test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Presence-based tanking approaches?

williamkonywilliamkony Posts: 582 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Power Discussion
What kinds of Presence-based (and, subsequently, NOT Constitution-based) approaches to tanking are there? Things utilizing Compassion, heals, damage reduction, etc. without just having massive amounts of HP?

I've got a couple ideas, but I'd like to hear what other people have to say without me "tainting" the waters with my own thoughts.

Basically, if I can determine a way to tank with Presence instead of Constitution, I can stop "competing" with my friend for Constitution mods. X) It would let us both equip our characters to be their best without stepping on each others' toes.

It'd be wonderful to be able to keep myself alive in PvP situations such as Zombie Apocalypse, as well, but I'm aware that's probably way, way beyond the realm of possibility.
Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
Post edited by williamkony on

Comments

• Options
    raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just a rough idea...

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Presence Tank

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Dexterity (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Radiant
    Level 6: Intimidating
    Level 9: Finesse
    Level 12: Diplomatic
    Level 15: Coordinated
    Level 18: Agile
    Level 21: Brilliant

Powers:
    Level 1: Radiance
    Level 1: Celestial Conduit
    Level 6: Illumination (Brilliance)
    Level 8: Regeneration (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Resurgence
    Level 14: Compassion
    Level 17: Conviction
    Level 20: Ascension
    Level 23: Devour Essence (Crippling Challenge)
    Level 26: Protection Field
    Level 29: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
    Level 35:
    Level 38:

Travel Powers:
    Level 6:
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Presence: Repurpose (3/3)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Presence: Vulnerability (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)

Assuming that Regen is affected by Pre's Bonus Healing you could make what could possibly be the most durable Regen tank ever...

I've left a lot of the build open to interpretation... the Secondaires and talents are only suggestions and you could use any ones you'd rather take in their stead...

Devour Essence as your CC power with high Pre could make you near impossible to pull aggro off of....

Illumination with Brilliance applied to your target will help reinforce your high Regen, and with Pre the healing from it will be greatly improved... this will also generate some additional threat from Healer Aggro on your part.

IDF, Protection Field, and Force Sheathe to provide some damage reduction and energy return from incoming attacks...

Most everything else is entirely up to you... though I would recommend Celestial Powers... due to their dual nature... having high Pre you can use them as heals when needed or combat...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png
  • Options
    stopmeezagenstopmeezagen Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Used a presence healtank, but that was before specializations so dunno if this would still work, psi - sorcery
    Was something with sprites drawing agro, cast protective stones whats the name again, ebon ? The tank circle and spam empathic healing and shields.
    Went straight for the base commander in serpent lantern on elite while the glass cannon was with me killed everything, worked like a charm.
    Of course for pvp, not very usefull, other then being indestructible :P
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    raighn wrote: »
    Assuming that Regen is affected by Pre's Bonus Healing you could make what could possibly be the most durable Regen tank ever...

It is not.

Regen scales with total superstats and Rank, and its internal mechanics based on various combat states. It does not scale with Bonus Healing from any source.

I wonder if you could Hybrid Tank with Seraphim. Even with the bonus healing from Seraphim and Compassion (assuming you take it), your heal ticks will be smaller than Regen's base, and far lower than the max regen rate, but coupled with other sources of healing, it could probably compare.
    You'd probably want Con in such a build though. It would have to be a pretty active build, and without Con, you'd have little margin for error. You could maybe drop Con with a sufficiently high Def.
    edited December 2013
    Hm... On the opposite side of the spectrum, what kind of healing works for a pure-Constitution/mostly-Constitution character? Do PvP-ers seriously just wait around for Resurgence? It's such a long cooldown. :(

Sorry for once again giving one of my question threads whiplash with the sudden and severe topic changes.
    Dasher@Tool-box, donning his armor to prance into battle and blitz the enemy! No joke!
    Cupid@Tool-box, stunningly radiant stag ready to play matchmaker between villain and arrow!
    Vixon@Tool-box, frighteningly eager to summon despair for his adversaries!
    Jebin Zedalu@Tool-box, elementalist weaponmaster. ...One of these things is not like the others!
  • Options
    superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    A PRE tank without CON can take advantage of PFF that grants you a Defensive passive that does not rely on CON.

Then you can take Compassion that boosts PFF (by a small amount) and scales off PRE.

My PRE tank based on PFF is reported below. Note that it runs in Hybrid role for damage/bonus heal that helps the shields and boosts threat using the Protector Spec tree.

The sentinel tree is for the Sentinel Aura that gives you 8 stacks of Compassion in no time without using any additional power.

The powers can be shuffled around obviously since the core of the build is PRE+PFF+Compassion+FSurge+Protector.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Sun Titan

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Presence (Primary)
    Level 10: Recovery (Secondary)
    Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Disciple
    Level 6: Survival Training
    Level 9: Martial Training
    Level 12: Sniper Training
    Level 15: Command Training
    Level 18: Showmanship
    Level 21: Wordly

Powers:
    Level 1: Force Bolts
    Level 1: Rebuke (Rank 2, Crippling Challenge)
    Level 6: Compassion
    Level 8: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Force Shield (Rank 2, Force Sheathe)
    Level 14: Field Surge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 17: Ego Surge
    Level 20: Mindful Reinforcement (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Skarn's Bane (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 26: Energy Wave (Rank 2, Reverse Polarity)
    Level 29: Masterful Dodge
    Level 32: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Overdrive
    Level 38: Illumination

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Power Flight (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
    Presence: Selfless Ally (2/2)
    Presence: Grandeur (3/3)
    Presence: Moment of Glory (3/3)
    Presence: Force of Will (2/2)
    Sentinel: Caregiver (3/3)
    Sentinel: Sentinel Aura (3/3)
    Sentinel: Moment of Need (2/3)
    Sentinel: Genesis (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Debilitating Challenge (2/2)
    Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (1/3)
    Mastery: Protector Mastery (1/1)

• Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, PFF is probably one of the best choices for a no-Con tank.
    Hm... On the opposite side of the spectrum, what kind of healing works for a pure-Constitution/mostly-Constitution character? Do PvP-ers seriously just wait around for Resurgence? It's such a long cooldown. :(

Conviction. With decent +Healing R3 Conviction can heal a LOT, and it's a base 6s recharge, so it's up whenever you need it. Cost reduction is your friend if you're leaning on the Conviction button frequently though; with a base cost of 50, it can eat your Energy bar pretty fast.