test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make CO more silver player friendly

2»

Comments

• aetam1aetam1 Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Has the new generation of gamer become so stupid that they can't work these things out for them selves because I cant remember hundreds of people having these kinds of issues when champions first launched.

If you need to spend 2 hours researching the systems to play champions with a free form a would question how the person even managed to install the game in the first place.

Just look what games do these days. In diablo 3 you have unlock something in the menu otherwise you can't really customize you character. In GW2 the weapon you choose locks half you skills. Take a 2h sword you get the 5 2h sword powers. Your other 5 slots are also quite limited. Everyone has exactly one heal slot.

I absolutely hate such limitations, which is why I like CO. But I have to admit that such things make it easier for new players. I also have to admit if you are new to gaming you will do a lot worse than a person you hast 10+ years experience.
    Further it is not like you can simply respec for free any time you want. Removing powers gets quite expensive.

These days there are so many free to play games around and everyone has a pc. People will try something if it looks interesting and leave if it seems overly complicated. It is important to offer them an easy start and some quick fun, once they are interested you can hit them with the more complicated things.

My stomach is clear and my mind is full of bacon!
  • beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    was that before or after 2GM became the guns of god. if it was pre there buff then yea I can see how your damage could have been lack lustre still following pulsewaves build should have resulted in a playable build possible not great at PvP mind you as that's a separate kettle of fish

2GM was buffed a while after On-Alert came out, so that must have been before that.

And else, only because somebody postet a build that hasn't to be good for everyone else.

Personally, since i started with before we even had ATs i wouldn't play the game if i'm forced to use ATs.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • wrathsoul1wrathsoul1 Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    2GM was buffed a while after On-Alert came out, so that must have been before that.

And else, only because somebody postet a build that hasn't to be good for everyone else.

Personally, since i started with before we even had ATs i wouldn't play the game if i'm forced to use ATs.

Also, for more icing to the cake, most MMOs that I played are class-based.
    edited November 2013
    wrathsoul1 wrote: »
    Also, for more icing to the cake, most MMOs that I played are class-based.

All other MMOs i played have also much more content and get regulary content update.

Freeform and the Costume Editor are the only 2 things that make CO outstanding.
    R607qMf.jpg
    edited November 2013
    So maybe a little more info how I would like the game to look like for new players:

So we have a new player. He probably saw one of the superheroes movies lately and thinks playing one would be cool. So he stumbles upon champions online. Free to play, so why not give it a try?
    So first time starting the game, select your class. He can see all the archetypes, he sees the locked freeform and he can see limited freeform, unlocks when you reach lvl 40 with an archetype (as I proposed in the first post, freeform till lvl 20, get full freeform at a discount).
    So he has not even started yet and can see there is stuff to unlock. (Maybe throw some catchphrases in there, like "create any hero you want". Make it sound awesome.) He also sees premium freeforms, they cost 200 zen. Thats like 2$. So it seems like a pretty fair game, thats of amount of money you can risk.

Ok now he chooses his first character and can customize the appearance. At that point I would like him to see a big message: "Unlock the full character creator after the tutorial. Get amazing new options, like wings". That should get people curious. Also, you only have to play the tutorial and you are already getting free stuff? Awesome. I mean if they want to limit the options at char creation at least sell it the right way. At the moment it seems like punishment for new players, make it into their first reward. Tell them from the beginning what they get, give them a flashy ig message, char creator unlocked.
    So most people would at least want to see what is possible. The wings should get you curious what more there is. Thats a big incentive so actually try the game I think.

So the new player stands in millenium city, after the tutorial. Now he gets tons of pop ups, and can't even close them without scrolling through them. That's probably the first annoying experience. And I am unsure if anyone has ever read them anyway.
    But he just unlocked stuff. So he will visit the tailor and he will get his travel power from the powerhouse. So after spending only a little time he has already earned so much. That should be a very good first impression. There is also the unlockable freeform at the horizon.

Playing threw the game with an archetype should not be too difficult. Afterwards a player has a basic knowledge about some things in the game, at least. Maybe he even found friends to help him. Now he should be able not to screw up his freeform too bad.

Also note that a new player will probably still want more char slots, costumes, maybe a hideout, other travel powers,...
    There is a ton of stuff to spend money on. But to make him spend money you have to make him play the game first. So give new players a good impression. Give them a reason to stick around, with unlockable stuff. And make life easier for silverplayers by selling them more stuff.

• spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    And sometimes, the problem is also in the community.

Yes, the community is the reason your character was squishy.

Finn where did you get that mustache? u_U
    edited November 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    Yes, the community is the reason your character was squishy.

Yes, it taught me that Pulsewave was a liar. So yeah, I think I'm going to rely on people who are still active should I want to repeat that experience, which is nearly out of question. Besides, you're making yourself sound like an elitist.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I hate FFs.

Sounds like you had a bad experience and just gave up instead of striving to improve. Can't help you with that.
    Has the new generation of gamer become so stupid that they can't work these things out for them selves because I cant remember hundreds of people having these kinds of issues when champions first launched.

Games are becoming easier and tend to assume the player is a moron. How many modern games have you played with prompts telling you all sorts of crap on the screen? Even stuff that is obvious? The CO tutorial says "Hi".

- "Move around using W A S D keys." No ****! Most people know this or can at least figure out click to move and anyone that can't figure out how to move... Catering to the lowest common denominator is not going to benefit the game.

- "Interact with contacts." Because I never would have figured out that SOMEONE WITH A GIANT QUESTION MARK AND WAVING THEIR HANDS was a sign I should go see what the hell they want. Thank you Idiot Box!

- "Tab Targeting." Most people are going to figure out that you can click on stuff to target it. They can find out about tab targeting later. Probably best they don't since it's terrible. Or... CO could make the default controls so that anything that attacks you is automatically targeted. If anyone wants to know more, they can go into the damn options menu to learn. Is anyone so stupid they can't figure out how to do that on their own should they want to?

- "Initiating a fight." There's this tray thing at the bottom of the screen with numbers and stuff. Maybe I should click on stuff to see what happens... Or maybe I can push the numbers on my keyboard. OH ****! I KILLED SOMETHING! And I didn't need an idiot box to figure it out!

If someone is fighting and using powers, they're going to see that when the blue bar is empty, they can't use their powers. But when they use that power in the odd out spot, the blue bar refills... Maybe >that< power gives more blue stuff so that I can use other, cooler powers.

- "Hero Points System" I died and I lost a star! What does that mean?! *tries to click on stars. sees tool tip.* Oh hey, they give me bonus to stuff. Okay, cool.

- "Interacting with world objects." Seriously?!?!?!?!?! How stupid am I that I haven't figured out that clicking on stuff does something? It's SHINEY and has a popup that TELLS YOU HOW TO INTERACT WITH IT that also serves as a button to click on to interact with it.

- "Mission Heading Indicator." Considering you've already done several missions at this point, all I can say is "WTF?" You already have it marked on your mini map. No more idiot boxes! Please! As I've already said, even a moron is going to figure out clicking on stuff makes things happen. Chances are they're going to click on the quest tracker at some point and figure out that you can make a mission the primary one.

- "Respawn Areas." You're going to figure this out when you die. If devs really wanted to teach players, you'd unlock the respawn point and then be slaughtered by a Qulaar ship bomb. Bonus, you might learn about the stars this way, since you just lost one.

- "Picking up items." I wonder what that GLOWING EXCLAMATION POINT is? Maybe I should go over to it and click the ****ing button that lets me pick it up.

- "The Crime Computer." A button for missions you stumble upon already pops up for you to click on. I KNOW HOW TO CLICK ON ****! STOP TELLING ME ABOUT IT!

- "Levels and Experience." You've already leveled once at this point. It tells you a bunch of stuff that's either stupid or YOU CAN'T EVEN DO YET! ARGH! RAGE!!!!!! Where is the Powerhouse and why are you telling me about it?

If the tutorial teaches anything, it's that the devs think you're a ****ing moron, everything is easy, and the Champions are a bunch of under powered losers. Seriously, some nobody (you) can kill Black Talon on their own and probably has to help Defender take care of TRASH MOBS and doesn't have the mental capacity to open doors. And then you find out Dopey is the LEADER of the Champions. A group of supers that is supposed to be THE most powerful super group in the world.
    aetam1 wrote: »
    So the new player stands in millenium city, after the tutorial. Now he gets tons of pop ups, and can't even close them without scrolling through them. That's probably the first annoying experience. And I am unsure if anyone has ever read them anyway.

The entire tutorial is the first annoying experience. The additional idiot boxes after are just a continuation. If we're talking favorable experience for first time players, the entire tutorial needs to not suck. Not assuming everyone that plays your game had their brains scooped out and replaced with rocks would help also. Not calling it a tutorial would be nice. "I'm done. Take me to the tutorial." REALLY? I'm a f-ing superhero! I don't need a tutorial! Can I just play the game without being subjected to some idiotic hand-holding?
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited November 2013
    sterga wrote: »
    If the tutorial teaches anything, it's that the devs think you're a ****ing moron, everything is easy, and the Champions are a bunch of under powered losers. Seriously, some nobody (you) can kill Black Talon on their own and probably has to help Defender take care of TRASH MOBS and doesn't have the mental capacity to open doors. And then you find out Dopey is the LEADER of the Champions. A group of supers that is supposed to be THE most powerful super group in the world.
    It is a basic tutorial as one would expect it. After you completed it once you can skip it with further chars. It never really offended me. Of course it is pretty useless for most people but there always might be at least one person form whom it is the first game he plays.

And if I remember right in the battle at the end the tutorial tries to tell you the importance of block and how to spot an attack you should block. That is actually helpful. Of course it does not cover important stuff like: energy management, how to build a freeform or stuff like that.
    The entire tutorial is the first annoying experience. The additional idiot boxes after are just a continuation. If we're talking favorable experience for first time players, the entire tutorial needs to not suck. Not assuming everyone that plays your game had their brains scooped out and replaced with rocks would help also. Not calling it a tutorial would be nice. "I'm done. Take me to the tutorial." REALLY? I'm a f-ing superhero! I don't need a tutorial! Can I just play the game without being subjected to some idiotic hand-holding?

I might be relatively new to champions but I have been with sto since beta. Let me tell you how that games looks today:
    You can lvl from 1 to 50 (max lvl) without using any abilities. That is unfortunately not an exaggeration. You do not good gear for that, you do not even a very useful loadout for that. You put all weapons to auto fire, press spacebar once. If your target dies press spacebar again. It is like if you would play CO with only your energy builder, in a way. Only in STO it actually works.

When they released LOR this year, they tried to make the quests a little more challenging. meaning you were encouraged to actually use a skill at some point.
    The crying was endless. They had to nerf the missions again because apparently they were unplayable.

The sad part is the game is really not that difficult to understand. If they just made an actual tutorial telling the basics it would help, a lot. But that game taught me one thing, if you give a player a chance to screw something up, he will. And I even try not blame all of them. Not everyone has played games for 10+ years. And I think many people see their games like an interactive movie, not really as a challenge.

If you want a financially successful game you need the masses. And for that you want something really easy and rewarding, especially in the beginning to catch their interest. Even shooters have lvls and achievements these days because people like rewards that much.

• championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Besides, you're making yourself sound like an elitist.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited November 2013
    People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And people should respect the choice of others.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited November 2013
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I preferred the original tutorial. It actually did a better job explaining game mechanics, and it had more little secrets and perks.

What I think would make the game more silver-friendly is if Talos and Poe (the first version) were a little easier to fight for squishy ATs.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited November 2013
    I preferred the original tutorial. It actually did a better job explaining game mechanics, and it had more little secrets and perks.

What I think would make the game more silver-friendly is if Talos and Poe (the first version) were a little easier to fight for squishy ATs.

All these changes they made to "improve" the lower levels in my opinion only made it worse.

I prefer the old tutorial and the old Canada at lvl6. Only the shift of the Desert Crisis from 6 to 15 was OK for me.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • gaarafrednorrispgaarafrednorrisp Posts: 504 Arc User
    edited November 2013

>.> Actually the Champions are just a Millennium City based group that isn't really that powerful on a world scale. But they are the "best in MC" and are supposed to be the most balanced group mechanically in the PnP. Most POWERFUL group is Star*Guard, which is basically the Champions version of the Lantern Corp... only with staves.
    AWWWW CHAMPIONS UNIVERSE! DON'T YOU DARE. BE SOUR. CLAP FOR YOUR NIGHTMARE AND FEEEEEEEEEEEL THE POWAAAAAAH!
  • gynomightgynomight Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm a silver player, but by no means a free player. I've put a lot of money into this game. I love trying out the archetypes and dressing up with costume packages and such.

My only real complaint as a silver player is that the archetypes are too straight and narrow.
    There are only two times during leveling that you get to choose one of two granted powers.
    I would love to be able to pick one of two power choices among all the powers from level 1 to 40.
    This would allow more creative builds while still staying within the archetype theme.
  • drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited November 2013

They do give out a starter pack with damage boost and health packs. If you're smart enough to save those up to that point, those two foes are a breeze no matter what AT you are.

In regards of this tutorial hate. I can agree I prefer the previous one more than the current seeing it told you the more important mechanics of this game. Though every game out there has a tutorial, we all have to go through it despite how many times you were told WSAD is to move, I is inventory, Space is jump, etc.. Just be thankful CO gives you the option to skip the tutorial after you do it just once. No one is forcing you to keep repeating it.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • tau41tau41 Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Remember kids, the assumption is that this could be someone's first game EVER.

Honestly, I'd just like an option in the options menu to kill off all the spam boxes. That'd be solid for me.

Also kinda' sick of being told it's On Alert with all these new features everytime I make a character. Maybe the same option could kill those messages once and for all too?

And maybe we could make the game make our key binds global for all characters at least on the local computer? Just a thought.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Millennium City is one of the hubs of the Superhuman World, with a level of costumed activity that some experts think has already equalled, and maybe even surpassed, that of New York City. Its chief defenders are, of course, the Champions, one of the most powerful and popular superteams in the world.
    - Champions Universe 6e p.84
    THE STAR*GUARD: PROTECTORS OF THE GALAXY
    - Champions Beyond 6e p.225
    It is a basic tutorial as one would expect it. After you completed it once you can skip it with further chars. It never really offended me. Of course it is pretty useless for most people but there always might be at least one person form whom it is the first game he plays.

And if I remember right in the battle at the end the tutorial tries to tell you the importance of block and how to spot an attack you should block. That is actually helpful. Of course it does not cover important stuff like: energy management, how to build a freeform or stuff like that.

No, the tutorial is horrible because the devs assume everyone is stupid and TELL you how to do stuff instead of SHOW you how to do stuff. And that is also why the whole block thing is terrible as well. Not to mention an Idiot Box pops up IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT. You don't have to play games for 10+ years to understand the concept of "clicking on things does stuff". If that was such a difficult concept, how the hell did they install the game in the first place?

"Someone who has never played games before ever" is a target audience that Cryptic may not be targeting and can completely ignore. Even if it was part of the target audience, there is no excuse for treating players like idiots and having a crappy tutorial.
    If you want a financially successful game you need the masses. And for that you want something really easy and rewarding, especially in the beginning to catch their interest. Even shooters have lvls and achievements these days because people like rewards that much.

Do not agree. At all. Leveling in a shooter has to do with game design. Different genres have been borrowing from each other for a long time now, so that is not necessarily true. People played games and spent money on them long before achievements came around. Whether or not achievements have been added because consumer want them or because it's a gimmick companies use because some big, huge game has them is something I don't know the answer to and have no interest in researching.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited November 2013
    No, the tutorial is horrible because the devs assume everyone is stupid and TELL you how to do stuff instead of SHOW you how to do stuff. And that is also why the whole block thing is terrible as well. Not to mention an Idiot Box pops up IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIGHT. You don't have to play games for 10+ years to understand the concept of "clicking on things does stuff". If that was such a difficult concept, how the hell did they install the game in the first place?

"Someone who has never played games before ever" is a target audience that Cryptic may not be targeting and can completely ignore. Even if it was part of the target audience, there is no excuse for treating players like idiots and having a crappy tutorial.
    I won't say the tutorial is perfect. But personally I am ok with it. It does what I would expect from a tutorial. Since you only have to do it once I do not really see any problem with it.
    But thats simply my opinion.
    Do not agree. At all. Leveling in a shooter has to do with game design. Different genres have been borrowing from each other for a long time now, so that is not necessarily true. People played games and spent money on them long before achievements came around. Whether or not achievements have been added because consumer want them or because it's a gimmick companies use because some big, huge game has them is something I don't know the answer to and have no interest in researching.

Yes, people played games as well in the old days. But the audience was a bit different back then. 15 years ago not everybody had a pc or flat rate internet. The possible audience grew. And wow showed the world that mmos can be a mass product.
    Of course a small product can work, but it won't make as much money. Look at CO and how much money/dev attention it gets. Just imagine what we could get if this game had as many players as STO or NW.

Also achievements are added these days to everything, because it just works. People do all kinds of stuff for them. If you give people an achievement for killing themselves, they will kill themself.

edited November 2013
    gynomight wrote: »
    I'm a silver player, but by no means a free player. I've put a lot of money into this game. I love trying out the archetypes and dressing up with costume packages and such.

My only real complaint as a silver player is that the archetypes are too straight and narrow.
    There are only two times during leveling that you get to choose one of two granted powers.
    I would love to be able to pick one of two power choices among all the powers from level 1 to 40.
    This would allow more creative builds while still staying within the archetype theme.

Sure beats having the Damocles sword over your head when building a FF.
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Speaking of which, when did that buff happened? Because I was Gold for only one trimester.

not sure to be honest i've always liked 2gm even when it was lack luster
    edited November 2013
    not sure to be honest i've always liked 2gm even when it was lack luster

Nevermind, someone told me that it was after On Alert.
    edited November 2013
    If you give people an achievement for killing themselves, they will kill themself.

I hate these kinds of achievements and never do them since i hate dying so much that i simply can't bring myself to do that. A problem i have, since i played Diablo 2 Hardcore for a long time i think :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg