test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Your favorite comic book artist?

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
edited June 2014 in Off Topic
Let's check something...

Who's your favorite comic book artist (like penciler/inker)?

At first I wanted to write this topic asking only about western comic book artists, but that's pointless since western comic books and mangas are influencing each other since a very long time.

If I had to pick the absolute five for me it would be:

Jack Kirby, John Buscema, Geoff Senior... Simon Bisley and Masamune Shirow.

I'm skipping artists who weren't doing comic books.

What is your absolute five?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have my Adams period.
    I have my Bisley period.
    I have my Claremont period.
    I have my Darrow period.
    I have my Eisner period.
    I have my Frazetta period.
    I have my Gibbons period.
    I have my Hernandez period.
    I have my Immonen period.
    I have my Jimenez period.
    I have my Kirby period.
    I have my Lee period.
    I have my Mignola period.
    I have my Nowlan period.
    I have my Ottley period.
    I have my Perez period.
    I have my Quesada period.
    I have my Rude period.
    I have my Stevens period.
    I have my Toth period.
    I have my Unknowns period.
    I have my VanSciver period.
    I have my Windsor-Smith period.
    I have my X period.
    I have my Yu period.
    I have my (De)Zuniga period.

And an apology to Byrne, Austin, Huges, Dillon, Conner, Liefeld, Davis, Mahnke, Miller, Shirow, Kishiro and countless others that didn't get mentioned. I still love your work.

Absolute 5?
    No can do.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Jack Kirby
    George Perez
    Maurice Whitman (that's going WAY back)
    Russ Heath (practically unknown by superhero fans, Russ' artwork is stellar)
    Neal Adams

These are in no particular order by the way.

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Why would you apologize to Liefeld? He's never apologized to us...

Todd McFarlane can be a good artist, when he's not busy suffering from the delusion that he can write as well.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jonsills wrote: »

Todd McFarlane can be a good artist, when he's not busy suffering from the delusion that he can write as well.

Sadly, some people like to believe that Liefield is a good artist, for some odd reason, after all he wouldn't be such a big name otherwise.

As far as McFarlane, his ego tends to make me not care about his work.

I don't have any particular artist or top 5.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited May 2014

That's exactly opposite to the problem with Liefeld. He can be entertaining writer when he doesn't take it too seriously, but he never, ever should be allowed even close to the pencil.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Come on, Liefeld isn't that bad.
    He created Deadpool afterall.
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »

That's my point.

He can write humor without trying too hard.

When Liefeld writes humor, you can expect Deadpool. Or Avengelyne complaining that her dress has not enough pouches.

But when he tries to be serious...

You have Youngblood, or Deathstroke vs New 52 Lobo...
  • Options
    ignengiignengi Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    A couple of my favorites that I can think of off hand are Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird, with their original TMNT books. Ive also gotten my hands on a book titled Planet Racers by Peter Laird and Jim Lawson, which is a lot of fun and well done.

I remember McFarlane and Liefeld, and enjoyed their works. Also Mark Texeira and Ron Lim. There are many others, though I cannot recall their names.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    It was too difficult to think of only 5 let alone sort them in any meaningful order...

so here are the first 9 that came off the top of my head.

1. Steve Ditko
    2. Jack Kirby
    3. Jim Starlin
    4. John Romita Sr.
    5. David Lloyd
    6. Joe Madureira
    7. Humberto Ramos
    8. Sam Kieth
    9. Rob Schrab
  • Options
    artmanpweartmanpwe Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Well, I'm not sure I can fill out a Top 5, but my favorite penciler was Marc Silvestri. Yeah, that's about the time Rogue got a little more busty than I'd like, but still, awesome penciler.

I liked Whilce Portacio too, who followed after Silvestri.

As you can tell, I was mainly into X-Mags in the 80's and 90's.

More recently, I've pretty much been all Manga. So...
    ...Since 2009.
    ArtManZupSig7_zps27j4ilyb.jpg
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    John Romita Sr. is my favorite.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Ross Andru, John Buscema, John Romita Sr, Milton Caniff, Jack Kirby are among my favorites.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I dont read a lot of comics, but at present, adam warren is my favorite, kind of an intersection of manga and western comics.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Jack Kirby.

Lets not forget Cable. I am pretty sure the creation of Cable is a crime agianst humanity >_>
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I had to think about this a couple of days. I tried to narrow my list down to artists that still make my jaw drop with what they can do with a pencil. In no particular order:

• Neal Adams
    • George Perez
    • Barry Windsor Smith
    • Paul Smith
    • Frank Quitely

Looking at this list, I suppose I'm partial to clean lines and more realistic body shapes. Ask me again next week and I might have a different list.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    Lets not forget Cable. I am pretty sure the creation of Cable is a crime agianst humanity >_>

But he was created to save humanity....
    And can you really hate a guy, who uses babies as bodyarmor....
    250px-Cable-promo-image.jpg

And
    'Cable could port around the world at will, fetch beer from the fridge with the power of his mind, and then crush said beer can against his metallic love handle'.
    Best superpowers ever.
  • Options
    moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    (In no particular order)

1. Tony Harris
    2. Gene Ha
    3. JH Williams III
    4. David Aja
    5. David Mazuchelli
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    But he was created to save humanity....
    And can you really hate a guy, who uses babies as bodyarmor....
    250px-Cable-promo-image.jpg

And
    'Cable could port around the world at will, fetch beer from the fridge with the power of his mind, and then crush said beer can against his metallic love handle'.
    Best superpowers ever.

He also made Bishop better by comparison. So, there's that...
    ...Since 2009.
  • Options
    zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    mcfarlane. i think its spelled like that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    artmanpwe wrote: »
    He also made Bishop better by comparison. So, there's that...

Bishop was actually the only one of the X-continuity badasses I liked. Well, one of the two if you also count Gambit as a kind of badass.
    He had valid reasons for being jaded, unlike Logan.
    He wasn't over the top, unlike Cable.
    His design wasn't overdone.
    He was actually acting as someone with paramilitary background, not always being overly brutal when it wasn't needed. And actually following orders of a someone who's his commander.
    He had nice touch with his respect to Cyclops and Storm, yet struggling against his old habits. I liked his interactions with Storm and I still think that pairing should be him and Storm, not Storm and Black Panther.

Not to mention, his powerset was spot-on for a mutant hunter. Not the scariest enemy against the baseline humans with guns, but if you happen to be a mutant energy projector... Ooops.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Bishop was actually the only one of the X-continuity badasses I liked. Well, one of the two if you also count Gambit as a kind of badass.
    He had valid reasons for being jaded, unlike Logan.
    He wasn't over the top, unlike Cable.
    His design wasn't overdone.
    He was actually acting as someone with paramilitary background, not always being overly brutal when it wasn't needed. And actually following orders of a someone who's his commander.
    He had nice touch with his respect to Cyclops and Storm, yet struggling against his old habits. I liked his interactions with Storm and I still think that pairing should be him and Storm, not Storm and Black Panther.

Not to mention, his powerset was spot-on for a mutant hunter. Not the scariest enemy against the baseline humans with guns, but if you happen to be a mutant energy projector... Ooops.

He was someone from the future who wasn't a flippin' Summers (or Richards). A plus, imho : )
    ...Since 2009.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited June 2014

As a rule, I don't know enough to talk about artist. But that { points up } sounds very close to what my nephew once said about Todd. It was followed up with his mimicking Todd's sound effects - DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM. Only the way my nephew did it each DOOM had a kind of }}}gong{{{ sound to it.

In a quick search, I found this in case folks don't understand what I'm talking about.

http://www.chasingamazingblog.com/2014/05/30/ama/
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    That article made me realize something about Todd McFarlane that I hadn't really thought about before now...I really dislike the way he drew Spider-Man's head.. it's all weirdly shaped and weird.

Also I think all that doom going on is supposed to be voodoo drums or something. Because Calypso.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Truth be told, as much as I acknowledge McFarlane's artistic proficiency on a purely technical level, I always hated his style with passion.
    I have very strong dislike for his way of putting together panels and drawing character faces. Technically it's nothing bad. It's just... I dislike this style.

Back in the nineties Spiderman in Poland was available mostly in reprints from few publications put as a one monthly comic book. McFarlane was popular, so he completely replaced almost all artists there because, of course, his stories were reprinted most often.
    It nearly killed Spiderman for me. I couldn't stand McFarlane's potato-headed people. The way how he made even Mary Jane looking hideous.

How happy I was when Marvel finally got rid of him and reprints from McFarlane stories were replaced with Bagley's.

Good he no longer draws comic books.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have many favourite comic-book artists, but I have a special place for Frank Quitely and Jae Lee.

Quitely has a style that is unique with a slight grotesque element, which makes each character look more real and believable. This is done through the use of mostly fine line, which allows for plenty of detail.

Additionally, the way he depicts a character’s posture and movement speaks volumes about them, allowing for an extra layer of personality.

FrankQuitelyBatmanandrobin.jpg

FrankQuitelyKrull.jpg

FrankQuitely-Endless.jpg

I'll cover Jae Lee in my next post.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Jae Lee's works of art may have the fundamentals of comic art, but he takes it to the next level with radical compositions and slashing uses of pen and ink.

His most current work is a delicate balance of action, fine illustration, and iconic imagery. Sometimes it looks like a renaissance sculptor's work and sometimes it creates gothic horror, but the uses of shadow to define figures and objects is what sets Jae Lee's artwork apart for me.

JaeLeeOzymandias.jpg

JaeLeeSupesBat.jpg

JaeLeeWonderWoman.png
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Jae Lee's Namor comics in the early 90s is one of the main reasons I love that character.
    11qhboj.jpg

2mdflo8.jpg
    Like everything of that era it was Totally XTREME to the Max!

He has clearly progressed a lot as an artist, these were done very early in his career.(I still think they're fantastic though!)
  • Options
    moxiedangermoxiedanger Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    D'oh, Jae Lee should have been on my list as well. I first got into him with Hellshock back in the mid 90s, and have stuck with him ever since. The Ozymandias and Dark Tower books are about as good as art gets in comic book format.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    And once again Rob Lefield reigns supreme... Almost.

tumblr_n47x34vlJM1qmwwklo1_1280.jpg

He's now, officially, an artist who CAN'T draw even Optimus Prime. A character with an anatomy composed entirely of simple boxes.

Rob, u r great. Luv ya. :3

I like how smart he managed to cover broken perspective with GI Joes. :D
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    And once again Rob Lefield reigns supreme... Almost.

tumblr_n47x34vlJM1qmwwklo1_1280.jpg

He's now, officially, an artist who CAN'T draw even Optimus Prime. A character with an anatomy composed entirely of simple boxes.

Rob, u r great. Luv ya. :3

I like how smart he managed to cover broken perspective with GI Joes. :D

C'mon, man. Look at how many feet he had to draw in that scene. Cut him some friggin' slack.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This guy's one of them. (With a friend's well worn, signed copy of a particular RPG)

10287018_10204196056892589_5939075444688308094_o.jpg
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    A very valuable piece of a solid documentary work regarding Rob Liefield, courtesy of the always awesome Transformers Wiki:
    But you are viewing it at your own responsibility...
    Not even TF comics were free from being influenced byt this great man, as he was the one who got Pat Lee into the industry.
    Great artist always stick together! :biggrin: