test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3 New Heroes Games Are Coming

2»

Comments

• voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    If they don't matter to you, then why are you arguing?
    Because the thread is titled "3 New Heroes Games Are Coming" not "A thread to flame someone who isn't even on these forums". This "Golden Girl" person does not matter to me, but that doesn't mean your dismissal of a project involving her doesn't matter to me... I found the fact that you "corrected" the OP's statement that there were 3 projects, based on your hatred of someone involved, to be fallacious and said so... and am continuing to say so.

I'm pretty sure even you, with your burning hate for this lady, would try the game she and her team put together, if it ever got finished, which I doubt it will. I doubt it will not because of that woman, but because I doubt ANY of them will see the light of day. It's the nature of such projects.
    Someone lecturing about statistics in another thread shouldn't be a stranger to the concept of probability.

But apparently you are.
    Oh no, I have a very firm grasp of statistics and probability (two different topics, btw). How many examples of these "community hero mmo" projects do we know of.... 3? How many of them have been completed... 0? How many projects do we know of that have your nemesis involved... 1? What probabilities are we working with exactly? What's our data set and how are you claiming to see a trend other than "so far we haven't seen squat from anybody"?

Everything you're saying is totally subjective and based on your hate for this lady. Your hate is not statistical power, nomatter what the Emperor might tell you.
    But now that you've suggested the idea to me, my curiosity is piqued because a remark like that can be seen as "conspicuous denial."

Oh my, the thread has gotten more interesting.
    Subtle. I guess now's the time we put on the tinfoil hats, right?
    But apparently it really means a lot to you. I mean really, if you thought all of these things had no chance at all, then it really shouldn't matter to you what I think of one of them.
    I don't like logical fallacy or misuse of statistics. I don't care about your personal issues with some lady on a game that doesn't even exist anymore... that's a YOU thing, not a ME thing... I do care that the bitterness is leading you to logical fallacy, and that you think I should let you run rampant with your logical fallacies just because I don't have a stake in your malice toward that person.
    It's my personal assessment of Golden Girl's past behavior that Heroes & Villains is the least likely of the three vaporware projects to ever see probable fruition simply because she's more likely to drive her volunteers away in the long run.
    Awesome - lets append that as a correction to your original correction then, now that you've figured out that your own issues with the woman are subjective, not objective, and that the OP didn't require an actual correction! :)
    gamehobo wrote:
    Oh have no doubt, I sincerely want CO to close down, it would make finding funding much easier.
    Well, if CO was as dead as you seem to imply, it wouldn't be an obstacle to finding funding. The only reason people would consider CO's operation to be a drawback is if they think your own project is unlikely to outcompete it. I bet that's a kick in the pride for folks who feel they're chock full 'o great ideas.

Your statement does, however, make you seem a wee bit less personally objective than pretty much anybody else in these discussions. Even the majority of folks who are declaring that this game is dying are of the mindset that they'd like to see the trend they imagine exists... reversed.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    So, having said this, why do you think the devs will ever believe anything you have to say about your beloved Telepathy? You want CO to close; ergo, it seems easy to believe that your every criticism is in fact an attempt to sabotage this game.

I don't think he heard you, Jon. Tinnitus is an unfortunate side effect of repeated banhammering. I'd like to say that I was looking forward to the new level of self-proclaimed martyrdom he'd achieve on his return, but A) not really, and B) after confessing that he works for a competitor, it ought to be a perma-ban this time.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Because the thread is titled "3 New Heroes Games Are Coming" not "A thread to flame someone who isn't even on these forums". This "Golden Girl" person does not matter to me, but that doesn't mean your dismissal of a project involving her doesn't matter to me... I found the fact that you "corrected" the OP's statement that there were 3 projects, based on your hatred of someone involved, to be fallacious and said so... and am continuing to say so.

Wow, that's a very labored attempt to circle around your claimed apathy.

"Honestly, guys, this Golden Girl doesn't matter to me. But seriously, how less likely you consider her project than the others totally does because... WELL BECAUSE! It's not like they'll ever come to fruition anyway, but how dare you dismiss hers completely! But I don't care about her or Jack or their doggies. Honest!"

It doesn't inspire much confidence in your arguments. You clearly have an emotional attachment to my opinion and I'm finding that frankly pathetic.
    I'm pretty sure even you, with your burning hate for this lady, would try the game she and her team put together, if it ever got finished, which I doubt it will.

No.
    Oh no, I have a very firm grasp of statistics and probability (two different topics, btw).

And both introduced during the K-12 program of basic mathematics, which is why I expected you to be familiar with it since statistical research requires basic mathematical skills.

I have yet to be convinced that you know what you're talking about now.
    How many examples of these "community hero mmo" projects do we know of.... 3? How many of them have been completed... 0? How many projects do we know of that have your nemesis involved... 1? What probabilities are we working with exactly? What's our data set and how are you claiming to see a trend other than "so far we haven't seen squat from anybody"?

Actually a simple Google search would provide you with the fact that we've been provided with data.

Phoenix Project has an approaching Kickstarter in the works: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/07/29/a-kickstarter-for-the-city-of-heroes-mmorpg-phoenix-project-starts-september-8th/

It also has an apparently rudimentary, functioning Zone map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_QaTtDcfSs
    http://indiegraph.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/1.png
    http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2013/01/coh-postinterview-3-epl-108.jpg

Valiance Online apparently already has a fully funded pre-Alpha as seen on their page: http://valiance.shogn.net/

It also seems to have a more professional studio behind it. Only time will tell if it comes to fruition or they just take the money and run.

But Golden Girl's Heroes & Villains?

All I see is her concept artwork done in her 3-D posing software: http://goldengirlcoh.tumblr.com/
    Everything you're saying is totally subjective and based on your hate for this lady. Your hate is not statistical power, nomatter what the Emperor might tell you.

I'm not the only one who dislikes her, bucko. Ask an average resident of CoH's old message board what they think of her. That will very much work against her regardless of what you insist.
    Subtle. I guess now's the time we put on the tinfoil hats, right?

I don't like logical fallacy or misuse of statistics. I don't care about your personal issues with some lady on a game that doesn't even exist anymore... that's a YOU thing, not a ME thing... I do care that the bitterness is leading you to logical fallacy, and that you think I should let you run rampant with your logical fallacies just because I don't have a stake in your malice toward that person.

"Honest! God! Gee whiz. Believe me, okay?"

No, your obsession over this very much makes it a you thing.
    Awesome - lets append that as a correction to your original correction then, now that you've figured out that your own issues with the woman are subjective, not objective, and that the OP didn't require an actual correction! :)

Actually I knew from the start that it was my opinion:
    Correction; two new games. I won't even consider anything led by that witch Golden Girl.
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I thought this thread was going to be about 3 new Hero Games types that were being added to CO... I was dissapoint :<
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    None of these three games are in anyway shape or form a threat to CO. CO will be closed down long before any of them are even finished.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'm not the only one who dislikes her, bucko. Ask an average resident of CoH's old message board what they think of her. That will very much work against her regardless of what you insist.

As one of the aforementioned residents of those old message boards, I'll just toss in a confirmation on this point. Golden Girl is infamous among former CoH message board users. Enough so that even I - who was but a casual lurker 99% of the time noticed it.

Woman has the mind of a steel trap. Everything that goes in gets crushed and mangled.
  • lovehammer1lovehammer1 Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    None of these three games are in anyway shape or form a threat to CO. CO will be closed down long before any of them are even finished.

Ohh. OK. Thanks for the heads up!
    So... what, 5-7 years? Cool. I was wondering. And since you know the future, who is our next president?

Thanks in advance.
  • voodoopokeyvoodoopokey Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    It doesn't inspire much confidence in your arguments. You clearly have an emotional attachment to my opinion and I'm finding that frankly pathetic.
    I object heavily to someone making their subjective opinion out to be a firmly objective fact, which is exactly what you did when you said "Correction. Two projects". If you want to retract that part of your original statement then I'll be peachy with it... I don't care if you want to hate some woman from a forum of a game that doesnt exist anymore. I care that you try to reinforce your subjective world-view in ways like you did on page 1.
    And both introduced during the K-12 program of basic mathematics, which is why I expected you to be familiar with it since statistical research requires basic mathematical skills.
    Statistics isn't part of the secondary school curriculum. Maybe you're thinking of permutations and combinations... or maybe you just assumed it was because you didn't get as far as grade 12 mathematics? Either way... statistics is a post-secondary topic.

I'll also mention that while 20 years ago you might have been expected to do a lot of math when taking statistics, there isn't much of that anymore - nobody runs the numbers by hand what with the fact that we've got computers that can do it faster and more reliably. Instead, you learn which functions apply to various situations, and which variations of those statistical analyses should be used when. You also learn how to design studies to avoid blaring confounds, and how to recognize those confounds in general.
    I have yet to be convinced that you know what you're talking about now.
    And how would you figure that out, considering you have no first-hand knowledge of the topic? Run back and forth between these threads and wikipedia to check if the keywords you see when you skim articles on topics well beyond your understanding are present?

Lucky for you (or for me, in your estimation) this topic is not statistics related other than your constant assertion that "everybody hates this lady, so when we have to take a vote for mayor of whocaresville, she won't get elected!".
    Valiance Online apparently already has a fully funded pre-Alpha as seen on their page: http://valiance.shogn.net/
    With a funding goal of $450, they're ready to start their pre-Alpha... Alpha is development... so after collecting what amounts to pocket change they're ready to do the stuff that comes before making anything! You're right, that's so much more than concept art.... herp derp.
    Phoenix Project has an approaching Kickstarter in the works: http://siliconangle.com/blog/2013/07...september-8th/
    So they're having a pre-alpha of their own! They're getting ready to try to get funding, to start developing.... and we're only A YEAR past the closing of the place they want to carry on the legacy of.

I guess I'm just baffled that I'm the only person who finds all of it uproariously funny. It's like three guys with no climbing gear looking up at Mount Everest... one of them is 6'4, one is 6'2, and one is 5'11... and then deciding the 5'11 guy is less likely to reach the top because the other two are already closer to the summit.

Your dislike of some lady involved in one of the projects in a list of projects that are all at square one and pretty much assured to get nowhere... does not make it less likely to succeed, nor does it make it less "real" of a project than the others. It's just that simple. Your "correction" on page one was snotty; but more importantly it was fallacious.
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I guess I'm just baffled that I'm the only person who finds all of it uproariously funny. It's like three guys with no climbing gear looking up at Mount Everest... one of them is 6'4, one is 6'2, and one is 5'11... and then deciding the 5'11 guy is less likely to reach the top because the other two are already closer to the summit.

I wouldn't say that I find the situation funny, but I do love your analogy.

For what its worth I would play a game developed by someone I personally dislike if the game was fun. I've seen enough spite tossed Jack Emmert's way by people who play CO to know that many others would as well.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I'd play the one with GG in it if it actually miraculously got made. For one thing, it'd mean that very likely someone else is in charge.

The Everest analogy would be more like 'a naked guy, a guy baked out of his mind, and a guy we just shot in the leg.'
    I think the guy has much worse chances of reaching the top, but I'd lay money on finding three sets of bones somewhere up the mountain.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    looks at all the flames and calls the fire brigade " we got a big one going here, send everything"
    Black-footed-ferret-infant_zpsa1416a05.jpg
    just ferreting around for things to read
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I object heavily to someone making their subjective opinion out to be a firmly objective fact, which is exactly what you did when you said "Correction. Two projects". If you want to retract that part of your original statement then I'll be peachy with it... I don't care if you want to hate some woman from a forum of a game that doesnt exist anymore. I care that you try to reinforce your subjective world-view in ways like you did on page 1.

Here we go again. It's soooooooooooooooo important to you that I have to acknowledge her proposed game. It's like you have a bet riding on trying to change my mind or something.

"Golden Girl is IMPORTANT DAMN YOU KOJIRO!!...Except she's not, honest."
    Statistics isn't part of the secondary school curriculum. Maybe you're thinking of permutations and combinations... or maybe you just assumed it was because you didn't get as far as grade 12 mathematics? Either way... statistics is a post-secondary topic.

Really? Then I must have hallucinated that frustrating week that we had to draw graphs and things in high school.
    I'll also mention that while 20 years ago you might have been expected to do a lot of math when taking statistics, there isn't much of that anymore - nobody runs the numbers by hand what with the fact that we've got computers that can do it faster and more reliably. Instead, you learn which functions apply to various situations, and which variations of those statistical analyses should be used when. You also learn how to design studies to avoid blaring confounds, and how to recognize those confounds in general.

Hahahahaha! So you're all talk, because if what you claim were true then we have a bunch of budding statisticians that don't know how the roots of their trade work. I'll admit that I only took my mandatory math classes, but I at least paid enough attention to know you're full of ****.

Either your school wasn't very good (which is shocking as I thought my school was appallingly bad) or you're simply a dropout.
    And how would you figure that out, considering you have no first-hand knowledge of the topic? Run back and forth between these threads and wikipedia to check if the keywords you see when you skim articles on topics well beyond your understanding are present?

Lucky for you (or for me, in your estimation) this topic is not statistics related other than your constant assertion that "everybody hates this lady, so when we have to take a vote for mayor of whocaresville, she won't get elected!".

No, you're lucky that Arcanaville isn't here. Yeah, mathematics wasn't my best topic, but it's clear it isn't yours either, Mr. "I Rely On My Computer." If Arcanaville was here (man I wish she was), she'd run circles around you to really expose the tool that you are.

She actually knew numbers and could crunch out statistics and probabilities in no time flat.

Anyone from CoH know which game she went to after NCSoft axed it?

If you're really a statistics guy (which is now obvious you're not at this point), I gave you data... so get crunching:
    With a funding goal of $450, they're ready to start their pre-Alpha... Alpha is development... so after collecting what amounts to pocket change they're ready to do the stuff that comes before making anything! You're right, that's so much more than concept art.... herp derp.

So they're having a pre-alpha of their own! They're getting ready to try to get funding, to start developing.... and we're only A YEAR past the closing of the place they want to carry on the legacy of.

Your dislike of some lady involved in one of the projects in a list of projects that are all at square one and pretty much assured to get nowhere... does not make it less likely to succeed, nor does it make it less "real" of a project than the others. It's just that simple. Your "correction" on page one was snotty; but more importantly it was fallacious.

Oh, you didn't... because you're bull****ting because you can't actually do statistical analysis or probability work because you're just an armchair know-it-all like the rest of us.

I bet Arcanaville could have done it.

(Honestly, guys, someone drag her here.)
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited August 2013
    Ehh, locking thread for flaming.
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    You so didn't.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Yes he did!
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.