test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trap mini powerset

mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Suggestions Box
I have no idea if this has ever been posted but this is something I believe CO is currently missing. I mean we have mini mines and partical mine and technically the sigils too but they are all for damage and frankly don't do that very well. Anyhow I still am using mini mines and partical mine as they fit my theme rather well.

What I'd like to see however is something like a bear trap that roots and has an advantage to add bleeding to it. It could maybe even remove TP, I would love a trap that would leave someone or something vulnerable like that primed for explosives or a hunter to fire at them with a bow or gun. You could have it around the same recharge as partical mine's is currently.

You could also have a mine that when an enemy goes over it smoke comes out and they have a perception debuff put onto them as well as various other debuffs that could be caused by such a thing.

Of course some sort of stun / hold trap may work fairly well too.

Just a random idea that I know may fit a few different cool themes as well as give the game some tactics if someone uses a trapper build they could booby trap an area and wait for some poor villain to walk past.

Too be honest making this mini powerset all about debuffing and controlling it may be a viable option for the sort of player that wants to fulfil this role.
Post edited by mrhinkypunk on

Comments

• Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    NPCs don't walk around though... you would literally have to throw your traps at them :/

Nah just kidding, it could be fun to set up some traps, aggro a group of NPCs, then lead them into the traps.

The traps would have to be reeeeeaaaally effective though, to make up for the fact that the player could have just spent all that setup time running in and spamming aoes instead.
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    spinnytop wrote: »
    NPCs don't walk around though... you would literally have to throw your traps at them :/

Nah just kidding, it could be fun to set up some traps, aggro a group of NPCs, then lead them into the traps.

The traps would have to be reeeeeaaaally effective though, to make up for the fact that the player could have just spent all that setup time running in and spamming aoes instead.

Well pretty much half the mobs use melee attacks so will always run to you, then on the ranged ones you could plant them in a door way and pull a bunch over to your booby trapped door. :D

I agree they would have to be good enough to make it worth while. If they made the bear trap put bleeding on it could make a good combo with something like reapers embrace though. I suppose that isn't really enough for you not to just run in using epidemic.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well pretty much half the mobs use melee attacks so will always run to you, then on the ranged ones you could plant them in a door way and pull a bunch over to your booby trapped door. :D

That, and how a good deal of open-world mobs do pace back and forth in patrol.

To add in a few ideas to this:
    Caltrops (Gadgeteer) - Scatters a 20 foot radius of caltrops in front of you. When targets move through the caltrops, they will be snared and take piercing damage every half second. The faster they move through the caltrops, the more frequent ticks will occur, and while individual ticks are weak, they can trigger up to 10 times per second if a target rushes through them or is deliberately dragged through. Use abilities like Grappling Gun pull or Tractor Beam to maximize the pain!
    Remote Mine (Munitions) - A summon power with two phases (not unlike Energy Storm). First use lays down an explosive on the ground as a stylized landmine with a light on top. Over time, this mine gains extra power, with the red light on top steadily flashing faster and faster, until it becomes a solid green after 6 seconds, at which point it's at maximum strength.
    True to its name, activating the power after laying down a mine causes it to explode, as well as activating its recharge.
    Advantage: Plasticity. The mine becomes a sticky plastic explosive, and the first enemy who walks over it in melee range has the mine stick to them, causing the explosion to happen at their location. However, this does make the mine a bit fragile, and if the enemy it's attached to dies, the mine falls to pieces.
    Firewall - A strange power with a 5 second cooldown and very high energy cost. Firewall summons a column of fire at your current location, which constantly repels enemies away from it. If a Firewall column is within 50 feet of another, it will fire a vertical stream of flames to the other, creating a consistent cylinder of fire damage that racks up very fast, and snares any targets in the way. A timed 'buff' on the column keeps track of how old the wall segment is, and only older wall segments can fire at newer ones. Each segment lasts for about 30 seconds.
    There is a minimum distance to this - Placing firewall columns within 15 feet of one another will cause both to explode in very high fire damage and knockback, and put the ability on a 30 second cooldown.
    Grease Arrow - Fires an arrow with a blunt head full of grease. This works very similar to Strafing Run, and the grease can be laid down anywhere within 100 feet of you. Enemies on top of the grease consistently get knocked down, and they do not gain any sort of resistance to knock from it, either.
    Targets who slip on the grease become weak to fire damage. To add to this, any enemy or ally who takes fire damage while on the grease will cause it to erupt in a burst of fire damage and leave a fire patch. Pairs nicely with Explosive Arrow.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    purin1purin1 Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Gimme the Bear Trap with bleeding please.
    I strive to be the strongest swordsman alive.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree they would have to be good enough to make it worth while. If they made the bear trap put bleeding on it could make a good combo with something like reapers embrace though. I suppose that isn't really enough for you not to just run in using epidemic.

Feh, applying a bleed :| sounds lame!

Traps should have a heavy crowd control element to them, as well as a decent radius of effect. Sorry but, bear traps just won't cut it u3u

Here's some ideas! :D

GENERAL TRAP MECHANICS
    Targeting: All traps are dropped at the user's feet.

Activation: All traps have short activation times, but then have a "Fuse Timer", which is a breif period of time after activation that they will have no effect. This timer will be short, like 1 or 2 secons.

SONIC TRAP

Effects: 15 radius trap that repeatedly STUNS targets in its area of effect. The trap STUNS 3 times in a row, once per second; Targets within a 5 radius are stunned for 3 seconds, targets within a 10 radius are stunned for 2 seconds, targets within 15 radius are stunned for 1 second; trap deals a small amount of SONIC DAMAGE with each stun.

CONCUSSIVE TRAP

Effects: Trap that KNOCKS UP targets within a 5 radius (knock strength is equal to a fully charged Dragon Uppercut, maybe even more), and KNOCKS BACK targets within a 10 radius (knock strength of Force Eruption). All targets are then SNARED for a short duration. Trap deals a small amount of CRUSHING DAMAGE when knocking tragets.

RUBBER TENTACLE TRAP (lol)

Effects: Trap that ROOTS all targets within a 5 radius, and SNARES all targets within a 10 radius. Targets within a 15 radius have a chance to be KNOCKED TO the center of the trap. The effects of this trap continue to pulse once per second for 5 seconds.

FRAGMENTATION TRAP

Effects: Trap generates a flame patch that lasts for a fairly long duration. Trap deals continuous aoe fire damage once per second for 10 seconds. Targets within 5 radius take damage equivelant to "Conflagration w/Fireball Debuff". Targets within 10 radius take damage equivelant to Pyre spam. Targets hit with initial damage pulse also recieve a stack of BLEEDING (special advantage to make it multiple stacks of bleeding). Targets hit with any damage pulse recieve CLINGING FLAMES.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.