test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Monsterdaddy's Amazing Build Frameworks - Part 1: Ranged DPS Builds (Low HP)

monsterdaddymonsterdaddy Posts: 774 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Power Discussion
So what is a build framework? It's a set of Super Stat, Spec, Gear, Passive and Active Offense Defense powers that have many synergies. These frameworks allows many combinations of other power choices to work well by enhancing DPS and survivability. I'd like to share the ones I have found to be very effective in a variety of themes.

This is Part 1: Ranged DPS Builds (Low HP)

The purpose of this build framework is to create high DPS ranged role heroes with high survivability. DPS will come from high crit/severity (~41-44%/118%), high additive damage bonuses (~21% Concentration stacks), lots of energy, and short cooldowns on your Active Offense. Survivability comes from fair Damage Resistance (~55-61% with CoPD) and Dodging due Gear/Quarry, short cooldowns as low as 28 seconds on Masterful Dodge, and Nanobot Swarm getting MD back up often.

Weaknesses of this build framework is low HP so there is little room for error or plain bad luck. These builds can tank Gravitar for decent periods and solo outdoor Cosmics.

Super Stats & Specs

PSS: Dex
SS1: Int
SS2: Ego (Max DPS/Archery/Munitions/Telekinetics), End (Force Cascade/Typhoon), Rec (Power Armor), Pre (Healing), Con (Survivability)

Dexterity
2nd Tier: 0,3,2,0
1st Tier: 2,3,0,0 (DPS) or 0,3,2,0 (Survivability) or 0,3,0,2 (Force Cascade)
Mastery
Vindicator
2nd Tier: 3,2,0,0 (ST) or 0,2,0,3 (AoE)
1st Tier: 2,3,0,0
Guardian
2nd Tier: 0,0,2,3 or 0,0,0,3 (Power Armor)
1st Tier: 3,0,2,0 or 3,2,2,0 (Power Armor)

Gear

Primary
Heroic Precision (Gambler's Luck or Depleted Uranium Core)
Legion Elusiveness or Agility (preferred), Heroic (adequate)
Legion Speed (Impact x2)
All of the above modded with 6 x Int (exc. Force Cascade needs 1 x End, Power Armor needs 1-2 x Rec w/Overdrive)

Secondary
Vigilante Critical Belt
Vigilante (preferred) or Ameliorating/Barricade Bracer
Hospitable Eyepiece

Devices
Necrullitic Elixir (preferred)

Required Powers

Quarry R3 (preferred)
Concentration
Molecular Self Assembly, Overdrive (Power Armor), Archery/Munitions Energy Unlock with Ego SS
Nanobot Swarm R3
Masterful Dodge
Active Offense R3 (Lock N Load, Ice Sheath)
Circle of Primal Dominion R3 (for knock and damage resistance plus healing)
(7 powers, 16 advantage points)
plus Ascension R3 if you are using Necrullitic Elixir

Discussion

I think a lot of players have found success with high HP DPS ranged role builds -- the vaunted Dex/Con/Int combination with a lot of CON mods so you can get 100% critical chance with Ego Surge w/Nimble Mind. That is a tried and true build for decent DPS and great survivability.

This build framework sacrifices some survivability for much higher DPS (or in the case of Force Cascade, simply enables you to spam it). Crazy high levels of INT (~570) and cooldown are the keys to this build. Super high Concentration stacks for energy and even with DR, lots and lots of additive bonuses to help DPS. It is also a little easier on your wallet since you don't need any CON mods.

It is a challenging build since you will need to watch your health more. But I don't think you are sacrificing too much in survivability. With just 5.8K HP I have builds that solo Kigatilik and his Frost Hounds simultaneously and tank Gravitar as previously mentioned.

In the following posts I have two of my favorite builds in Powerhouse format -- a fun multirole Force Cascade and an exciting Rimefire/Fire build. Also below are some power combinations that have some nice synergies:

Darkness at 100 ft Range
Shadow Bolt R3 (full charge for Fear) then Ebon Ruin R3 w/Nyctophobia, no healing for you Ao'Qephoth!

Electricity at 100 ft Range
Tried and true Thunderstrike with Lightning Arc R3 but now with Gigabolt taps to wipe the field clear of minions!

Two Gun Mojo in your Face!
Two Gun Mojo R2 with Close the Gap, Demolish R3, Energy Shield with Laser Knight. Fight in melee range for max DPS and debuffing with Demolish. Need some extra protection when you have a yellow Gravitar bubble on you? Tap Demolish for Laser Knight and then block -- 33% less final damage. (For players with good connections of course!)

Enjoy!
Post edited by monsterdaddy on

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Omega Force is a pretty unique build. I use just one power: FORCE CASCADE!

Yet, I have her setup in four roles. Ranged role is her usual role. Support role with Seraphim is primarily there to boost Necrullitic Elixir with Ascension. And Hybrid or Tank role with Personal Force Field comes in real handy in many situations. She usually goes PFF tank when she needs to run past the attackers in Andrith.

I was really surprised the first time she tanked Gravitar in ranged role for the entire Rampage. I mean she has less than 6K HP. I was so happy I screamed it in Zone LOL!

Just make sure you keep MSA running and you should have energy all the time.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Omega Force

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Endurance (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Investigator
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Accurate
    Level 15: Acrobat
    Level 18: Healthy Mind
    Level 21: Boundless Reserves

Powers:
    Level 1: Sonic Blaster
    Level 1: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 6: Nanobot Swarm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Masterful Dodge
    Level 17: Lock N Load (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Field Surge (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Force Cascade (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 26: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Telekinetic Shield (Rank 2, Telekinetic Reinforcement)
    Level 32: Ascension (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 35: Seraphim
    Level 38: Personal Force Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Lightspeed
    Level 35: Power Flight

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Power Swell (2/2)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    My newest jewel. An amazing 5.8K sustained DPS with Rimefire Burst! With Nanobot Swarm you can often get 4 Rimefire Bursts within 10 seconds, pretty nice. I only have Firesnake and Conflagration's 10% chance to proc Clinging Flames but over a few seconds and 3 ticks per second the odds are pretty good.

Also kinda of surprising is how many Chills you can get with Ice Sheath but it's effective plus the severity bonus is great. With 10 stack of Firesnake I have hit 21K with Rimefire Burst.

Lots of buttons to press but if you can handle it you will be rewarded.

Note: I also tried this with Ice Form since attackers in melee range can get chilled but it just didn't seem to perform as well as Quarry.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name: Isis (Retconned)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Dexterity (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Glacier
    Level 6: Acrobat
    Level 9: Coordinated
    Level 12: Healthy Mind
    Level 15: Accurate
    Level 18: Boundless Reserves
    Level 21: Investigator

Powers:
    Level 1: Ice Shards
    Level 1: Ice Shield
    Level 6: Ice Sheath (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Quarry (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 11: Concentration
    Level 14: Molecular Self-Assembly
    Level 17: Nanobot Swarm (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 20: Masterful Dodge
    Level 23: Circle of Primal Dominion (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Ascension (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Rimefire Burst (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 35: Conflagration (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
    Level 38: Fire Snake (Rank 2, Trail Blazer)

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Blazing Speed
    Level 35: Fire Flight (Rank 2)

Specializations:
    Dexterity: Combat Training (2/3)
    Dexterity: Gear Utilization (3/3)
    Dexterity: Deadly Aim (3/3)
    Dexterity: Expose Weakness (2/2)
    Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
    Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
    Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
    Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
    Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
    Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
    Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Dexterity Mastery (1/1)
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    No-Con ranged DPS builds are amazing. I have a Munitions character that frequently ends up tanking in Alerts just because of his damage output. The build is different in some places from what you have, and I need to get better at blocking; Viper X, Baron Cimitiere and Jack Fool happily one-shot me because I'm usually too slow with the block key. I've never tried to solo a Cosmic with him, so I have no idea how he'd fare.

I run Ego/Dex/Int with R2 Quarry+Fair Game. Concentration rarely triggers for me, because I'm too close, have no charge powers, and my maintains often don't last half their duration, so I use Form of the Tempest instead. Between Int, Insight, Killer Instinct and FotT, even my most expensive maintains fill my energy bar for me.
    I get Defense from specs and Dodge/Avoid from Gear. Heals come from Fair Game, the Rush of Battle and Bountiful Chi Resurgence. I use Heroic Avoid, Crit and Cooldown gear, each with a Gambler's Lucky Gem 5 and R5 Ego, Dex and Int mods - two of each. My secondaries are Armadillo gear for the extra resistance.

I don't even have Demolish in my build yet. I should add that eventually.
    edited December 2013
    Wow, that was an amazing guide. I'd love to see more.

Is Monsterdaddy still posting? The "Part 1" is SUCH a tease.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Still posting. But the guides are on hiatus with the dodge nerf and possible justice gear introduction. Playing with a few builds and seeing how they work atm.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I like this "framework" concept for a build guide. It's a good way to show the basic building blocks of putting together a good build and allows the reader to play with it easily. Good job. :)
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    I like this "framework" concept for a build guide. It's a good way to show the basic building blocks of putting together a good build and allows the reader to play with it easily. Good job. :)
    Thanks! That was the intent so people could mix in a bunch of powers and themes of their choice but still wind up with an efficient build.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I remember your build. You used preemptive strike for big spikes. I think most of my builds have suffered significant losses of dps mostly due to crit nerf. With PA though, I always check for energy issues first.