test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Primus Database down and gone.

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
edited September 2013 in Fan Base Alpha
It should be announced to the general public that PDB site is down and it is very unlikely to return.
Hosting service went down without any notice. The whole thing was announced on CORP forums, I merely writing it here so people who aren't using CORP boards may know it as well.

Old PDB backup page http://www.mediumsizedrobot.com/primusdatabase.com/ is still accessible so it's a good time to grab your backups and maybe start either a completely new PDB replacement, or private sites for your own characters.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    What the hell?!

Can they not at least put it up for a short while to allow us to take our page information?!

Thank you very much for stating this, I would not have known otherwise...I have been trying to load it but nothing was happening. At least I know why now.

EDIT: Just realised I've lost Joule and Techna Ology from my sig's character line up...isn't there anyone who could do the hosting for us? Even if it is on a one week basis or so to allow people to get copies of their existing pages?
  • Options
    benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Wow that really sucks. I have an older back up of Rugby's page, but I made some layout changes that I hadnt backed up yet. I hope somebody can figure it all out. Would be a shame to see it go completely.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    There's no way to retrieve backups at all. All signs point to the hosting service just folding shop and running.

However, Google does make occasional visits of the site. To look for that information (and grab the text potions of it (as Google doesn't do image backups)), do the following:

Google up: Primus Database YourCharacterName

You'll see a down arrow next to the link to your page. Click that, then select Cached.

Give it about 45-60 seconds (as it's still trying to grab the page from the defunct site), and Google's saved version will pop up. You'll see a date stamp on the top showing when the page was cached.

Copy/paste into Notepad or something.

However - the CORP forums are looking into a replacement for the PDB. I'm hoping for the best that we see a quick solution.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    EDIT: Bob ninjaed me, so I removed the redundant info. Here's the link to u4's post on the issue.

http://championsonlineroleplayers.shivtr.com/forum_threads/1541632?post=8363962#forum_post_8363962

I'm feeling really sorry for people like Bluhman and Gillfigno who had dozens of articles up on the site.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    Ouch, wow... I know the database means a lot to people, I'm sorry it was the victim of what looks like a scummy, sudden folding of the hosting company.
  • Options
    gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have backups of all the pictures, but I don't have most of the HTML I did. :rolleyes: If anyone makes a new wiki I'll be there to help, but wow this sucks.
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Co's Bio repository : 2 server transfers needed, and counting.

MEANWHILE...
    to be fair I haven't been part of virtueverse for years, so they might've had to make plenty of transfers over the ages. It's certainly a whole lot more 'up' than PDB is, though!
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    However, Google does make occasional visits of the site. To look for that information (and grab the text potions of it (as Google doesn't do image backups)), do the following:

Google up: Primus Database YourCharacterName

You'll see a down arrow next to the link to your page. Click that, then select Cached.

Give it about 45-60 seconds (as it's still trying to grab the page from the defunct site), and Google's saved version will pop up. You'll see a date stamp on the top showing when the page was cached.

Copy/paste into Notepad or something.

However - the CORP forums are looking into a replacement for the PDB. I'm hoping for the best that we see a quick solution.

Thank you VERY VERY much for this, I've managed to get the information I needed. Very grateful, I hope a replacement comes along soon!!
  • Options
    gillfignofignogillfignofigno Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I don't know much about site hosting, but would wikia be all right? I stated a wikia for my characters at least...http://until-database.wikia.com/. I can grant admin rights to any of the primus admins if we decide to go with it. If not, I'll just use it for my characters in case this happens again there will be a back up.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I get the general impression that people don't like Wikia all that much because of all the advertisements and the stories of getting malware off of it.
    ----
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This saddens me.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    zydrateomyzydrateomy Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    epelesker wrote: »
    I get the general impression that people don't like Wikia all that much because of all the advertisements and the stories of getting malware off of it.

I host a wikia for some lore of mine. I don't think I get malware unless I'm dumb enough to click the ads. And I'm not.
  • Options
    deadofpool11deadofpool11 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Well that.
    Really sucks.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    This is very disheartening. I have been following what has been happening on the CORP forums for a while incognito, and assumed that it would rectify itself in time. I and a friend of mine spent a good amount of time on Caliga's PDB and now it's gonna go in a poof of smoke. I hope things work out. I have a sad face under this helmet :frown:
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Only good I see from this is that I can finally redo my mains PDB page. Seriously out of date and needs too many tweeks, the only reasonable course of action would be to start from scratch again. Don't get me wrong I loved the PDB, reading other players profiles of their characters. Hope a replacement comes back soon.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    How much bandwidth does Primus use every month? I could probably host the whole site and one-click install MediaWiki. I don't know what crap host you used, but I've been with the same company for 12+ years. If you'd rather not take me up on my offer, at least look at Dreamhost. You can click a button to install MediaWiki. Or choose from a bunch of other software. I was lazy and just let them install Wordpress and PhpBB for me.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
  • Options
    diplomacymandiplomacyman Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Oh that sucks, been getting into the page of the months and I liked just clicking on a random page every now and then. If it doesn't make it back then a big thanks to all the staff who kept it running all this time. Sigh, never even finished Exray's page...
  • Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,431 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Sounds like something PWE should step up to the plate to handle:wink: Come on TT, you know it's the right thing to do for the community.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    This is very disheartening. I have been following what has been happening on the CORP forums for a while incognito, and assumed that it would rectify itself in time. I and a friend of mine spent a good amount of time on Caliga's PDB and now it's gonna go in a poof of smoke. I hope things work out. I have a sad face under this helmet :frown:

Well, at least Google still has a cached copy of it. Grab it while you can.

And as for everyone else - options are being looked at to bring the PDB back. We want it around as much as the rest of you do.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    http://www.wiki-site.com/index.php/Wiki_Creation_-_Create_A_Wiki_For_Free%21

This site is amazing. Just, fyi. It's wysiwyg, supports wiki coding and html, uploads, and the ads are rather unobtrusive.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    There's still talk going on about what's going to happen next with PDb.

Nothing's concrete as of yet, but we do have this...

Bide your time, and hold out hope.
    ----
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Just a heads up:

1) Google's cached copies might be newer now. And you might have to search for it directly, too. Googling up for 'Primus Database Razira' only turned up the edit page, while Googling up primusdatabase.com/index.php?title=Razira gave me an updated cache (dated 8/25 instead of the 8/20 copy I had before).

2) Things are moving along in getting the PDB back up again. Hopefully there will be some very good news about this soon.