test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why not crowdsource Foundry indexing?

keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
edited June 2013 in Suggestions Box
During my unemployed times, I used to do things on Mechanical Turk, which lets you make pitiful amounts of money for doing really stupid/easy things, like tagging business cards, picking out what genre the picture is, writing small articles for websites, and so on and so forth.

And then I realized... if Cryptic just tossed all of the items onto a database and quickly coded up a front end tagging/model viewing program that players could access, we could do all the work! The way I see it is as follows:

Level 1: The Taggers
Give the taggers a naming convention to use (like tree_1.3dm or whatever extension you use) and show them objects that need to be tagged. Once an object is tagged, the object moves to level 2. Every time an object gets approved at Level 2, the Tagger receives 1 Zen. If too many wrong tags come back from Checkers, you are warned, and if you continue doing so you will be locked out of the system. Tag 100 objects as a Tagger and you can become a Checker.

Level 2: The Checkers
Checkers look through newly tagged objects to see if the filename is accurate. Say a rifle is tagged as "handgun_42.3dm." The Checker who finds this error will be able to correct the tag themselves and send it back through the Checking line. For every 10 objects checked and confirmed, the Checker will receive 5 Zen, and corrected items approved by another Checker will get 1 Zen. Marking EVERYTHING as wrong when it obviously isn't, on the other hand, will get you demoted to level 1. Checkers can also correct typos in a Tagger's tag with a 'Typo' mark that doesn't count against a Tagger's record, but does tell the Tagger to be a bit more careful with their typing.

Level 3: The Developers
With your new database of items you can get to work on bringing the Foundry to CO! When you've got players doing your work for you and being rewarded for doing it, it should be a lot easier to get the Foundry into CO. If you guys notice anything weird with your object index (the slim chance that an object got the wrong name and managed to slip through level 2) you could probably just rename it and fix it yourself.

So, what's to stop a troll from going into the system and mucking things up? Either limit this tagging service to players who have been around for at least three months (or even longer?) to decrease trolls or just take a leap of faith and hope the genuine hard workers weed out any potential damage trolls could do.

To prevent over-farming, limit access to the tagging service to one hour (or two hours?) a day as well. That way, if you tag an object a minute, you get through 60 objects and therefore get 60 Zen provided they're 100% right, which ain't a bad haul considering the crap Mechanical Turk 'employers' can put you through sometimes, though that does mean you're working for 60 cents an hour... :S That is, unless you can work faster than an object a minute.

Throw in unlockable titles and costume pieces for rewards for participating in the tagging program and there will be plenty of incentive for us to do your work for you. I know I'd put at least a few hours into it. We already do your bugtesting and playtesting on the PTS, why not go the extra step and let the players work on something most of them really want?

A superhero can dream. :(

double edit: if not Zen, then Questionite :|
Post edited by keikomyst on

Comments

• acrosscatacrosscat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have my blade.
    ____GREAT LEADERS LET THEIR ACTIONS SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • squeakiecleansqueakieclean Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Um. And mine.
  • clubcapricebingoclubcapricebingo Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And my axe!
  • onlyepicwolfonlyepicwolf Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have my bow.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Who has my telepathy?!
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    Who has my telepathy?!

I knew you were going to say that, so I guess I do.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »

So, what's to stop a troll from going into the system and mucking things up? Either limit this tagging service to players who have been around for at least three months (or even longer?) to decrease trolls or just take a leap of faith and hope the genuine hard workers weed out any potential damage trolls could do.

I'd go for longer. Maybe even limit it to Gold/LTS folk or those who've been playing for 6 months or more.
    Throw in unlockable titles and costume pieces for rewards for participating in the tagging program and there will be plenty of incentive for us to do your work for you. I know I'd put at least a few hours into it. We already do your bugtesting and playtesting on the PTS, why not go the extra step and let the players work on something most of them really want?

A superhero can dream. :(

double edit: if not Zen, then Questionite :|

Costume pieces and titles? I'm in!
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You May Have My...........rock!
    ====================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ====================================
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You have my butt.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Oh all right, i'll join the meme...

You may have my Volterrific Fury!

Mua-HaHaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • thelostexilethelostexile Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    And you have my spork. *sage nod*
  • thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    *clears throat* (IC from Brutus Buckeye) You can have my guns when you pry them from my cold dead hands. But be warned those cold dead hands can still pull the triggers.

*clears throat one more time* (back out of character) I'd do this.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    You have my guns..

from my cold de..

wait no.. AHEM

You have my support

*paranoid hugging of guns*

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm