What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Attempting to start a new era of Team PvP

Comments

• Options
    isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Arghhhhhhahaha this means easier wins for me yes?

Jokin', k, do you have the same issues with Tk assault?

Hehe, TK assault and every other power in the game are totally fine. There is just something unique about PBR, because of the bright intense flashing. I know it is a lot to ask for someone not to use a power, so I'm hugely appreciative of anyone whose willing to be considerate on this. :smile:
    Mega-D event is this weekend so that may cause attendance issues.

Thanks for the info. My thinking is we have to start somewhere when it comes to rebuilding team pvp, so if we start with a small attendance than hopefully it will grow in the weeks to come. Maybe some people will want to wait until the legacy device nerf before getting involved, and that's fine too.
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The way I see it, the real problem is quite simply that no matter how many people que for the team games, they also que for bash, and bash always wins that battle.

The problem with doing this on any particular day(s) of the week is that people have different schedules; not everyone can make it on the weekend, because the weekend isn't the weekend for everyone. Doing it on weekends lowers the audience that you can reach with this. Also, people are impatient, nobody wants to wait 5 days before they can have fun.

Going by these two bits of theory, I think the correct course of action is for everyone to just stop queing for Bash. Just stop... cold turkey. Only que for everything else. And do this every day... monday through sunday, don't que for bash. Make an announcement in CoPvP about this so as many people know about it as possible. Hell, announce it in m-city zone chat; when people hear that something other than bash might pop, who knows what sorts of people might decide to click the button!

Let's face it, this is an emergency situation. We're stranded in the woods and starving to death, so we're past the point where we can decide to only scavenge for food on the north side of the cabin and only between the two big pine trees. We need to start scavenging around the whole damn cabin, down by the lake shore and up on the mountain!

Sometimes you can afford to use a sniper rifle, but we can't count on long shots anymore! Bring out the shotguns!
  • Options
    iceih03iceih03 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    isometry wrote: »
    Let's promote this event to the broader CO community, outside of just the regulars, and try to make it fun for everyone.

I would like to participate, but I have a question: my main is PvE and has Crowd Control (Ego Storm and Mental Storm) is it ok or must I use an alter without CC?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    iceih03 wrote: »
    I would like to participate, but I have a question: my main is PvE and has Crowd Control (Ego Storm and Mental Storm) is it ok or must I use an alter without CC?

I already asked about that and the answer was no you can use whatever you want, this isn't about restricting what powers people can use.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    well, depends on the opponent in my experience. when dueling with Mentrance, its usually a short battle. either I hold the opponent until I can finish them, or almost to that point, or I am gunned down too fast. I do win a decent share of duels with that toon, but its not more than half of them for sure lol.

your bubbles however may serve you in good stead. mentrance has no bubbles so must rely on her fantastic holds. you might have less hold strength right now, but the fact you have 2 bubble shields means you already have much more on the defense side than mentrance. and dont forget your AoRP.

I m not worried about loosing, I know I have a PvE toon so I do not expect to be a winner, what I do not want is to ruin anothers fun, 3 of my 4 attacks have CC and time ago when I was a frequent PvPer (2009-2010) CC was very disapointing.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    I already asked about that and the answer was no you can use whatever you want, this isn't about restricting what powers people can use.

cool thanks, the thread is so long that I just read a few posts. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    hi Martoon, I remember that you used to pvp with us years ago. CC has changed a lot from the old days, and now it is more balanced, so I don't think anyone will mind. Nobody complains about ego storm or mental storm recently, that I've seen.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    The problem with doing this on any particular day(s) of the week is that people have different schedules; not everyone can make it on the weekend, because the weekend isn't the weekend for everyone. Doing it on weekends lowers the audience that you can reach with this. Also, people are impatient, nobody wants to wait 5 days before they can have fun.

Obviously there is no perfect time when everyone is free to pvp. Think of this scheduled event as a jump start: if people enjoy themselves, they will build more characters for team pvp, and queue for it more often, unscheduled and throughout the week. That is the goal, but we have to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I think the issue was if I understand correctly that there were too many ways to abuse things like ego storm + adv back then. not sure how that worked or when that was since when I first started, I tried the Mind AT, liking the concept, but found early leveling terrible. so I went with a glacier. then I tried a tempest. (this was shortly after F2P had started) I then took a decent break from CO when I came back they had the Unleashed. My main, Sylviana, was originally The Unleashed.

In Jan 2011 there was a patch that made it so ego storm would hold players 3 times in a row, with no breaks or immunity. It was a dev mistake, and it has since been corrected.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Obviously there is no perfect time when everyone is free to pvp. Think of this scheduled event as a jump start: if people enjoy themselves, they will build more characters for team pvp, and queue for it more often, unscheduled and throughout the week. That is the goal, but we have to start somewhere.

If you start your journey in a rickety boat, you're bound to sink!

And what that means is, if you want this to become an "all days of the week" thing, then you need to start it as an all days of the week thing, or it will never get there (as has been shown in the past :P)
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you start your journey in a rickety boat, you're bound to sink!

And what that means is, if you want this to become an "all days of the week" thing, then you need to start it as an all days of the week thing, or it will never get there (as has been shown in the past :P)

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate constructive feedback. But let's reread what I said in the first post:
    isometry wrote:
    That's it. I'm not trying to be the boss of anyone, and frankly I don't have the time to carry this initiative all by myself. I am hoping for others to step up so that we can all do it together.

Feel free to start your own thread arguing for no one to queue for bash, for everyone to have team pvp 24/7, etc. This thread is just about one small first step. If that has inspired you to propose something bigger in scope, which would deserve it's own thread, then do so!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Feel free to start your own thread arguing for no one to queue for bash, for everyone to have team pvp 24/7, etc. This thread is just about one small first step. If that has inspired you to propose something bigger in scope, which would deserve it's own thread, then do so!

What would realistically be the point of me starting a new thread in order to discuss the ideas proposed in this thread? Is it so the five people who actually still visit this section of these forums would have to click a different link to read about the same topic? I mean come on, we're on page 7... you really still just wanna repeat the ideas presented in to OP over and over?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    hi Martoon, I remember that you used to pvp with us years ago. CC has changed a lot from the old days, and now it is more balanced, so I don't think anyone will mind. Nobody complains about ego storm or mental storm recently, that I've seen.

Hey, nice you remember those days, yes it was long time ago. Lets see if this weekend brings me back to UTC!
    I think the issue was if I understand correctly that there were too many ways to abuse things like ego storm + adv back then. not sure how that worked or when that was since when I first started, I tried the Mind AT, liking the concept, but found early leveling terrible. so I went with a glacier. then I tried a tempest. (this was shortly after F2P had started) I then took a decent break from CO when I came back they had the Unleashed. My main, Sylviana, was originally The Unleashed.
    In Jan 2011 there was a patch that made it so ego storm would hold players 3 times in a row, with no breaks or immunity. It was a dev mistake, and it has since been corrected.

Yes, you both are right, I was talking about those days.
  • Options
    nesnonesno Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Altered Egos is ready we have 9 players that have given written dedication to a time and place of your choice.

-Xeno
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nesno2 wrote: »
    Altered Egos is ready we have 9 players that have given written dedication to a time and place of your choice.

Great! And if people are looking for something more competitive, like SG vs SG, maybe we can stick around after the main event.
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nesno2 wrote: »

-Xeno

You'd need a 10th one to be competitive vs 5.

Will be on in Sunday.
    GET HIM
  • Options
    gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    See this nonsense is what ruins BASH. Pretend super groups like AE and Specter having stupid little clan warsi n BASH and when the random player tries to well BASH they end up with some idiot PM'ing telling them this is a "private war".

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    See this nonsense is what ruins BASH. Pretend super groups like AE and Specter having stupid little clan warsi n BASH and when the random player tries to well BASH they end up with some idiot PM'ing telling them this is a "private war".

Except the whole thing is planned to happen in UTC's, KOTH's, SH's, and maybe ZA.

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    Except the whole thing is planned to happen in UTC's, KOTH's, SH's, and maybe ZA.

Oooo, ZA would maybe be a little better if you had a premade team of an SG trying to survive. The only problem would be if they had vixy with rebirth and jewel with rebirth with a bunch of super tanks like green and malware it would generally be next to impossible for even 10 zombies to kill them. :) Still though, it would be interesting.
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oooo, ZA would maybe be a little better if you had a premade team of an SG trying to survive. The only problem would be if they had vixy with rebirth and jewel with rebirth with a bunch of super tanks like green and malware it would generally be next to impossible for even 10 zombies to kill them. :) Still though, it would be interesting.

I accept this challenge. :biggrin: Without Ice Grenade spam to kill me, you might be right. :tongue:
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    oobtree wrote: »
    I accept this challenge. :biggrin: Without Ice Grenade spam to kill me, you might be right. :tongue:

Well some things are being changed so we should probably get testing the things the Dev's have been working on. It sounds amazing that they are actually finally doing something, I sure hope the changes will work. :) Also finally manipulator has been fixed for certain powers making more build for me personally viable. Things may get interesting with these changes indeed. :D
  • Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    If the zombie team is premade too, it shouldn't be that difficult...maybe a debuffer applying clinging flames in a team with 2-3 rb shooters would make a healer's job hard...let alone that dots stacking could kill one of those builds...we really should try that!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Well some things are being changed so we should probably get testing the things the Dev's have been working on. It sounds amazing that they are actually finally doing something, I sure hope the changes will work. :) Also finally manipulator has been fixed for certain powers making more build for me personally viable. Things may get interesting with these changes indeed. :D

You keep liking those dodge changes you'll be about as popular around here as I am.

I like the dodge changes too, so watch my popularity fall into whatever Miley Cyrus is going for :D
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Well, let's keep in mind. When all the survivors die, the game ends. Better to have a good strong survivor team and a long game, than a weak survivor team and a game that ends up being shorter than the amount of time you have to wait for the que to pop again.

Now if we can just keep the zombie players from rage quitting over it... I keep trying to tell people, zombies can't rage, because zombies don't have feels!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I say this everyday, but I will say it again here. Your an idiot.

Reading original post helps a lot in these matters.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    I say this everyday, but I will say it again here. Your an idiot.

Reading original post helps a lot in these matters.

What about his an idiot? Is it broken?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    A few of these matches eventually popped. It was cool and all that. For the people who used to stay away from PvP that's often a traumatizing experience.

I felt too lame to go with some of my least reliable builds, and as I kind of expected, many of you will just bring the best thing you have and steamroll your way to victory.

Let's be clear on this. You don't organize or participate this party in order to feed your ego while stomping newcommers. Everyone knows it's so cool to tank and DPS and heal while making coffee, boiling noodles and mowing the lawn with every single item you have in your arsenal and you won't impress anybody with that.

If you want this thing to not turn into a fiasco you must tone it down on builds. It goes for all of you people, AE, the participating DC's, Spectre and the rest. Bring what you like to play, under stats and mechanics you used to enjoy, intriguing, exotic and fun stuff. You can't hope to move into a 'new era' if you still stay within the mindset you've been into ever since On Alert happened.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    A few of these matches eventually popped. It was cool and all that. For the people who used to stay away from PvP that's often a traumatizing experience.

I felt too lame to go with some of my least reliable builds, and as I kind of expected, many of you will just bring the best thing you have and steamroll your way to victory.

Let's be clear on this. You don't organize or participate this party in order to feed your ego while stomping newcommers. Everyone knows it's so cool to tank and DPS and heal while making coffee, boiling noodles and mowing the lawn with every single item you have in your arsenal and you won't impress anybody with that.

If you want this thing to not turn into a fiasco you must tone it down on builds. It goes for all of you people, AE, the participating DC's, Spectre and the rest. Bring what you like to play, under stats and mechanics you used to enjoy, intriguing, exotic and fun stuff. You can't hope to move into a 'new era' if you still stay within the mindset you've been into ever since On Alert happened.

I'm glad you had some fun, and I appreciate your feedback about toning down our builds even further. I used an ego form character with telepathy attacks, and a pure melee character with ~20 strength (and no other kb res), so this was far from the "best thing i had to steamroll to victory." The other spectres who played also held back on their builds compared to the usual bash fare:

Jewel played her healer
    Vixy played a high damage squishy, and a KB tank
    Green played an alt which had high defense, but low damage
    Ketas played his Nightwing AT

All those builds are reasonably strong, including mine, but they are not "the best thing we had to steamroll to victory." The point is, we aren't perfect yet, but I hope you can believe that we are genuinely trying at least.

As an analogy, think about the arms race between the US and Soviet Russia. After spending decades stockpiling nuclear weapons, even after the end of the cold war both sides could not just instantly trust each other enough to dismantle all their warheads. That's the process you're seeing: people bring in weaker builds, play together and see others doing the same, and that creates trust to bring in even weaker builds next time. Also, not everyone reads the forums, and we are still trying to get the word about encouraging fun and fair builds.

We'll never be perfect, so if you are determined to criticize the effort then you'll always find a way. But considering that last night was the first day of this proposed "new era", I'd say it went pretty well.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Along with thanking everyone who helped make the event fun, I want to apologize to others who may have felt I was being too bossy or too critical.

Imp, I'm sorry I kept going on about your ice grenades after the event was over. I was tired by that point, and I should have dropped it sooner. You are right: you are a squishy running ice form, ice nades have a 30 second cooldown, and overall I'm glad you participated.

@kai, I also apologize if you felt criticized for the builds / devices you were using. You had a good attitude, and we were happy to have you there.

And just as a general thing I apologize if I started acting too bossy. It's a fine line when trying to lead people for an event, and I don't want to sound like I was ordering people around.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    It's a general announcement. If we don't bother to critisize, you might aswell forget what we do that for. I really don't mind that this PA AT get to play (besides I did it too), but I do bother saying that the strafing runners and unkillable healer tanks with devices are signs of lazy and do make me cringe.

Attempting what's being organized will be about treating all the little problems until the end of times and prevent certain mentalities (mostly the 'Oh I'm so awesome') from growing up during this. And I believe jerks like me will eventually be needed to point that out.

• Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Attempting what's being organized will be about treating all the little problems until the end of times and prevent certain mentalities (mostly the 'Oh I'm so awesome') from growing up during this. And I believe jerks like me will eventually be needed to point that out.

Along with this, being as specific as possible about what is wrong with what people are running will be helpful in treating each of those of problems.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Imp, I'm sorry I kept going on about your ice grenades after the event was over. I was tired by that point, and I should have dropped it sooner. You are right: you are a squishy running ice form, ice nades have a 30 second cooldown, and overall I'm glad you participated.

No problem, it was like 5AM for me so yeah... I'm sorry for having a go at the tele use and the builds you were using at the time, for me it just made it much harder to do much. I don't like attacking squishier players but sometimes I find I have to try picking them off in team PvP when if I go anywhere near one of you guys I'm going to be killed over and over. Hope there are no hard feelings.

I recorded one of our PvP hero games we had yesterday here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_9E-NQRqug

I hadn't done KOTH in a while, it was pretty fun. :)

Also I recorded the team duel we had and although it didn't really turn out that great Ipos wanted me to upload it, so here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sySySE4dKZw

By the way I don't currently have ice form although I am planning on changing back to it once again soon, I also may try using a few more ice powers but we'll see what is possible. I had a great time yesterday, I hope other people felt the same way. (I have no alt so I have to still be able to do things on this character such as more serious pvp when it happens)
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Guys this was a great idea done at a stupid time. Its a destroid invasion weekend , anyhoo this needs to run at least once a month :P
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Nevermind.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I had fun on Saturday, but last night my SG mate rabidsquaw took over the event and excluded me from participating. No team captains picked me all night, and I'm still feeling rejected and upset. I went from having a great time and feeling the love, to evaluating whether I have better things to do with my life.

rabid: if you can't acknowledge your mistakes and apologize, then you don't have the skills to be a leader.

You guys actually had more than 10 people involved? Well, that's a small victory in itself...especially if at least half of those people weren't the same ol' vets.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    You guys actually had more than 10 people involved? Well, that's a small victory in itself...especially if at least half of those people weren't the same ol' vets.

We had over 20 people.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    old text

All of you who are running this should not put it onto each other to run it solo but instead we need to work together to get it to work out. If you really wanted to be picked you should have lined up with everyone as we were doing, the problem was we needed about 3-4 more people to create a 4th team. If we managed to make a 4th team with a healer in each team we could have had the teams rotate around battling each other.

Once again I found the team duels went on slightly too long due to no devices being used although I can see why it is no devices as there were many people there who don't PvP that often which is great. It just seemed that if I wasn't on the team sometimes when the teams both had healers and a bunch of super tanks then it would go on for way too long for others to wait around for the next duel. Just a personal opinion.

Also, does anyone know if it would be possible to get people such as caliga and theravenforce involved in this in any way, as long as we keep the level of the builds used in it down and both teams have a healer, plus caliga is pretty tanky other than the fact he needs devices. ;) It just may get more people involved is all I'm thinking.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    There was a bit of fail with regards to organization, but I'm sure that it will get better over time. We need practice too!

I think it's clear that getting the devs to fix the bug that causes players to be kicked out of a Q-ed instance should be the top priority as far as team pvp goes. Jumping into the Hero Games requires less prep-time and gets people into the fight faster.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you had over 20 people then why didn't you guys just all que for UTC and let god sort em out? :o
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    If you had over 20 people then why didn't you guys just all que for UTC and let god sort em out? :o

That's what we did on Saturday, and it worked out pretty well, even in spite of the kick bug.

I think we should split into different kinds of events. The problem with last night is that we had a mixture of objectives: I thought we should have an event that encourages new players while still being a fun chance for veterans to run different kinds of builds. But I guess Rabidsquaw envisioned an event that prioritized the teaching of players who were brand new to pvp, and didn't care about veterans at all (which was upsetting to me because no one communicated it beforehand).
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Regarding no devices and maybe even certain powers...it's important for the pvp crowd to remember what the main goal here is. We're looking to get new players interested in pvp.

We already have a huge advantage in terms of experience and gear, not to mention the fact that many newcomers will be showing up with pve builds.

For 2 hours per week, try something other than the regular set of powers common to pvp.

Just for 2 hours be a newb and play out of your comfort zone...because if you're not willing to do even that then how do you expect any new player to do it for you.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    That's what we did on Saturday, and it worked out pretty well, even in spite of the kick bug.

I think we should split into different kinds of events. The problem with last night is that we had a mixture of objectives: I thought we should have an event that encourages new players while still being a fun chance for veterans to run different kinds of builds. But I guess Rabidsquaw envisioned an event that prioritized the teaching of players who were brand new to pvp, and didn't care about veterans at all (which was upsetting to me because no one communicated it beforehand).

Maybe have one of the days be an event hosted and run by you and have another day hosted and run by Rab.

I don't think anyone meant to ignore anyone. It's just that we're all new to this and it will take a few frustrating tries to get it right. But it's worth it.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    kamokami wrote: »
    Regarding no devices and maybe even certain powers...it's important for the pvp crowd to remember what the main goal here is. We're looking to get new players interested in pvp.

We already have a huge advantage in terms of experience and gear, not to mention the fact that many newcomers will be showing up with pve builds.

For 2 hours per week, try something other than the regular set of powers common to pvp.

Just for 2 hours be a newb and play out of your comfort zone...because if you're not willing to do even that then how do you expect any new player to do it for you.

Still though bringing the well known celebrity type PvE RP players onto the scene in some way would help much more than anything. Just think how many followers some of them have, as long as the people are 40 they should be able to all come join in, I'll even hold back on the SR unless it's against a super tank. ;) Pure rimefire controller GO! (I could maybe switch ascension out for something like ice blast or another ice power sometimes )
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Also, does anyone know if it would be possible to get people such as caliga and theravenforce involved in this in any way, as long as we keep the level of the builds used in it down and both teams have a healer, plus caliga is pretty tanky other than the fact he needs devices. ;) It just may get more people involved is all I'm thinking.

Caliga kind of got pissed at it for a while. And build wise I've pretty much witnessed the same stuff as usual which left a stale taste in general.

Think of it this way: The day a build like Brou or Kaiserin gets to be a good and solid pick for a team comp, then PvP will be in a rather good spot and people will eventually crowd in. It is so hard to get there too, and radical measures will just get us to look ridiculous, it's just dependant of the goodwill of the more 'hardcore' PvP'ers.

For my part I have alot of characters I'm really eager to use.

• Options
    gfnotaku1gfnotaku1 Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Caliga kind of got pissed at it for a while. And build wise I've pretty much witnessed the same stuff as usual which left a stale taste in general.

Think of it this way: The day a build like Brou or Kaiserin gets to be a good and solid pick for a team comp, then PvP will be in a rather good spot and people will eventually crowd in. It is so hard to get there too, and radical measures will just get us to look ridiculous, it's just dependant of the goodwill of the more 'hardcore' PvP'ers.

The way I see it is like in Gundam: Battle Operation and Gundam: 0081 (...did my lame points just increase? ._.)

Usually the lobbies for PvP come with limiters saying not to use certain Mobile Suits because they are indeed WAY too powerful and it'd really end up being a game of who can one-shot who first (AKA: Call of Duty 4 and later.) The thing is that no one can actually enforce these rules and it's dependent on YOU actually following it. A majority of the time people will accept it and listen and have fun, but you always get that one person/group who goes out in a Jaeger and massacres everyone.

It's human nature to be the best. So not saying it's not worth it, just saying to expect seeing those people who find it hard to limit themselves.
    This post is brought to you by:
    Villain-Mart, the only shopping franchise that caters to that diabolic need. This week at Villain-Mart, save 2 dollars on smoke machines when you shop with your CrimeCard and get buy-one-get-one-free on henchmen and scientists. Villain-Mart! You might be criminal, but our prices aren't!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

You aren't really criticizing our builds, you are criticizing us. You don't like the veterans, you wish we would go away. There is nothing about my build that I could change that would satisfy you.