test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

State of the Game Lite Maybe?

kaosarcannakaosarcanna Posts: 124 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Champions Online Discussion
I have really appreciated the things that Cryptic North has done for the game this year. Bug fixes. Some new costumes, auras, etc.

That being said, could we possibly have something akin to a State of the Game post discussing some of the things that Cryptic is hoping to do this year? Even if it's just continued to bug fixes, some new outfits ... maybe some new vehicles or becomes? (Transforming Robot-vehicles. You KNOW you'd make a fortune on those!) :D

I think the response to Radio Science's (hope I remembered the handle right; apologies if I didn't) post in 2013 shows that a little bit of Dev presence in the forums goes a long way, so something along the lines of "We're here. We're working on stuff we hope you'll like" would be a big boost to game morale IMO.

Just wanted to toss out the request. :D
Post edited by kaosarcanna on

Comments

• xrazamaxxrazamax Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Seconded!

If those other MMOs get one, so should we!
  • aldraganaldragan Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here is the current state of the game for myself and many others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaGSmiAA78s

I pray this gets fixed soon...

The lagged animations are mildly amusing at least.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    SoTG was canned because people were assuming that what was listed WAS going to happen , not might. They then started complaining if something didn't turn up.
    We still have people complai9ning about things in the last Until feild report not being done yet.

as was stated in the post about it,all it does is give unrealistic expectations of what will be done. Ignoring any change in circumstances.
    If you want to see what they are currently working on, check out the PTS thread.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    State of the Game Lite 2014:
    -We're doing stuff.
    -We're fixing old stuff.
    *Does not include Nemesis Creator.
    -No Foundry.
    Stay tuned for 'State of the Game Lite 2015'.

And good thing that UNTIL Field Reports was canned.
    Why even write stuff that obviously isn't going to happen.
    moustache.gif
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm sure they have some kind of plans for 2014 and I agree with the OP that they should share some of them, even if they do so without a lot of specificity.

Right now there's nothing pending on PTS, except for perhaps a couple of new auras. The only pending projects that we've seen on PTS in the past that we might expect would be the fire & ice rampage alert and Justice gear.

Players are more likely to invest in the game (i.e. buy Zen) if they believe in its future.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    Players are more likely to invest in the game (i.e. buy Zen) if they believe in its future.

Doesn't matter what Cryptic does or says, people will be turned away as soon as they hear other players say "They have blown so much smoke up our back end's before that we are flying higher than Colorado on the fumes", or something similar.
  • twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    CN: "What we have planned..."

C/PWE: "No money for that now, do something else."

Players: "Wharrgarble"
    twg042370 wrote: »
    CN: "What we have planned..."

C/PWE: "No money for that now, do something else."

Players: "Wharrgarble"
    beautifully put.
    hunt through Super news Feb/mar last year for Ask Cryptic, Ask Cryptic Answers.

note the amount of questions,

what questions got answered
    then note the answers
    maybe, we'll think about it, that sounds interesting, no, no,we're looking into again,
    this is the most they were allowed to do

Vehicles- probably since they are usually a main reward in lockboxes.
    Costumes- probably- same reason
    bug fixes- probably since the Bug Splat crew is still taking lists.
    plus they are still trying to work out the Rampage alert

They still haven't finished auras yet.
    They are still working on ones for the Z store that people are after, like the flaming eyes
    Some were supposed to be in game drops(against getting up expectations, due to a blog about them)

• zomdzomd Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I had to replace my computer recently and thought about coming back, but new content seems non-existant. Seeing new costume sets and auras actually gives me a bit of hope, but after playing Neverwinter, I think I'd much rather see a CO2 reboot using what they've learned to make a better F2P game.

The only problem is it'd probably end up greatly restricting the power selection/variety in the process (plus the added risk of splitting the player base, upsetting people who spent money on costume packs, etc in CO and all of that).

But it seems like CO will continue to wither on the vine so to speak anyway.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Nepht's State of the Game.

Be glad its not Maple Story!
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    State of the Game: We are currently recovering from the Christmas Holidays!
    nepht wrote: »

THE HORROR!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zomd wrote: »
    I had to replace my computer recently and thought about coming back, but new content seems non-existant. Seeing new costume sets and auras actually gives me a bit of hope, but after playing Neverwinter, I think I'd much rather see a CO2 reboot using what they've learned to make a better F2P game.

The only problem is it'd probably end up greatly restricting the power selection/variety in the process (plus the added risk of splitting the player base, upsetting people who spent money on costume packs, etc in CO and all of that).

But it seems like CO will continue to wither on the vine so to speak anyway.

But after playing Neverwinter, I hope Cryptic North has better ideas/implimentations than Cryptic does....since the majority of NW is "Sword and Sorcery Star Trek Online." :wink:

...course at least that shows a sharing of ideas and mechanics from one Cryptic Game to another. We could benefit from "some" of the things the other two games have that we do not here at CO but then there are others which would not fit in here IMO.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    nepht wrote: »

avianos wrote: »
    State of the Game: We are currently recovering from the Christmas Holidays!

THE HORROR!

speak for yourself, I just started back at work after 2 weeks off.

39 celcius and a large tin shed. And a large collection of errors.... I'm going to go splat things.

• lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    crosschan wrote: »
    But after playing Neverwinter, I hope Cryptic North has better ideas/implimentations than Cryptic does....since the majority of NW is "Sword and Sorcery Star Trek Online." :wink:

...course at least that shows a sharing of ideas and mechanics from one Cryptic Game to another. We could benefit from "some" of the things the other two games have that we do not here at CO but then there are others which would not fit in here IMO.

Some of the music from NW ported to CO might get me to turn off my media player. LFG functions (in a scenario where they actually matter) and ui to support it. STO and NW seem to share quite a bit (most noticeablt the aforementioned in game music during certain missions), it'd be nice if they included us.
  • cyronecyrone Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chaelk wrote: »
    speak for yourself, I just started back at work after 2 weeks off.

39 celcius and a large tin shed. And a large collection of errors.... I'm going to go splat things.

Nice and toasty. Would like to have some of that weather
    download_zpsfcg5gnud.jpg
    "There is only one way to support a PFF tank: Send Cyrone lots of money weekly... because he's the only one to successfully be a true PFF Tank." - chuckwolf
  • zomdzomd Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    crosschan wrote: »

I played STO a little bit during beta, so I didn't know they took so much from that game.

What are some of the things that could benefit CO in your opinion?
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You want a State of the Game?

Easy. Just go down to the PTR section of the forums, and check the patch notes for the latest PTR build. There's your State of the Game, a wide open and crystal clear window that shows you exactly what they're working on right now.

All the old SotG posts were good for was making us feel like we're waiting forever, and then making us feel disappointed when stuff doesn't show up as soon as we wanted it to. For some reason, many people view it as some sort of betrayal of their trust when the game company can't come through on something they said they would try... those people are the reason that not having SotGs is a good idea.

There wasn't actually anything positive about the SotG. Whatever hype it generated quickly turned into sour salty forum complaining when it wasn't in our hands RIGHT NOW I WANT IT NOW GIMME GIMME NOW (and then when it did end up in our hands... we complained that it was rushed.)
  • joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You want a State of the Game?

Easy. Just go down to the PTR section of the forums, and check the patch notes for the latest PTR build. There's your State of the Game, a wide open and crystal clear window that shows you exactly what they're working on right now.

All the old SotG posts were good for was making us feel like we're waiting forever, and then making us feel disappointed when stuff doesn't show up as soon as we wanted it to. For some reason, many people view it as some sort of betrayal of their trust when the game company can't come through on something they said they would try... those people are the reason that not having SotGs is a good idea.

There wasn't actually anything positive about the SotG. Whatever hype it generated quickly turned into sour salty forum complaining when it wasn't in our hands RIGHT NOW I WANT IT NOW GIMME GIMME NOW (and then when it did end up in our hands... we complained that it was rushed.)

Don't all MMOs have players who see a SotG and start complaining about why isnt it here now?
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    zomd wrote: »
    I played STO a little bit during beta, so I didn't know they took so much from that game.

What are some of the things that could benefit CO in your opinion?

Ok, might as well lump this into one laundry/wish list in the hypothetical scenario where your new X-Pirate Overlords(Cryptic North) go on a looting spree and visit our neighbors.

-Assignment System: Aka Crafting. Note: Some of this comes from NW also.
    --Specific assignments that are available upon events and/or that their completion grants you access to new missions.
    --Timer set assignments(do something in an hour or 10 somethings in x hours) vs. the old click...watch bar...click.... MMO Crafting style.
    --Either NW's Minion System or STO's Duty Officer System. The former is simpler and the latter is more complex because each minion is basically a person with their own traits and such. Honestly, I don't know which of the two systems would fit this game best or if a 3rd variant would need to be made for CO but...but...they haz crafting.

-STO Exchange/NW Auction House: Both systems blow the crap we have clean out of the water, no contest(imo). The downside, again Imo, is that the NW version runs on Astral Diamonds(Questionite).
    --Along with this, I just felt it needed to be mentioned, there would need to be some work done on correcting the multiple miss-classifications of items in CO. There are entirely too many "Blue" items which are so dirt common you can't give them away to newbies.

-The Foundry V2(Current NW Version): There are threads on this subject so I'm going to just say,"Yeah, this would be nice."

-Bridge Officers/Companions: IMO, the complexity of both of the current systems is a bit much more than I would wish to see in CO. I'd just like to see the Sidekicks upgraded to Companions and let players optionally slot ONE which has a few modable gear slots. I see no need for the "multiple active slots"(but an inactive storage tab could be handy) or the bonus points to your toon depending on which one you choose.
    --I also don't think it's too much to ask that we be able to take these buggers to the Tailor like you can with STO's Bridge Officers.
    --BTW, these would be perm BoA Items. MUCH cheaper versions with a timer could be sold for people to "test drive" but the real deal has no such limitations.

-NW Mounts: No I don't want unicorns and horses and crap(although those could come later if player demand was high enough). All I'm saying is I see alot of people riding alot of GROUND transports. I think, in 2014, it's time to go from,"We don't currently have the technology to make ground vehicles" to "We MADE the technology to make ground vehicles. Please praise us with moolah."<wallets open>

-STO Episodic/Season Content: Instead of temp mini-MEGA-Events let's graduate to something with TEETH and IMPACT. Storyline, perks, lore, actions that change the face of the game put together in mission arcs with new rewards, incentives, and segways into....

-STO/NW Campaign Zones: Medium sized zones which are sometimes section locked by progress on a "Campaign System." Campaign Zones(like New Romulus and Dyson Sphere in STO and Feywild and Dread Ring in NW) privide dailies which earn you currencies with which to perform tasks that allow you to not only progress through the zone towards larger story points but also gain you access to Reputation/Boon/Alternate Advancement Systems which are small-ish trees(like 5 stages per zone) where you can(for the 1st 4) pick between option A or Option B to add simple bonuses and abilities to your toon. Stage 5 is usually either more choices of a unique nature(like healing items +10% and such) or one choice that is noticably stronger than the previous 4(like a proc ability your toon always has once selected). Campaign Zones not only add real estate, storyline, perm content, lore, perks, new gear, and new items(which can be obtained via tasks with the aforementioned currencies at the correct tier) but a means by which to improve your existing heroes without foolishly(IMO) raising the level cap and further trivializing the content we already have in this game.

-STO Colleseum Mission vs. Forum Malvanum: STO has a mission where you end up in a form of gladiatorial game and the announcer has a short-ish cutscene and then he talks during the fight, therefore cutting out some of the horrors of sitting through the Forum Malvanum Cutscenes.

-STO Cutscene Skipping: Once upon a time(before Whiteout Episode 2) this was possible in some places and now it's not. I say it's time to get back to this system. When 5 people have all pushed Esc then it's time to get on with it already(1 person if solo).

-NW Mini Events: Fun little weekend events(like Waukeen) where you have a weekend to just kill mobs in the game like normal that drop boxes(don't look at me like that). The boxes open for FREE and have a chance to give stuff like 10kQ, RARE(Blue/Purple) Crafting Stuff, Costume Unlocks, Sidekicks(see above), and Event Cores(Cores that are a split of 2 previous cores and drop in 1-3 for normal mobs and 4-6 for the boxes or if there are any OM Style Sections). Now before someone complains about 1-3 mods keep in mind that these weekend "nothing is happening so let's just flip this switch) events are the only way to get these and with DRs in the game it is worth it(at least in NW) to rank them up. Honestly, you would be shocked how much fun these are for how simple they are.

-STO/NW Marketing and Promos: Gaming Websites that give out keys(like the CO Froob Devastator AT from Alienware) for unlocks, titles, and usually some "junk consumables" to pad out the package. Some promos would give you an "ok" vehicle or sidekick. If nothing else these are fun for the players and get the name out there so people know the game is still around. Heck, some vets might notice this "Cryptic North" thing got some advertising to happen and come back because of that just to see if it's a fluke...and then the next one hits and it's like,"Hey, stuff is happening! Why didn't I know stuff was happening. I sure do now."

Ok,I could likely do this for much longer than I have and I suspect some people who play the other Cryptic Games have their own additions to make so I'll cut this short for the moment and let others chime in on the subject. My main point here is the joke I've made before(even in this post somewhat). Cryptic North is made up of X-Pirates. it's about time they did some looting and plundering. Our neighbors have nice things that, with a coat of paint and some tweeking, would look nice here. :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg