test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Where We Are and Where We're Going

stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
Last week I was asked my opinion of the state of the game and what I think could be done to make CO the game people fell in love with again. It's something I needed to think about, so here I am, making a forum post by request. I'll briefly go over where I see the game at now and what I think could be done to change things. I'm going to emphasize things that help retention and some monetization.

Where we are now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the #1 problem CO has right now is that the magic of being a superhero is not there at all.

If you play long enough, you start to recognizing people from their toons. Even with names turned off, I can tell who people are because many of us have a main with a certain look. We are in a city of superheroes. Who wants to show up at a Bloodmoon boss and see four f-ing Foxbat Fliers? People don't hate vehicles because they're powerful or expensive, they hate them because they take away from magic of being in a city full of champions.

Power imbalances take away choices for creativity. It's a struggle to build a theme that is still powerful and can contribute to a team of peers instead of being out shined and relegated to glorified cheerleader. The differences are even more apparent when you start doing "end game" content like Grav or F&I.

CO went F2P under Atari. It was done badly. PW came in a few months later and picked up Cryptic. CO was dumped on the back burner to focus on STO and Neverwinter. This game is in the unfortunate position of having a poorly done F2P and being neglected for so long.

Changes to be made.

Pick a target audience and balance the game for them. I'm under no illusion that the game should be balanced for me, but if I can blow through almost everything as a squishy AT, what do you think the average FF can do? The game should be appropriately challenging so people can feel heroic instead of bored.

Give everyone a FF slot. New accounts can have one AT slot for training wheels and one FF slot for when they figure out what the hell is going on. Balance the game for FFs. Lower the price of FF slot permanently. Give the option to "upgrade" ATs to FF for a modest price. $50 is not modest. $50 is BS.

Balance the powers. There is no reason why a rimfire - hard frost - strafing run build is doing 9k dps while most other builds do 2k dps. That's in Grav not a Burst. There isn't even a reason to participate in TEAM content when you see that.

None of the villains feel threatening. Am I supposed to be afraid of some chick in a teddy going on a drunken rampage? Fire and Ice could have been prevented with couple's counseling. Why am I stopping powerful lore villains from robbing a bank or kidnapping Mayor McDopey? Warlord has killed more heroes than any supervillain not named Dr. Destroyer, but is nothing more than a filthy BlackRedder in game. Gigaton is Dr. Destroyer's head of security, survivor of Project Sunburst, leader of the Destroyers, and totally forgettable NPC that you smack down in two minutes. And I wasn't even talking about the terrible AI.

New Player Experience

The first thing that needs to change is the text when you make a new character. "I'm Done! Take me to the tutorial." No, just no. Superheroes don't do tutorials. That text should be more along the lines of "Answer the distress signal." or whatever. Once the button is clicked we see Defender talking about the invasion and how he needs your help. This is your first mission as a superhero! The cut scene is good. As soon as you take control of your character, you are accosted by idiot boxes. Get rid of them. Every single one. If you can't show players game mechanics, you are failing.

After the first mission (never call it a tutorial) are more idiot boxes. Those need to go away as well. Stop killing the immersion of the game. Every moment logged in should remind you that you are a champion.

The next problem: You just help saved The City of The Future to be given a lame **** mission dealing with gangs. That is such a huge let down. Why not just make every enemy scale to our level? (Considering it's already in game...) Then we can go where ever we want, whenever we want. As a superhero, I have no interest in punting some loony, prescription drug lover up and down the street. Again.

Oh and this is a superhero game not a slapstick comedy. If you don't know how to add humor responsibly, hire someone or stop it.

The Nemesis System

This needs attention. Do you want to retain players long term? (I'm hoping the answer is 'yes'.) Focus on adding function and features to this. I'm going to care a whole lot more about the world I play in if I can develop and hunt my own personal enemy down. Not only do I like creating my nemesis, I like showing off my nemesis. I would like more opportunities to do this than in Q Pi
YouTube - Steam - Twitter
[at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Certainly advertising and making FF slots more available and a more reasonable game price tag ($20 MAX). Silver accounts could get one free FF slot if they level an AT to 40.

Pricing is the biggest downfall in this game. Subscriptions are awesome. But if they want to follow through intelligently into the F2P market, they should keep prices away from absurd.

As for Nemesis, may never happen.

As for Bases, its an inevitable step to any MMO.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sterga wrote: »
    If you play long enough, you start to recognizing people from their toons. Even with names turned off, I can tell who people are because many of us have a main with a certain look. We are in a city of superheroes. Who wants to show up at a Bloodmoon boss and see four f-ing Foxbat Fliers? People don't hate vehicles because they're powerful or expensive, they hate them because they take away from magic of being in a city full of champions.

I agree, and I still say the solution to this is to allow customization to vehicles. I would rather the game not feature them at all if we're not able to make them our own. Of course, I accept the fact that no one is going to go for cutting them out completely, so we might as well put a band-aid on this thing.

Heroes don't buy stuff off the lot. Your bike is 'The Silver Streak', or 'The Jackal', or Thunderhawk or Mister Flappypoot's Flying Buttcrusher Express. People see it and they know you're the SOB behind the wheel/stick.

Don't sell vehicles by appearance, sell them by slots if you want to monetize them.

Give everyone a FF slot. New accounts can have one AT slot for training wheels and one FF slot for when they figure out what the hell is going on. Balance the game for FFs. Lower the price of FF slot permanently. Give the option to "upgrade" ATs to FF for a modest price. $50 is not modest. $50 is BS.

I still say that there's a way around this.

First of all, that price needs to be chopped down significantly. It's freeform with nothing but 'freeform power building'. There's nothing else. At least open up ALL the options subscribers have for them.

Otherwise, I'd say offer the option to make a Silver's character freeform at level 40.

None of the villains feel threatening. Am I supposed to be afraid of some chick in a teddy going on a drunken rampage? Fire and Ice could have been prevented with couple's counseling. Why am I stopping powerful lore villains from robbing a bank or kidnapping Mayor McDopey? Warlord has killed more heroes than any supervillain not named Dr. Destroyer, but is nothing more than a filthy BlackRedder in game. Gigaton is Dr. Destroyer's head of security, survivor of Project Sunburst, leader of the Destroyers, and totally forgettable NPC that you smack down in two minutes. And I wasn't even talking about the terrible AI.

It's not just the villains, it's the missions. Why would anyone kidnap a Mayor? It's probably one of the most useless political positions on the face of the earth. Wanna impress me? Kidnap the Chief of Staff of PRIMUS. The only villain that has a reason to kidnap the Mayor that makes sense is Foxbat- he has unpaid parking tickets.

A lot of the villains just don't... feel scary. I know in the books a lot of them were pretty badass and terrifying, so they should look and feel that way. It's like someone making the Playskool version of Megatron... it's kind of sad.

Oh and this is a superhero game not a slapstick comedy. If you don't know how to add humor responsibly, hire someone or stop it.

It's actually worse than all those 'parody' movies made by these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Friedberg_and_Aaron_Seltzer

It's sad and not funny and needs to be put to sle- er... 'taken to the farm with all the other puppies to run and play!'
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Gold already gets an xp bonus, unfortunately due to vet rewards list now being NOT on ARC, I can't get at them. I think its to about level 10,15,20 depending on time subbed.

what I'd like changed.
    IN big letters at character creation,
    as well as the costume and behavior guidelines
    You are NOT allowed to copy any character from film, comic or book in name, looks or background. When reported your character will be defaulted.
    Have a Short, simple English version of the TOS, instead of the full length legal version which very few people read.
    SOB- also means silly old bast...d.
    But yes, they really need to be more individual.

imagine going into the vehicle store and choosing,
    look - bike, tank, saucer(hey I want one) with a shape adjustment program to stretch it along all 3 axis.
    colours- main, secondary, trim.
    decals - front, side, rear, fins, underneath(I want a target symbol there, right over the most heavily armoured spot)
    accessories - fuzzy dice, weapons on show, sheilds, big **** speakers, flood lights.
    slots- choose your weapons, which get added to the price. If you haven't got the full money yet. save the file as a named model and come back later

yes, change all the mobs to skull level and remove the levels on all missions except VB crisis. That is supposed to be at the end.
    Start where you want.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Excellent post. I like all of it. Even the subtle stuff about the tutorial. Good thinking there.

One thing I would change is the banner. I get the meaning behind it, but it's not anything you'd see in comic books. Maybe something like a mascot or a character that's an ally to the supergroup.

Anyway, really cool stuff here.
    biffsig.jpg
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The big change I would like is pricing.

The C-Store stuff is too expensive.

All ATs should just be free--would give more variety to folks trying things out.

Nemesis system should be CO's biggest selling point. It really could be.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I know where I am. in front of my PC. I know where ima going. TO THE FRIDGE! for some half eaten Easter eggs.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with pretty much everything you stated as well as your Suggestions

• Freeform Slots should hade be cheaper! 50$ / 36€ are Ridiculous Expensive (who the heck is in charge of setting Z-store prices?) it should have been around 2500 Zen in my Opinion
    • Silver FF slots should be Colorable and Pet's Skin changeable (ESPECIALLY since you must pay 5000 Zen for it)
    • ATs should have the option to color their powers
    • There should already been a Resource Extension for Silver players (STO has this...)
    • NEMESIS needs to be revisited/resurrected/remade! Cryptic and PWE could make Profit of a new Nemesis System... but apparently they prefered to let the system left to Die! Nemesis should have been the Priority and NOT Vehicles (also I would like to see Customisable permanet Sidekicks linked with the Nemesis System)
    • The Tutorial is indeed HORRIBLE! also lack of Block Tutorial (NO CRYPTIC, making Defender shout is not a tutorial! Also those Idiot Boxes Negates my Gamepad controls, making me unable to Block :| GG )
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • amarillonmcamarillonmc Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    • The Tutorial is indeed HORRIBLE! also lack of Block Tutorial (NO CRYPTIC, making Defender shout is not a tutorial! Also those Idiot Boxes Negates my Gamepad controls, making me unable to Block :| GG )

They once had a Blocking tutorial, it's right after the beginning, before the find code briefcase one. MCPD guys is going to be testing weapons on you and you need to successfully block 4 times to continue, something like that.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...the ultimate Contrast Moe (or not).
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They once had a Blocking tutorial, it's right after the beginning, before the find code briefcase one. MCPD guys is going to be testing weapons on you and you need to successfully block 4 times to continue, something like that.

I remember this!
    THAT was a good Block Tutorial!
    The fact that it was removed was a horrible decision
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,742 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why was that blocking tutorial removed anyways? I do recall it many years back when I was just casually trying out the game.

Anyways I agree on pretty much all accounts w/ Sterga. Esp about making FF more accessible and having an option to raise the Silver resource cap.

Also, all ATs free? Yes pls. Esp if they aren't going to bother making them better- paying for some of the worst ATs out there (Inventor, Impulse) is just silly. W/ all their restrictions and most of them being quite flawed, there just shouldn't be premium ones.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Wow some really well thought out points. My subscription actually lapsed this month and I did't bother to update/renew it. Why? The game hasn't had a significant content update in two years. We've gotten some things (for which I'm thankful) but seriously two years without some kind DLC or significant content upgrade.. just wow.

I do think FF slots are much too expensive. I don't agree that all AT's should be free. However, The existing paid AT's need to be tweaked in order to be useful on rampages. (For ex: Give the inventor resurrection serum).

I'm a weird MMO player in that I'm not a huge fan of "Dungeon Style" DnD type settings. I never have been, even back when I played table top. I might migrate back to STO or grit my teeth and try DCUO again. I was hoping Shadowrun would make a go of it.. but that looks like a lost cause.

I understand that Champions is pretty much on maintenance mode. But PWE really needs to throw it's loyal players a bone here. Even if they can only manage one significant content update a year. How much in resources can that really cost them?

My guess is the return isn't worth the investment of time, energy, and money. This isn't a a "oh noes the game is dying" kind of rant. Just more of a .. "I wish PWE would pay more attention to Champions" one.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • r9xchaosr9xchaos Posts: 533
    edited April 2014
    I totally agree with the OP.

please cryptic read
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    avianos wrote: »
    • Freeform Slots should hade be cheaper! 50$ / 36€ are Ridiculous Expensive (who the heck is in charge of setting Z-store prices?) it should have been around 2500 Zen in my Opinion

To be fair, back before Freeform Slots were a thing, many players on the forums said they'd easily pay $30 - $50 for a single Freeform Slot. Cryptic may have just been going off of what the players were demanding.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2014
    To be fair, back before Freeform Slots were a thing, many players on the forums said they'd easily pay $30 - $50 for a single Freeform Slot. Cryptic may have just been going off of what the players were demanding.

Which is about half the reason we're where we're at right now... listening to everyone.

Even when I started playing CO, and I had no intention of subscribing- had you offered me a Freeform slot for $50 I'd have laughed.

$30 I would have considered it but I would have wanted all the colorable powers and my stipend lifted.
    edited April 2014
    If I say to Cryptic I'd buy a Zonda for 30 bucks you think they might send me one? >_>
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • chaoswolf820chaoswolf820 Posts: 734 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The OP has summarized everything I can think of worth complaining about in this game.

I am speechless.

Now let's see if Cryptic hears any of this.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    If I say to Cryptic I'd buy a Zonda for 30 bucks you think they might send me one? >_>

They'd likely send you this one.
    -
    hot-pursuit-car-crash.jpg
    -
    And I mean the picture. Because even a smashed Zonda is probably worth half-a-mill.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, they finally managed to get ground physics working for the Vehicles.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it needs to be understood that the high price for the FF slot is due to the fact that it's meant as an alternative, a flat lump sum fee, to paying for a monthly subscription to access freeform.

What I don't agree with is how its implemented. Freeform slot toons should be able to access power colorization too, but only for that specific toon if the player remains silver. I'd go as far as wanting all gold-access costume pieces unlocked for that specific toon as well including the other gold benefits. Make it a "Gold slot" instead of just a freeform slot. Give the silver player the choice between paying smaller-priced, concurring fees to access gold for multiple characters or make a single but larger-priced payment to get the same but for a single character. I think that would better justify the $50 price and make the slot more attractive sales wise instead of slashing the price.

As much as I'd love them to continue working on the nemesis system. The previous Q&A mentioned that Cryptic has no interest in doing anything further about it sadly in black and white.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    What I don't agree with is how its implemented. Freeform slot toons should be able to access power colorization too, but only for that specific toon if the player remains silver. I'd go as far as wanting all gold-access costume pieces unlocked for that specific toon as well including the other gold benefits. Make it a "Gold slot" instead of just a freeform slot. Give the silver player the choice between paying smaller-priced, concurring fees to access gold for multiple characters or make a single but larger-priced payment to get the same but for a single character. I think that would better justify the $50 price and make the slot more attractive sales wise instead of slashing the price.
    ^ Pretty much this.

At $50 price tag acces only to FF builds is not enough. Additions like the proposed ones would add more sense to this pricing.

Wit no changes, as it stands now, when FF slot represents only FF power selection and nothing else (and it must be remembered that Silver account is hit by one big inconvenience with freeform slot - global resource limit that makes retraining at 40 lvl very troublesome) a $20 price tag makes much more sense.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Last week I was asked my opinion of the state of the game and what I think could be done to make CO the game people fell in love with again. It's something I needed to think about, so here I am, making a forum post by request. I'll briefly go over where I see the game at now and what I think could be done to change things. I'm going to emphasize things that help retention and some monetization.

Where we are now.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the #1 problem CO has right now is that the magic of being a superhero is not there at all.

Power imbalances take away choices for creativity. It's a struggle to build a theme that is still powerful and can contribute to a team of peers instead of being out shined and relegated to glorified cheerleader. The differences are even more apparent when you start doing "end game" content like Grav or F&I.

CO went F2P under Atari. It was done badly. PW came in a few months later and picked up Cryptic. CO was dumped on the back burner to focus on STO and Neverwinter. This game is in the unfortunate position of having a poorly done F2P and being neglected for so long.

Changes to be made.

Pick a target audience and balance the game for them. I'm under no illusion that the game should be balanced for me, but if I can blow through almost everything as a squishy AT, what do you think the average FF can do? The game should be appropriately challenging so people can feel heroic instead of bored.

Balance the powers. There is no reason why a rimfire - hard frost - strafing run build is doing 9k dps while most other builds do 2k dps. That's in Grav not a Burst. There isn't even a reason to participate in TEAM content when you see that.

New Player Experience

The first thing that needs to change is the text when you make a new character. "I'm Done! Take me to the tutorial." No, just no. Superheroes don't do tutorials. That text should be more along the lines of "Answer the distress signal." or whatever. Once the button is clicked we see Defender talking about the invasion and how he needs your help. This is your first mission as a superhero! The cut scene is good. As soon as you take control of your character, you are accosted by idiot boxes. Get rid of them. Every single one. If you can't show players game mechanics, you are failing.

After the first mission (never call it a tutorial) are more idiot boxes. Those need to go away as well. Stop killing the immersion of the game. Every moment logged in should remind you that you are a champion.

The next problem: You just help saved The City of The Future to be given a lame **** mission dealing with gangs. That is such a huge let down. Why not just make every enemy scale to our level? (Considering it's already in game...) Then we can go where ever we want, whenever we want. As a superhero, I have no interest in punting some loony, prescription drug lover up and down the street. Again.

The Nemesis System

This needs attention. Do you want to retain players long term? (I'm hoping the answer is 'yes'.) Focus on adding function and features to this. I'm going to care a whole lot more about the world I play in if I can develop and hunt my own personal enemy down. Not only do I like creating my nemesis, I like showing off my nemesis. I would like more opportunities to do this than in Q Pi
  • tkittehtkitteh Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    I think it needs to be understood that the high price for the FF slot is due to the fact that it's meant as an alternative, a flat lump sum fee, to paying for a monthly subscription to access freeform.
    [\QUOTE]

I can see that. But for $50 that FF character could at least be bumped up to full gold status, Free form + No gold llimit + Bonus costumes + and so on ( 1 one-time free *AT* slot on getting to 40 ??). Some of that would take some extra programming, and sadly rather intensive back searching through purchase logs. A llittle more insentive for such a macro-transaction.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Don't expect anything and you will never be disappointed.

Sorry, I hate to be a naysayer but how many times do we have to be told no before it sets in that we will never get a major expansion.

We can keep sending our great ideas that could possible make this game money and it will keep hitting deaf ears. Hell even half the things people find in the PTS get ignored until it hits live.

Just expect lockboxes and small temp events and you will be happy. nothing more is coming.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bwdares wrote: »

Sorry, I hate to be a naysayer but how many times do we have to be told no before it sets in that we will never get a major expansion.

We can keep sending our great ideas that could possible make this game money and it will keep hitting deaf ears. Hell even half the things people find in the PTS get ignored until it hits live.

Just expect lockboxes and small temp events and you will be happy. nothing more is coming.

I must have missed the <irony> tags in your sig, then.

In the meantime, I'll keep fighting. Kinda comes with the genre, you know.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    bwdares wrote: »

This has pretty much become my philosophy concerning this game. It's... quite unfortunate, though.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I must have missed the <irony> tags in your sig, then.

In the meantime, I'll keep fighting. Kinda comes with the genre, you know.

Oh yeah, the sig is full of Irony. It started long ago with #goatees for helmets. and when that happened someone said I needed to update my sig.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Both missions and the way villains are presented are a problem. Some of these guys are supposed to be top level threats and are basically stealing candy from babies in game.

The XP bonus for Golds is only until level 15 or so. I was thinking more along the lines of an all the time bonus. I believe going gold and staying silver should both be attractive options for game play not keeping silvers as "gimpy" status to encourage subs. Because it's not working.

Vehicles are a short term way to make money. They have little to no long term value for the game. I would say as they are now is more of a detriment to the game. Cryptic can still throw vehicles out, but they should not be the focus of the game right now.

The reason why AT should be free is because they're just training wheels for learning the game. No one goes gold for the "premium" ATs. They go gold for crap tons of FF slots. FFs should be the focus of game play experience, not ATs. It's even in line with the game slogan "be the hero you want to be" which is not what an AT is.

The reason I don't agree with $50 for FF slots is because it doesn't encourage repeat purchases. I'm not sure what the price should be, but look at how people go nuts over FF slots when they're 50% off. It makes me wonder what would happen to sales if that was the price all of the time.

Some of the prices are too high and some are too low. It may be too late for them to change the prices for things that are "too low", but it's never too late to make expensive items more reasonably priced.

I tried to make suggestion things I feel would be realistic. (OK, some things are a bit out there.) Since I don't have game data and I'm not actually a developer, I have no idea if any of this stuff is so far out there that it would be impossible. I chose the Nemesis system since it has the most potential to help this game. People love to show off their creations. As for guilds, that's just flat out a retention mechanic. People that keep playing are more likely to spend money.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Both missions and the way villains are presented are a problem. Some of these guys are supposed to be top level threats and are basically stealing candy from babies in game.

The XP bonus for Golds is only until level 15 or so. I was thinking more along the lines of an all the time bonus. I believe going gold and staying silver should both be attractive options for game play not keeping silvers as "gimpy" status to encourage subs. Because it's not working.

Vehicles are a short term way to make money. They have little to no long term value for the game. I would say as they are now is more of a detriment to the game. Cryptic can still throw vehicles out, but they should not be the focus of the game right now.

The reason why AT should be free is because they're just training wheels for learning the game. No one goes gold for the "premium" ATs. They go gold for crap tons of FF slots. FFs should be the focus of game play experience, not ATs. It's even in line with the game slogan "be the hero you want to be" which is not what an AT is.

The reason I don't agree with $50 for FF slots is because it doesn't encourage repeat purchases. I'm not sure what the price should be, but look at how people go nuts over FF slots when they're 50% off. It makes me wonder what would happen to sales if that was the price all of the time.

Some of the prices are too high and some are too low. It may be too late for them to change the prices for things that are "too low", but it's never too late to make expensive items more reasonably priced.

I tried to make suggestion things I feel would be realistic. (OK, some things are a bit out there.) Since I don't have game data and I'm not actually a developer, I have no idea if any of this stuff is so far out there that it would be impossible. I chose the Nemesis system since it has the most potential to help this game. People love to show off their creations. As for guilds, that's just flat out a retention mechanic. People that keep playing are more likely to spend money.

I agree w/ you 100% on the op and this post. That being said, this is what has me worried:

As a purchaser of many ff slots, if they were offered at a reasonable price (say $10-20) I would go nuts and buy tons. However, a subscription is similarly priced and offers the new player so many more (albeit temporary) benefits, and we don't have enough gold subs at present to warrant a proper paid community rep (yes Turtle is great but he *was promoted). Absent a massive marketing campaign (which we will not get) where in hades do we find a formula to increase game population too the extent they would face the above mentioned choices?

Bah I'm blabbering, apologies.
    edited April 2014
    Yeah the only villain in this game that seems like serious threat is good old big T. And we are YET TO FIGHT the games main villain.......whats up with that.

Next thing they should do is a Dr Destroyer SUPER RAMPAGE :O I want to see Destroyer destroy stuff >_>
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would love an event or Rampage featuring full power Dr. D with waves of nasty robots, plus his powerful super-powered henchmen.

Likewise, Takofanes and the other undead heroes need to be doubled or tripled in power--more health, higher defenses, bigger area attacks, and more damage.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Where we are now.

Changes to be made.

New Player Experience

The Nemesis System

• chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    As long as we're making unreasonable requests that would cost as much as the game makes in 2 years, I want the lair overhaul finished.

I'm with you on cutting the price of freeform and giving out the ATs for free, though. I know maybe 3 people who've bought one, and I know like half of the game's population at this point.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Personally, they should make freeform silver level, but with restrictions, aka you gotta buy the power sets to have access to them. It would sell a hell of a lot better than the ATs do. But at this point, I doubt that is even viable.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • kneddknedd Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree with the OP on almost all points excepting the FF slots. They are one of the things that was great about this game, but also one of the factors that unbalanced the game.

I would prefer that they keep the FF slots as they are and instead work on balancing the ATs and creating team content which would encourage folks to get together and play.

FFs are great for PvP but the PvE content is way too easy for them....
  • drmechanodrmechano Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014

I will point out that when the game first came out it was both better AND worse at the same time.

From the Tutorial you went straight to Canada or the Desert, Millenium city was actually mid-game content. Now this was better because you lept to dealing with something more akin to actual character progression ("You've saved the city but the attack has caused villain groups to push forward while we were saving the city, we need your help in these hotspots!" kind of thing).

However, note that none of the Millenium city content has actually changed (some of it has been moved around, given to Kodiak for example), so it was actually even MORE jarring to go from dealing with appropriate superhero threats to suddenly fighting streetcrime...after you'd beaten up VIPER agents, Irradiated super mutants and the like.

So its better now than it was (it makes sense for a fresh-faced hero to start out at street level and work their way up to World/Cosmic threats, which is how CoH did it, you started out fighting street gangs and ended up fighting a highly trained, incredibly well funded anti-metahuman organisation with equipment made specifically to screw over metahumans OR evil dimensional dopplegangers OR the remenants of the alien species that nearly successfully took over Earth and cost untold number of lives to fight off OR A supervillain that has been around for over 200+ years and is pretty much Dr Destroyer in a Steampunk brass mecha-suit) but the whole tutorial is still a bit too grand to jump from 'saving the world' to 'has a bit of trouble fighting street toughs'.
    edited April 2014
    Oh, thanks for making me think of Nemesis and how much I miss the old magnificent bastard of brass.

It%27s_all_a_Nemesis_plot!.png
  • drmechanodrmechano Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh, thanks for making me think of Nemesis and how much I miss the old magnificent bastard of brass.

Don't worry, I'm sure he is still out there, plotting...infact if any villain (since it seemed numerous heroes) survived whatever RP explanation people have for 'multiverse ending event', then it would be him.

Though don't worry some other villains did survive too (I have a Carnival of Shadows Ring Mistress character (who is currently doing the whole 'pretend to be a hero thing since none of my backup actually made it through and I'm vastly outnumbered' thing) and I've seen a Malta Gunslinger and Malta Sapper cohort as well).

Speaking of which...I do wondered if I could pull off a close copy of old Nemesis..I can already indentify some of the parts required).
    edited April 2014
    drmechano wrote: »
    Don't worry, I'm sure he is still out there, plotting...infact if any villain (since it seemed numerous heroes) survived whatever RP explanation people have for 'multiverse ending event', then it would be him.

The SG I play with is a lot of CoX veterans. They actually RP that theoretically their world was possibly destroyed by horrors from the edge of reality. Their story is that there was a mass-evacuation of several civilians and heroes and villains... but some were scattered or even destroyed outright in the dimensional rift, others awakened with scrambled memories of what their world was. Others are actually entirely new variations of what they were.
    drmechano wrote: »
    Though don't worry some other villains did survive too (I have a Carnival of Shadows Ring Mistress character (who is currently doing the whole 'pretend to be a hero thing since none of my backup actually made it through and I'm vastly outnumbered' thing) and I've seen a Malta Gunslinger and Malta Sapper cohort as well).

My main character has a 'Slobberknocker' developed from a damaged Arachnos Wolf Spider mace. His toddler has an Arachnos shirt.

Malta is actually alive and well according to some- operating in various organizations (even PRIMUS) or as smaller cells under a different name. Truthfully, the organization could do very well in CO...

I have also made something resembling a Widow before.
    edited April 2014
    The nemesis system already exists in the game and so do devices with mod slots. If the devs can add new event stories, I don't see how they can't add more nemesis mission. The hardest to implement suggestions would be the writing and desperately needed AI miracle.

When this game was launched, ATs didn't exists. They were tacked on in the F2P move. If you take away FFs, you kill a big reason why many people play. CO would be reduced to another ho-hum, class based game with an awesome paper doll maker. Lets face it, ATs are not well build and the only reason they can be used at all is due to how easy the game is.

There are several reason for making all enemies use that scary monster thing. The biggest one is that all content will always be relevant. Having the freedom to just go wherever you want whenever you want means you never have to go to areas you hate and head straight to your favorite sections. Any new content no longer has to factor 'what level should it be' as it won't matter.

CO went F2P because subs weren't working. The whole idea is to make this game appealing to silver players as silver players and not trying to get them to sub or make them feel like they're being suckered when they spend their money.
    edited April 2014
    The SG I play with is a lot of CoX veterans. They actually RP that theoretically their world was possibly destroyed by horrors from the edge of reality. Their story is that there was a mass-evacuation of several civilians and heroes and villains... but some were scattered or even destroyed outright in the dimensional rift, others awakened with scrambled memories of what their world was. Others are actually entirely new variations of what they were.

Yeah, I went with the Earth-1, Earth-2 explanation myself. Each of my CO characters are parallel versions of my CoH characters with similar but subtly different histories.

Still miss Lord Nemesis though. Perhaps I will use that costume file floating around the costumes forum to have Nemesis as my Nemesis so he can Nemesis plot while he Nemesis plots.
  • riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    When this game was launched, ATs didn't exists. They were tacked on in the F2P move. If you take away FFs, you kill a big reason why many people play. CO would be reduced to another ho-hum, class based game with an awesome paper doll maker. Lets face it, ATs are not well build and the only reason they can be used at all is due to how easy the game is.

I have to agree wholeheartedly with this.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    CO went F2P because subs weren't working. The whole idea is to make this game appealing to silver players as silver players and not trying to get them to sub or make them feel like they're being suckered when they spend their money.

Not exactly right.

CO went F2P not because subs weren't working outright. CO went F2P because the idea of having the game service exclusively accessed by paying a subscription fee upfront was no longer feasible. The tutorial being a free demo at the time is also not the best representation of what the game is about.

F2P was meant to provide more flexible paying options alongside a subscription model, not as a means to replace subs entirely. The game's full content can now be accessed free by silver players because it gives them a better introductory feel for the game. That helps them to make more confident decisions in investing in the cash shop and/or accessing premium features via sub to enrich their game experience.

The whole idea is to make the game appealing to silver players to get them to spend on the game. There's only so far you can go with the free lunches since it's a business and all.
    edited April 2014
    Some of the information that shaped my post. I didn't use all of it. Everything here is from people who are involved in the F2P industry in some capacity. I highly recommend going through the GDC vault.

Power Creep: http://youtu.be/Bxszx60ZwGw
    Bad Monetization: http://youtu.be/Mhz9OXy86a0
    Microtransactions: http://youtu.be/WXA559KNopI

Power of Community:
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-04-10-community-is-a-double-edged-sword

Mid-core gaming. Defining, sizing, and seizing the opportunity.
    http://www.newzoo.com/press-releases/mid-core-gaming-defining-sizing-and-seizing-the-opportunity/

How to Spot a Midcore Game
    http://youtu.be/ZRbJzw1TqT4

Why Core Gamers Hate Free To Play
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/29/why-core-gamers-hate-free-to-play

Retention Microtalks (GDC)
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020594/Microtalks-Retention-Tips-for-Free

Social Whales: Understanding a New Kind of Player
    http://youtu.be/PqjoRz7UVRM

Social Whales InfoGraph
    http://www.ninjametrics.com/blog/infographic-social-value-finding-the-true-influencers-in-social-games-and-mobile-apps