test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

wanna join an SG but what does RP mean? sorry for the question.

kpdjkpdj Posts: 5 Arc User
im planning to join an SG and im seeing a lot of "RP"'s in this recruitment page. i mean, i know what it stands for(role playing) but what does it mean? thanks in advance guys!:smile:
Post edited by kpdj on

Comments

• Options
    thatguymatikzthatguymatikz Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    RP = Roleplay
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I think that it means that the super group expects you to roleplay your character, that you talk as your character would and when you the user need to say something to use the OOC tag, and to engage with roleplay with other guild mates.

Or I might be wrong.

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    rexcelestisrexcelestis Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    kpdj wrote: »
    im planning to join an SG and im seeing a lot of "RP"'s in this recruitment page. i mean, i know what it stands for(role playing) but what does it mean? thanks in advance guys!:smile:

Role playing refers creating and playing out a character. How it relates to a supergroup largely depends on the group itself. Light RP groups might expect conversations to stay in character, with occasional OOC lapses. Heavy RP groups might expect a higher level of involvement, more time in character, participation in ongoing storylines, etc.

Does that help?
    a
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    And if you'd like to try it, I'd suggest a Light Rp group first or maybe ask someone for some causal Rp.

In mission RP [as in roleplaying the chatter during a mission, Whiteout is a fun one to do that with] is good practice

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    joybuzzerxjoybuzzerx Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't let the heavy or light wording scare you off. Looking for a SG (RP or not) you'll want the same thing...a group of people you can OOCly (out of characterly) get along with.

Better to be a light RPer hanging with a heavy RPer (or vice versa) you get along with OOC than someone you try to tolerate just because you're in the same SG :p

Besides that, heavy and light have so many different definitions, not to mention there's heavy RPers who don't for instance want to RP while running missions (RPing and running missions will extend the time of a mission...a lot).

My advice. Pick a SG, see if you like them :D
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Roleplay is very big in champions and probably over half the playerbase or more roleplay a lot of the time. I think it was said earlier, join an SG that you think will have some people who you'll get on with in and see if it works out. If you feel it isn't for you move on. Basically roleplay is a lot like the game 'dungeons and dragons' or the pen and paper game which this game is based upon. I myself don't RP but I'm fine with people doing it as long as they don't go over the top, I find that some people get too involved in it. So much so it is almost like it overtakes their real life. But ofcourse that is another story, just join what you'll enjoy being in.

Ka ka!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Role playing refers creating and playing out a character. How it relates to a supergroup largely depends on the group itself. Light RP groups might expect conversations to stay in character, with occasional OOC lapses. Heavy RP groups might expect a higher level of involvement, more time in character, participation in ongoing storylines, etc.

Does that help?

^ Pretty much this.

Role playing is quite a large part (for me anyway) of the CO experience. Generally RPSG's will vary in the level of RP they require from their members.

Light RP is a good way to start out, things like:

- Casual Conversation

- Emotions being shown e.g. "Roy frowns slightly as the thug slowly pulls out a bladed weapon."

Most of the SG's I have been in which are dedicated to RP have an Out Of Character (OOC) channel which members join to speak to each other normally. Usually SG channel, Local and Team are used for In Character (IC) chat, where you would converse with them as if you were speaking like your character.

There are different types of Role Play which go on in Champions Online (which do not necessarily require you to participate in them to RP), it is unlikely that an SG will require you to be an active participant in other forms of RP like ERP (Erotic Role Play), PvPRP etc but those kinds of RP do exist.

RPers make use of different locations in and around CO to carry out role play. For example:

- Club Caprice (A good place to meet some good RPers, but also can be a disturbing place and a centre of godmodding, forced ERP and other nasty things. Bar/Disco Club Scene.)

- Sherra's Bar (Bar Scene. Dueling is allowed, sort of where thugs (like Maniacs and Cobra Lords hang out)

- MCPD Armoury (Good for Military toons, or toons who just like weapons and vehicles. Has a mini shooting range as well.)

- Mystic Foundry (Nice for Mystic/Magic/Enchanted characters, quite serene)

- Great Beast Book Store (After you clear out level 27 DEMON NPCs, it is a nice library)

- Science Labs (Good-ish for Tech/Science toons.) <--It is just a shame Cambridge Bio Tech Labs isn't back Q_Q

- Sakura Park (Surprisingly nice area of green for Millennium City, also doubles as a mini invasion site for Lemurians, but it is very beautiful)

- SS Bayou Ship (Party Scene for the more "upper class" orientated, but is usually quite quiet)

Little Vid I found which shows some of the SS Bayou Ship Interior (Also happens to be the trailer for Heroic Formal Wear :p)

- WCOC Building (TV Station Instance, I've used it in the past with some of the SG's I've been in and handled myself to set the stage for Interviews or TV appearances)

Just to name a few, these locations are great for starting RP as well as RPing Adventure Packs like Resistance, Serpent Lantern and Demonflame, as well as Comic Series like Whiteout, Aftershock and the recently added Fatal Err0r two part missions. (So you'd act in character in these locations)
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I ERP'd once. I cried myself to sleep.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!