test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question to the Development Team

theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
I'd like to ask...

Is there a REAL possibility of the Development team being given time or making time (based on what you guys may be working on/with) to carry out another Bugsplatathon style month/two month period where Bugs are compiled by players and work is done to rectify them?

I do reckon this would be VERY welcome news if at all possible. And I am sure many players, like last time, will pitch in.

This question has been on my mind for a while and I'd love an answer or even some intelligent discussion about this topic.

Thank you in advance.
Post edited by theravenforce on

Comments

• jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would like them to keep us informed on what they are currently working on, that way we have something to look forward to
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jedite2012 wrote: »
    I would like them to keep us informed on what they are currently working on, that way we have something to look forward to

And sadly, this player base burned that bridge years ago.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jedite2012 wrote: »

The fact that we haven't gotten a new SotG for such a long time, while the other two games have been consistently getting them, is telling enough that they have nothing really worthwhile to hype to us.
    edited May 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    The fact that we haven't gotten a new SotG for such a long time, while the other two games have been consistently getting them, is telling enough that they have nothing really worthwhile to hype to us.

I am sure they do, however, that being said, considering this player base has consistently and unquestionably thrown everything back in their face, even though they love denying that simple fact, I doubt many would be inclined to bother saying what, if anything, big is being worked on.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,582 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The player base has proven to be worse in STO and especially NWO.

Jennymachx's assumption seems plenty more accurate. Not much to hype us on.

However the recent openings on the Cryptic site seems promising. Though we might not see any results from that for many many many many months to come.
    edited May 2014
    The player base has proven to be worse in STO and especially NWO.

Jennymachx's assumption seems plenty more accurate. Not much to hype us on.

However the recent openings on the Cryptic site seems promising. Though we might not see any results from that for many many many many months to come.

I don't think so. They are bad, but Champions has been consistently worse.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • skylygerskylyger Posts: 227 Arc User
    edited May 2014

yep and your one of them. It has always always always been the rabid fan(female canines) that have been the issue here fighting tooth and nail to make the devs think every bad choice they made was an epic add on to the game, while so disgusting the good players who would have been loyal to a worthy game that they can do nothing more then watch this train wreck and laugh at it as it slowly wastes away like a cancer patient.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Opinions may differ. Unless you have proof that shows this, while at the same time contrasting that with STO and NW........................
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And sadly, this player base burned that bridge years ago.

The bridge hasn't been burned. The bridge you're speaking of is the bridge from the VB mishandling, or the F2P changes, or maybe On Alert, (though that one was deserving). None of the devs on the current team are from any of those disasters, other than possibly on alert. Cryptic North isn't Cryptic.
  • blademaster5121blademaster5121 Posts: 956 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    On alert was an improvement so long as you don't count all the stuff which was removed.

More bad than good came of it.
    edited May 2014
    That would require that NWO not needing to be redone from the ground up and those resources taken from CO to do it.
  • jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    gradii wrote: »
    Due to content becoming unrewarding? due to mob AI remaining drop dead stupid, instead of being updated to reflect the new standard?

I'd say. Just finish the job, and re add rewards, revamp mob AI.

I actually laughed at that.

They are pretty stupid even for an MMO mob
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You won't get a direct answer; just a bunch of interjections from players who are jaded and such.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I doubt any admin will be able to answer your question.
    From what I've observed over the years, the old dev team in charge of CO got replaced by new ones. Hence, Cryptic North. However, these ppl (i bet) don't know how CO actually works. Most of the recent content we've been getting were just content in the game made available to players. (e.g. Chaos Aura, glow aura, etc.) Like they're just recycling content to keep players under control.

Sure they know how to make vehicles and auras, but I don't think they can create a new Zone from scratch.
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • jadetorajadetora Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    From what I've observed over the years, the old dev team in charge of CO got replaced by new ones. Hence, Cryptic North. However, these ppl (i bet) don't know how CO actually works. Most of the recent content we've been getting were just content in the game made available to players. (e.g. Chaos Aura, glow aura, etc.) Like they're just recycling content to keep players under control.

Sure they know how to make vehicles and auras, but I don't think they can create a new Zone from scratch.

Well they've made new alerts, so they understand at least a little of how the game functions and how to make things for it, it would seem.

That said, Thundrax has hinted in the past that he might know something about potential actual content being made. The chances however are not high in our opinions, for us more than anything that We've seen from Cryptic in general as a whole company (Cryptic North included) is that their corporate mantra seems to be; "Half @%& it, laziness makes maximum profit."

At least it's something to naively hope for, even if it's incredibly foolish. Just don't bank on this game ever becoming more than it currently is.
    You won't get a direct answer; just a bunch of interjections from players who are jaded and such.

Like players don't have a reason to be jaded?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited May 2014

Yeah, I guess it's about promises and deadlines. But even IF they said: "We'd like to run another development/TLC session for CO like this again in the near future or later this year." Or just flat out express an interest in this, I think that may be beneficial.

I think they have the skills to create content, but it may be a matter of time and money and possibly resources in order to create a large piece of content like a new zone, rather than inability.

If they are in fact slowly but surely or very secretly generating a new zone for us, not only will that require extensive testing, time and bug checking, but something of that size in terms of an addition to CO, would be a welcome addition to say the least.

But that's all speculation at this point, if they are working on anything, I'll be happy to stick around and be surprised. Even if they aren't, I'll very likely be sticking around, CO's great, despite the bugs and various issues. It could be better yes, but no other game out there right now beats it in customization.

Cryptic North have shown at the very least interest in CO by running that last Bug-splat-a-thon event and went through the game and cleared up a few bugs, I'm not about to complain about that or how they are doing their job because I have zero experience working for Cryptic or working in Game Development and coding etc, so I can only HOPE that whatever they are doing will soon come to light, hopefully in a good way.

Still it would be nice to see a response from the Dev team. :wink:
  • highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Fixing bugs doesn't get them money. New lockboxes do. And I bet there's some big pwe leader mailing cryptic north regularly about how he'll shut the game down if it doesn't bring in that much money. I'm not enjoying it, but our devs using the few resources they have to produce lockboxes is the only way this game's going to stay alive a little longer.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Fixing a bug will only "make" them money if it may cause money to drop off otherwise. For example if a bug is able to be exploited to the point it can bring the servers down you'll see a fix come within a day for it maybe less. It's laughable how fast it can actually be done. Also they will sometimes look into fixing stuff to make way for something they want to do that may make profit.

Fact is that a lockbox-

afjx3a.jpg

the-internet-has-spoken.jpg
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I am sure they do, however, that being said, considering this player base has consistently and unquestionably thrown everything back in their face, even though they love denying that simple fact, I doubt many would be inclined to bother saying what, if anything, big is being worked on.

This. Hell, we were told they'd look into giving out some shinies for a promotion ending. You'd think the world ended because the bean counters most likely said no, because promotion doesn't mean you're entitled to it for the end of time. But there's a special little snowflake segment of this game that thinks they deserve literally every little thing a pwe employee even mumbles about in his sleep, and apparently that all of it should be steeply discounted or free. Heaven forbid they can't keep to every single thing they ever said, that's just blasphemy and unsubscribe worthy.

I still want my damn kitten. I'm debating starting a thread and insulting everyone who disagrees with my hyperbole.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »

I don't know what you'd define a SotG, but beyond hyping the upcoming content and the occasional dropped hint in interviews, STO hasn't had an actual official SotG report for over a year. And NW hasn't had one since beta.

The fact is that they decided that it wasn't worth it when players started complaining that stuff was being removed from the goals lists and players got into uproars over it, or that stuff on the short term list wasn't being done quickly enough, or that their pet issue/want wasn't mentioned, ect. ect.
    edited May 2014
    I still want my damn kitten. I'm debating starting a thread and insulting everyone who disagrees with my hyperbole.

Criticizes people for insulting people who disagree with their opinions, doesn't seem to realize the irony of his own post. :cool:
  • xaqchancexaqchance Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think it has to do with money. Comic Series and all that went free, when we once had to buy them. Is CO widely known enough that adding a new zone will bring more players? I don't think so, so how else do you capitalize on a new zone? Can a f2p game -sell- an expansion?
    I'm genuinely curious.
    -
    In game @Ruesteur
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluedarkybluedarky Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    xaqchance wrote: »
    I think it has to do with money. Comic Series and all that went free, when we once had to buy them. Is CO widely known enough that adding a new zone will bring more players? I don't think so, so how else do you capitalize on a new zone? Can a f2p game -sell- an expansion?
    I'm genuinely curious.

Well DCUO, LotR, CoX and Everquest manage it.

Cryptic's policy however, at least since the PWE takeover, is that content is free, you pay for extras like costume pieces, character slots, travel power skins, ect. ect.

Currently the only game this is working 100% in is STO, CO is maintaining the status quo and NW is surviving by holding a new sale/promotion every week.
    edited June 2014
    bluedarky wrote: »
    Well DCUO, LotR, CoX and Everquest manage it.

Cryptic's policy however, at least since the PWE takeover, is that content is free, you pay for extras like costume pieces, character slots, travel power skins, ect. ect.

Currently the only game this is working 100% in is STO, CO is maintaining the status quo and NW is surviving by holding a new sale/promotion every week.

Repeating again, 'CoX' will never not sound dirty to us. It's as bad as people saying they 'miss the D.'

Although We're not even sure that CO's current state could be described as 'surviving,' so much as it seems to be kept largely artificially alive.

Er, well.. Aliveish, if even that.
    edited June 2014
    xaqchance wrote: »
    I'm genuinely curious.

Take note that Atari pushed for the Comics.

Here's what happened to the Comics and their patters of success or failure:

Aftershock -

1. Was at first poorly structured and buggy throughout.

Players were skeptic and population dropped.

2. Cryptic was worried that since it wasn't doing well for the population.

Decided to follow through to see results for full implementation.

3. Complete version fixed issues and added many unique rewards to all parts of the content.

In the end it was made so well as a whole that it brought in the population and thus sale potential. And it brought in purchases.

Whiteout -

1. Was poorly structured and buggy throughout.

Players were skeptic but hopeful because of Aftershock's success.

2. Cryptic noticed population numbers follow same pattern as before.

Almost decided to follow through to make a repeat success of Aftershock. But for some reason the quality and length of released parts sharply fell. Also PWE was announced to have bought out Cryptic.

3. Complete version thrown together with no fixes for issues with no unique rewards developed for any of the parts of the content.

In the end it didn't get as well received as Aftershock.

Do you see the pattern and the why as to why Comics were abandoned? At this point it comes down to only two questions. Did the Comics system fail because it wasn't doing well? Or did they fail because Cryptic didn't want to do them in the first place?

This suggests that since Atari was no longer in control, that the Cryptic dev team was free from having to do Comics anymore.

Whiteout failed because it was purposefully never given the same chance as Aftershock.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jadetora wrote: »
    Criticizes people for insulting people who disagree with their opinions, doesn't seem to realize the irony of his own post. :cool:

I would just ignore it frankly. Anyone who blames a customer base for the failings of what is essentially a service provider is simply not in touch with reality.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    CO is run by Cyptic's Interns.

We're the training wheels for developers until they are ready for NWO or STO.

This is my fabrication on the current Dev team to say the least.
  • deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    xcaligax wrote: »
    CO is run by Cyptic's Interns.

We're the training wheels for developers until they are ready for NWO or STO.

This is my fabrication on the current Dev team to say the least.

I would probably make an attempt to seek a job and work on CO if that were the case. Only issue is that I'm not seeing any positions available for me to assist CO directly. By directly I mean actually digging into the code and touching things like numbers and poorly linked strings. I'm no code monkey, but I can certainly identify things and do a little bit of splicing here and there to achieve an effect.

Don't think they'd let some Random 18 Year Old start playing with their toys though, right? What would the rest of you think about me doing that? I'd even settle on being an unpaid intern if it meant I could have a chance at assisting the one game I play on a daily basis.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I would probably make an attempt to seek a job and work on CO if that were the case. Only issue is that I'm not seeing any positions available for me to assist CO directly. By directly I mean actually digging into the code and touching things like numbers and poorly linked strings. I'm no code monkey, but I can certainly identify things and do a little bit of splicing here and there to achieve an effect.

Don't think they'd let some Random 18 Year Old start playing with their toys though, right? What would the rest of you think about me doing that? I'd even settle on being an unpaid intern if it meant I could have a chance at assisting the one game I play on a daily basis.

If you were part of my dev team I'd say go right ahead. Young guys tend to have a full on passion for the games their working on especially code side if they're able to do so. Some of the guys I've worked with on certain games spend so much time on it they end up taking alot of it home. Its a trait most developers in their middle ages and above start to lose after a while. But the amount of things a young energetic eager passionate coder can do over the course of a short time can be so god damn thrilling, it sends the whole team into a frenzy building new content and theories around the young guys code expertise.

But I'm not cryptic so......not every team or their producers/COs have the same drive to produce great content. I'm cut from a different cloth, so I tend to focus on game design like a music artist would an album. As far as $$$$$ goes, it gets put on the back burner until what I'm working on becomes something I can call one of the best, if not the best piece of art I've ever created.