test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

IDW Transformers vs G.I. Joe

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
edited May 2015 in Off Topic
That's the new series and one of the weirdest things I saw recently.

It took some furious beating from the hardcore G.I. Joe and Transformer fans, but was well received by the general comic book audience.

There's a reason for that.

IDW went with making it as a very close homage to the Silver Age style, not only with writing, but also with graphics style and even with making pages looking worn and old.

Anyhow, old Kirby style is all over the place. But that's defnitely something shocking for younger readers.

That's pure nostalgia up to eleven:

317b1au.jpg

258b76e.jpg

2coge4w.jpg

s2ctxj.jpg

I must say, I was surprised that this Kirbyformer look even works.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    This honestly looks like garbage.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I love it.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited August 2014
    This honestly looks like garbage.

It's absolutely hated by majority of TF and G I Joe collectors who were expecting something more in line with modern Devil's Due, Dreamwave or IDW outputs, but it took very well with general comic book fandom.

I love it.
    It's ridiculously over the top and campy and makes me giggle.
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/07/24/transformers-vs-gi-joe-1-review
    http://www.comicvine.com/reviews/transformers-vs-g-i-joe-1/1900-3264/

I can't see it as a long term ongoing, but I think it's great.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    In my opinion It is weird stuff like this that makes comic books art. There is more imagination and fun here than in any main stream title you will currently find on the shelves. (though from what I have seen new Silver Surfer comes close.)
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    A Kirby/Moebius mashup where gritty grimdark was the obvious play. I like it.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    The little caption description of Scarlet sold me. "Two words - Crossbow Grenades." :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think it looks fantastic.
    biffsig.jpg
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That looks outstanding.

It's funny, because there was a Thor artist in the eighties, Herb Trimpe I think, who also went with a strong Kirby style for a time and I wasn't really all that enthused by it then.. I guess it felt too forced, since Kirby created Thor, and while I knew it was meant as a loving homage to Kirby's style, it wasn't needed to be done over again on the Thor title, to me.

But this? It is awesome, and a really unique take on the Transformers / G.I. Joe mash up. Well done!
    edited August 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    (though from what I have seen new Silver Surfer comes close.)
    I saw it on Comixology, I've had picked up the first issue. Art style is absolutely classic, clean lines, not overly detailed, both Surfer and his Norin Radd persona are (drawing style included) direct call to the old comic books. I really love it.
    Plot is also both crazy and classic for this title.

Problem is, I can't afford one more ongoing, so I'd have to ditch something to follow this series.

Well... He always was my favorite Marvel character, so I'll probably ditch Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Because I'm certainy not leaving Soule's Guy Gardner and his new Red Lanterns.

iamrune wrote: »
    That looks outstanding.

It's funny, because there was a Thor artist in the eighties, Herb Trimpe I think, who also went with a strong Kirby style for a time and I wasn't really all that enthused by it then.. I guess it felt too forced, since Kirby created Thor, and while I knew it was meant as a loving homage to Kirby's style, it wasn't needed to be done over again on the Thor title, to me.

But this? It is awesome, and a really unique take on the Transformers / G.I. Joe mash up. Well done!

Funny, I remember Herb Trimpe very well.

He was one of the recurring artists for G.I.Joe classic Marvel series in the eighties and Marvel G1 Transformers series (albeit for TFs he did only three issues not counting classic G.I.Joe vs Transformers crossovers - these books are counted under G.I.Joe brand).

A very good artist. A solid one. Not very over-the-top with personal style or being unique, but he certainly knows his trade.

I think there's not enough appreciation for go-to artists who basically built Marvel and DC back in the day. They weren't the most flashy guys and not the ones most dedicated to the showcase of the personal bells and whistles, but they did build the industry. And considering skill, the probably could totally pwn all the nineties and modern starlets.
  • p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    You know, this looks goofy and fun. I can see why the current TF/GIJoe fans wold hate it, though.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    At Free Comic Book Day, I was able to get the preview for this series. I just recently picked up issue one and read both books and loved them. I am really looking forward to this series. Issue 2 comes out this week!

Im not a GI Joe fan, or a big Transformers fan, but I find its a good change when taking a break from reading super hero titles all the time.
    edited May 2015
    "The highest accomplishment is to make oneself into a living weapon" says bot who turns into a gun...

JTF02.jpg

This one was published for free comic book day. It was an extra page printed in a Robots in Disguse #0.
  • doktormarengodoktormarengo Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I love it.. the style and everything.

A definite homage to Kirby. Also sort of reminds of the Eternals/Celestials with the bot designs.

Not that would be a crossover... Transformers/Celestials.. i'd buy that for sure.
    This is RiverOcean's 2nd Account. Can't combine my STO and CO accounts for some weird reason.