test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hey, wanna talk about legacy devices (and other legacy things?)

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
I do!

The only good thing I see about how legacy items in general are distributed is that at least they're there, and even then it's arguable that they might as well (or we'd even be better off) with them not there at all. Drifter salvage is gated behind lockbox opening and that's a huge pain, considering that the devices were able to be found in the wild or as mission rewards. Action figures and costume pieces could be crafted with enough effort... notice how none of these had a price tag attached aside from time.

Yeah, it's a shame we don't have easier access to crafted costume unlocks and action figures anymore thanks to the hare-brained Drifter Salvage system, but the real salt and lemon juice in the wound? Legacy Devices.

What were supposed to be fun (possibly useful?) really rare drops from bosses became widely available, without the drawback of having to sacrifice stats for the function of the device itself. This also allows people to equip five of one device to wreak havoc with infinite amounts of dinosaurs, plenty of chucked ice grenades, constant BCR-like healing (at least until they get Trauma'd) or, the very worst offender? Infinite invulnerability at the push of a button (or five buttons if they have 5 Eruptions.) It can be argued that the fact that these devices are double-locked behind lockboxes (open boxes, get currency, buy legacy device grab bag, hope you get the GOOD stuff) and priced at absurd prices in the auction house for the good ones limit their abuse but I disagree completely.

Seeing crazy amounts of raptors has become commonplace and has even screwed me up in a few situations (namely Gravitar, as the raptors can be targeted by random Cascades, and said Cascades can go through the dinos to hit other players.) Complaints of Eruption spam in PvP and duels crop up semi-commonly. Absurd damage can be achieved by spamming Neuroelectric Pulse Generators and Ice Grenades.

It's too late to do anything about it, but I personally would have reintroduced legacy devices to mission rewards and boss drops, as well as adjusting them to place global cooldowns on similar devices and slightly nerfing their output to adjust for having no set level. Ice Grenades were never initially intended to be utilized at level 40, after all! Among other devices. Legacy Devices should have just been cool toys to play with or fun boosts to a character, but thanks to their current implementation they've become integrated with CO's dying PvP and are an outright example of paying for power, even if said power can be sold in the Auction House for absurd amounts of Gs.

Oh yeah, and don't say the absurd G price is another wall too. Resources can be easily earned in a multitude of ways.
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I was initially hoping that Legacy devices were going to have global cooldowns with duplicate devices so there wouldn't be spam. Also that the devices would be directly purchased through the Drifter Store so that anyone can select the ones they want. At least in this way the devices would just become part of an end game goal where you acquire greater flexibility than ever before by expanding your power use to your device tray. And it would be available to Silvers and players going free. It would have bridged the gap between FF and ATs.

However they weren't balanced to be equal in usefulness and were instead programmed in easy mode as randoms from a box and not tested to see which ones should cost more DS. There's tons of ways this could have been done better, but whoever was in charge of this clearly didn't care about making the way to acquiring them cool and fair to be used in every situation.

Not all of the gear with powers like these made it into the box for some reason. And to boot, they can extract powers from the gear yet they can't extract the power replacer costume unlocks? Bullocks.

This is what happens when the whole Legacy kits system was a side project done by one guy in his free time.
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Honestly? I'd hate Eruption a lot less if it shared a global cooldown with other Eruptions.

That cannot be reduced by any means.

There is precisely one situation in-game where you'd need that kind of defense (Gravitar's yellow bubble of death and pain), and even that can be avoided via other methods (Ascension comes to mind). But alas, since it is desirable to people with terrible impulse control, I doubt it will be nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sonic Pacification Device
    Crybaby Grenade Primary Utility ...permanent placate

Will of the Tiger (not Cub) - 200% debuff to ALL damage on 1 click for 5 seconds, pretty crazy for 1 shots, fix old device and BUFF

Backup summonable event devices(defender, ironclad etc.)

Those are crazy and no way to get anymore. xD

I like Dried Mistletoe or Lasso. :3
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    You can still get mistletoe and lasso. Backups are coming back when the Destroyer event does. And Crybaby does that? =O