test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Real-World heroes thread

cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Off Topic
I am using this thread for people to reference real-world heroes. Something positive, because let's face it- I expect Batman to save the day. But when a normal, everyday person does something awesome? That's heroic to me.

This is all I expect:

Some heroes referenced my be military, past and present. Please do not think this is an open door to politics, or nation-slamming (After all, I'm as American as John Wayne punching Osama Bin Laden at the Super Bowl, one of my favorite heroes is from Finland- and no, it's not the Flying one). I am of the belief that most people who serve their respective country do so with absolute selflessness and for the love of their people, which has nothing to do with politicians. What is important is that these people as individuals are showcased and respected for what they did.

Today, it's this story. I'll copy/paste from the article and add to it.
RIDGEWATER, Mass. - Even the most stoic person might shed a tear at the goodness found in a group of boys.

After the group of fifth-grade football players from Massachusetts found out their 6-year-old water boy was being teased for his attire and speech, they played great defense and showed him their support.

As ABC affiliate WCVB reports , Danny is a first-grader in Bridgewater, Mass.

He has a small speech impediment developed after a brain hemorrhage he had shortly after he was born.

And he's the fiercely loved water boy for the fifth-grade football team.

His fifth-grade teammates found out other kids were picking on Danny for wearing a tie and jacket -- and for his speech impediment.

Instead of lashing out, though, the boys decided to use their football skills to good use and planned a great defense.

Watch the video [in the link] for a smile you won't be able to get rid of all day.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/national/danny-6-year-old-teased-band-of-elementary-schoolmates-rally-around-boy-to-stop-teasing

I gotta admit, that little video in the link got to me: and I wake up every morning and start fistfights with gorillas, poop with the door open, and chase my whiskey with diesel. You may not believe this, but before I became this pinnacle of manliness that I am today, I was picked on when I was small because I had big ears (my head grew into them, now they're small. I'm practically some kind of mutant)- so this kind of thing means something to me. This here is an example of what heroes are supposed to do- look out for the little guy. Sure, it was a small gesture. Nobody got punched in the face, except that gorilla because I got so pumped up about this manly gesture of badassery I had to hit something.

On a more serious note, this is how we stop bullying- by reaching out and saying 'hey, this guy's cool. This thing you mess with him about? So what? It's now officially so cool, it's ice cold and it's colder than a pimp's heart'. Everyone needs to understand that nearly everyone on this planet is somehow really cool in their own way (except Carrot Top). If you reach out to someone and get to know them- sure, they might not be 'your kind of guy', but my old man always had a saying: "There's more reasons for two men to have a cold beer and laugh than there are for them to have a fight."
Post edited by cybersoldier1981 on

Comments