test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Gravitar and Drop Rates 2014

sciroccostormsciroccostorm Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Missions and Content
Hello all. I've seen this thread open once before, but based on its age, I wanted to try to get an update. I have run Gravitar 300 times. In that time, nothing has dropped. Absolutely nothing. I have seen things drop around me. Two of my sg teammates got drops: 1, on his third try ever; another, on his fourth try ever.

I have been on teams where we defeated her quick and cold; I have been on teams where i have had to die once and be rezzed in order to put her down; I have been on teams where we face planted entirely. None of it seemed to matter vs. drop rate.

I have been in as a tank build, and retconned to a melee build. Nothing.

I have had players tell me that drop rate is based on damage done, which is startling, in that how would a support character (healer, bubbler) ever stand a chance at a costume drop?

I have been told that it is totally, entirely random, and that it is possible to play that mission a thousand times, a million times, and never ever get anything, which makes for a fascinating business model in trying to keep players.

I cannot phrase the question right to CO to get a straight answer, because they do not disclose their game mechanics or % chance of this or that. They pointed me here.

:confused:

While I enjoy the questionite, and have met some great people in that mission, I'd just like to know, once and for all...

1. Is it possible for every archetype to get a costume drop from Gravitar?

2. Does amount of damage done by character affect her drop rate, or is it truly random?

3. Is it theoretically possible that a player would NEVER get a drop, while a player beside them gets drops every other mission, based on 'random number generation'?

Just once before I die, I'd like to see that big glowing exclamation point, just to know it's possible.

Grateful for your insights.
Post edited by sciroccostorm on

Comments

• Options
    quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There are already some changes related to this on PTS. Well, maybe not Gravitar-specific costume drops; I'm not sure about that. But Rampage alerts are being reworked, including rewards, queueing, and rotation.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    in my 301st run, a teammate Shadowman got a drop. i still have nothing. that is all for now. :frown:
  • Options
    highrealityhighreality Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Drop rate is linked by some cryptic math to the damage you do, or so I seem to have gathered.

(°∇° ) #megalodon2015
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The RNG gods are very finicky in whom they choose... I've ran Gravitar enough times to get her boots, and then settled for buying the rest from the AH instead :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Of the about 10 "Stylish Haute Couture" unlocks that dropped for me, all of them either dropped on a dps build, or when using a tank and ending up soloing most of the fight. But never got one after dying, also the boots an gloves were very rare drops for me on runs when I did die.

I think on average I got one every 500 or 1000 runs or so.
  • Options
    wimpazoidwimpazoid Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    DPS related. I usually get one when I run my DPS builds and hold aggro throughout the fight.
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only time I've ever gotten a costume drop from Grav was the fight I spent mostly dead or blocking. I thought it was funny since I know I couldn't have contributed that much.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,457 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe been in 100 or so. I think I've had 3-4 costume drops. Sorry, can't remember which types of toons these were on.

A friend using a Solider AT with sniper rifle and hiding in the rubble to avoid death got a drop once and I'm sure he's only done it 20-25 times.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,116 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2014
    I believe it's random. Done the alert hundreds of times and never noticed any type of role getting more drops than another. Gloves and boots and extremely common, necklace is a bit rarer and the chestpiece is quite rare to drop.
  • Options
    avianosavianos Posts: 6,051 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    DPS has nothing to do with the Drop Rate

I got Costumes and the so precious Haute Couture while playing with Support and Tank toons as well!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,603 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The costume drop rate being related to DPS or even healing is a complete farse.

The run where the stripper outfit dropped for me was one where players were exploiting interrupt spam. Not a single point of damage was dealt by her the whole run. I was on my healer and I pretty much didn't do anything. It still dropped for me.
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    If it makes you feel any better I did close to 1000 runs of Gravitar over the span of over a year (starting when On Alert was released) before I got my Haute Coutere drop. So yeah, the drop rate chance is just really low and if you're unlucky you could theoretically never get it as long as you play the game.

RNG is just really sucky sometimes :-S
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I am really terribly grateful for your replies. Having some type of empirical data that makes it seem that it's truly, utterly random is very helpful. I have been so utterly discouraged, seeing other people get drops and having the gloves and boots referred to as 'common', while nothing happened for me. I didn't know whether to try to retcon, or if that mattered. You've all been very kind. I welcome any and all fact-based data. Thanks for being members of a supportive community for new players.
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Drop rates seems random, I have only E-builder as my main character's attack (YES Healer) but I get something good sometime. DPS isn't so important.

I do 3-6 Gravitar each day in several builds and I get a drop of boots and gloves about once in a week.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    and so, after THREE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE TRIES, an exclamation point appeared over Gravitar's head tonight. Stylish leather pumps? don't mind if i do! thank you all VERY much for your data and insights. it really helped. :biggrin:
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Grats.

/10cahrs
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    and thank you, sterga. your response to my post was very valuable in helping me keep going vs. tying the drop rate to dps. :smile:
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    so, three runs later, i get another drop. nothing for 385 tries, then 2 in the next 4 passes. *smh*

then, the last guy on the sg goes in, and gets his first drop within his first half dozen runs. so, of my 4 man sg:

guy 1 - third run
    guy 2 - fourth run
    guy 3 - sixth run
    me - three hundred and eighty sixth run.

truly a random universe. :wink: