test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jack interested in acquiring CoH?

majormapleleaf99majormapleleaf99 Posts: 1 Arc User
So at a panel at Pax East Jack made a comment towards NCSoft to give him a call regarding City of Heroes. Interesting. Could two super hero MMOs survive under one publisher? How would that affect CO? How would dev support be divided amongst the titles?
Post edited by majormapleleaf99 on

Comments

• Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So at a panel at Pax East Jack made a comment towards NCSoft to give him a call regarding City of Heroes. Interesting. Could two super hero MMOs survive under one publisher? How would that affect CO? How would dev support be divided amongst the titles?

I think it would be cool if the two properties merged, adding in the CoH cites into Champs lore.

On thing I have always said is I feel the perfect game would be Champs Combat/Character builds in the COH world. The CoH world was soooo big and has soooo many more places to roam. That is what I missed so much about it.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    cellarrat33cellarrat33 Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    But then they would have to assign devs to merge the code streams...
    "There's something very important I forgot to tell you! Don't cross the streams... It would be bad... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light."
    -Egon Spengler

CellarRat33 :: formerly Bsquared

"The great thing about glory unending is that it's dirt cheap!" - Tateklys
    From the Adventures of Thundrax (canadascott)
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be honest, I prefer the Champions Universe. Its more fully developed and has greater depth. Only the tiniest fraction is being used in CO.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    But then they would have to assign devs to merge the code streams...

Maybe it is the fabeled 4th game?!?!?!? LET THE SPECUALTION BEGIN!!!

City of CHAMPIONS...or CoC...wait....oh that wont work.

City if Champion Heroes!...dag nabit!
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think he just wants its severed head on his mantle so he can gloat.
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    To be honest, I prefer the Champions Universe. Its more fully developed and has greater depth. Only the tiniest fraction is being used in CO.

By world I really meant Zones, sorry. I would definately change things to fit CO's world. Like change up the Rouge ilses into Destroyers Island. The Starting area in Freedom to the Champs HQ etc.

Then replace the mobs accordinly. then maybe reuse some of the COH baddies, I always loved the clockworks guys and Circle of Thorns.

Then retool the...crap can remember the name-the portl on Peregrine where you jumped from floating isle tot he next, change that into the Q-realm.
  • Options
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Interesting, no idea what Jack has in mind there. Last I heard though NCSoft wasn't interested in selling the title to anyone.
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't trust Jack and I blame him directly for the current state of CO...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    lokikin wrote: »
    I don't trust Jack and I blame him directly for the current state of CO...

Him and that Executive Producer guy...its been so long...what was his name?
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dear God, no. Jack Emmert nearly ruined CoX until he was fired and Matt Miller was moved up to his vacated position. Only then did the game truly begin to soar.

Also....someone else mentioned this...but NCSoft is unwilling to part with ANY of its closed IPs. The company has a track record of sitting on shut down titles and IPs, so I highly doubt Jack Emmert is the golden boy to change NCSoft's mind and position on this matter.

My faith is in the Phoenix Project or Heroes and Villains. Both offshoots from the CoX /community/ to try and form a game that is a true spiritual successor to the CoH/V universe. Just without copyright infringement. :)

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    I really hope it's only an April Fool's prank.

I'd rather not see CoX handled just like Cryptic is now handling CO, neither any superhero franchise presented in such cheesy manner like CO is.

Also, a superhero game under Jack Emmert? No, thanks.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Also....someone else mentioned this...but NCSoft is unwilling to part with ANY of its closed IPs. The company has a track record of sitting on shut down titles and IPs, so I highly doubt Jack Emmert is the golden boy to change NCSoft's mind and position on this matter

There's a double whammy in that.

One, given how petty NCSoft has been about everything else surrounding CoH's closure, you don't think they'll hold a grudge against Jack Emmert for starting "Fight Club" (aka "Marvel Online" aka Champions Online) not long after CoH launched? Everybody got what they got in the Cryptic/Paragon divorce for a reason.

Two, according to the post-mortem rumor mill, NCSoft was over-pricing the CoH property by an order of magnitude and refusing serious offers outright. It was a ruse, just so they could shrug and say, "Welp, we tried." NCSoft knows it, we know it, and I'm sure Jack knows it. Maybe he was using the stage as a chance to needle any NCSoft execs who were watching, but nothing more.

Besides, Jack is dealing from a position of weakness. NCSoft can always point to how Cryptic has bungled the Champions community as a reason to not deal on CoH, regardless of the success of Star Trek or Neverwinter.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    April Fools....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think we could easily move CoH city models over to Champions.
    Its just a bunch of Studio Max files.
    All the audio and mission text could port over super fast as well.

All that would be left is to get quality character models for those shabby City of Heroes ones and we'd be super.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I think we could easily move CoH city models over to Champions.
    Its just a bunch of Studio Max files.
    All the audio and mission text could port over super fast as well.

All that would be left is to get quality character models for those shabby Champions Online ones and we'd be super.

Fix'd for ya. Free of charge, too.

Honestly, this game's character models aren't much of an improvement over CoX's. The game could use a complete overhaul in the art department to bring it up to speed to today's graphics, IMHO.

• Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Hope he pulls that off. Having both the CoH IP back in Cryptics hands would be epic even if they only get the IP. I am still wanting to see Statesman and Defender doe some trapping of miscreants between them XD.

But still if CoX proper can be revived that be pure win.

Also before it happens CoX vets shut up we dont want flat faces in CO -.-

Also before CoX vets moan at me telling them to shut up ima CoX vet so ima telling myself to shut up..so shut up! There thats yew told -.-
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow..just trying to imagine Lady Liberty and Witchcraft on the same team..along with the "classic" attitude of Defender and Statesman...I think I'd employ someone to just end them...too cheesy! XD

But if this was true..

I'd love to have CO power graphics (like the force fields o_o) with CoH Powersets and CO Character Creation and Customisation with CoH various Maps...
  • Options
    dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ok no, i find it VERY unlikely that NCsoft is going to sell the rights to Jack after they left, i would not be surprised is NCsoft is holding a grudge against him.

Personally as much as i would love to see the two universes merged given the age of COH, they would have to covert everything into champs which will NOT happen since we have only like maybe 2 developers in the game. and they are NOT going to convert models and content that's over 8 years old.

cryptic already has too much on its plate as it is with all 3 games they have going on right now.

so..

and even if they DID get it, they would have to do ALOT of hard work to even get my faith back
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Apparently Mr. Emmert still considers City of Heroes as his, and in this article, doesn't just not mention Champions Online at all, but totally disses it in favor of Star Trek online.

I'll link the article, but here's the paragraphs containing the quotes I'm referring to:

"One thing both Cryptic and Perfect World have been successful with is free-to-play. I asked Emmert how he felt about the free-to-play market, and he said, ?The amazing thing about free-to-play is that it reaches an industry. If you were a gaming person, it seemed like everyone was talking about City of Heroes, and everyone played it. At our peak, we had 180,000 subscribers. But with free-to-play, I?m attracting a far wider audience. I?m a little nervous about Neverwinter, to be honest. I?m thinking about ordering more servers.?"

He doesn't mention how the game exploded after he left or after the initial f2p conversion. Convenient.

Second paragraph and quote:

"One of the keys to free-to-play design is getting monetization and content updates right. Would Neverwinter be a game where you pay for expansions, content updates, and the like? Emmert says no. ?Content?s free. There?s no subscription, and no buying a box. The reason why people come to the game is the content. Our particular belief is that the best thing we can do is make it free, and then to provide the other things that players want to pay for to enhance their game experience. We feel like that?s a recipe for success. I want to do three major updates a year, and those updates will be content, new systems, similar to what we do with Star Trek Online. The magnitude and the frequency and events, look at STO ? that?s going to be our model.?

Totally ignoring the hypocrisy of the rest of the paragraph....the highlighted part is the CO diss.

And here's the link to the entire article:
    http://www.gamefront.com/cryptic-ceo-jack-emmert-talks-neverwinter-mmos-and-more/

• Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Full disclosure: I've been watching the discussion of this topic here and on the Titan boards all day.

First, merging the games is unrealistic, strictly from a workload standpoint. The graphical elements are visually incompatible. You're basically looking at starting from scratch. I'd personally rather see them put the work into more IP-centric content. There's a lot of sourcebook content they haven't cracked open, yet.

Second, the higher-ups at Paragon were not kind about the state of the code in CoH was such that it would take a full development team a year, working full time, just to get to the point where they can maintain it. Now, we are talking about the potential of getting it back into the hands of the studio that originally created it, but we don't know how true that really is. Who, besides Emmert, is still with Cryptic after the split? Nevermind that it's been 5 years.

I'm certainly encouraged by the comment from Jack, but more from the general tenor of the discussion around the comment. The biggest thing that has struck me in going through interviews and such with Emmert over the past month is the sudden mentions of City of Heroes, not always positive, but next to nothing about Champions. I'm more concerned about the silence than I am encouraged by an off-hand comment.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    atring wrote: »
    Full disclosure: I've been watching the discussion of this topic here and on the Titan boards all day.

First, merging the games is unrealistic, strictly from a workload standpoint. The graphical elements are visually incompatible. You're basically looking at starting from scratch. I'd personally rather see them put the work into more IP-centric content. There's a lot of sourcebook content they haven't cracked open, yet.

Second, the higher-ups at Paragon were not kind about the state of the code in CoH was such that it would take a full development team a year, working full time, just to get to the point where they can maintain it. Now, we are talking about the potential of getting it back into the hands of the studio that originally created it, but we don't know how true that really is. Who, besides Emmert, is still with Cryptic after the split? Nevermind that it's been 5 years.

I'm certainly encouraged by the comment from Jack, but more from the general tenor of the discussion around the comment. The biggest thing that has struck me in going through interviews and such with Emmert over the past month is the sudden mentions of City of Heroes, not always positive, but next to nothing about Champions. I'm more concerned about the silence than I am encouraged by an off-hand comment.

Back Alley Brawler, Doc Aeon, Castle, and I think Synapse. Tumerboy was an env artist, as seen on the original box credits for CoH. Some who didn't talk at all on CoH forums, too.

So maybe not everyone, but there are some.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    seanceseance Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Jack Emmert's remarks are here: http://da.twitch.tv/pax/b/380836937 and begin around 7:14 or so.

I'm impressed not only with Dave Georgeson (Everquest franchise head) and his reaction to City of Heroes' closure, but with the Carbine guy's negative reaction to CoH's closure as well. (And I imagine he could get into a bit of trouble for that, which, by the look on his face, he knew when he said it.)

It kind of seemed like Jack's remarks were more of a passing joke than seriously made, but I'd like to know for sure.

Wouldn't it be PWI that would be buying the CoH IP anyway, though, if it ever did happen? How much control over money and that kind of decision-making would Jack realistically have anyway?

Is there a way to PM Jack through these forums, and would he even respond if I did?

Obviously I was a long-time CoH player who would love more than anything to get my favorite MMO back. (And not as something partially absorbed into any other game, thank you, but as its own entity.)

NCSoft could sure use a bit of good publicity nowadays, what with their reputation as MMO killers at an all-time high in the west, and Blade & Soul and Wildstar incoming to NA and EU. You wonder if they might finally break down and sell the CoH IP if a serious offer was made about now.

Is there any way to contact Jack directly about how serious he really was with his comments?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I thought I remembered Doc Aeon's farewell saying he came in through content he developed via Architect.

Regardless, that's actually good to know, should anything come of this.

Oh, and, hey, Brou. I'm DWTurducken. :)

Do we know their names, here? The PM idea is being floated on the Titan boards, as well.

• Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    seance wrote: »
    Is there any way to contact Jack directly about how serious he really was with his comments?
    http://www.crypticstudios.com

Click on one of the option in contact.

Hi, DWTurducken.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fix'd for ya. Free of charge, too.

Honestly, this game's character models aren't much of an improvement over CoX's. The game could use a complete overhaul in the art department to bring it up to speed to today's graphics, IMHO.

I'm genuinely curious. In what way are CoH models better? I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, and that's fine, but at the very least on a technical level, Champions are better models. Is it just the style you like better? To me it's the difference between UT and UT 3.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, that looks more official and, therefore, requires forethought and sobriety. :redface:

Also, thank you, Biff. I was trying to remember your forum name for the discussion over on the Titan boards. I'm glad your presence was not to bring down The Smack Hammer. :)

• Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm genuinely curious. In what way are CoH models better? I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, and that's fine, but at the very least on a technical level, Champions are better models. Is it just the style you like better? To me it's the difference between UT and UT 3.

the faces are what gets me. they are very low detail here and look plastic, coh had unchanging expressions, and that was unpleasant. but a few faces looked like a person's face, not like a plastic doll face like co's do. that said, having more detail nodes than coh is very nice, and since my characters tend to be monsters, robots or such anyhow, weird faces can be explained away. its just humans that look weird.

as for jack buying coh..you know what, coh actually had enough content that if he brought it back, maybe hired on paragon staff that would work for cryptic(matt is unlikely, melissa maybe) and kept it going but without a huge amount of content, id have enough to play with for a long time. coh was very content rich already, so it could actually work in maintenance mode. i lack the dislike for jack from coh that most people have, tough in co...i have come to appreciate his actions far less, but if he actually pried the gaem from ncsoft's evil, evil hands, id be ecstatic. maybe he can rescue tabula rasa too. not his baby, but pwi does not have a future sci-fi setting shooter. chances seem slim because ncsoft loves to keep its games dead, but that would be amazing news if true.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    the faces are what gets me. they are very low detail here and look plastic, coh had unchanging expressions, and that was unpleasant. but a few faces looked like a person's face, not like a plastic doll face like co's do.

I can see that, it would be nice if we had some face textures. But hey, if you're not putting a mask on your superhero, you ain't doing it right! :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Posts: 2,382 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I think CoH's faces and some of the costumes have more character than CO's. (and auras) CoH faces have expression and emotion that CO avatars lack.

But I prefer the graphical quality of CO more, as well as some of the ability to tweak the costumes (like setting the sides differently).
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I can see that, it would be nice if we had some face textures. But hey, if you're not putting a mask on your superhero, you ain't doing it right! :P

mask? please, robotic exoskeleton :D
    zahinder wrote: »
    Yeah, I think CoH's faces and some of the costumes have more character than CO's. (and auras) CoH faces have expression and emotion that CO avatars lack.

But I prefer the graphical quality of CO more, as well as some of the ability to tweak the costumes (like setting the sides differently).
    i hear ya, asymmetry is nice.and coh needed the variety of back options that co had at launch. know what 3 things i miss though?
    1 tucked pants. our tucked pants arent baggy enough, i used tucked pants for martial artists
    2 camos that fit like camos. you can camo straight legged or baggy pants here, but the kind of loose at the legs, gathered knees and loose around the calves look from coh, I just cant get here.
    3. long martial arts robes. we do have gi tops, and we have the extensions for belts, but the long tops that hung down to your knee level and the side panel things from the martial arts booster pack? i loved them, the imperial dynasty pants too with the silk patterned looking pants. I appreciate the ninja tops and that other one in the integrated shoulders, and having the Buddhist prayer beads are a nice touch that i have used, but i miss a lot of the coh martial arts choices.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My appearance issue with CO has always been that it looks more like the Adam West Batman series, while CoH looked like the Christopher Nolan Batman movies. True, in CO, you have actual fingers, but many heroes don't wear masks. It's not even the lack of variety in textures. It's just a different look.

At least it's not as cartoony as WoW. :smile:

• Options
    edited April 2013
    rianfrost wrote: »
    mask? please, robotic exoskeleton :D

PFFFFSSSHHHHHH.

If you need a robotic exoskeleton..

You're not trying to be the best.
    Cause you're not a man.
    So you don't gotta learn to take it.

You're not trying to believe
    And the going doesn't get rough.
    And you don't hang tought to make it.

Your history doesn't repeat itself.
    You don't try, so you don't succeed.

You always doubt that you're the one
    And you don't have dreams.

You're the worst!
    Around!
    Things are always gonna keep you down!

You don't fight til the end
    Cause your life don't depend
    On the strength you don't even have inside you.

You can't be proud
    don't stare at the cloud
    Because the odds in the game defy you.

You don't try your best to win them all
    And time will never tell
    You're not the one that's standing there
    You won't reach the final bell.

You're the worst!
    Around!

You fight but you drop
    Always stop
    Always give up
    You won't reach the top (GIVE UP!)
    You're the worst in town (GIVE UP!)
    Don't listen to the sound
    You don't even got a little bit.
    You're gonna be brought down.

You're the worst!
    Around!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That...

Wow.

Just, wow.

• Options
    psychickittypsychickitty Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Blast...tried to be first after the moderator...and became second.... =;_;=

Anywise I thought Jack had said a number of time he was interested in City of Heroes.

He even had said this when it was announced it was being closed.
    Along with making sure to quall that weird rumor that was going around about the rights to the game running out for nc soft or something.

Also the team for cryptic has a bunch of city of heroes developers on it not just jack transferred and some also joined later.

If someone does a search I think biffsmackwell even commented in one of those threads....so a forum search should turn up the relevant information.

Power without Perception is Spiritually useless and therefore of no true value.

=^_^=

• Options
    edited April 2013
    atring wrote: »
    That...

Wow.

Just, wow.

...too much? :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    i enjoyed it thoroughly

but havent you heard? chicks dig giant robots
    ?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ...too much? :P

Nope. Just impressed. :smile:

• Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So this was the April Fools thread I saw mentioned in chat today.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    CoH was devised and created by Cryptic and as others have mentioned a lot of the original devs still work at Cryptic ...more now since Cryptic hired some ex Paragon guys.

CoH's servers should be with them rather than gathering dust with the NCSOFT wetbags.

I dont like Jack but if he does pull this of he might just redeem himself in the eyes of the larger mmo community.

And I do think the fate of CO's predecessor is a valid point to bring up.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If it's an AFD prank, it's a bit elaborate, since the video from the panel is available at MMORPG.com and on the PAXEast Twitch page. But, you know, whatever you wanna believe. I don't tend to trust the internet at face value, either, so I'm not gonna fault you a healthy sense of skepticism.

• Options
    sigmaseven0sigmaseven0 Posts: 714 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I never understood all the Jack hate. He has done at least as much good as bad.
    As for this, I wont be holding my breath, but If Jack felt like making COX 2 i would be all for it.

I also get the feeling that if we ever got the chance to see COX 2, NC Soft would be the ones to make it. Why sell such a beloved IP so someone else can milk it?
    Could two super hero MMOs survive under one publisher? How would that affect CO? How would dev support be divided amongst the titles?
    I would say no. I would kill off CO and roll the Champions lore i liked into the new "next great American superhero MMO" COX has better brand equity so its better if the new game carries the COH name.

PVP is starving without rewards

1. Please give us Daily PVP missions that reward Questionite.
    2. Please give us an exchange rate between Acclaim and Recognition so that PVP has access to all "On Alert" PVE rewards.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    As for this, I wont be holding my breath, but If Jack felt like making COX 2 i would be all for it.

I also get the feeling that if we ever got the chance to see COX 2, NC Soft would be the ones to make it. Why sell such a beloved IP so someone else can milk it?

I would say no. I would kill off CO and roll the Champions lore i liked into the new "next great American superhero MMO" COX has better brand equity so its better if the new game carries the COH name.

Use the City Name and its dark grim but with Champions lore? Makes sense City was inspired by the Champs PnP so its already half way there.
    Mother of Zod, Nepht starting a reign of terror in a all new world with the best of both would blow my mind @__@"

CO Toon transfer would have to also be a thing :3
  • Options
    dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited April 2013

We can't even get him to listen to us in THIS game let alone city of heroes, if he does get COH. Hes just admitting that they royally messed up this game, and they want to get back into our good graces.

fix this game first THEN we'll talk
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • Options
    gaslockegaslocke Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lets assume Jack wants the CoH IP, let's not automatically jump to the conclusion that he want's it for "MMO" reasons. They also own the Champions PnP IP, he might just want it to be able to put out CoH source material for an alternate setting for the Champions PnP game system.

But who really knows... I mean besides Jack.

Ashlocke was my original forum name but was unable to keep it during the PW forum migration. *Shakes Fist* :frown:
  • Options
    edited April 2013

I said Champions models were not much better than CoX models, not the other way 'round, Smacky. :)

But, to clarify, I really dislike the oddly proportioned limbs, elongated fingers, crescent moon shaped faces and general cartoony look of everything in the game. I do prefer a more realistic look to everything.

To me? Perfection would be a blend. Give the CoX models fingers. Adjustable body musculature. Different faces for the Champions models would be ever so much a great improvement, too.

I've learned to tweak sliders and such, but.....I still have to look at everyone else's horrid looking characters. (It's just my opinion of the art, so don't flip out. Some people have done a truly fantastic job with what's been provided, and my hat is off to them, but those kind of characters are few and far between.)

I've been playing a lot of Saint's Row the Third lately....and I find the main character models, both male and female to be what I think a damn good representation. The faces leave a lot to be desired, though. Again, perfection in that case would be a blend of CoX's multiple face templates with CO's in depth (in more ways than one, because yes, faces were flat!) customization.

• Options
    zazelbyzazelby Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So this was the April Fools thread I saw mentioned in chat today.

Unless April Fools Day has been moved to March 25th, then it's not an April Fools joke.

I could see Jack wanting CoH back, if only for the lore. Remember, CO, STO, and Neverwinter are all based on established third-party properties, but CoH's lore was based on Jack and his friends and their tabletop RP sessions. Statesman was a character that he himself created long before he started making MMOs (and could understandably want the rights to), which is not something that can be said for Defender or Captain Kirk.

"It is unthinkable. But such is the nature of villainy, don't you think? To do the unthinkable, to challenge the impossible, to conquer all before you and make destiny your own." - Ghost Widow

And that's why I like villains.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I said Champions models were not much better than CoX models, not the other way 'round, Smacky. :)

But, to clarify, I really dislike the oddly proportioned limbs, elongated fingers, crescent moon shaped faces and general cartoony look of everything in the game. I do prefer a more realistic look to everything.

To me? Perfection would be a blend. Give the CoX models fingers. Adjustable body musculature. Different faces for the Champions models would be ever so much a great improvement, too.

I've learned to tweak sliders and such, but.....I still have to look at everyone else's horrid looking characters. (It's just my opinion of the art, so don't flip out. Some people have done a truly fantastic job with what's been provided, and my hat is off to them, but those kind of characters are few and far between.)

I've been playing a lot of Saint's Row the Third lately....and I find the main character models, both male and female to be what I think a damn good representation. The faces leave a lot to be desired, though. Again, perfection in that case would be a blend of CoX's multiple face templates with CO's in depth (in more ways than one, because yes, faces were flat!) customization.

Gotta agree. As much as I did not care for COH as a game, I did like the faces and the generally less Saturday morning cartoony style. A blend of the two games would be very cool.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013

They're not. At all. CoH, certainly showed its age when you put the two side by side... But, ask any former CoH player anything comparing to CoH to CO and they will tell you CoH every time regardless of how ridiculous it sounds.

Frankly I'm not sure why some of these people even bother to play CO if they think its such an inferior game. having played both extensively, sometimes I read these opinions and am completely baffled because I seem to remember the exact opposite.

>_>
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    Neither CoX nor CO character models are really superior.

I do like more serious stylisation of CoX models and a lifelike feel of their faces (few of them). I also do like their animations, superior to CO stiff and unnatural movements.

It's an exact opposite of CO models with their too big hands and feets, generic doll faces and lifeless animations.

But as a whole, CoX models were dated and had strange proportions with tiny feets, hands and heads.

Not to mention that CoX had more costume parts, but CO has more options for using available costumes.

A good solution would be using CO way of making models with CoX way of more serious stylisation and a face textures, taking only the best of both games.

I've learned to tweak sliders and such, but.....I still have to look at everyone else's horrid looking characters. .
    It's even worse with NPC's. Every time when you know that Witchcraft or Sapphire are supposed to be pretty... Then you take a look at their atrocious ingame models. :X
  • Options
    slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    http://www.incgamers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/cityofheroes.jpg

versus

http://www.blogcdn.com/massively.joystiq.com/media/2012/06/co-sotg-epl-616.jpg

yes I can see how you think a blockyfaced lego headed model that is nearly a decade old is superior compared to smooth, clear models./textures of CO. Maybe you dislike the hands (and you realize there is a slider for that, right?) because CoX just didn't have hands, just nubby stubs that I suppose are supposed to be hands balled into fists. Regardless of your stylization preferences denying that CO has better graphics is just sily.