test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cause and Effect

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
Cause: Players complain that there isn't enough new permanent content coming out, content that is coming out is too short, and is too focused on vehicles. Players also complain that the game is too focused around lockboxes.

Effect: A 2 minute open mission about racing vehicles, new vehicles in the drifter store, new lockbox, all part of a temporary event.

I get that there's this whole "vocal forum minority" thing... but at some point, it seems like whatever we ask for here gets an equal and opposite reaction in the game. I think the devs actively hate forum posters.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    basically. Not sure about the hate part but definate they are not paying much attention.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The devs have no direction because they have no leader or vision.

I use the word "they" very loosely.

Maintenence Mode was a saying made SPECIFICALLY for Champions Online.. no other Cryptic game has earned the title.
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They already have a plan of what they want to do. By time plans are revealed its already too late to suggest ideas to make features work the best they can. Also, alert queues took up the rest of the server space to add permanent content so its no longer an option.

Looking forward to an even more preposterous race and a costume piece hidden behind a rank up catalyst or freeform slot purchase next week.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looking forward to an even more preposterous race and a costume piece hidden behind a rank up catalyst or freeform slot purchase next week.

Now that's just silly.

They said that the new phases for each event were coming out every two weeks.
    I think the Devs might be under PWE's command at this, and they're being forced to make what sells.

Now, I have to admit I've got a couple of vehicles... but the truth of the matter is, most of the time if I buy keys, I need Globals and I need to stop doing that.

I think we all do.

But the bad part about it is, 'keys sell' is an accurate statement, mainly because we're not being offered anything else to buy. So yeah, everyone in this building loves pizza delivery... but there's nothing else to eat around here.
  • honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ignorance is not bliss, its just ignorance, and theres a lot of it.

Thats why im so pessimistic
  • prootwaddleprootwaddle Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Now, I have to admit I've got a couple of vehicles... but the truth of the matter is, most of the time if I buy keys, I need Globals and I need to stop doing that.

I think we all do.

I try to raise Global directly by beating up enemies as I look for skill objects as I complete missions or invent tasks of my own.

I have been tempted to buy keys and sell them but I'm saving up my Zen for two extra slots, which is quite a considerable outlay.

Superhero stories, done well, are about modern archetypes.

A Prootwaddle is one of the weirder player-character races in "The Fantasy Trip", Steve Jackson's first published role-playing game.
    edited April 2013
    Foundry locked behind $300. Buy now and get access to it when it gets into beta in 2015.
  • scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They don't hate us.

It's just that lockboxes and vehicles make more money than the things we want.

Mystery solved.
  • evillegacy1evillegacy1 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think the Devs might be under PWE's command at this, and they're being forced to make what sells.

I think we all do.

But the bad part about it is, 'keys sell' is an accurate statement, mainly because we're not being offered anything else to buy. So yeah, everyone in this building loves pizza delivery... but there's nothing else to eat around here.

The question is, how the hell do they knw what sells? Only change they had was vehicles and lockboxes. Unless there are stuff there that they tried to do but didnt sell so they hanged, you know like new costumes, new missions, and the likes.
  • thearkadythearkady Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    It's just that lockboxes and vehicles make more money than the things we want.

How would they know that? It's not like there has been anything else to by since, uh... for a while. Well, not new stuff, anyways.
    edited April 2013
    Of course vehicles and lockboxes makes more money than anything else. They haven't released anything else.

The only positive is that what costume pieces we do get is tradable and is dropped temporarily.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    previously lockboxes were called grab bags. They were in the shop for 100zen. no key needed.

This did not sell enough, so we are flooded with boxes which require keys selling at 100zen in order to open.

It's working on the" in your face" and "curiosity" factors. You have them in your bags so are more likely to wan to know whats in them.
    Boxes in the store are "out of sight, out of mind"

costumes, af's and AT's are purchased once per acct.

boxes can be a never ending stream.

Apparently on STO it's even worse with the boxes.

what players want is of no relevence to PWE. Their business model is based around microtransactions.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes, but in STO the lockboxes are significantly more valuable. For one thing, you are guaranteed Lobi per box, which can be used to buy really cool/valuable stuff (you have to open a lot of boxes to get the good stuff, but quelle surprise). Everything that drops is likely to be useful to someone, and rare ship drops can be fantastically valuable.

The problem is that there's little of equivalent value for CO. I suppose something comparable would be very rare AT unlock drops or something, or still having Freeform slots drop.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The question is, how the hell do they knw what sells? Only change they had was vehicles and lockboxes. Unless there are stuff there that they tried to do but didnt sell so they hanged, you know like new costumes, new missions, and the likes.

They did try selling costume sets and playable content (AP's). They have also used lockboxes, grab bags, vehicles, etc.

With access to the data for both they have opted to focus on the latter. The implications are not pleasant, but they are there.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chaelk wrote: »
    Apparently on STO it's even worse with the boxes.
    The keys are more expensive, the boxes only stack to 10, storage is more limited (especially for free players), and every time someone gets the big prize out of the box, it's splashed across the middle of your screen in system-alert yellow (which cannot be pre-empted): "captainjerk@moneywaster was awarded a Jem'Hadar baby buggy!"

Yeah, our lockboxes suck, but they could suck so much worse...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited April 2013
    I rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it.

If Foundry ever comes to CO you'll never hear me complain again. I'm serious. I don't give two sh*ts about bugs and imbalance. I just want content and its a bonus if players can make it too. I just want something different to do and explore every week.
  • zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic: Amen.

If CO got Foundry, and it worked at least as well as STO (but ideally something more on par with NW), I'd be ecstatic, probably drop a lifetime, and I wouldn't ask for anything more than bug fixes ever again.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • seratuhlseratuhl Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zahinder wrote: »
    Yes, but in STO the lockboxes are significantly more valuable. For one thing, you are guaranteed Lobi per box, which can be used to buy really cool/valuable stuff (you have to open a lot of boxes to get the good stuff, but quelle surprise). Everything that drops is likely to be useful to someone, and rare ship drops can be fantastically valuable.

The problem is that there's little of equivalent value for CO. I suppose something comparable would be very rare AT unlock drops or something, or still having Freeform slots drop.

CO's equivalent of Lobi is Drifter Salvage.

In fact, A LOT of the stuff in the Drifter store is absurdly valuable, and I would be upset if I won the actual lockbox prizes instead of Drifter salvage.
  • baroness1980baroness1980 Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I rather get STO's level of lockbox suck if worthwhile updates come with it.

If Foundry ever comes to CO you'll never hear me complain again. I'm serious. I don't give two sh*ts about bugs and imbalance. I just want content and its a bonus if players can make it too. I just want something different to do and explore every week.

This...

give me foundry and i wont complain again...

I will limit myself to the suggestion threads... period