test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who the hell decided this was a good idea?

chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
You know what? I was really meh about Arc, our new pwe integration "have you installed neverwinter?" needless social network platform. I've got a pretty beastly computer, so the extra memory it hogs isn't really effecting me. However, I had to reinstall the game on my laptop due to a hardware issue, and I had this thing forced down my throat. Gamely, I decided to give it a shot and not judge until I'd tried it.

You know what the hot key combination is to bring up the in game (entirely view blocking) overlay? Shift and tab. Or, for those of you who have never played this game (which I feel may include a lot of devs) the specific combination you use to block while auto-cycling through targets. You know, so you're not clicking wildly in all the madness that co fights can turn into.

So, new tank joins the game, and tries to block (presuming he figures out how, the tutorial is really vague on this now) while shifting focus on the bigger target in a mob. And then is blinded by a pointless social networking overlay INTENTIONALLY DESIGNED with this exact setup in mind.

WHO PLANS THIS STUFF? I know, in the settings, you can change it. I caught it before I even started, because I always check every settings screen on new stuff. I'm a minority here, and this was a really dumb decision. I can't wait for the zone rage over it. "See, you gotta tab out of the game, then open up the settings on arc, and..." Yeah, no complications or anything. Totally simple.

This kinda half-thought out silliness is why Cryptic has the reputation it does. I mean, what, nobody thought to go through the key binds for their games and figure out a button that doesn't see a lot of use? You ever see anyone use shift+f12 for anything ever? Why the hell would you bind it to possibly one of the most common mmo keystrokes around?

I'm mystified.
In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
dbnzfo.png
RIP Caine
Post edited by chalupaoffury on

Comments

• fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They use Shift+Tab because every other one uses Shift+Tab.

Steam, Origin last I recall, even bloody Stardock.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It is badly designed. Not much else I can say about it, its just that crap.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yep.

That's why I use MOUSE4 to block and disable the overlay crap in stuff like Steam.

A solution could be to change the default binds (including getting rid of that hideous comic-outline default...)
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yeah but, with steam you can change all the shortcuts so it doesn't have to be shift tab
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Use a Xbox gamepad. Problem fixed. :tongue:
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Huh, so they didn't take Champions into account when making this thing? Not surprised.

But, you know, just quit Arc after launching?
    biffsig.jpg
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Huh, so they didn't take Champions into account when making this thing? Not surprised.

Or just download from Steam directly without having to bother with Arc if a full re-installation is needed. The launcher can still be run without Steam too if needed.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    But...but if you don't use Arc you miss all those coupons.
    It's like they did that Champions Online 'Use Coupons' button for nothing.....
    :rolleyes:
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm doing the easy win method of doing settings. I'm not connecting the thing. My games run perfectly well form desktop
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd actually give Arc another glance if they actually made it so that Cryptic games are integrated into it beyond just being a launcher/installer for the games.

The Shift + Tab stuff had me uninstall it right away when they first came out with Arc too.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2013
    It's worth noting that this keybind is fully customizable.

Settings.png
  • wingofbenuwingofbenu Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited July 2013

My guessw is they basically just went "lets steal steam's UI without actually doing anything that maks steam good"
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Settings.png

Not entirely. It only accepts one modifier key, so you can't set it to a Vulcan nerve pinch key combo like, say, Ctrl+Alt+`. And it still doesn't excuse PWE's main office from not recognizing a reasonably common key combo from one of its own games. (Betcha if Neverwinter had tab-targeting, one Guardian Fighter in the QA department would be enough to get the default changed.)
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    Or just download from Steam directly without having to bother with Arc if a full re-installation is needed. The launcher can still be run without Steam too if needed.
    Or even take a USB stick to the computer that has CO installed, copy the install directory to the stick, take the stick to the laptop and install from it (assuming of course that the "beastly computer" isn't the laptop).

Still, it would be really nice to have a link to a download for just the basic Cryptic Launcher on the CO site.
  • therealtedtherealted Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm currently downloading the client directly. Does that not work anymore? Guess I'll find out soon-ish... :confused:
  • archaerestarchaerest Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I wanted to punch the game in the face when that overlay kept popping up. It's a horrible default setup, and it shows that there was little effort put in when making the changes. I'm new to the game, so outside of trying to figure out all the games quirks (CoH vet), I started to have this junk pop up. I'm glad this thread was made, because it saved me from further wanting to punch the game in the face.
  • nyrkesnyrkes Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    ...pretty much

Totally... I ran into this pretty recent since coming back to CO and it got me killed 2wice b4 I decided to take a moment and tab out to re-assign keys. Biggest reason why I don't run games thru Steam. 'bleh' Crap design.
  • alexofspades#2085 alexofspades Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    I use Scroll Lock on steam as my shortcut.

I'm not going to touch Arc, ever. If they force Arc to be used in order to play the game, i'll uninstall and leave permanently.
    ERgLqqC.png
  • agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited August 2013

Settings.png

Good information!
    Not entirely. It only accepts one modifier key, so you can't set it to a Vulcan nerve pinch key combo like, say, Ctrl+Alt+`. And it still doesn't excuse PWE's main office from not recognizing a reasonably common key combo from one of its own games. (Betcha if Neverwinter had tab-targeting, one Guardian Fighter in the QA department would be enough to get the default changed.)

Also a fair criticism. Champions does get the short end of the stick when it comes to development funds, although it has been improving as of late so perhaps there's reason to have hope.