test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unwritten rules written by paragon a few months back.

mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
edited August 2013 in The Hero Games
Okay guys, I feel that there are some old players returning that were not around for our attempt to bring life to pvp which actually ended up failing but that's another story. A few months back paragon posted this thread:

http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=216931

I think that his words are still relevant today, please keep this stupid AE / spectre - DC war out of bash and lets create a FFA where we go for the top players to try and make the games close. Thankyou, and try not to troll this thread too hard. If you cba to go to that thread here is what Wesley said:
I think perhaps we should consider repopulating Hero Games and from my experience these last 2 nights, I think all the participants found it fun as long as we keep to some basic rules which I wish to propose.

Firstly, do not wait for others to call for queues. Anyone can request and ask other players to queue for hero games. Call out in COPvP or main. Ask players who are duelling in RenCen all the time to queue up for HG.

Name the specific HG you want people to queue for. Do one at a time because we may not have enough queuing for more than 1 HG at a time.

No hunting/farming of squishies or ATs (avoid targetting them, collateral damage OTH is inevitable if they do not know how to avoid).

No trash/smack talking before, during or after the game whether you win or lose. End all games with a GG.

UTC - Sometimes the draw of the straw does not give balance, self-moderate so that if a team is too weak one player from the stronger team can hold back.

KotH - Do not take the hill until both sides have more or less even number of people loaded in. This can be done by waiting at the entrance of the dome. Just need someone to coordinate when to start the fight.

ZA - if zombie is too weak, 1 or 2 other person may choose to switch over.

Stronghold - do not kill both bosses too fast so that more fighting can take place

BASH - rather than trying to get the most number of kills in the shortest time, always go after the top 2 on the chart (when there are more people of course). Do not gank for personal reasons/vendettas.

Do not request people to keep queuing the same HG, switch around for variety. Different players and toons may excel better at different games.

If the bug kicks you out, just keep re-queuing and try again. If you just can't get in, wait for the next game.

Remember, the acclaims are hardly useful. Might as well let the game be fun for everyone.

I keep seeing people (quite a few have clearly dedicated PvP builds) duelling but these people do not queue for HG. Let's make HG appealing for more people since the devs will not. Also, personal ego, SG wars (ganking) do not help make PvP fun so please check those at the door before entering the game.
Post edited by mrhinkypunk on

Comments

• Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I can't wait for about 70% of the rest of people to just break these rules because they can.

• Options
    stergiosmanstergiosman Posts: 717 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Perhaps make it a sticky?
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ZA - if zombie is too weak, 1 or 2 other person may choose to switch over.
    Let me renewal this.
    wrote:
    ZA - if zombie is too weak, yell "HEEEEELP" to COPvP channel and some deadly ppl come to help you.
    BRAAAAAAAAAAINZ
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I miss wes, even if he felt the need to constantly play with himself.
  • Options
    isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    The bash rule fails every time someone proposes it, because a lot of us use BASH as an extended dueling arena. BASH has many advantages over duels and team duels. Treating BASH as a competitive game is actually a terrible way to play: it just means competing to farm the weakest players as much as possible, and also using AoEs to tag as many points as possible. The points in BASH shouldn't ever matter, because the way they are assigned is silly.

The truth about BASH is that the devs designed it to be this game's small slice of free-for-all PvP. In the wider MMO genre, free-for-all pvp games always involve plenty of mob mentality, and groups that rule by anything-goes expressions of in-game might. The BASH we have is what the devs intended it to be.

If I offered a rule for BASH, it would be: ignore the score, focus on having interesting fights with individuals and groups. If a fight is not interesting (either because you beat them easily, they beat you easily, stalemate, or in anyway unpleasant for either party) then both heroes /groups of heroes should mutually part ways.
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    isometry wrote: »
    The points in BASH shouldn't ever matter, because the way they are assigned is silly.

If I offered a rule for BASH, it would be: ignore the score, focus on having interesting fights with individuals and groups.

This stuff above. The problem with Bash is that new (and some not-so-new) players don't know this yet. They do what the game tells them to: "Get dat points breh. Ya even lift?"

When the game congratulates you on winning it probably doesn't realize that, most of the time, what it's really saying is, "Good job! In this match, you were the best at tagging people and feeding on the weakest!"
  • Options
    spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    quit trying to tell people what to do. if you want to follow these rules, great, lead by example, just don't beat yourself up if nobody else follows your example. bash is no rules, no holds barred, and the only way to enforce any sort of order is by mob rule, which ironicalicaly means you have to break those same rules in the OP in order to enforce them! and even then, sometimes the mob just isn't fast enough to catch the evil little rules breaker.

its like the other night when I was being spawn camped. The person doing it was so fast that nobody could do anything about it. People tried racing to the spawn to "defend" me from the spawncamper, but she was still too fast lol. guess who got to decide what the rules of bash were on that day? the little girl with the big sword. she was actually so good at it that people, feeling helpless to stop her, actually tried to stop me from queing! I didn't care tho, i just kept right on queing, and a few times I actually managed to kill her before she got me, and I am pretty happy with that. it was more ironicalicaly: the only person not complaining about me being spawn camped was me! :D I'm da best! *SR'd*

Bash is freeform pvp in a freeform game. it is absoloute and total chaos, and you either ride the wave or leave the beach. If you don't like what you see happening in bash, then que for something else! Maybe ZA? :3
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Nice story, got anything on topic?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    When did everything become about BASH? 0.o

The idea of this is to invite people into all of pvp, not only bash. Some of you guys have been around for a long time, have you simply given up on trying to get more people to pvp?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

The idea of this is to invite people into all of pvp, not only bash. Some of you guys have been around for a long time, have you simply given up on trying to get more people to pvp?

Yes, because the same bunch fockrs keep driving them away. And good news, this bunch just came back yesterday after a long break.

Also, BASH isn't the problem, all the Hero Games are affected, they all can be ruined the same way.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    Yes, because the same bunch fockrs keep driving them away. And good news, this bunch just came back yesterday after a long break.

Also, BASH isn't the problem, all the Hero Games are affected, they all can be ruined the same way.

Who are those fockrs and can you be sure that if they leave, the newcomers will be more?
    I mean, this game is dieing and subsequently PvP is dieing with it, expecting dozens of new players to come and PvP here would be illogical, no?
  • Options
    kamokamikamokami Posts: 1,633 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    When it became the only thing that popped. The auto-kick bug has done more to destroy PvP than any player or piece gear could.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kamokami wrote: »
    When it became the only thing that popped. The auto-kick bug has done more to destroy PvP than any player or piece gear could.

You only had to check the option in the server list and for the most part it's done.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Nice story, got anything on topic?

Yes, my entire post. and thank you :3 i also think it is a pretty great story
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kamokami wrote: »

Yeah as forz said you only need to tick 'always let me choose what instance I go to' and you don't get kicked out. It's stupid that it get's suddenly fixed like that IMO. -_-
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Seriously?

Huh, no wonder I never got hit with it. I always have that checked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    isometryisometry Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Other things that caused the decline of Stronghold and UTC are the increased requirements for popping the queue (it takes at least 8 players, it used to pop with as few as 4 players), the immune turrets in SH, and legion gear killing alt variety.

No, it's not like that. Check out the stickied guide to Stronghold pvp in this forum. It's this thread written by Vixy 2.5 years ago. Even just a glance shows how much effort he put into enticing new players to PvP. Nothing has changed about that, I would love for lots of people to get back into Stronghold.

If we want to recover a larger pvp community, the most important thing is to go back to playing sub-optimal semi-themed builds. Stepping away from the fotm. This doesn't mean finding a creative new way to use ice grenades, it means being weak, so that more players have a chance to beat us. Before legion gear, I had 5 different characters who I regularly PvPed with, and none of them were all out min-maxed like all of us are now.
  • Options
    iceih03iceih03 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Who are those fockrs and can you be sure that if they leave, the newcomers will be more?
    I mean, this game is dieing and subsequently PvP is dieing with it, expecting dozens of new players to come and PvP here would be illogical, no?

It is not illogical, the PvP players are minority in the player base, tempting PvE players to join will increase the numbers.

My personal situation is that I used to PvP a lot and got tired of specific things that ruin my fun. I do not care if it is a modification in the game mechanic or player made rules, but if the things are solved or at least improved, I would be back to PvP frequently.

Yesterday I queued and played an UTC match and have fun, and I did queue just because I had read this thread.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    PvP is like bicycle. A grandpa is needed at first to keep you balanced, then some day he stops helpin' u and you understand you can do it by yourself! Then you and your grandpa begin battling over who can ride the bike, till the bike breaks and your exhausted grandpa dies of heart attack.

Send this message to 10 friends of yours in 10 minutes or a serial killer will steal your bike tonight.

Wait what?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    PvP is like bicycle. A grandpa is needed at first to keep you balanced, then some day he stops helpin' u and you understand you can do it by yourself! Then you and your grandpa begin battling over who can ride the bike, till the bike breaks and your exhausted grandpa dies of heart attack.

Send this message to 10 friends of yours in 10 minutes or a serial killer will steal your bike tonight.

Wait what?

You forgot the part where your grandpa whacks you over the head with the bike and then brags about it :3
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    You forgot the part where your grandpa whacks you over the head with the bike and then brags about it :3

Yesh! And just when u surrender, your grandma comes...
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    One thing Wes understood was that in order to generate fresh interest in pvp, you needed to dig into your own pockets and host events to encourage people who normally don't pvp from trying it out. You'd also inadvertently have to bar any pvp regular from competing.

If someone really wants to bring pvp back, this is what it will take since there is no real reward in acclaim, which was once one of the biggest reasons people bothered with pvp at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Man my bike was gone I had to get back home on foot.

So what's going on now?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    secksegai wrote: »
    One thing Wes understood was that in order to generate fresh interest in pvp, you needed to dig into your own pockets and host events to encourage people who normally don't pvp from trying it out. You'd also inadvertently have to bar any pvp regular from competing.

If someone really wants to bring pvp back, this is what it will take since there is no real reward in acclaim, which was once one of the biggest reasons people bothered with pvp at all.

Maybe we could do something as a community, like gather 10 pps or more (no healers) and do random UTC's.Each person pays 50g to enter the competition. The people who have been in the most winning teams share the money.That way, even the OP pps will not be guaranteed a win.
    Perhaps even ask for less, like 25 or 10 gs from the theme builders/new players.

Just an idea but we could also post results in the forums. Then reward the best players of the month/year/week.

This would also bring more pps to this forum section!
    It worked very well for a PS I was running, could work much better here.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    Man my bike was gone I had to get back home on foot.

So what's going on now?

You didn't send it to 10 friends of yours did you? Happens all the time, I warned u, no joke.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    The community needs fresh blood. Mixing them in with the likes of us is gonna turn most away. If I were to be a brand new player and attempt pvp in its current state, I'd learn to stay away - it would not only be far from fun, but there's no incentive to take the punishment without the hero games rewards having merit.

I know I'm not rich enough to host such an event, with as many alts as I have. I doubt we'd be able to get the "financially sound" players to sponsor the event so it be up to the community as a whole to donate and organize an event.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I could be donating at least 100g /month for this, sure most pps wouldn't have a problem doing a grab/day... If we get 5 people in this, that's a retcon to the winner, if we get more, we might be giving out legacy devices or gears.
    It's not that difficult, we could even get Bacon to PvP! ;-p
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    secksegai wrote: »
    The community needs fresh blood. Mixing them in with the likes of us is gonna turn most away. If I were to be a brand new player and attempt pvp in its current state, I'd learn to stay away - it would not only be far from fun, but there's no incentive to take the punishment without the hero games rewards having merit.

I know I'm not rich enough to host such an event, with as many alts as I have. I doubt we'd be able to get the "financially sound" players to sponsor the event so it be up to the community as a whole to donate and organize an event.

I dunno the more I hear about all this 'we gotta change ourselves to get new blood!' stuff the more silly it sounds. its like oh no you guys people might not join the NBA because they suck at basketball, should everybody pretend they suck at basketball so new people will join!

no, just play. if new people who like it show up great! but there is no long term benefit to pretending that pvp isnt what it is because at some point people are going to want to take off the training wheels and start SRing everything in sight again and then what happens to the new blood? theyre like oh wtf happened I thought this was a nice place you mean people are actually gonna be mean to me what was this a trap im outtie yo kkthxbaibai.

having tournaments where you say NO PROS is fine and all but it is a little insulting to the people who join then cause you are basically saying okay you suck enough that you can be in this tournament. plus you might end up turning away someone who has a aopm/er/2gm/sr build who is actually terrible at the game even tho they have a superman build.

SIDE THOUGHT!!! Genius level idea here: For a long time we have been saying "Frankenbuild", but let's face it, Frankenstein was a noob with no powers who got chased away by a bunch of yokel villagers with burning sticks. Frankenbuild makes no sense.

We should be calling them Superman Builds! You know why? First off, Super Man was a total cherry picker! Might, eye beams, frost breath, that guy was all over the place with his build and totally did not stick to any set, or even any real theme. Two, Super Man was a total Mary Sue with his being stronger than everyone else completely invincible and super intelligent (Str, Con, Int! lol) and he even had three travel powers: super speed, super jump, and flight

In conclusion: Superman Build should replace Frankenbuild, because Frankenbuild is dumb.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Most of the 'fresh blood' types don't get turned away because of us being fockrs, they often get turned away because they're forced to play with stuff they absolutely hate, and those not minding it often get burnt out and decide to screw that.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Why do we need newcomers anyways? I'd rather have the old players back
  • Options
    edited August 2013