test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Transformers Central

meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
edited July 2014 in Costumes and Concepts
This thread is something that Bluhman suggested some time ago when his own thread was spammed with costumes made for characters transforming into vehicles.

Anyway, personally I think that while transformers may not be the most superheroic thing under the sun, costumes for them are a nice challenge - because you are limited by vehicle color palette.

I'm curious how creative people can be with such limited colors and how close you can get to actual vehicle parts, so I'm starting this thread for showing off costumes made for this kind of characters - with one of existing vehicles used as their alt mode.

I'm starting with two of my toons:

Haywire:

2ypgmzq.jpg

and

Deathlark:

2la8zts.jpg

_
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    That's actually pretty cool.

Deathlark reminds me of Slipstream, a female Decepticon as depicted in the War for Cybertron game.
  • Options
    benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I love the use of that shoulder pad to depict the windshield on Haywire, nice job. And here's mine, Skybolt.

Skybolt.png

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Those are outstanding! Really fantastic!

In posting pics - do they HAVE to be paired with a vehicle? I've got a several Transformers style costumes designed and at least one character who IS a Transformer - but I can't figure out a vehicle for her.

Though I'm wondering - now that I have a few vehicles, I wonder if maybe I can do something with changing the color schemes etc.

Here's a thought - can anyone do anything with the Grav Cycles and a Transformer character?
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I have two 'transformers' who don't have vehicles to associate with them, sadly.

Rollerball is supposed to turn into a Monowheel bike, I use the power ball travel power to simulate her transformation..

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Those are outstanding! Really fantastic!

In posting pics - do they HAVE to be paired with a vehicle? I've got a several Transformers style costumes designed and at least one character who IS a Transformer - but I can't figure out a vehicle for her.

Though I'm wondering - now that I have a few vehicles, I wonder if maybe I can do something with changing the color schemes etc.

Here's a thought - can anyone do anything with the Grav Cycles and a Transformer character?

Well, I did this thread mostly for costumes linked to vehicles. Though I suppose that any transforming robot is okay, as long as it doesn't violate ToS (Ie. - it's not from Cybertron).

I think concept wise grav bike would be very easy. Using some kind of generic costume for "holographic driver" when in vehicle mode. Sort of like bots in movies and shows did.

Costume wise bikes would be even easier than jets or tanks - because they have more compact shape, so you don't need any costume parts to act as a kibble for their wings and rocket engines. Alas, I have no grav bikes to do such costumes.

Also, grav bikes are nice idea for a transformable power armor for human characters - when character is not riding their bike and vehicle forms their power armor.
  • Options
    dddeemmdddeemm Posts: 23
    edited August 2013
    benevon wrote: »
    I love the use of that shoulder pad to depict the windshield on Haywire, nice job. And here's mine, Skybolt.

Skybolt.png

That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    dddeemm wrote: »
    That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

Thanks! :D

And yeah, I was thinking about the grav bike idea to have a "holographic" driver after transforming. Though I don't own any grav bikes myself.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    @Benevon
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Albedo
    7tiTuYu.png
    (Avalanche Tank Transformer)
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    And here's Ridgeback a Ridgeback Hover Tank transformer...

Ridgeback_zpsa7bd47a8.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We need some more bikes and not-asymmetrical tanks in here.

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Hot-Rodder

pz3k.jpg
    r4e3.jpg
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Oooh nice! I like how you found an existing vehicle and modeled your robot off of that (including the flame paint job!) even though you can't actually transform into that.

But as a costume concept that's inspired!
  • Options
    underchickenunderchicken Posts: 259 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    Nice one Finn! Nicely captured.

Love how the rims look like they're in your shoulder pieces.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I made this long time ago, when they started talking about Vehicles. Just bit upgraded. I was hoping that we could get cars as travelpowers.
    And yea, the shoulder pieces do match nicely to the tires. :)
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Just had to throw these two in. My recreations of Optimus and Bumblebee.

CPaaum2.jpg

BCw4607.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Hot-Rodder

pz3k.jpg
    qxl4.jpg

I so wish we could have gotten vehicles like that.

My Characters on PRIMUS
    @Benevon
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    bluhman wrote: »
    We need some more bikes and not-asymmetrical tanks in here.

I'm still thinking of tweaking colors a bit, but last night I put together a bike transformer. :) The VIPER rocket backpack just seemed perfect for it.

6epi.png

m1b3.png
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    zyborg2zyborg2 Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    More towards Beast Wars, but I will have a vehicle transformer soon. This is Paladin VI, my character in the Transmorphers SG.

Costume_zyborg2_PaladinVI_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_430946062_zps6f09e841.jpg

Costume_zyborg2_PaladinVII_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_430979129_zpsf67bd232.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    kallethen wrote: »
    I'm still thinking of tweaking colors a bit, but last night I put together a bike transformer. :) The VIPER rocket backpack just seemed perfect for it.

6epi.png

m1b3.png

That sir - is GENIUS made of win!
  • Options
    dialamxdialamx Posts: 931 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not sure how I missed this thread until just now, but here's a Transformer themed character I made awhile back named Jetstream.

Jetstream.jpg

The colors still need tweeking.
  • Options
    vinxbrvinxbr Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    OMG, Transformer exist on CO!!! Honstly, i never thought was a good idea add transformers to this game, but, after see these designs i changed my mind XD. Awsome designs

I have some gravbikes i my acount, maybe i try something too and come to post later :D
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    vinxbr wrote: »
    OMG, Transformer exist on CO!!! Honstly, i never thought was a good idea add transformers to this game, but, after see these designs i changed my mind XD. Awsome designs

I have some gravbikes i my acount, maybe i try something too and come to post later :D
    If you do, remind me to show you the keybind script I put together to change my costume from "bot" to "rider" to be like a hologram of a rider on the bike.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    pretty good idea with the use of over populated vehicles, now the characters mean something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You know.... these vehicle themed costume transforms are really great. It's too bad CO didn't throw an official "Vehicle Transform" costume contest or something. These looks are awesome though. Keep em coming.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    riverocean wrote: »
    It's too bad CO didn't throw an official "Vehicle Transform" costume contest or something.

A transformer bots parts pack (http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4095891&postcount=88) was one of the finalists in the costume design contest, but unfortunately it came in second. Maybe the number of votes it got will still give them some encouragement to put it together.
  • Options
    bobsy26bobsy26 Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    tumblr_n8rbfihXdz1soj7pfo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n8rbfihXdz1soj7pfo2_1280.jpg

Shockstorm. Critiques are more than welcome. Trying to find a costume piece - any piece - that looks like the cockpit has proven fruitless, but I gave it my best shot.
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    bobsy26 wrote: »
    Shockstorm. Critiques are more than welcome. Trying to find a costume piece - any piece - that looks like the cockpit has proven fruitless, but I gave it my best shot.

I'm digging it! At first glance the holoforce mouth looks similar to the cockpit, but I could be wrong heh. Either way though your interpretation is really close!
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    I'm digging it! At first glance the holoforce mouth looks similar to the cockpit, but I could be wrong heh. Either way though your interpretation is really close!

Or could use the belt pieces as well, LIGHtbUlByy!!!
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This thread is amazing.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Or could use the belt pieces as well, LIGHtbUlByy!!!

The holoforce mouth does look right, but it's far, far too small. Also, by design it floats a short distance from the actual mouth, so doesn't quite look right. The belt pieces... maybe, but again the scale would be off. Also, not sure I like it being near his crotch. Not sure why, just... no.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    This seemed like a fun idea so I decided to take a crack at it...

This is Skyshot!
    2q8y2jc.jpg
    Turns out matching colors with the vehicle mode is harder than I thought!
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    xydaxyda wrote: »

Best to do it in Canada, since it's the only outdoor zone with white ambient lightning.
    But also vehicles are made with slightly different materials and color palette than are costumes.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This makes me wonder...

Could the Devs have access to a larger color palette than our heroes have access to?
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    This makes me wonder...

Could the Devs have access to a larger color palette than our heroes have access to?

Yes. They can set any RGB value.

Also, skins for vehicles other than bikes are made in a different way - they're flat unseparated textures painted without use of color channels. They aren't colored with RGB sliders, just painted textures.
  • Options
    edited July 2014

If you open a demorecord file (created by doing /demorecord (filename), then /demorecord_stop) with a text editor, you can find costume files for your characters. Colors are stored with four values that range from 0 to 255: Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha.

Modifying alpha on costumes is a bit buggy, as it only works for the first color channel (can't make parts of costume pieces transparent, just the whole thing), but at the very least, it's very easy for Cryptic to add extra colors to the color palette, and probably maybe about 2 or maybe 3 days of dedicated work to get a Color Wheel/Color Picker implemented. The big hurdles for that sort of thing would be UI programming, and the lingering issue of being able to match costume part colors to skin color, in fear of scarring children with barbie-doll physiology.

• Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited July 2014

This is Skyshot!
    2q8y2jc.jpg

That's gorgeous. Nicely done.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited July 2014

This is Skyshot!
    2q8y2jc.jpg

One thing I will say is that you've used lots of very smooth, rounded costume pieces there, but the actual vehicle is much more angular. It might work better with harder, better defined lines, although the design you have would also be well suited to the sleeker Hawkwing vehicles.
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I'll keep on fiddling with bits to see how a more blocky appearance would help, but as those particular colors on that vehicle seem rather impossible for me to replicate, I just might end up going with one of the sleeker hawkwings.
  • Options
    ignitussparkignitusspark Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    i think if you use one those browns above the darkest black that could work
  • Options
    thelastsonofzodthelastsonofzod Posts: 658 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    My own minor contribution to this nifty thread, a concept for the Manta Tank. Sort of loosely based around G1 Megatron's style.

I give you: Siege!

2dspqpf.jpg

Costume File:
    http://tinypic.com/r/i2qbf4/8