test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bastion, defender of the weak

c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Builds and Roles
I usually play DPS toons, often glass cannons so I know very little about tanks and less about bubble builds. The concept behind this toon is that he is the ultimate Bastion, the place to go to when you are in trouble. I want him to be able to tank and defend those around him. My primary concern is energy efficiency and his dps, but any advice is appreciated.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Bastion

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Endurance (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Mountain
Level 6: Boundless Reserves
Level 9: Prodigy
Level 12: Shrug It Off
Level 15: Paramilitary Training
Level 18: Bodybuilder
Level 21: Physical Conditioning

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Roomsweeper (Rank 2, Concussive Blow, Challenging Strikes)
Level 6: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge)
Level 8: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Conviction (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Crushing Wave (Disruptive Force, Challenging Strikes)
Level 17: Molecular Self-Assembly
Level 20: Uppercut (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 26: Redirected Force (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 29: Resurgence (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 35: Unbreakable
Level 38: Rebirth

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Heroic Flight (Rank 2)
Level 35: Athletics

Specializations:
Endurance: Readiness (3/3)
Endurance: Kickback (2/2)
Endurance: Power Overwhelming (3/3)
Endurance: Hardened (2/2)
Sentry: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Sentry: Precise (3/3)
Sentry: Sentry Aura (3/3)
Sentry: Reinforce (1/2)
Arbiter: Arbiter Aura (3/3)
Arbiter: Rend (2/2)
Arbiter: Honor (2/2)
Arbiter: Concussion (3/3)
Mastery: Endurance Mastery (1/1)
_______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by c3rvand0 on

Comments

• Options
    flowcytoflowcyto Posts: 12,753 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Well, to start I'd swap ur SS setup around to CON/Int/Pres- Con PSS for knock resist scaling from Con, and Int cause ur using MSA as the EU (also for more CD reduction), Pres for healing and AoRP. Alternative is CON/Dex/Pres, less energy from MSA, but better crits/dps and some synergy w/ Adren Rush and Deflection.

After that, what sort of theme do you have for this toon other than being a support-tank? You seem to have some Might attacks and a Force attack in there, but I can't really nail anything down. What you picked isn't very efficient in itself (Roomsweeper being disruptive to enemy placement, Crushing Wave not being that great an AoE in terms of reach, taking Redirect Force when you will be too busy attacking and building up threat, Uppercut not being great as a single target attack w/o Enrage, and ur CC attack is on a cd).

Instead of Redirect Force, I'd suggest Sigils of Radiant Sanct or Ebon Weakness- they buff_debuff w/o you having to sit there and channel, and will scale from ur Pres. I'd also recommend Reverence instead of R3 for Conviction- so you can heal everyone close to you each time you use the ability. I'd also go w/ a ranged end builder and rank up the block power. Would also trade Arbiter spec for Warden (Elusive, Best Defense), Protector (Bulwark, Defense Expertise), or Vindicator (Aggressive Stance, Ruthless), and use Constitution or Protector mastery.

Ya may also want to consider changing ur toggle to Compassion (better energy, healing, and dmg that way)- if you do, then Sentinel Aura in the Sentinel spec tree becomes a very nice option (and Sentinel mastery if you get a stun attack like Thunderclap).
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
    - Be safe and have fun, champs - for science!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    Well, to start I'd swap ur SS setup around to CON/Int/Pres- Con PSS for knock resist scaling from Con, and Int cause ur using MSA as the EU (also for more CD reduction), Pres for healing and AoRP. Alternative is CON/Dex/Pres, less energy from MSA, but better crits/dps and some synergy w/ Adren Rush and Deflection.

After that, what sort of theme do you have for this toon other than being a support-tank? You seem to have some Might attacks and a Force attack in there, but I can't really nail anything down. What you picked isn't very efficient in itself (Roomsweeper being disruptive to enemy placement, Crushing Wave not being that great an AoE in terms of reach, taking Redirect Force when you will be too busy attacking and building up threat, Uppercut not being great as a single target attack w/o Enrage, and ur CC attack is on a cd).

Instead of Redirect Force, I'd suggest Sigils of Radiant Sanct or Ebon Weakness- they buff_debuff w/o you having to sit there and channel, and will scale from ur Pres. I'd also recommend Reverence instead of R3 for Conviction- so you can heal everyone close to you each time you use the ability. I'd also go w/ a ranged end builder and rank up the block power. Would also trade Arbiter spec for Warden (Elusive, Best Defense), Protector (Bulwark, Defense Expertise), or Vindicator (Aggressive Stance, Ruthless), and use Constitution or Protector mastery.

Ya may also want to consider changing ur toggle to Compassion (better energy, healing, and dmg that way)- if you do, then Sentinel Aura in the Sentinel spec tree becomes a very nice option (and Sentinel mastery if you get a stun attack like Thunderclap).

Thanks for your advice. His theme is he is strong, powered by a extra dimensional force, which leaves open a lot of options. However, to be true to his name, he must provide extra defence and protect those around him. I don't want to use sigils, as they are too magical, although I don't mind him using other 'magical' powers that are less overtly so. Your suggestions for SS choices make sense, in fact his current build is closer to your advice, with CON as his primary. The switch to END was for energy management, as I really want to take IDF as his form, ruling out compassion.

With some of your points in mind, I have created the following build. Note it is not a retcon build, so for now he would take force snap instead of Energy Storm. I have taken demolish, instead of Haymaker or Uppercut as he doesn't need knockbacks and the debuff would help vs bosses.

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero
    Level 6: Healthy Mind
    Level 9: Shrug It Off
    Level 12: Diplomatic
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Body and Mind
    Level 21: Impressive Physique

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 6: Energy Storm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Mighty Leap (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 11: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Thunderclap (Rank 2, Collateral Damage, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 17: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 26: Aggressor
    Level 32: Unbreakable
    Level 35: Rebirth
    Level 38: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Sentry Mastery (1/1)
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Its looking better, imo. The one issue that really stands out to me is Energy Storm. Energy Storm is.. well not really that good in general.

If you wanted something practical and effective as ur primary/filler attack, esp since you can't get Tank role's threat boost as a Hybrid (w/o Protector's Bulwark), one of ur best bets would be Defense Combo w/ CC attached (then you can get rid of CC on the lunge). It fills multiple roles here: very high threat, decent & cheap dmg (for a combo), gives ya Defiance (energy and damage resist), and the last hit has a small aoe/cleave component (which can give >1 Defiance per target hit, and ya can keep the stacks rolling by refreshing them w/ DC- even when its just down to you and a boss). Plus, its Crushing dmg, so it goes well w/ Demolish and the BtB debuff (which you should take over rank 3 then).

There are 3 ways to put DC in the build that work w/ the tier restrictions: sticking w/ Clobber as the end builder to unlock DC early (not ideal, but w/ a lunge a melee end builder still works- it just won't be as convenient sometimes), go the Compassion route and use Eldritch Bolts + AoRP + Compassion as the first powers, or use Wield Earth + Land Slide + Stone Shroud if you wanted to keep a Brick theme and a ranged end builder.

I would also prob replace Aggressor w/ Ego Surge + Nimble Mind (the most practical choice) or Ascension (not as effective, but has a heal component and possibly is more in-theme).

The optimist in me would also drop Rebirth for an open slot, but as a tank I dunno how often you think you may die (or what content you plan on doing), since recovery packs can accomplish the same thing if its infrequent enough.
    <CO stuff> .: Petco :. // A basic FF building guide (see 1st reply) // PSA on Power Activation Delay // Ayonachan's Gift Horse (misc stat data)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    A big thanks, you have helped me loads, I can't begin to say how grateful I am. Hopefully I am nearly there this time. I chose to take IDF rather than compassion as this is critical to my concept. Thus I went the might route. I am unsure as to rank DC to R2 or take the other advantage, Surge of Strength. In the end I went for extra damage, as being a tank he will be hit a lot so defiance will stack quickly. With DC in mind, I took Warden mastery instead, as this would increase its damage, although Sentry mastery is probably better thematically, unsure which would be better here. Finally I took Imbue instead or rebirth, although I did consider sonic device for the stun.

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Hero
    Level 6: Healthy Mind
    Level 9: Shrug It Off
    Level 12: Diplomatic
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Body and Mind
    Level 21: Impressive Physique

Powers:
    Level 1: Clobber
    Level 1: Defensive Combo (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Mighty Leap
    Level 8: Aura of Radiant Protection (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Thunderclap (Rank 2, Collateral Damage, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 14: Demolish (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 26: Conviction (Rank 2, Reverence)
    Level 32: Ego Surge (Nimble Mind)
    Level 35: Unbreakable
    Level 38: Imbue

Travel Powers:

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Quick Healing (3/3)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Warden Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    np man, happy to help.

Warden mastery is good if you use a combo primarily, as that 10% dmg boost is final/multiplicative and DR-free, afaik. Some of the other masteries are good too- the only ones I'd avoid out of the fitting spec choices are Vindicator's, Brawler's, or Guardian's.

You can treat the power slot taken by Imbue as a wild card of sorts. If you find an ability you'd like to try out later, you can just pick it for that slot after you've already bought adv points for everything else- makes re-training just that ability cheaper.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    flowcyto wrote: »
    np man, happy to help.

Warden mastery is good if you use a combo primarily, as that 10% dmg boost is final/multiplicative and DR-free, afaik. Some of the other masteries are good too- the only ones I'd avoid out of the fitting spec choices are Vindicator's, Brawler's, or Guardian's.

You can treat the power slot taken by Imbue as a wild card of sorts. If you find an ability you'd like to try out later, you can just pick it for that slot after you've already bought adv points for everything else- makes re-training just that ability cheaper.

Thanks again. I will keep the last slot open and fill it based on my leveling experience. I suspect extra damage would be useful, but I will see.