test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My Toons.

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Ha, that's awesome, with the articulation points added in. Love em!
    biffsig.jpg
  • kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I need to come to this section more often.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2013
    These... these are awesome. Keep it up, I really like the way they look.
  • benevonbenevon Posts: 388 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    That Rhino guy sure is a hunk :biggrin:

My Characters on PRIMUS
    Toons and costumes thread
    @Benevon
    Leader of Super Serious Brooding Vigilantes
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    All the pics are great. But I'm SOOOOO loving the mock-up toy figures.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    So impressed by the level of talent in these threads. Truly amazing art, Meedacthunist!!! Love it so, please, keep'em coming! :smile:

PS: As said by Kallethen, above: the mock-up toy figures??? So. Freaking. Awesome! <3
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    Not really enough time for making anything bigger, so this time it's only two simple fanarts - "bayformised" portraits of two of my characters.

Haywire:

ngym39.jpg

and Deathlark:

ka3hic.jpg
  • leonkatleonkat Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    oh my XD

I want that figure!
    edited March 2014
    Something I made because sometimes, in RP, it was quite troublesome to explain how this can fit into this (obviously, not everyone saw Bayformers 2, but then, nothing of value was lost).

So, if a picture is worth a thousand words, I think I wrote a small essay.

BTW - do lack of skin counts as nudity? :tongue:

212h0l3.jpg

t8rogk.jpg
    edited May 2014
    An experiment of sort.

I took Duskwing's lineart and colored it with two different digital techniques.

One is airbrushed, while the second one is just cell-shaded flats.

duskwing_v3_by_satapatis-d7hzx40.jpg

In the end, I couldn't decide which one I like the most...

So I merged both:

:biggrin:

2a8s0ax.jpg
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    An experiment of sort.

I took Duskwing's lineart and colored it with two different digital techniques.

One is airbrushed, while the second one is just cell-shaded flats.

duskwing_v3_by_satapatis-d7hzx40.jpg

In the end, I couldn't decide which one I like the most...

So I merged both:

:biggrin:

2a8s0ax.jpg

*Slow Golf clap*

Ah man.. i'll get to this level of skill some-day. XD

These are very nice Meeda, i really LOVE your style. These look incredible! Keep up the good work :D
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
    edited May 2014
    duskwing_p_04_by_satapatis-d7jb5j5.jpg

Now, this one is much simpler lineart than I usually do, so mayyybe I'll have motivation to develop it past one or two scenes.
    edited May 2014
    Damn, that's awesome. Very clean. Almost makes me want to go back to digital inking. :P
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2014
    And a finished page:

duskwing_p_04_color_by_satapatis-d7jovos.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Damn, that looks great! Awesome work with the colors and the sound effects. Only thing I'd change is I wouldn't cover the gun with the effects; it's a shame to lose that great linework. (Also you've got a bit of a typo - you want "commercializing" not "commercialize.")

Great work all around, you should seriously consider doing a full 22-page book.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Fixed.
    Also, unfortunately there is not enough space to fit the boom both close to the gun barrel and not going over anythin else, including space that needs to be left clean because it might be cut by the printer.
    Also, colors were oversaturated. Switched it to CMYK.
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Very awesome, lines and finished page.
    AC
  • ectooneectoone Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    These are so awesome. Nice to see my Recurve character up there. Are you ever going to do commissions again? I'd love to get some more.
    edited June 2014
    ectoone wrote: »
    Are you ever going to do commissions again? I'd love to get some more.
    I'll certainly let you know when I'll be open for commissions. Most likely I'll write on my dA page.

Now...

2jfypmd.jpg

That's something remastered from an old sketch.

Two characters of the same theme and origin.
    Number 1 is an old OC of mine, number 2 is its CO knock-off.

It might be seen as an example of tweaks forced by different medium. Number 1 was designed for drawing and coloring, number 2 is bound to limitations of the character creator and costume parts (not to mention, they're two different characters from different continuities).

Number 1 is much better adapted for printing and coloring. Warm bronze would made character standing out of the backgrounds, as usually they're colored in colder tones. Number 2 has no such limitations, because it exists as a model in 3d environment, so colors aren't as important.

There's an obvious downfall to both designs, but it would be much more annoying with number 1 intended purpose - like having wings of the same color as character body, which makes it kinda merging together, or having wings in general (it makes action poses tedious to plan, as they're gettin in the way of everything - which forces frontal shots).

And this one might be even of use for someone!

coloring_by_satapatis-d7lje0d.jpg
    edited April 2015
    Yo, remember when we were given this cool Cyberpunk costume with augmented skin?

Augmented skin, I say. The best costume ever released. I like it soo much, I simply can't stop using it.

15ojcps.jpg

Oh, wait...

This one started as an almost exact copy of CO costume parts, then I've started making changes. Because if you aren't limited by editor, why to not change things to your liking?

It was also a test. How close I can get to the drawing look without using things like line shaders. It was not rendered in Freestyle. Controur is photoshoped, but other black lines are painted on textures.

And it's actually a pretty simple model. Less han 7k tris total with no subdivisions, and slightly more than 21k with them. Its look is held together mostly by smoothing groups and textures.

2w5spxd.jpg

And with post-processing (hard shading, outlines):

fycpdl.jpg

2dbpah5.jpg
    edited June 2015
    Was recently poking around in 3d to check if I can even follow my own concept art, or not.

qskt9f.jpg

15qya1z.jpg

33dgjrn.jpg

aac40x.jpg

Next stop: texturing this thing so it doesn't look that spartan.
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yo, remember when we were given this cool Cyberpunk costume with augmented skin?

Augmented skin, I say. The best costume ever released. I like it soo much, I simply can't stop using it.

15ojcps.jpg

Oh, wait...

This one started as an almost exact copy of CO costume parts, then I've started making changes. Because if you aren't limited by editor, why to not change things to your liking?

It was also a test. How close I can get to the drawing look without using things like line shaders. It was not rendered in Freestyle. Controur is photoshoped, but the rest lines are apinted on textures.

And it's actually a pretty simple model. Less han 7k tris total with no subdivisions, and slightly more than 21k with them. Its look is held together mostly by smoothing groups and textures.

2w5spxd.jpg

And with post-processing (hard shading, outlines):

fycpdl.jpg

2dbpah5.jpg

Beautiful stuff, I love it.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • khadharkhadhar Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Was recently poking around in 3d to check if I can even follow my own concept art, or not.

That awkward moment when the fanwork is better than a team of professionals...
    And the mome raths outgrabe.
  • velis3velis3 Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    fycpdl.jpg

2dbpah5.jpg

In an alternate universe, Handsome Jack is a woman...
    ...or perhaps he just has a sister?
    edited June 2015
    33e1wrr.jpg

That awkward moment when the fanwork is better than a team of professionals...
    Well, Meeda does have one advantage - no execs breathing down his/her neck demanding to know when the work is done and exactly what percentage of profit increase is expected from its release.

On the other tentacle, it'd sure be nice if there was some way Cryptic could use Meeda's models to fix the damn costume set, saving them some time and (presumably) development costs...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited June 2015
    If this team is a max one person doing the entire set (and that's quite possible), then I have an advantage of doing it in afternoons and in no hurry.

On the other hand, Cryptic modelers have knowledge about the system*, and I'm poking around a pile of loose scavenged files.

*) - Ok, sometimes I am sceptical about this one.
    edited June 2015
    33e1wrr.jpg

Nice job meeda.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Quick and dirty sketch of my Munitions toon.

2j3qkap.jpg

They are all amazing but this one is my fave it has this Tank Girl vibe to it ^__^
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
    edited June 2015
    And a first bigger departure from my own project...

Which is actually a kind of speedhack. Those panels on tights may look more detailed than just having a set of bands, but this way I don't have to worry about textures meeting perfectly at UV seams.

27zwu8p.jpg

m7qkgh.jpg

+edit:

There's one big disadvantage of camo patterns. Only good looking camos have at least three colors. There are some nice looking patterns with two colors only, but they're mostly of the "tiger stripes" variety and don't look good on mirrored parts. So, if there's a camouflage skin for models, everything but camouflage is left with the one color channel only.
    On the other hand, it's not like real world military machines are very colorful things...

2v93fi8.jpg

Also, a test. This piece had windows modeled with normalmaps instead of geometry. So it was possible to have two versions of backpack (and a chestpiece too) - with and without a windshield. The camo variant has only some generic armor panels.

smy811.jpg
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Which is actually a kind of speedhack. Those panels on tights may look more detailed than just having a set of bands, but this way I don't have to worry about textures meeting perfectly at UV seams.

27zwu8p.jpg

m7qkgh.jpg

This is pretty damn legit, now if only the developers did as good of a job as this.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015

27zwu8p.jpg

m7qkgh.jpg

Wow. I'm not sure what's more impressive, your ability to out-model Cryptic employees, or your ability to read my mind. That's a paint job, some LED racing stripes, and a human head away from my mental image of Sister Silicon Prime. Everything CO provides is either too skeletal, too bulky, or just a normal map.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited June 2015
    2v93fi8.jpg

Also, a test. This piece had windows modeled with normalmaps instead of geometry. So it was possible to have two versions of backpack (and a chestpiece too) - with and without a windshield. The camo variant has only some generic armor panels.

smy811.jpg

Once again...very nicely done meeda.
    zrdRBy8.png
    edited June 2015
    And done.

Probably it should be rigged for posing, but meh. No real need to go that far.

variable_robot_1_by_satapatis-d8x58g2.png

Camo variant:

variable_robot_2_by_satapatis-d8x585i.png

Alternate windshields. Textures only, geo stays the same.

variable_robot_3_by_satapatis-d8x57uv.png

variable_robot_4_by_satapatis-d8x57t2.png
    Post edited by meedacthunist on
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    And done.

Probably it should be rigged for posing, but meh. No real need to go that far.

vrr1_by_satapatis-d8x58g2.png

vrr2_by_satapatis-d8x585i.png

Alternate windshields. Textures only, geo stays the same.

vrr3_by_satapatis-d8x57uv.png

vrr4_by_satapatis-d8x57t2.png

see.....now this i would of paid well over 1000zen. Package it with a vehicle and they could of charged a 2000+zen. Oh well...
  • skybourne3skybourne3 Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Is there any alternatives to tablets because I wanted to draw my alt
    http://imgur.com/lpvDdN0
    edited June 2015
    skybourne3 wrote: »
    Is there any alternatives to tablets because I wanted to draw my alt
    http://imgur.com/lpvDdN0

Not really, no.

Tablets are pretty much needed for anything but pixel and vector art.

Of course you can always go with traditional pen and pencil and then scan your art.
    And now Haywire is finally going on his ill-earned deserved vacations...

24wh7go.jpg

• novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    Beautiful. I'm lost for words.
    edited July 2015
    To go with Deathlark The Animated Series, but this time it's pure robotic handsomness. tiger-2.gif

Haywire_TAS.jpg
    ​​
    Post edited by meedacthunist on
    It does have a Borderlands style to it, what with the "ink" lines all over it and the style of the hair, but Handsome Jack doesn't have the "augmented skin" thing going on. He's just got a mask on.​​
    biffsig.jpg
    It's just an augmented skin cyberpunk concept, but it ends looking similar to Borderlands because textures were colored the same way how comic books are colored (with cuts, gradients and lineart) and then it was set with a non-realistic cartoon rendering. For example, her eyeballs are entirely painted, material is only slightly glossy. Lights and reflections are painted on textures.​​
    edited July 2015
    I actually meant features :smiley:

to wit:

tumblr_na2nqjbG1b1rq28gno1_400.jpg

Jack just has very crude hinges on his mask and this style of drawing brows is quite common in comics.
    Both are looking similar because Borderlands are also based on a comic book look.

Is Adam Jensen based on Handsome Jack? Because he'll end looking similar in a more comic booky style.
    ​​
    Not my toon, but a CO toon nonetheless.

fathom___commission_by_satapatis-d9z1ezu.jpg

This was supposed to be a generic action pose. Before I started adding things just because reasons.​​
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    That's very nice, the array of greens is awesome.
    AC
  • raighnraighn Posts: 2,339 Arc User
    I love your style... I might have to hit you up for a commision one of these days...
    ^-^ cute, cuddly, @Pandabutt ^-^
    jniKqKJ.png