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I like the setup of the guides so far, kinda like how they introduce the ATs.

As far as the builds- most of them look quite strong, so I won't be going too in-depth w/ suggestions here.

For Starlight, I'd ditch most the Accel Metabolism advs. Its okay to have one on a staple power if there's no better use for points, but since AM has an ICD there's not really much point to putting it on >1 power. I'd also swap Ego 2ndary for Int- better for efficiency & cd timers, and it'll still boost Concentration.

The build will be strong for dps, since its PA. It does look a bit glassy, though- lacking in tanking cds and health. Some Rec gearing would still be a good idea for OD, even if Elec Form helps w/ energy/equilibrium. Also, Energy Wave can be made to clump up mobs for the PA AoEs, if you take the Rev Polarity adv- but I dunno if ya took the power just to have a 'get off me' move.

If you want an SS setup w/ Con in it, ya could try INT/End/Con w/ Preparation, or EGO/Rec_End/Con.

For Manhunter, ya may consider sticking Sniper Rifle in there if you want to do some Gravi/Frosty cheesing, but its great as is.

And lastly, for Nocturne- if you wanted a bit more dmg overall w/o many changes, ya can try sticking Mental Storm in there for its stacking DoT +Ego dmg debuff- it can def add up in protracted fights.

Nice work overall thus far.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    crgmoorecrgmoore Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I agree with Flowcyto completely and congratulations on getting a build guide set up. I've planning one myself and I plan to work on it tonight.

Its a great idea for the community, making fun ideas easy to find and when you're like you or myself, BBB, you need a place to drop new ideas without cluttering the forums.

It seems like every week or so I get inspiration for a new build or a new idea and am testing and posting it up to the forums and I've seen it's the same for you.

Overall, the build collection looks great. Good work, all in all. You've helped me with my own PA build and are one I look to for advice along with Flowcyto, Alfgorn, Gradii and too many others to mention properly here.

Best of luck to you, these builds look like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Its a good shred+rupture build. I'd prob take infernal bolts for a ranged EB, though. Could consider Brawler for Setup w/ Reaper's Embrace too- though Vindicator is also good.

I'd prob get a healing spell/cd outside of DE, though, just to be able to heal w/o being in melee range.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    helbjornhelbjorn Posts: 678 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Is the knock resistance from STR that important to you? You could really boost your DPS easily with DEX. Otherwise, STR is doing nothing else for you.
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    Having both Con PSS's resilient and Str 2ndary seems excessive, I agree. This is esp considering its not a melee build.

Con PSS may lack crit/severity boosts, but it gives innate knock resist w/o needing Str, and Con PSS means ya need less overall gearing oriented towards survival and can focus more on dps stats.

Ofc, ya can go the other route and take Str the PSS and pickup Juggernaut. Would prob go STR/Dex/Con then and get benefit from gearing mostly Con for Defiance, Juggernaut, ES/NM, and SR - and some Dex for crit (both will benefit Str's Brutality). May have some energy issues w/ IDF still, but I guess it depends how well Defiance is working out.

Also Ebon Ruin's debuff and dmg can help the build's dps overall. I'd prob find a means to include it.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    So, will I get hit by diminishing returns if I replace Lead Tempest's R3 with Tread Softly on Manhunter?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    So, will I get hit by diminishing returns if I replace Lead Tempest's R3 with Tread Softly on Manhunter?

you mean the flat dodge%? That's applied before and independently of the dodge% DR. The dodge DR is for the rating itself, not flat % boosts.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Manhunter's all about the DPS, but ultimately I could see doing that for a little more survivability; in truth LT is there to sweep trash mobs and aid non-Alert leveling.At high-end use, you'll be relying mostly on cycling 2GM maintains and tapping Convictionand HOS (mostly conviction)

AN experiment I'm working on will be using Tread Softly tho, but that build's too early to get into details on.

Guess so. Also, personally, you might want to add Max Payne on Manhunter's ''Play if you like'' line.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    you mean the flat dodge%? That's applied before and independently of the dodge% DR. The dodge DR is for the rating itself, not flat % boosts.

Meaning I would be over 100% in DR if I use Masterful Dodge + LT's Tread Softly + EM + Quarry, right?
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    MD already puts you at >100% dodge w/o anything else helping, and even at R1 :x

W/o MD up: R3 Quarry is 12% flat, R3 EM is 19%, LT's TS is 15% w/ Conc up (7.5% w/o). Say you had ~280 total dodge rating from gear and specs, that'd be ~15% added dodge from that.

Total from all those w/o MD would be ~71%, adding in the base 10% dodge as well.

Could get a bit higher from more dodgeR on gear (like legion's dodge, and/or from Elusive in Con_Dex PSS that scales w/ Dex), or other flat boosts like TK's dodge buff (18% at R3) or Crashing Wave Kick's SoTs adv (stacking dodge from attacking, forget how much but I think the avg is like 3-6%, but only works from melee attacks) or Parry's Elusive Monk (4-7%, based on Dex when using melee; but also only works for melee builds, so its N/A here) or Swinging's Flippin (~4% last I checked).

Its a big stretch to get to 100% dodge constantly w/ even R3 WotW (R3 LR has a much easier time getting there, though). I dun think its quite possible for the nerfed Quarry and dodge rating anymore, though.

Just remember: anything labeled dodge rating is subject to DR, flat dodge%'s are added on independently and thus aren't part of the DR.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Its a big stretch to get to 100% dodge constantly w/ even R3 WotW (R3 LR has a much easier time getting there, though). I dun think its quite possible for the nerfed Quarry and dodge rating anymore, though.

With WotW I think you pretty much need to take Sentry's Twist of Fate and Evasive Maneuvers. After that you can copy paste the typical 100% Dodge LR template - TK, Parry + EM, Primary Con with a boatload of Dex.

Thing is, having to throw in the Energy Builder and 0-DPS time from spamming EM kills DPS so it's really more trouble than it's worth.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    selphea wrote: »
    With WotW I think you pretty much need to take Sentry's Twist of Fate and Evasive Maneuvers. After that you can copy paste the typical 100% Dodge LR template - TK, Parry + EM, Primary Con with a boatload of Dex.

Thing is, having to throw in the Energy Builder and 0-DPS time from spamming EM kills DPS so it's really more trouble than it's worth.

Yea, no real point in having all that amazing mitigation if the big hit to ur dps means you won't be holding threat on most things.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Guys, I hate to ask but could we take this to another thread? :frown:
    I didn't plan on posting anymore about that tangent, but yeah sure. As long as wrathsoul1 has any more questions not directly concerning any build here.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    What's this, a support build? Sure enough. This idea has been floating around in my headspace for some time, and this recent double-XP weekend gave me the excuse I needed. Damage is not spectacular but it's not inconsequential, but where the build shines is its power to keep others around you up and fighting.

*snip*

Looks like you're using Lifedrain as your main heal so you really shouldn't need Selfless Ally. If you're stacking Pre, try going with Primary Ego. That way your high Pre will give you more bonuses from specs, notably Defense and Crit Chance from Sixth Sense and Force of Will. The only thing Pre gives you with Primary Pre is Offense which is which doesn't really keep up with Sixth Sense and doesn't help your heals either.
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Could, Nightbreed's "shred" power be replaced with "bite" without breaking the build?
  • Options
    makozmakoz Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Is there a reason you only supplied half of the strength tree. Leaving the other half up to choice?
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    First, love the builds. I've tried a few and they all play very well and very fun. Drifter is possibly one of my favorites (Starlight, Manhunter, Ulyssa rank very high) and for any newer players...try it. It's super durable.

Second, "Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers"? Coolness factor went up by a power of 10. Looking forward to a Shane Gooseman. ;)
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • Options
    tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Strictly speaking, no.. the Bleed is still stacking and the slot fills build expenditures. You're losing the Shredded debuff and the charge time would make a hit to DPS overall,but those caveats aside it would work.

Could you exchange Reaper's embrace for bite? or would that hurt the build as well?
  • Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    tfavsb10 wrote: »
    Could you exchange Reaper's embrace for bite? or would that hurt the build as well?
    Suggestion to the OP: consider giving power rotations, and why they are as they are. In this case, it looks like the intended single-target use is shred x6 (stack up 4 bleeds, and debuffs), reaper's embrace (damage, rupture bleeds), repeat. Losing reaper's embrace loses the ability to rupture bleed stacks.
  • Options
    makozmakoz Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hey, I've managed to get your "Manhunter" build to 40 and I'm starting to gear into legions.

What sort of stats do you spec into yourself? I'm not very good at min-maxing stats unfortunately so a little guidance would be great.

I'm currently in ranged role and heading towards having 2 of the same mods in each piece, INT/DEX/CON with secondariness being primarily INT. Then using Gamblers gems in all pieces.

Not sure which prefix to aim for on my legion pieces either. I have a defense of agility seeing as I figured you can't mod avoidance, may aswell get it in gear somehow.
  • Options
    jimhsuajimhsua Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    makoz wrote: »
    Hey, I've managed to get your "Manhunter" build to 40 and I'm starting to gear into legions.

What sort of stats do you spec into yourself? I'm not very good at min-maxing stats unfortunately so a little guidance would be great.

I'm currently in ranged role and heading towards having 2 of the same mods in each piece, INT/DEX/CON with secondariness being primarily INT. Then using Gamblers gems in all pieces.

Not sure which prefix to aim for on my legion pieces either. I have a defense of agility seeing as I figured you can't mod avoidance, may aswell get it in gear somehow.

I don't have his build, but you may want to trade one of those INT mods for a DEX mod for the following reasons:
    1. Expertise. 'Nuff said. But also,
    2. Muni is typically energy efficient, so energy shouldn't be an issue here,
    3. Not a heavily CD reliant build, and CD redux is worth much more anyway (see math notes in my sig),
    4. Def pen from INT does not go below zero, so more INT only helps vs elite lairs and certain bosses in that department.

This guide from selphea is, as always, useful.

I'd probably also go with impact over gambler's at least on the defense (TBD - more killing), and probably on the utility as well (energy issues permitting).
  • Options
    rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Hi I've been playing your starlight build and I have to say its fun can dish out the pain. I'd just like to say thank you for the time and effort you put into Her and then sharing Starlight with the wrest of us.
    Thank You :biggrin:
  • Options
    rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hi quick question about you Starlight I'm nearing 40th with that build and was wondering should I go dodge with it or gear defence?
  • Options
    peekabooytpeekabooyt Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Trying to start on this as a build, liking the concept.

Maybe I am too new to the game to realize what is going on, but I can not find the Eye Beam power in the freeform build options. Is this something I will need to respec into at a later time?
    Something I need to buy with Zen? Already at Gold membership, so just a bit confused.

A search in various forums turned up nothing about it no longer existing, so finally giving up and just asking... :|

Where or how would I get Eye Beam?

Thanks

Peek
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    peekabooyt wrote: »

Where or how would I get Eye Beam?

It should be under Power Armor gold freeform choices.
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2