test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Expand Beam Rifle into a full set

bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
edited April 2013 in Suggestions Box
I think Beam Rifle can be expanded into a full set relatively easily:

1. We have the energy attacks from Aftershock, (in the form of devices from Viper troops); Those could be made into new cone attacks for Beam Rifle.

2. Add a reskin of grenade - just have the grenade glow w/ whatever color the powers are set to, and have it deal particle damage.

3. Add a charge up attack that deals heavy damage w/ a 100' range - basically just use orbital cannon's animation, only rotated 90 degrees w/ the gun as the point of origin, (or just use one of the animations from the newer power armor attacks). Heck, you could even just use the chest beam animation, only coming from the gun.

4. Add a "plasma thrower" attack which simply uses fire breath's animation, but coming from the gun.

5. Add a "plasma rocket" attack which uses the rocket from rocket launcher, but fired from the particle rifle.

6. Add a variant of munitions bots that use the various pulse beam rifle attacks instead of munitions attacks. Bonus points if they can be given slightly different skins, (perhaps they can use small and recolored exocet models from the lemurian invasion).

7. Add a variant of "parry" which has you fire off a quick shot from your rifle, instead of returning w/ a kick.

Edit: This would also allow the creation of an AT, and could possibly be accompanied by a related costume set.
<::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
"Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    /signed

But don't forget the pistols! Currently, our only laser pistol power has the (dis)advantage of turning the target into a teddy bear. :rolleyes:

Actually, by combining and expanding laser rifles, pistols and swords, a whole new power set could be created.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally i mainly want something like SMG but with a look that fits to Pulse Beam Rifle, so a maintained cone AoE.

But .. a beam version of Lead Tempest would also be nice :biggrin:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    Particle guns set.
    With dual particle pistols, single particle pistols and more than one particle rifle.
    That would be great.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    STAR WARS!!!!

da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da da, daaaaaa da da da daaaaaa da, da da da daaaaaa da dadadadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh, certainly there would be comparisons drawn - but comic books had energy weapons and laser swords when George was still in film school. Heck, when George was still in grade school! So yeah, I don't think this is a bad idea at all.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for something like the classic "energy projector" type from Champs PnP - not firing flames or ice, but actual particle-damage attacks from the hands. (Sure, I could fake it with some of the Power Armor set, but not easily, especially as a Silver...)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Particle guns set.
    With dual particle pistols, single particle pistols and more than one particle rifle.
    That would be great.

we've already got single particle pistols ;p Experimental Blaster, Experimental Burst Ray, they are both single particle pistol XD the EBR uses the same cone animation as the Viper Rifle by the way so....

I'll sign this as it needs to happen. and perhaps expand the sonic blasters it needs a solid single target attack.
  • Options
    vorshothvorshoth Posts: 596 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I love lasers a lot. <alliteration bonus+1>

Something I would add is that I would like a 'Charged Up' rifle blast. Effectively, this turns the rifle into a shotgun, with a cone spread with knockback, but with particle damage. I don't even mind if it has a chance of teddification if we have more settings for our rifles.
    [SIGNATURE REDACTED]
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    thebuckeye wrote: »
    we've already got single particle pistols ;p Experimental Blaster, Experimental Burst Ray, they are both single particle pistol XD the EBR uses the same cone animation as the Viper Rifle by the way so....
    I'll sign this as it needs to happen. and perhaps expand the sonic blasters it needs a solid single target attack.

I was thinking about more good looking pistol powers using the same energy bolt animation as particle rifle. Current invertor pistols have really bland and boring animations. In comparison particle rifles and particle PA attacks have really great looking FXes.

Not to mention those poor easter eggs mandatory random effects, something that makes me never using those powers.

Also a few skins for pistols can't be even used with gadgeteering blasters.
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Not to mention those poor easter eggs mandatory random effects, something that makes me never using those powers.

Also they are charged attacks i think, and i never really liked charges and prefer maintains.
    Also i think maintains fit simply better to pistols.
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Hey you want lasers and phasers and brazers and hazers, you could go to that other game with aaaaaaaall that and sexy mans in tight spandex outfits!

startrek-phasers.jpg

Real talk.

• Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    *erhm Trollface* and if you want to throw fireballs go play that "Other" MMO :tongue:

seriously smooch, Blaster Rifles have been in comics well before Shatner uttered the phrase, "...where no man has gone before..." In fact one of the very first lasers to appear was in a novel by H.G. Wells in 1898. This novel was called....War of the Worlds! The weapon was referred to in the novel as a Heat Ray, but essentially it functioned the same way as our modern lasers do. Producing an intense, invisible beam of heat generated in a chamber of the weapon and focused with a parabolic mirror.

you can go HERE for the rest of the origin of the ray guns in science fiction if you're at all interested.

True Talk....oh and by the way Lightsabers are the copy of a weapon from a 1952 story David Starr, Space Ranger by Issac Asimov, they were originally called Force Field Blades. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's funny because people think I'm trying to say this idea is inappropriate for CO. You guys realize we have an archetype modeled after Jedis, as well as light saber powers, right?

Ten bucks to the first person who can qoute me saying this idea doesn't belong here. Humble pie to everyone else. Btw I only brought pie.

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anyone else think it's weird that the icon for particle rifle uses little bolts of energy for the icon, while pulse beam rifle has a solid beam? I feel the icons should be reversed.

As for fleshing out the set - well, like I mentioned in the OP, many of the animations are already there, so it shouldn't take too much work to make them player-accessible.

In general, though, I feel that the sets that have your character using add another level of customization for our characters. Also, I want another set, gosh darnit!
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums