What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Record of Robot Rex The Cowboy

kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Fan Base Alpha
Howdy, pardner

Mah name’s Rex. Robot Rex The Cowboy.

Ah’m from Snake Gulch. You might’ve guessed that. Ah reckon mah accent gives me away—that, and the whole bein’ a robot thing.

Ah ‘spect you know all about how that mechanical horny toad Mechanon and his Preachers took over and turned mah home into a deathtrap for any human or hero brave enough to walk into town. Sure put a stop to th’ tourism, Ah gotta tell you.

Now Ah was just a regular Cowboy Robot when all this went down. Sister Sata herself saw to mah reprogramming, and Ah reckon if things had gone ‘nother way Ah’d still be there tryn’ to make any human Ah saw do the leadfoot dance …

But somethin’ happened to me that no one—not even Mechanon himself, Ah bet—could have expected.

When Sata was done with her programmin’, Ah wasn’t the same robot Ah had been—but Ah wasn’t filled with hatred for humans neither.

There were still a few tourists left in town when Sata was done with me, and Ah did mah best to get them outta town before the Hangmen could string them up or that crazy DOS could blow them sky-high. Ah got them out in one piece …

Ah wasn’t so lucky.

Ah don’t know how long Ah was … gone … before Mr. Harmon himself rebuilt me. He put my AI Chip in a new body, made me stronger an’ tougher than Ah had ever been. Ah wanted to go back to Snake Gulch and make things better, but Mr. Harmon said Ah to prove mahself. He didn’t want Mechanon to get his hands on mah improvements in case Ah wasn’t up to snuff.

Ah could have just have hightailed it back to Snake Gulch anyway, but disrespectin’ Mr. Harmon after all he’d done for me just seemed … wrong. So Ah helped out in Millennium City against that two bit Jasper Kevin Poe and then helped out with some big trouble at Project Greenskin and in Canada before Ah helped Miss Witchcraft deal with her ornery sister Talisman over at Burnside. (Hard to believe a lady as sweet as Miss Witchcraft could be related to that … Ah’m too much of a gentleman to call her what she is … Talisman.) Once Ah handled that hornswoggler Leech Ah got the all clear from Miss Witchcraft to go back home and see what Ah could do there to help.

At first, it felt good to be home. Mr. Donaldson had gotten out of town in time, and he had Belle Steele and the other ‘bots who hadn’t been converted by Mechanon’s Preachers hole up in her saloon till the coast was clear. Ah had always been sweet on Belle … shoot, just about all of us fellas were. She barely knew Ah functioned …

Mr. Donaldson … he treated me like he had never seen me before. Ah don’t mean he was mean, but Ah didn’t get the kind of welcome Ah was expectin’. Ah was just another hero to him now; someone to help try to figure out what went wrong with his town …

There were a few hikers who needed help, and Ah did my best to make sure they were all right … did you know that those Viper fellas like nothing better than to pretend to be innocent hikers in order to lure a fella into a trap? That just don’t seem fair to me … it’d be like me wearing a black hat and pretendin’ to be a bad guy just to get the drop on someone …

Ah had to plug some of mah fellow Snake Gulchers to save the humans. Ah gotta admit that it hurt … at least Ah think that’s what you humans call it when your innards feel all twisted up inside ‘cause you gotta do somethin’ you don’t wanna.

But a ‘bot’s gotta do what a bot’s gotta do …

That sick feelin’ inside didn’t go away when Ah took parts of mah friends to Mr. Donaldson so he could try to figure out what Mechanon did to them and how to fix it, but Ah did what Ah was asked to do. Ah told myself that if they were in their right minds, mah friends wouldn’t want to go on hurtin’ folks, but Ah still felt dirty doin’ it …

And Mr. Donaldson didn’t seem to care at all …

And then Ah had to take down Sheriff Robo …

Ah had always respected Robo and his Deputies. They were there to make Snake Gulch safe. He was a straight shooter, great with human children, and he’d give you the last drop of oil from his chassis if you needed it.

Now … now he was nothin’ more than a killin’ machine.

So Ah did unto him as he’d been doing unto others, and Old Robo won’t be making anyone dance anymore …

Ah went to Belle’s place after that. Sister SATA was there too, having grown tired of preachin’ the destruction of all organic life. Ah talked to her a little bit, and then Ah went to see Belle herself. Now Ah won’t lie … Ah had been half-hopin’ that Belle’d remember me and …

She didn’t.

She didn’t even seem to realize Ah was a robot.

Ah don’t sleep, but Ah’d had a dream ever since Mr. Harmon woke me up. Ah dreamed that Ah could clean up Snake Gulch and make it safe for humans to visit again. Ah could bring back mah old friends, mah old life. Ah could turn back the clock …

But Ah can’t.

Even Mr. Donaldson can’t do that.

Maybe someday Ah’ll be able to help throw those Viper varmints out and toss Mechanon’s preachers into the pokey. Maybe someday Ah’ll even find a way to restore mah friends to what they had been …

But it’ll never be mah home ever again.

Ah ain’t like Mechanon’s posse, but Ah’m also not an ordinary Snake Gulcher anymore. Ah think … different than they do …

Even Belle …

Snake Gulch ain’t mah home … not any more. Ah don’t belong there. Not now.

Maybe there’s no place someone like me belongs in this world.

But Ah’m still Robot Rex The Cowboy. Ah wear the White Hat, and Ah do what’s right. Ah keep innocent folks safe and Ah punish those what deserve it. That’s the Code of the West.

Ah’m a hero.

Ah’m a Champion.

And someday Ah’m gonna make Mechanon pay for what he did…

Comments