test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Earth: Melee, Ranged, Both

thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Power Discussion
I'll start off by saying that I'm a pretty basic guy when it comes to stat outlays on characters. Generally, I look at the three superstats and pick them for a character based upon their role. Their supplementary statting then reinforces whatever role they have for them. I don't generally spend a lot of points on buffing non superstats.

I know some people like to do that sort of tweaking, but I honestly find that it works better for me to go with simple build designs.

So here's my dilemma. I have a free-form earth character, based around using defiance for tanking, with a goal in mind of making an earth tank. Easy enough concept. The problem is I can't decide how to stat him.

Some earth powers use melee stating, and use strength. Some use ranged and use ego. I haven't had enough experience with the set to make a clear objective choice between the two options, nor am I certain whether I should use concentration, or enrage.

So then my question becomes which is the better choice for an earth tank? Should I focus on melee, ranged, or try to cobble together some sort of a hybrid tanking build.

Any thoughts, or build suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    When using Earth I stat Con and End, the problem I have is earth has no real melee attacks :<
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    ajanusajanus Posts: 501 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Here is what I would do in your situation.

1. Take Concentration.
    2. Use CON/Int/Dex - those stats buff both melee/ranged equally and Int is there to buff the Concentration.
    3. Choose whatever Earth powers I want since I buffed both sets equally aside from Concentration.

Ranged is generally more powerful in this game and I believe most of Earth's Crippling Challenge abilities are also ranged, so I would use my form (Concentration) to buff that aspect more, but also the stats are set where I wouldn't completely gimp out my toon if I wanted a melee ability in there somewhere either.

Remember: Half the people you know are below average...

Do not correct a fool, for he will hate you for it. Correct a wise man, for he will appreciate you for it.

Don't be like the Qularr. They would not last one round in the Interstellar Galactic Arena...

Handle @brayv
  • Options
    cheesesloppycheesesloppy Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Personally I would still go Strength over Con for a primary stat. Reason being is the knock strength, and the better defensive benefits mixed with offensive ones. Less overall health, but better defense, knock resist, and crit severity if that's your thing.

On the topic of actual powers, though? That's up to you. Earth has the powers it needs to tank effectively even in melee, the problem is that they're likely considered 'Weak'.

So, Ranged is pretty good for it too. Put challenging strikes on Quicksand or Stone Shot with the adv, and Crippling Challenge on something spammable.

TLDR: Str Con/Int
  • Options
    unsungchampionunsungchampion Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I can speak into this. There are really two options for you when it comes to Earth. If you want to be ranged you need ego or Intel with concentration. If you want melee then I go Stg and Enrage. With the Stg spec tree you can take an advantage that adds knock DMG from your Stg. Also if you want to be defensive grab Deffiance for sure. If you want more a DPS build I grab Earth Form. I have been really happy so far with it. I will post my build thus far see if you like it.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Strength (Primary)
    Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
    Level 15: Intelligence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: Superhuman
    Level 6: Mighty
    Level 9: Enduring
    Level 12: Energetic
    Level 15: Physical Conditioning
    Level 18: Bodybuilder
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
    Level 1: Wield Earth
    Level 1: Onslaught (Rank 2, Excessive Force)
    Level 6: Land Slide (Rock Solid)
    Level 8: Earth Form (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Upheaval (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Enrage (Rank 2, Endorphin Rush)
    Level 17: Stone Shroud (Rank 2)
    Level 20: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 23: Seismic Smash (Massive Attack)
    Level 26: Unbreakable (Rank 2, Better You Than Me)
    Level 29: Resurgence (Evanescent Emergence)
    Level 32: Aggressor (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Fault Line (Rank 2, Compound Fracture)
    Level 38: Telekinetic Maelstrom

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Earth Flight
    Level 35:

Specializations:
    Strength: Swole (2/3)
    Strength: Physical Peak (3/3)
    Strength: Balance (2/2)
    Strength: Juggernaut (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)