test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Day at the Mall: good alert, bad boss selection

guyhumualguyhumual Posts: 2,395 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
Now I'd like to talk about a certain encounter I had yesterday with one of the fan designed villains, but I can't discuss that thread as there's already a locked thread about that that's already had posts in the last 30 days, so I'm unable to talk about it there and I can't start a new one for 30 days. Good forum rules BTW. Very helpful.

Anyways, here's the old thread Here.

Now, while I wait 30 days so I can talk about something that happened yesterday let me just say this: I like every villain used in day at the mall with the exception of one. I'd prefer if they only had Vibora bay centric villains but I'm not ultra fussy, I do however like villains that can be defeated by a random group of five players at the level that the alert is gated for. In this case level 10s. I feel at least one certain villain doesn't meet that criteria.
Post edited by guyhumual on

Comments

• Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    10-20-2013, 08:52 PM > 30 days ago and
    Put plainly, the rule is that if a thread hasn't been posted to for over 30 days, it's considered outdated, and you should start a new thread if you want to keep discussing or adding to that topic.

What you're not allowed to do is post to a thread that hasn't been posted to in over 30 days, or create a new thread discussing the same topic if there's already another, non-outdated thread discussing the same topic.

So no, there's no rules about burying bugs or problems, just a rule to keep all info current. So I'm going to lock this thread, and you can go ahead and start a new one.

So as he said, you are free to start a new one. Less melodramatics would be nice.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From reading the initial post, I have no idea what it is we're supposed to be discussing here... other than something about 30 days.

However, I can assure you that any Grab villian is defeatable by any random group of players. I always pug grabs, and have done so with characters at a variety of levels, and have never encountered a boss that has been consistently unbeatable. I feel the need to mention: I do not use min/max'd characters, I use theme characters that most min/maxers would agree are terrible.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    From reading the initial post, I have no idea what it is we're supposed to be discussing here... other than something about 30 days.

Ao'Igiveup.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    10-20-2013, 08:52 PM > 30 days ago and

So as he said, you are free to start a new one. Less melodramatics would be nice.

What he's advised me to do is break the forum rules as doing as he suggest would violate: "Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)"

Now please don't try to derail the thread. Let's talk about Day at the Mall and the villain selection please.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    guyhumual wrote: »
    What he's advised me to do is break the forum rules as doing as he suggest would violate: "Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)"

Now please don't try to derail the thread. Let's talk about Day at the Mall and the villain selection please.

Your thread was derailed from post 1. By you. This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to criticize a forum moderator, and you're not fooling anyone.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    It sucks I know, you really need to follow the link through the rabbit hole to see the old thread.

However, I can assure you that any Grab villian is defeatable by any random group of players. I always pug grabs, and have done so with characters at a variety of levels, and have never encountered a boss that has been consistently unbeatable. I feel the need to mention: I do not use min/max'd characters, I use theme characters that most min/maxers would agree are terrible.
    I tend to disagree as I don't think a random team of level 10s would be able to handle someone like Ao'Qephoth. Many other villain sure but there's something wrong with that guy's passive. He needs to either be fixed or removed from the rotation.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited January 2014
    You mean Ao'IcantEvenCareToRememberHisNameHesAMrIGotABrokenPassive?

Just skip this alert. *shrug* I've heard he's liked by dev's, so he's very unlikely to be fixed.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Your thread was derailed from post 1. By you. This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to criticize a forum moderator, and you're not fooling anyone.

What I want to talk about is something that happened yesterday, but because I can't post in old threads, and by the forum rules I can't start another one about this particular villain, I'm stuck talking about Day at the Mall and the villain selection. Thankfully this gives me the room to talk about Ao'Qephoth as he is one of the villains in Day at the Mall.

I would also like to state that I'm not looking to criticize any of the moderators. The rules yes. They make it very, very hard to discuss anything or keep track of anything if we need to do a search and then start a new thread when we're talking about persistent problems with the game. Why should I have to look through a dozen Ao'Qephoth threads to find a post that's relevant to me if I could just add to the discussion?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Just skip this alert. *shrug* I've heard he's liked by dev's, so he's very unlikely to be fixed.
    Well if he's not likely to be fixed could we at least remove him from Burst and Grab alerts?
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Since he's liked by devs, here's another one to avoid, like Gravitar.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I quickly just skimmed over the first post and I was like 'what, 30 days? huh?'

So then I then I noticed foxi posted this and before reading it thought 'oh foxi may have a sarcastic comment that will make it easier to understand...'

Apparently, I was wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I tend to disagree as I don't think a random team of level 10s would be able to handle someone like Ao'Qephoth. Many other villain sure but there's something wrong with that guy's passive. He needs to either be fixed or removed from the rotation.

Groups consisting entirely of level 10s aren't the norm. If we balance alerts around a team of lvl 10s, then it's going to become laughable for the average pug group.

My advice is to either not que at level 10, for the express purpose of avoiding a group that is entirely composed of level 10s. OR if you must que, press O and if you see only level 10s in the group, exit and re-que.

Or just do some missions for the brief few minutes that Ao is in the que.

The problem you're having is not one that is being universally had, which would indicate that the boss is not broken.
    What I want to talk about is something that happened yesterday, but because I can't post in old threads, and by the forum rules I can't start another one about this particular villain, I'm stuck talking about Day at the Mall and the villain selection. Thankfully this gives me the room to talk about Ao'Qephoth as he is one of the villains in Day at the Mall.

That's not what Biff told you at all. He in fact encouraged you to open a new thread about the topic. Hell, he practically ordered you to.
    Well if he's not likely to be fixed could we at least remove him from Burst and Grab alerts?

No, because there are players who like facing him in Grabs, and he's beatable in Radiation Rumble. Hell, I bet there's even someone who's beaten him in Pyramid Power.

Fact is Ao Pyramid Power is such a rare occurance, that it's hardly worth complaining about.

Complaining about Ao in Grab is just... silly.
  • Options
    wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Groups consisting entirely of level 10s aren't the norm. If we balance alerts around a team of lvl 10s, then it's going to become laughable for the average pug group.

My advice is to either not que at level 10, for the express purpose of avoiding a group that is entirely composed of level 10s. OR if you must que, press O and if you see only level 10s in the group, exit and re-que.

Or just do some missions for the brief few minutes that Ao is in the que.

The problem you're having is not one that is being universally had, which would indicate that the boss is not broken.

The problem is not universal since players might be packing Skarn's Bane and/or a Trauma-inflicting move. Which is essentially the only way to beat Ao.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    The problem is not universal since players might be packing Skarn's Bane and/or a Trauma-inflicting move. Which is essentially the only way to beat Ao.

Wrong again! People keep telling you that you're wrong about this... when you gonna listen? You don't need skarn's bane, you don't need trauma. You don't even need a particularly well built dps character. You just need to know how to block and how to move.
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited January 2014

For crying out loud. Nobody advised or otherwise told you to break any forum rules. You're entire line of reasoning here is that because the now-closed thread contains posts less than 30 days old that you can't discuss any of the points that were made there. I can't even begin to describe how really freaking dumb that is.

That said, Ao'omgwtfbbq can be a tough customer but he's been beaten numerous times in PuGs that lack the "required" debuffs. His self healing can, and has, overwhelmed incoming dps before and will continue to do so as long as the group's DPS output isn't at a certain level.

In other words, bring your A('o) game and expect the group to be bad when you queue.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    That's not what Biff told you at all. He in fact encouraged you to open a new thread about the topic. Hell, he practically ordered you to.
    Again, not to get off topic, but what he told me to do was against the rules. I'm sure he had good intentions, and I like him a lot as a moderator, but I'm not going to break the rules twice within 24 hours no matter how ridiculous I find them.
    No, because there are players who like facing him in Grabs, and he's beatable in Radiation Rumble. Hell, I bet there's even someone who's beaten him in Pyramid Power.

Fact is Ao Pyramid Power is such a rare occurance, that it's hardly worth complaining about.

Complaining about Ao in Grab is just... silly.
    Here's the thing though, I sometimes play in short bursts, and that might mean I got 10 minutes to play. The other day I log in and Ao'Qephoth is sitting there in two alerts: the burst and the grab. Now what I could have done is just turned off CO instead of playing as by the time the Alerts cycled I'd probably have been out of time anyways, but rather I queued for the grab as I'd never had a problem with Ao'Qephoth in a grab before. Also I should add that I like Day at the Mall, it's nice and short, and I like the way Vibora Bay looks if not the missions you get there. Now to my surprise the mission pops and we blow through the first half. We did have one death (which might have been a clue, but I managed to agro everything else, and my toon can take a beating) but till we hit Ao we were looking good. 4 minutes later and I'm running out of time and we haven't made a dent in him. Well we'd made dents but they were quickly patched up.

I would have liked to have had the grab xp bonus, the toon is level 39 and the sooner I get her to level 40 the sooner I can get a new character slot, but what you're saying is to bad, so sad, a few people like Ao so let's leave him in Bursts and Grabs because everyone can wait for the alerts to cycle.
  • Options
    purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would have liked to have had the grab xp bonus, the toon is level 39 and the sooner I get her to level 40 the sooner I can get a new character slot, but what you're saying is to bad, so sad, a few people like Ao so let's leave him in Bursts and Grabs because everyone can wait for the alerts to cycle.

In short, yes. This scenario should not happen very often. I find myself hoping for a queue with Ao to pop up, and I don't think he's in the rotation enough for my tastes.

There was a saying that I took a liking to from my Dark Souls PvP days. "Git gud." I don't mean to insult anyone that think Ao is too tough, but he goes down like any other alert boss a majority of the time. The rare times I'm in a group with low DPS, I just need to actually incorporate thought and tactics into gameplay - something I really enjoy doing and I wish I needed to do more often outside of PvP in this game.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    For crying out loud. Nobody advised or otherwise told you to break any forum rules. You're entire line of reasoning here is that because the now-closed thread contains posts less than 30 days old that you can't discuss any of the points that were made there. I can't even begin to describe how really freaking dumb that is.
    What the rules state that I can't go about "Creating Duplicate Threads (A Duplicate Thread is defined as a thread which discusses the same topic as another thread, which has had a new post within the last 30 days.)"

My last post in that thread was today before it was locked. I can't continue the discussion there and I can't start a new one for 30 days. That's how the rules are worded. Maybe you can show me where the exception is but having a moderator say I can start a new thread doesn't give me protection against infractions. Perhaps my posts in my old thread might be overlooked but I'm not going to risk breaking forum rules again no matter how much I wanted to talk about Ao.
    That said, Ao'omgwtfbbq can be a tough customer but he's been beaten numerous times in PuGs that lack the "required" debuffs. His self healing can, and has, overwhelmed incoming dps before and will continue to do so as long as the group's DPS output isn't at a certain level.

In other words, bring your A('o) game and expect the group to be bad when you queue.
    I'm not doubting that he can be beaten, I've had success with him in the past, and I only PUG. What I'm doubting is that he's a good villain selection for Grab or Burst Alerts. Smash I don't care about, those are the level 40s, if anyone can handle Ao'Qephoth they can. Also, further more, those are timed missions, there's an actual way to fail besides give up.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Now I'd like to talk about a certain encounter I had yesterday with one of the fan designed villains, but I can't discuss that thread as there's already a locked thread about that that's already had posts in the last 30 days, so I'm unable to talk about it there and I can't start a new one for 30 days. Good forum rules BTW. Very helpful.

Umm, aren't you the person who necroed that other thread, creating the, "posts in the last 30 days," situation ?

Even so that thread is locked and so not open for ongoing discussion and so, as indicated by a moderator, you are free to start this new thread.

Ao can be a pain. I've seen randoms defeat it. I've seen premades fail to beat it. I don't think that a single foe that requires some very basic degree of team coordination and/or build consideration to defeat is a bad thing.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    purin1 wrote: »
    In short, yes. This scenario should not happen very often. I find myself hoping for a queue with Ao to pop up, and I don't think he's in the rotation enough for my tastes.

There was a saying that I took a liking to from my Dark Souls PvP days. "Git gud." I don't mean to insult anyone that think Ao is too tough, but he goes down like any other alert boss a majority of the time. The rare times I'm in a group with low DPS, I just need to actually incorporate thought and tactics into gameplay - something I really enjoy doing and I wish I needed to do more often outside of PvP in this game.
    I'm willing to bet that he does go down the majority of the time. from my own experiences I've only had to give up on him 3 times and I'm sure I've queued for him many more times then that. But those 3 times I couldn't beat him were really terrible experiences. Something just felt wrong. We had all 5 players and we couldn't seem to hurt him. That to me is a bad gaming experience. It honestly wasn't the sort of feeling where you're fighting for your life, I didn't really feel any threat from him, he was just there, trying to hurt me and the 5 of us were pounding on him, unable to hurt him. I had players who'd obviously never experience this guy before taking the time to type "What are we supposed to do?", and all I could say to them (in all caps because he was still attacking me and I was blocking) "SORRY BUT I DON"T THINK YOU GUYS ARE HIGH ENOUGH LEVEL TO HURT HIM"

"So should we just give up?" another asked

"YEA, I GUESS" I answered.

Then one left, maybe an experience gamer, another went to the power house. And I watched the other two wander around sadly for a bit before I decided to shut the game down.

Good times.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Umm, aren't you the person who necroed that other thread, creating the, "posts in the last 30 days," situation ?

Even so that thread is locked and so not open for ongoing discussion and so, as indicated by a moderator, you are free to start this new thread.
    I hate to keep talking about this, I think the rules as written are silly, but they don't make any allowances for ongoing discussion. There was a thread about the topic I wanted to discuss, it had posts in it within the last 30 days, and so I can't start a new one. Yes I am the author of my problems, seems as though I've created a paradox and could very likely suffer infraction points for unknowingly violating forum rules, but I'm not going to violate another by starting a new thread above the old one.
    Ao can be a pain. I've seen randoms defeat it. I've seen premades fail to beat it. I don't think that a single foe that requires some very basic degree of team coordination and/or build consideration to defeat is a bad thing.
    Difficulty isn't a bad thing. I like it. I like gravitar. I don't always beat gravitar but I get the feeling of challenge with her. The same can't be said about Ao. Sometimes he's fine, a challenge, but other times his self regeneration from his darkness passive is far too much.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The same can't be said about Ao. Sometimes he's fine, a challenge, but other times his self regeneration from his darkness passive is far too much.

Yeah in my experience this particular villain is very binary. Either a win, or a not even a scratch on him.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Difficulty isn't a bad thing. I like it. I like gravitar. I don't always beat gravitar but I get the feeling of challenge with her. The same can't be said about Ao.
    Sometimes he's fine, a challenge, but other times his self regeneration from his darkness passive is far too much.

You're contradicting yourself.
    I'm willing to bet that he does go down the majority of the time. from my own experiences I've only had to give up on him 3 times and I'm sure I've queued for him many more times then that. But those 3 times I couldn't beat him were really terrible experiences. Something just felt wrong. We had all 5 players and we couldn't seem to hurt him. That to me is a bad gaming experience.

And again.

So sometimes you beat him... sometimes you don't. What's the problem?

Failing is a "bad gaming experience"? Then why was Dark Souls so popular?

You failed. Move on. They shouldn't have to change the game just because you want guaranteed success during the 10 minutes a day that you play.

And yes I know that there are some people who can only have fun when they're winning; as a pvper, I meet them far too often.

Let me guess... now you're going to claim that beating the fight has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »

Skarn's Bane and Trauma makes it much quicker to beat Ao, but they are not compulsory to have to actually beat him. There just needs to be a certain level of DPS output from the team to overcome his healing. Unfortunately this means that a team of just lowbies without any attack buffs face the best chance of failure. Players also must also know to anticipate his soul drains and to block them. That's really just it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You're contradicting yourself.

I don't think you've been listening to me. I said he's broken. SOMETIMES his passive seems to be in over drive and he heals far more then he should. If his passive behaved that way all the time then I could assume that he's acting as he's designed. Do you understand me now?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah in my experience this particular villain is very binary. Either a win, or a not even a scratch on him.

This is why I think he's broken. Sometimes he's a hard fight, but he's beatable, other times his passive heals way more then I figure it should. This isn't a case of sometimes losing to him, this is a case of sometime not even being able to hurt him.
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is why I think he's broken. Sometimes he's a hard fight, but he's beatable, other times his passive heals way more then I figure it should. This isn't a case of sometimes losing to him, this is a case of sometime not even being able to hurt him.

Have you considered that maybe not all random alert PUGs you're placed in will automatically be equal to each other in terms of overall DPS?
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ao shares the same problem that Nocturne had, and that darkness nemesis have. Their darkness passive is bugged, which causes them to heal more then they should. Yes you can overcome this bug with straight dps, but it is extremely rare to find a pug able to do that, otherwise you need a specific set up which isn't congruent to a system designed for pugs.

A challenge that is meant to be a challenge is one thing, but a challenge that was created artificially by a bug that requires a specific set of circumstances to overcome is another.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    devour essence- block and move out of range,
    ranged drain - break line of sight. walls, trees, etc

any pets out, he feeds off them too.
    I've had groups fail with everyone about 30.
    The people would just attacking while he was targeting them and he quite happily healed himself, despite people yelling TO BLOCK

People with dinos out, get aggro and he drains them.

other pets, same
    success
    people block as soon as he targets them and stay blocking till he targets someone else.

everyone carpet bombs him.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited January 2014

6a00d8341caaef53ef011571c80438970b-pi

A direct hit!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Guys, stay on topic please. The Ao'Qephoth side of it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    devour essence- block and move out of range,
    ranged drain - break line of sight. walls, trees, etc

any pets out, he feeds off them too.
    I've had groups fail with everyone about 30.
    The people would just attacking while he was targeting them and he quite happily healed himself, despite people yelling TO BLOCK

People with dinos out, get aggro and he drains them.

other pets, same
    success
    people block as soon as he targets them and stay blocking till he targets someone else.

everyone carpet bombs him.
    I would put more credence to this advise if he weren't healing more then we could damage him without the life drains. Most of the time this is good advise, however three times now I've fought him and we couldn't make a noticeable difference when he wasn't draining. His passive was healing more then we could deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I would put more credence to this advise if he weren't healing more then we could damage him without the life drains. Most of the time this is good advise, however three times now I've fought him and we couldn't make a noticeable difference when he wasn't draining. His passive was healing more then we could deal.

I fought him several times today and yesterday. He went down. I guess I'm just lucky. I'll let you know if I run into your bug though.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I fought him several times today and yesterday. He went down. I guess I'm just lucky. I'll let you know if I run into your bug though.
    Thank you. And I'm not sure how prevalent it is but I suspect that I'm just really unlucky as I don't queue him very often.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So I just ended up in an Ao'Qephoth Grab that we actually failed! So I thought "Sweet, I ran into the bug that guy was talking about". So I turned on enemy healing floaters and closely monitored Ao's healing.

Sadly, still no bug. I closely monitored how much Ao'Qephoth was healing himself, and there was nothing unusual about it. He heals ~4k hp every ~4 seconds so long as he's dealing damage to someone (as expected of Shadow Form), occasionally critting for more than that (it's very uncommon, he clearly has a low crit chance).

The group simply wasn't able to put out enough damage to counter his 1000 healing per second. Not surprising for my character which is a fairly low damage telepathy tank, and I had aggro so I spent a lot of time blocking and outranging his life drain. I didn't catch the levels of everyone involved, but ultimately what matters is that it wasn't due to Ao being broken, it was just the group couldn't put out enough damage.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that while you can Line Of Sight his Life Drain, it will still count as you being damaged by him for purposes of the Shadow Form's 4k per 4 seconds heal, so the best option is to get out of range since that interrupts it.

So there's no bug, it's just one of those encounters that requires a certain level of damage output. Namely, a combined party dps of 1,000 dps minimum, in addition to blocking and running out of range of life drains (both Drain Life and Devour Essence).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    So there's no bug, it's just one of those encounters that requires a certain level of damage output. Namely, a combined party dps of 1,000 dps minimum, in addition to blocking and running out of range of life drains (both Drain Life and Devour Essence).

Thanks for the feedback, I have to wonder about that concussion though, my tank usually hits in the 450 range but often crits into the 1500, so if we assumed that I had a very bad sting of bad luck, which isn't impossible, it would mean that the other four players would only need to supply 550 between them.

I should ask though, is this 1000 you calculate every second or every tick?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the feedback, I have to wonder about that concussion though, my tank usually hits in the 450 range but often crits into the 1500, so if we assumed that I had a very bad sting of bad luck, which isn't impossible, it would mean that the other four players would only need to supply 550 between them.

I should ask though, is this 1000 you calculate every second or every tick?

That is based on the fact that he healed ~4000 every ~4seconds. Since I just counted out the seconds, I could be off up or down. It's technically already over 1000 by a variable amount, depending on how often he crits. If I'm off by a whole second, it shoots up to 1333 dps minimum.
    gradii wrote: »
    Ao's Devour essence heals him fully through block. this cannot be intended.

It's short range, so melee just has to pay attention to his animations and gtfo when he starts it. Yes, this means melee will have to spend a lot of time jumping out of their attack range, and it also means that melee tanks have a lot more to pay attention to when tanking this fight. No secret that the game hasn't been very melee friendly lately though.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    gradii wrote:
    Ao's Devour essence heals him fully through block. this cannot be intended.
    It's short range, so melee just has to pay attention to his animations and gtfo when he starts it. Yes, this means melee will have to spend a lot of time jumping out of their attack range, and it also means that melee tanks have a lot more to pay attention to when tanking this fight. No secret that the game hasn't been very melee friendly lately though.
    See this is something that really ticks me off, it might have been this that I didn't notice in my last fight, as I was playing a melee tank and was faithfully blocking the drains. Basically you're saying he heals though the blocks so not only do you need massive damage to counter his passives, but you need need either a ranged tank or a melee tank with good mobility. My melee tank had super jump and unranked acrobatics so no quick escapes for me in day at the mall . . . and that's even if I'd known that blocking Ao's attacks don't stop his heals.

I'd say that this is worse then my suspicions that shadow form was healing more then it should. It means that a basic fundamental game mechanic isn't working.

Also, I'd like to thank you again for looking into this spinnytop, I don't think we can agree on what should be done about Ao' but I do appreciate you crunching some numbers for us.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Anyways, here's the old thread Here.

Now, while I wait 30 days so I can talk about something that happened yesterday let me just say this: I like every villain used in day at the mall with the exception of one. I'd prefer if they only had Vibora bay centric villains but I'm not ultra fussy, I do however like villains that can be defeated by a random group of five players at the level that the alert is gated for. In this case level 10s. I feel at least one certain villain doesn't meet that criteria.

I see the Ao'Q day at the mall as little bit more tricky version for higher levels. We dont want them all being cakewalks.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nepht wrote: »
    I see the Ao'Q day at the mall as little bit more tricky version for higher levels. We dont want them all being cakewalks.
    Works for me. I'll leave the Ao'wtf Alerts as exercises for the high-level Freeforms, then. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Works for me. I'll leave the Ao'wtf Alerts as exercises for the high-level Freeforms, then. :smile:

I'll admit i like seeing them when 'm on my main, a freeform level 40 with skarns bane. I know from the forums and from bad days that he can be a pain, So its kind of a "bring the kryptonite" thing for me.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm willing to bet that he does go down the majority of the time. from my own experiences I've only had to give up on him 3 times and I'm sure I've queued for him many more times then that. But those 3 times I couldn't beat him were really terrible experiences. Something just felt wrong. We had all 5 players and we couldn't seem to hurt him. That to me is a bad gaming experience. It honestly wasn't the sort of feeling where you're fighting for your life, I didn't really feel any threat from him, he was just there, trying to hurt me and the 5 of us were pounding on him, unable to hurt him. I had players who'd obviously never experience this guy before taking the time to type "What are we supposed to do?", and all I could say to them (in all caps because he was still attacking me and I was blocking) "SORRY BUT I DON"T THINK YOU GUYS ARE HIGH ENOUGH LEVEL TO HURT HIM"

"So should we just give up?" another asked

"YEA, I GUESS" I answered.

Then one left, maybe an experience gamer, another went to the power house. And I watched the other two wander around sadly for a bit before I decided to shut the game down.

Good times.

There's your problem right there for one what you should have said is any time you see him pull his heal moves block and don't stop blocking (if you have more time explain that only the person targeted need do this)

Also thanks to screwy lvl scaling you may well find those low levels are kicking out the same if not more than there lvl 30 team mates.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just did some more searching, he has the shadowform bug that Nocturnal use to have. This part of the Darkness passive is causing him to heal for more then it should. That is why removing his darkness passive works.

I'm still trying to find the dev post that acknowledges it, but there are a lot of archived topics, and I don't think all of the posts from the old forum made it over.
  • Options
    taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    draogn wrote: »
    Just did some more searching, he has the shadowform bug that Nocturnal use to have. This part of the Darkness passive is causing him to heal for more then it should. That is why removing his darkness passive works.

I'm still trying to find the dev post that acknowledges it, but there are a lot of archived topics, and I don't think all of the posts from the old forum made it over.

Its not really a bug if I remember correctly shadow for heals for a percentage of total max HP on a player its not all that much but on a high lvl villain it can heal for a few thousand HP
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's your problem right there for one what you should have said is any time you see him pull his heal moves block and don't stop blocking (if you have more time explain that only the person targeted need do this)
    However, according to some of the earlier posts in this thread, that doesn't work - it seems his heal move works right through blocking. So that's not a lot of help, as it turns out.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Blocking Ao's Life Drain will stop the healing from that power. His Devour Essence heals him through your blocking so you have to move out of range. He's honestly one of my favorite fights right now because it he's not just a big sack of HP.
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    However, according to some of the earlier posts in this thread, that doesn't work - it seems his heal move works right through blocking. So that's not a lot of help, as it turns out.

Yeah, that's why running out of range is the best strategy. It's one of those weird fights that requires the use of the S key :o
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, that's why running out of range is the best strategy. It's one of those weird fights that requires the use of the S key :o
    You need to move with Gravitar as well, and as I said I don't mind Gravitar, but she does have bunch of unique powers not existing powers that don't work as they should. I also don't care for Rakshasa for this exact same reason. I want villains to follow the same rules we do. If they're higher level with more hit points dealing higher damage that's fine, if they have existing powers that don't function they way they do for us then I get upset.

There is nothing in the game that warns you that Ao' is for higher levels or DPSers only, or warns you that he can heal himself though the blocks, and so I really feel he's a determent to the game in Bursts and Grabs.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Its not really a bug if I remember correctly shadow for heals for a percentage of total max HP on a player its not all that much but on a high lvl villain it can heal for a few thousand HP

Around the time Nocturnal was put into the game the shadowform bug was acknowledge, I can't find that dev post though and the dev tracker hasn't worked since, well I don't remember the last time it was used for anything.

This would be a good point for one of our CMs to acknowledge if it is or is not a bug at this point though.