test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aspect Ratio issues

jeffometerjeffometer Posts: 14 Arc User
edited June 2014 in PC & Technical Issues
I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do with this. Basically, if I have my Aspect Ratio set to 16:10, my character looks WAY too blocky and broad. However, if I switch it to 16:9, he looks stretched out and thin.

Now I generally play in 16:9, so my question is this: If I adjust my hero's body proportions to look "right" in 16:9, is he going to appear too wide and blocky to anyone who plays in 16:10 or 4:3? If so, does anyone know of a happy medium?
Post edited by jeffometer on

Comments

• bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jeffometer wrote: »
    I'm driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to do with this. Basically, if I have my Aspect Ratio set to 16:10, my character looks WAY too blocky and broad. However, if I switch it to 16:9, he looks stretched out and thin.

Now I generally play in 16:9, so my question is this: If I adjust my hero's body proportions to look "right" in 16:9, is he going to appear too wide and blocky to anyone who plays in 16:10 or 4:3? If so, does anyone know of a happy medium?

How it looks to other players depends entirely on your system preferences, but the short answer is yes. If an aspect ratio is set correctly, however, a character should look the same across all screens: 16:9, 16:10, 4:3, etc.

What's your native resolution, first off? And when you do type /renderscale (without anything else), what values appear for X and Y?

Optimally those two should match. But even just naming your actual resolution should be enough to determine which is the 'right' one. Usually people can sometimes become too accustomed to an incorrect aspect ratio (4:3 on a 16:whatever is most common it seems) and end up designing characters that, to all other players, look way too thin.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• jeffometerjeffometer Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Thanks so much for your input. My native screen resolution is 1920x1080, and the Aspect Ratio is auto-set to 16:9. My /renderscale gives me X: 1920 (100%) and Y: 1080 (100%).

I assume this means that as long as a character looks "right" to me at this resolution, it will look "right" at other resolutions/aspect ratios as well depending on the screens?
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jeffometer wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your input. My native screen resolution is 1920x1080, and the Aspect Ratio is auto-set to 16:9. My /renderscale gives me X: 1920 (100%) and Y: 1080 (100%).

I assume this means that as long as a character looks "right" to me at this resolution, it will look "right" at other resolutions/aspect ratios as well depending on the screens?

Yup! Those match. 1920x1080 is a 16:9 Aspect Ratio, so what you see is what anyone else should see.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))