test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Beatdown, Blindside Blow advantage?

superalfgornsuperalfgorn Posts: 558 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Power Discussion
How does this advantage work exactly?

The Wiki says:

Blindside Blow (3 Advantage Points) Causes your Beatdown attack to deal 50% additional damage to snared or rooted enemies. + 50% damage bonus (Only damage buff, not base damage increase)

So what is exactly the damage increase for this power?

Post edited by superalfgorn on

Comments

• flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's an additive bonus to the damage's output.

That means that if you have other +Damage, such as +100% from an Offensive Passive, +40% from Strength, and +40% from your combined Superstats, all the damage bonuses are added together to get a total of +230%, which is then applied to your base damage.
    If the base damage were 100, it would do 330 instead.

If the buff were to base damage, the hypothetical 100 damage would be increased to 150, then increased by the +180% buff, for a final result of 420.

Buffs to base damage are rare, because they are VERY powerful.
    Ok ty! I was confused by the wording.

Si in essence it exposes the power to DR... Then maybe rank3 is better?

• agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It's an additive bonus to the damage's output.

Correct.

Default Damage = Power and Level only
    Base Damage = Default Damage plus the Power's Rank (R1, R2, or R3)
    Total Damage = Base Damage adding in all additive buffs (your role, your advantages, etc.), except now for Offense because that has been changed recently from additive to multiplicative.
    Critical Damage = Total Damage plus Critical Severity

Also note that freeforms have a "soft cap" (aka. diminishing returns) on their total damage for what additive bonuses do, whereas archetypes do not seem to at all (meaning you can keep throwing in additive bonuses to get more damage, such as VIPER Rampage serum). This seems counter-intuitive (something that discourages being freeform), and it's something that irks me quite a bit to be honest.
    Buffs to base damage are rare, because they are VERY powerful.

They aren't rare, but you only get a finite number of them based on advantage points, upgrading a base damage rank for a power costs 2 advantage points. Additionally you cannot apply more than 5 advantage points to a single power (although sometimes I really wish this limitation on 5 max was removed, it would really help out Quarry users since this dodge nerf patch for example).
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ah, yes, I wasn't thinking of the bonus from ranking up powers. Outside that, they aren't very common though.