test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CO presence at Conventions Along side STO and NWO

crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,591 Arc User
I'm aware that when NWO, Cryptic's prime feature at conventions, is presented that STO is also advertised. Does CO get some of the lime light or does it not even remotely have presence there?

I have seen videos and panels where Cryptic talks about NWO's game play constantly mentioning the merits that STO has brought to it. Even CoH gets used as reference. But CO gets skipped over constantly.

Has anyone found any videos, gaming news articles or even advertising of CO mixed into the reports about Cryptic shows at conventions? Anything at all.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It wouldn't surprise me if they pretended that it didn't exist. STO has apparently turned out to be a bigger success than CO is. NWO is the spanking new game that they'd hope will be the next success story under their belt. Can CO be considered a success on the same level as STO that it can be boasted about without second thought? Nah.

It makes more sense on a business standpoint to talk about your achievements rather than your failures.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Don't make me show up.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, at this year's PAX East, not only was TrailTurtle demoing Neverwinter, he was demoing Neverwinter at Nvidia's booth, not Cryptic's. Make of that what you will.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited May 2013
    There wasn't anyone demoing PWI, or Forsaken World, or Jade Dynasty, or Blacklight: Retribution, or pretty much any of the PWE games, either. General con strategy is to only showcase the shiniest of the shiny -- STO gets a leg up towards that because it's so easy to showcase at any Trekkie con. Not saying that STO doesn't deserve to be shown off, but the financial calculus makes way more sense with it than any other non-new game.
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There wasn't anyone demoing PWI, or Forsaken World, or Jade Dynasty, or Blacklight: Retribution, or pretty much any of the PWE games, either. General con strategy is to only showcase the shiniest of the shiny -- STO gets a leg up towards that because it's so easy to showcase at any Trekkie con. Not saying that STO doesn't deserve to be shown off, but the financial calculus makes way more sense with it than any other non-new game.

So should we expect to see Champions Online at San Diego Comic Con?
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    CO not so much the last was the open letter from Jack Emmert about the start from Neverwinter. He mentioned Star Trek Online 6 times, City of Heroes twice and Champions Online whooping 3 times.

From the last Pax East Videos not so much....same goes for the GDC.............
  • Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »

As pretty much the best and only super hero online game worth mentioning, it better damn well be. I'll be heading that way a month or so from now, and if Marvel showcases their new mmo without any other showcases from cryptic or DCUO....cryptic will be SOL on leaving industry impressions if they don't show full **** at E3....that is if they even have anything planned for next month.

Its 2013, and theres about 5 or 6 korean and japanese titles that may drop between now and 2014 that are competing not just for champions online and PWE player investments and time. No, these new titles are about to take a dump on everything in the market as far as player time and investment goes. So if anybody falls short at this E3 expo.....we're gonna see aloooot of A.i.o.n type population influxes that make games look like graveyards. And by **** population influx I mean the influx that happened maybe 9-12 months after the games north american release.

Now is not the time to be slipping on any of your older titles as a game developer, unless you just like losing potential investments. I know from the grapevine TSW isn't screwing around with this expo and its only been out maybe what......a year? Nexon plans on trying to retain revenue by porting in that Navy game, but they might be short a few million after release since they ditched another title this year already.

2013 E3 is chopping block season. Any games or developers that don't wanna be chopped out, will definately be there in full strength showing everything they got plus expansions. This ain't the year to be ****in around.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Not until the game goes back to a presentable state, without bugs and all. I hate to say it, but Cryptic has a good reason not to advertise for CO. :frown:
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Good luck getting people to find the display or care about it. The vast majority of people that go to these Cons have either Marvel or DC on their minds and those two have plenty of things to showcase up to and including their own online games.

It was a different story in 2009 when CO and City of Heroes were the only two superhero games around.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    theomnikrontheomnikron Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cons are a very risky gamble. Take SDCC for example, the vast majority of the showings there are big Hollywood types showcasing a new upcoming movie or TV shows in the sci-fi/fantasy genre. The fans are there to see their favorite actors or to catch a glimpse of a new trailer. For a game like CO, the EP (whoever it may be as I don't know and plently of other people here don't either) would make a decision in going to one of the more fan friendly cons. DragonCon, PAX, maybe E3 and maybe the New York CC. SDCC is not the ace in the hole as far as cons go.
  • Options
    baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They could do a meet up between players and devs... but nah.... that would obviously never work and nothing productive would ever come out of "player summit" kind of thing... right?
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why would Cryptic showcase a game they obviously couldn't care less about? Are they supposed to show this game off and then ask people hey play this game that has no support or any real content coming in the future?
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Back in 2008 there was something like a meet up that took place. It started as a forum joke but it became a thing.

Archived Post has more details: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=142244&highlight=chili
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    That's pretty awesome.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    female_from_Champions_online_by_raptor2184.jpg

I'm still wrapping my brain around the fact that it's happened at all. Yes, we once did get some advertisement. I know, I was surprised too.

The player summit... I was around for the neverwinter nights/bioware meetup about 10 years ago, in canada. Still friends with some bioware devs as a result of that, it was a hoot. People flew in from as far away as California. That actually sounds too awesome to happen with this game.

Plus, you know jaybeez would show up and sit in a corner mumbling about telepathy.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wouldn't put too much effort into advertising CO at SDCC. STO, maybe, with the new movie out, but SDCC has become about Hollywood, not comics.

Emerald City CC in Seattle, though, is turning into one of the major stops on the SF/comics tour, and they're still young enough to focus on comic books rather than movies. I think NYCC is still good for that too, although I've never been there.

Tell me you'll have a booth for CO at the next Emerald City, and I'm so there...

(Heck, I'll even put up with Jaybezz in the corner!) :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Having worked in the convention business I can tell you that just the graphic design for a booth costs more than all the monthly subs Cryptic got this month (from CO), then the actual booth costs a few thousand more, and having people build and take it down costs a grand or two more. Then there's paying people to man it while no real work gets accomplished.
    Then you hand out a few hundred dollars worth of swag.

All for a free to play game that's four years old with a bare bones population in a genre dominated by Disney and Warner brothers?

Good thing you people are not in charge, this game would be bankrupt and deader than Elvis.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just still baffled as to why when City of Heroes/Villains went offline... why Cryptic didn't step up and capitalize on it.

It's sad that there was more effort from the forum users and other gamers than the people who make the game.

It was like offering hobos shelter under your dirty cardboard box.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    So Cryptic expects the players to spend more money on a game that gets no updates. And then won't showcase it anywhere to get more players who could spend more money on it.

They blew their chance at advancing the game when it was making a hefty penny when it first went FtP. Should we expect them to do anything substantial to the game without that kind of increase when they wouldn't do jack when the iron was hot? No.

Lets see what you do with this game when NWO officially goes live.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Plus, you know jaybeez would show up and sit in a corner mumbling about telepathy.
    jonsills wrote: »
    (Heck, I'll even put up with Jaybezz in the corner!) :smile:
    NObody puts JayBezz in the corner!

- -

I didn't go to the chili cook off because I had to work, but I did go to the pre-launch Meet & Greet on Fourth and Mission in SF.

And YES I asked about Telepathy. They handed out cards where players could ask for what they wanted.

If my memory is correct, I put down:

1) Awesome Crowd Control
    2) Liquid Travel Power
    3) Cute Hair and Heels
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    NObody puts JayBezz in the corner!

- -

I didn't go to the chili cook off because I had to work, but I did go to the pre-launch Meet & Greet on Fourth and Mission in SF.

And YES I asked about Telepathy. They handed out cards where players could ask for what they wanted.

If my memory is correct, I put down:

1) Awesome Crowd Control
    2) Liquid Travel Power
    3) Cute Hair and Heels

Telepathy....mumble mumble mumble

Anyway, I noticed there was some talk on the pbe of telepathy powers that, for some reason the update/continued work on it stopped because the dev is on another project atm. So.....wtf ever happened to that?
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    bwdares wrote: »
    Why would Cryptic showcase a game they obviously couldn't care less about? Are they supposed to show this game off and then ask people hey play this game that has no support or any real content coming in the future?

My point. Unless they make CO presentable again, they shouldn't showcase it.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I find that extraordinarily difficult to believe.

There's five times [or more] as many superhero movies in the last five years as Trek movies.

Comic book conventions outnumber Trek conventions in number and attendance. General sci-fi conventions of course cover both.

Again, nothing against you TT but that line your bosses gave you to fend us of is a load of weapons grade poop.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2013

With all due respect, that depends entirely on whose banner is hanging above the booth: Perfect World Entertainment or Cryptic Studios. Because PWE has 14 titles, but Cryptic only has three, so it's very obvious and telling when one is missing from a Cryptic-only booth.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    With all due respect, that depends entirely on whose banner is hanging above the booth: Perfect World Entertainment or Cryptic Studios. Because PWE has 14 titles, but Cryptic only has three, so it's very obvious and telling when one is missing from a Cryptic-only booth.

The banner would hang on PWE with a subnote below that says cryptic.

List of non pwe developed titles they are publishing that I know without looking at the list.

RaiderZ
    Torchlight Series 1 and 2
    Blacklight
    Champions
    Star Trek
    Neverwinter
    Rusty Hearts

List of Beijing etc developed PWE developed titles
    Perfect World International
    War of the Immortals
    Forsaken World
    Ether Saga
    Jade Dynasty

Cryptic is a developer studio not a publisher, PWE has a developer studio as well as publishing power. There's a distinct difference.

Its akin to getting mad at itunes for censoring an album instead of the record label.
    Record Label=developer itunes=publisher

Record label makes the music, itunes distributes the music.
    Cryptic Studios makes the game, PWE distributes the game.

So contrary to PWE looking like the bad guy, they really aren't. Don't get mad at the shoe store, get mad at Nike.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm just still baffled as to why when City of Heroes/Villains went offline... why Cryptic didn't step up and capitalize on it.

It's sad that there was more effort from the forum users and other gamers than the people who make the game.

It was like offering hobos shelter under your dirty cardboard box.

actually im wiling to give the them a pass on that one. they did not have any advance warning that coh was going down, so its not like they could just toss new content together in a moment and toss it out there. they did hire synapse, arbiter hawk and doc aeon and i was happy about that. also, since that was only relatively few months before nwn was going to be launching, id imagine most of the resources had been committed, so changing at that point would have been unfocused and problematic. that said, their continued insistence on their course of vehicles, lockboxes and temp content..well already gave my opinion on that more than enough times. tt was very nice around that time, and did what he could.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ariesmajor wrote: »
    Its akin to getting mad at itunes for censoring an album instead of the record label.
    Record Label=developer itunes=publisher.
    Except that the publisher can indeed order a record label to give them a censored album. Clear Channel does it all the time (to the extent that when a Clear Channel station played Everlast's "What It's Like" back in the late '90s, they bleeped out the words "chrome .45").

For that matter, I recall reading of a couple of albums that were censored specifically so they could be sold to Wal-Mart. And of course it was record stores that forced the alteration of the cover of Roger Waters' Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, because it featured a bare (and rather shapely) behind. (The hitchhiker was still naked except for a pair of gym shorts, but since she was shot from behind, nothing else showed, and apparently that was good enough.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Except that the publisher can indeed order a record label to give them a censored album. Clear Channel does it all the time (to the extent that when a Clear Channel station played Everlast's "What It's Like" back in the late '90s, they bleeped out the words "chrome .45").

For that matter, I recall reading of a couple of albums that were censored specifically so they could be sold to Wal-Mart. And of course it was record stores that forced the alteration of the cover of Roger Waters' Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, because it featured a bare (and rather shapely) behind. (The hitchhiker was still naked except for a pair of gym shorts, but since she was shot from behind, nothing else showed, and apparently that was good enough.)

Yes.. thank you JonSills for stepping into my realm and being so wrong about it.

Publishers can choose what they want to distribute under their name on a contractual basis. They cannot however dictate content of the label. Desperate and stupid artists were once willing to adhere to publishers wishes for fear of lack of distribution. Those artists have been relegated to niche markets and still have all the ability to self publish for digital distribution.

But yes by all means.. pick up your pom poms and dispute the music industry with the Divo of R&B.

Snap. Werk. Twirl. Ova
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I find that extraordinarily difficult to believe.

There's five times [or more] as many superhero movies in the last five years as Trek movies.

You are comparing a class of movies to movies from one specific IP. None of those comic book movies were Champions IP. There were many more Science Fiction movies than just Trek made during the same time period as the Comic Book movies you reference.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paragon studios was put into liquidation in August, COX closed November.
    Three months isn't enough time for cryptic to do much, especially since we seem to have so few people working on the game
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2013

I remember that, the 90s was a horrible time for buying music, because the sell outs would give Wal mart with the most access to the music you wanted, and if you wanted an uncensored version you'd have to go to an actual record store in the mall. Terrible time for music because of those same sell outs. So glad artists give themselves higher standards than that today. It was a sad time.

But yeah the record label still had say so to put the censored copy out in those stores. Which is the reason why groups like Insane Clown Possie were never found on a Wal Mart shelf.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Yes.. thank you JonSills for stepping into my realm and being so wrong about it.

Publishers can choose what they want to distribute under their name on a contractual basis. They cannot however dictate content of the label. Desperate and stupid artists were once willing to adhere to publishers wishes for fear of lack of distribution. Those artists have been relegated to niche markets and still have all the ability to self publish for digital distribution.

But yes by all means.. pick up your pom poms and dispute the music industry with the Divo of R&B.

Snap. Werk. Twirl. Ova

You're the....Divo of R&B? Wha.....who?
  • Options
    jedite2012jedite2012 Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this game has gone too far down hill to have any kind of advertisement and expansions or updates

I wouldn't be surprised if they shut down CO one day and i think it will happen, but then again, they need to drain the little money they make in CO and use it for other games

pathetic crypic
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    actually im wiling to give the them a pass on that one. they did not have any advance warning that coh was going down, so its not like they could just toss new content together in a moment and toss it out there.

Indeed they admit to getting caught with their trousers down.

But we're still waiting for them to bother to bend over and put them back on.
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i am reading into that in an overly naughty fashinon:D.

but yeah, i can accept nothing coming out because the realities are tha tthey were launching a new game, fine, cool, expected, just give us some indication that some devs will migrate back and that there are plans to invest again in growing co, thats all I ask. well, that and some new costumes, a new zone, a plant powerset, more dinosaurs, a pony,more martial arts animations, and the telepathy pass to go live.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    You are comparing a class of movies to movies from one specific IP. None of those comic book movies were Champions IP. There were many more Science Fiction movies than just Trek made during the same time period as the Comic Book movies you reference.

Alright, if your going to play that game*.

Should we compare space adventure sci-fi movies to comic book movies?

Comic book movies still win.

*Dev apologist.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Alright, if your going to play that game*.

Should we compare space adventure sci-fi movies to comic book movies?

Comic book movies still win.

*Dev apologist.

Dev apologist ?

Interesting. I would think that my opinion, stated on numerous occasions, that Cryptic has completely bungled CO would not qualify as apologizing for the company.

Pointing out a flaw in your comparison, with the expectation that one does not have to delve into intellectual dishonesty to that ridiculous a degree, or at all, to demonstrate Cryptic's failings does not make me an apologist. You don't need to pile BS on BS to show fault with Cryptic's handling of CO. Doing so makes your position look weak and contrived.

So feel free to compare Sci-Fi movies, or any other entertainment medium, based on a four decade old, hugely successful, internationally known WSci Fi IP to movies based on the Champions Universe setting...Then get back to me.

I'm a huge fan of the CU. Its the only reason I bought into CO despite disliking COH. But even a CU fanboy such as myself can't honestly compare it as an IP to Trek.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Comic book conventions outnumber Trek conventions in number and attendance. General sci-fi conventions of course cover both.

Comic book conventions are great, but converting comic fans into Champions fans is a lot harder than converting Star Trek fans into STO fans. Both of them are surprisingly difficult, but it's orders of magnitude harder for Champoions than STO.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The majority of comic nerds are fans of either DC, Marvel, or both. They are fans of those companies' universes and characters, and that's what they would expect from a superhero game. Likely, most of them would rather play as Wolverine in the Marvel Universe than as a whole new, selfmade character in the universe of an obscure Pen & Paper game that doesn't even have comics based on it.
    The more extreme part of this fandom wouldn't even look into a fanfic with a selfmade character in it, if into fanfiction at all, because they are so very focused on the official chracters, settings and stories they like to read about.

Champions Online is not a game for the average superhero comic fan. It is a game for highly creative roleplayers and would-be authors who happen to be into superheroes.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Comic book conventions are great, but converting comic fans into Champions fans is a lot harder than converting Star Trek fans into STO fans. Both of them are surprisingly difficult, but it's orders of magnitude harder for Champoions than STO.

I really don't believe that.

Seriously and even if that so I don't think Cryptic is trying or ever really did try that hard.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    Dev apologist ?

Interesting. I would think that my opinion, stated on numerous occasions, that Cryptic has completely bungled CO would not qualify as apologizing for the company.

Pointing out a flaw in your comparison, with the expectation that one does not have to delve into intellectual dishonesty to that ridiculous a degree, or at all, to demonstrate Cryptic's failings does not make me an apologist. You don't need to pile BS on BS to show fault with Cryptic's handling of CO. Doing so makes your position look weak and contrived.

So feel free to compare Sci-Fi movies, or any other entertainment medium, based on a four decade old, hugely successful, internationally known WSci Fi IP to movies based on the Champions Universe setting...Then get back to me.

I'm a huge fan of the CU. Its the only reason I bought into CO despite disliking COH. But even a CU fanboy such as myself can't honestly compare it as an IP to Trek.

I wasn't being particularly serious, so I apologize.

In any case my point is there's a much larger presence of comic book movies compared to Trek or anything like if in the visual media, which games are.

Heck there's more superhero-ish games at times than things 'sci-fi in scape' sometimes.

Trouble is IP direct games usually suck and so a direct to IP games isn't always an advantage.

I don't even count Champions as an 'IP' for this purpose. It's such a poorly known IP and it's really always been a 'file the serial numbers off' and play your favorite comic book universe or ours = damn near both of your favorite universes.

I say the above as a loooong time Champions fan. I've been playing since the early 90's so I know my Champ PnP broseph.

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Especially when the Superhero game has been mishandled into mush.

rokurocaris: "The majority of comic nerds are fans of either DC, Marvel, or both. They are fans of those companies' universes and characters, and that's what they would expect from a superhero game. Likely, most of them would rather play as Wolverine in the Marvel Universe than as a whole new, selfmade character in the universe of an obscure Pen & Paper game that doesn't even have comics based on it.
    The more extreme part of this fandom wouldn't even look into a fanfic with a selfmade character in it, if into fanfiction at all, because they are so very focused on the official chracters, settings and stories they like to read about."

It is all in how you present it. I think making your own hero and choosing your won powers and story sounds way better than playing someone else's character.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Contrary to popular belief. Most comic book fans are fans of their respective "favorite hero" because they fantasize about what it'd be like to have that hero's powers.

Thats one of the reasons I picked playing CO over marvel and DC, (well DC didn't make it because their clothing options are garbage. But I digress) CO, let me create the hero I wanted to be aside from super man spawn blah blah etc. All those guys are great, and every comic book fan will tell you which one of those is their favorite. But deep down, every fan fantasizes about being their own hero/mutant/arch villian/ destroyer of the world/ demigod.

Champions lets you do that. And because of that, some peoples heroes on here have more sentimental value than their favorite Spiderman Comic in their collection.
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The majority of comic nerds are fans of either DC, Marvel, or both. They are fans of those companies' universes and characters, and that's what they would expect from a superhero game. Likely, most of them would rather play as Wolverine in the Marvel Universe than as a whole new, selfmade character in the universe of an obscure Pen & Paper game that doesn't even have comics based on it.
    The more extreme part of this fandom wouldn't even look into a fanfic with a selfmade character in it, if into fanfiction at all, because they are so very focused on the official chracters, settings and stories they like to read about.

Champions Online is not a game for the average superhero comic fan. It is a game for highly creative roleplayers and would-be authors who happen to be into superheroes.

I beg to differ on the first part of the post but totally agree with the last part.

It is true that majority of the comic fanclub belongs to either DC or the Marvel faction. However, this does not mean that they have to play an existing character from these universes. Having these characters come in to carry storylines, missions interweaved with some lore of either universe allows players to be immersed in that universe as well. I am a Marvel fan (and to a smaller extent DC) but not to the extent of cosplaying. I enjoyed games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance etc but I know for a certain I will not want to play Marvel Online (actually was going to jump over) after I realised you only play existing characters and multiple players can all be playing the same character. It is one thing to have various Mark versions of Ironman but I really do not want to see Wolverine X-Men costume, X factor costume, Weapon X costume all existing in the same timeline. It is just dumb for me at least.

It will be fine if they made it like a Marvel Universe of an alternative timeline so whatever may happen in the game does not impact the real comic timeline. They can reuse old stories like Secret Wars, Infinity Gauntlet, Superhuman Registration Acts, Skrull Invasions etc and weave in self-made characters. The Marvel characters can summon heroes to help/handle these situations. These are being rewritten all the time anyway. This is different from being sidekicks which seems to be the case of DCUO.

The potential is all there. I will not want to play an existing character because it breaks the suspension of belief when comic timeline and game events do not align. Using the supervillains seems tolerable though. It also gets ridiculous when Hulk and Spiderman can fight quite on par or Phoenix vs whatever other characters.

Yes Trailturtle is right about converting comic fans to game fans but that's because the Champions IP is not really the hottest thing in town (no offense to Ashensnow who stated he loves it). If ever CO can secure the IP for Marvel and DC, think of the crossover possible. However as I pointed out before with DCUO and MO around, I doubt they will allow for that. CO has many strengths but IP is not one of them.

Retexturing to give a more gritty feel will also give a whole new image to the game. Replace some buildings in MC with a Baxter Building, Daily Bugle, Avenger's Mansion and School for the Gifted. There is no real need to locate them in different parts of US. MI is a Savage Land ready for use. Lemuria (Atlantis) - divide the area for Namor and Aquaman LOL.

Shapeshifting aliens skrulls, think whiteout. Mephisto, think demonflame/aftershock. Canada can be switched to Asgard by just changing the buildings. Enlarge the Bigfoots and you have frost giants and Kigatilik switched to fire powers and you get Surtur. Resistance is more along the line of Days of Future Past, think Megadestroid as Sentinels and Terminator as Nimrod. Marvel Zombies, think Zombie Apocalypse. Dr Ka - Dr Strange.

And expansion set? Cosmic level epic zone with Galactus, Death and Eternity all coming in.

Oh and how can I forget. Gear with mods? Think soul gems.

I do not know why the initial plans of CO being a Marvel MMO did not fall through but can't we try again?

I would add that I have no issues without being linked to one of the major IPs but linking to them will certainly bring an influx of fans to finance and populate the game.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seriously and even if that so I don't think Cryptic is trying or ever really did try that hard.

i agree with this statement. it seems as if cryptic isnt even going to try and get people to p;lay this game.
  • Options
    vitalityprimevitalityprime Posts: 478 Arc User
    edited May 2013

I believe it.

There are many types of superhero comics.

Champions Online only fits "one type" of superhero comics.
    _________
    VARIANT

"Nearly all men can withstand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

-Abraham Lincoln-
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Pretty much what I've seen in my small sample of things. It's been much easier to get a Star Trek fan who plays games to jump into (and enjoy) STO than it ever has been to get a comic fan who plays games to jump into or enjoy CO.

Some of that is due to the difference in quality and universe immersion of the two games and some of it is due to the comic fans generally seeming to be more attached to establish characters of someone else's creation as opposed to their own.

CO's diehard players seem to be game/RPG/MMORPG players first who also like the idea of superheros as opposed to superhero fans who also like to play games/RPG/MMORPGs if that makes any sense.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much what I've seen in my small sample of things. It's been much easier to get a Star Trek fan who plays games to jump into (and enjoy) STO than it ever has been to get a comic fan who plays games to jump into or enjoy CO.

Some of that is due to the difference in quality and universe immersion of the two games and some of it is due to the comic fans generally seeming to be more attached to establish characters of someone else's creation as opposed to their own.

CO's diehard players seem to be game/RPG/MMORPG players first who also like the idea of superheros as opposed to superhero fans who also like to play games/RPG/MMORPGs if that makes any sense.

I don't know, I have some superheroes whom I really like but yet I do not want to play these characters in an MMO environment. If it is a game with a pretty fixed storyline like MUA etc I do not mind but in an MMO I will not want to do that because it just takes that character away from what is happening in the comic universe. Then again that's my perspective. Not too sure about other comic fans. In the same way, I do not like the fact that movie adaptations like X-Men distorting the stories to fit the big screen.

However, moving beyond just the comic fans. I am sure the movie successes extended the reach of the superhero genre beyond the comic fans and I wonder what are the chances of these movie goers being drawn to a superhero computer game. Why should the fantasy genre games gain so much more popularity when majority of fantasy movies fair so badly on the big screen? I suspect the quality of the production has a lot to do with it. Perhaps CO should ditch its clean, wholesome silver age comic feel for something slicker and darker. Why doesn't night fall in CO? Why doesn't it rain? Put up some really cool animation sequences to advertise the game especially before the start of these superhero movies.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Pretty much exactly our experience.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Pretty much exactly our experience.
    I claim exception!