test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How to handle losing...

smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Hero Games
...in a calm, mature, and polite manner.

Discuss.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
Post edited by smoochan on

Comments

• lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

Huh? Why is smoochan's topic and post condescending? It will be good if all pvpers can handle defeat in a mature way. Every defeat is a learning experience and from defeat, you seek new breakthroughs for yourself to push your build/skills/gameplay to another level. To be able to accept defeat graciously and to take winnings humbly that's how it should be done.
  • braddkashhbraddkashh Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think some people should learn how to handle winning aswell. "gf" is enough. :tongue:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
    edited March 2013
    pallihwtf wrote: »
    I think some people should learn how to handle winning aswell. "gf" is enough. :tongue:

you forgot the ":)" after gf. Very important. :smile:
    edited March 2013
    Smoochy, please explain to me why I should stop lulling during kombat and instead care about how I'm perceived in a video game.This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    edited March 2013
  • ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited March 2013

Your reason should not be how others will see you but rather how you will see yourself.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
  • pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited March 2013

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
  • smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Huh? Why is smoochan's topic and post condescending? It will be good if all pvpers can handle defeat in a mature way. Every defeat is a learning experience and from defeat, you seek new breakthroughs for yourself to push your build/skills/gameplay to another level. To be able to accept defeat graciously and to take winnings humbly that's how it should be done.

See, I always want to be that person, who's totally like "Yeah, that was a learning experience! I'm going to be better now because of this!"...

But instead I tend to go to the "You're an <expletive> and you're a bad person! I'm going to point out how you only won because you're willing to resort to being evil!"

Of course, even after I do that I quickly end up telling myself "Hey... listen self... that's stupid and doesn't make sense, and on top of that isn't really fair."

That's one of my major issues with the current imbalances: It's just not fair to those players who are actually legitimately skilled. it's too easy to say "well you used these powers, and that's why you won", mostly because for the most part anyone can be right when they say that. Without those powers that person probably would have lost... that doesn't mean they're not skilled; in a duel where both people have the exact same build ( and devices ) the more skilled person, who is better at attacking when their opponents defenses are lowest and who can best capitalize on RNG, will consistently win. But right now builds are so lopsided that in any given confrontation skill can have about as much influence as the weather has on a boxing match.

As a sidenote, this thread isn't about you Lucidity. I know I know.. but honestly, you're not the only person who feels the need to act out after a loss, there are many people who do that, and to be honest they're justified in doing it to a certain extent; not because of the actions of the person who beat them, but because of the game that it happened in, and how that game has an almost psychotic approach to pvp balance.

edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    smoochan wrote: »

in a duel where both people have the exact same build ( and devices ) the more skilled person, who is better at attacking when their opponents defenses are lowest and who can best capitalize on RNG, will consistently win.

I think there in lies the point I keep trying to make. If it is about skills (button smashing capitalising on RNG etc) the best way will be to ensure both the same build, gear, mods, devices. That is probably the closest you will get in this game. However, this requires that both are equally familiar with this particular build then. For example, player A always use build A and player B has always use build B. Sure, player B can then create a build A for the purpose of duelling player A. However, player A will certainly have the advantage already simply because player A has been playing such a build for the longest of time while player B may lose not necessary because player B is less skilled but because player B has not gotten used to build A.

However I most certainly agree that the better PvPer will be the one who has better timing, awareness of environment etc. Unfortunately, CO does not have a system which can allow this to thrive. I for one, know that I suck at arcade style fighting games, FPS, fighter jet simulation and the list probably goes on hahaha. However, I am quite good at RPGs.

But we detract, this post is about how to be a gracious PvPer.
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    braddkashh wrote: »

No. This thread is about how to deal with it and not go all "ARGH!". Contribute.

edited March 2013
    [...]

But we detract, this post is about how to be a gracious PvPer.

Yes. <><><><>

edited March 2013
    Somehow people take this thread too personally...

This is a discussion of how to take losses and perhaps also how to behave after winning which is a good reminder for all of us.

Usually, if I lose, I will try to challenge the same player again for at least a couple more times to see if I can change my playing style and tactics to win. If I still lose, I will usually rethink my build and ask myself how do I counter that particular move etc. I guess it will also be fine to ask the other player how they build their toon so one can try to use the same build to counter. However, I generally prefer to use a different build from others so I do not do that.

If I find another player whose build is far inferior in PvP, I usually leave the bubble and then give that person some advice on the kind of powers which are more effective in PvP politely. Sometimes, people can take it the wrong way.

If I win, then it is either gf or gg and then I proceed to rezz the other person.
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    braddkashh wrote: »
    Power are what they are, period. Moving on....

Unless its about Imbue, at which point it deserves as many threads as possible right ?

• iwontpostderpiwontpostderp Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So, how do I lose/win?

Well that dependes on the actual duel: If I lose too soon (I get curbstomped 20 seconds after the duel or less) or if I win too soon/easily I won't bother saying something like gg, gf, nice fight, because to me it's simply not true, it wasn't a good fight.

If I get knocked out of the ring area or if I knock someone out, I'll usually resend a request to duel, unless the fight was annoyingly long and boring, at this point who got knocked out lose.

If the duel is dragging on and on and on and on, I'll suggest at my opponent a draw.

If the duel was interesting, difficult, or simply fun, I'll always say "nice fight, gf, gg" be it as a looser or winner.
    edited March 2013
  • xparibaxxparibax Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It might be just me but.... Isn't the point of playing a video game to have fun? Thus if something in the game isn't fun... why do it? If pvp makes folks upset and they angst and froth and cuss random people out after loosing [or, okay, winning, we've all seen that too]
    Perhaps another pastime is in order, one that doesn't cause such outbursts? :P
    Since I don't think many people would do that, and continue to pvp- I'd think it would be better to enjoy it as you can.

One can appreciate the skill involved in keyboard gymnastics, in the carefully tweaked builds, the moving, the timing, the crazy devices and the fact that most folks dueling have no idea what they're doing.
    It looks like fun, so they hang with their friends, to beat on each other a bit. Because we all know it's rather satisfying to curbstomp a friend good-naturedly, even more then it is to curbstomp a random stranger.

If I duel- which is very rare, I admit this- I fully expect to loose. I play AT. Most of them will loose to a half decent gold build- let alone a properly spec'ed pvp specific build. But even in loosing, it's still fun.
    So I thank them for their time, laugh over however I died this time around, celebrate the rare win-- and everyone has a good time. If you can' laugh at yourself first, should you be laughing at other people? :D

I know everyone doesn't look at the game the same way I do: each to his own taste. But still, in pvp -like alerts, like lair runs- I feel it is good manners to thank people [especially for healing done] say that I had a good time, got a good chuckle out of it and hey, maybe see you around.
    It doesn't take much to be polite, and most people appreciate it. Common courtesy should perhaps be more common. :P

^____^

edited March 2013
    How do you know who is upset and who isn't?
    edited March 2013

edited March 2013
    edited March 2013

edited March 2013
    Oddly enough, I feel like qouting myself is the best course of action at the moment.
    [...]
    As a sidenote, this thread isn't about you Lucidity. [...]

edited March 2013

I agree that the best way to take a loss is just to say gg or gf and leave it at that. People who say gg or gf then spam you with duels to no end (MrGameWatch comes to mind), are sore losers even if they act civil in my book.
    edited March 2013
    edited March 2013

edited March 2013
    edited March 2013
    Ahh, but I am easily amused. :D I have no problems admiting it either. If nothing else, I'm honest.
    And really, watching you chaps having a multi-page spat -well intentioned it might be- you have to admit- is very amusing. :)

^____^

• oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • lordraikenlordraiken Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2013
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...in a calm, mature, and polite manner.

Discuss.

I feel the need to bring this back to the OP :p

Ahem...

Since this is about loosing in PvP, something which I am SO GOOD AT, I have the perks (and bruises). I'll gladly share how I deal with defeat in PvP.:biggrin:

1) I cry. Yush, its truw :frown::tongue:

2) Then I realise, I knew this was going to happen.

3) Then I realise, oh well, I wasnt made for PvP in the first place so lol

In reality I always try to weigh up if I have a chance at actually getting a shot at the other person during the match, when I realise I havent I usually jump around in the duel spamming my energy builder, waiting to get killed.

On the rare occassion that I stand a small chance at winning and then I loose I say gf and probably comment on a variety of things like:

-How far I flew into the air

-How quickly I got pwned

Stuff that makes me laugh and the other person as well, so both parties come away alright.

I find that when I put effort in and then fail, it irritates me. So I tend to run around and spam energy builders unless its going to be a fight with someone who I know also isnt PvP specced.

Stating "Good Fight" in a fight where someone just completely steam rolled me is a bit of a mickey take IMO, its like a PvP duel happening in the same fashion as the link in my Sig then Quicksilver saying "GF" XD
  • tomaantomaan Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lordraiken wrote: »
    I find it ironic that the original post talks about maturity, calmness and policy(grammar check) and the second post starts an argument that goes over 4 pages.

I think it's only "irony" if an immature response that spawns a flame war is unexpected or contrary to the norm.

I mean, this IS a CO discussion board..... :wink:
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Admitting that the game balance has reached a point of no return and finding something else that allows competitive play with a wider variety of styles is a good way to handle losing, because it makes you a winner.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Why, go troll the pvp forums, obviously.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
This discussion has been closed.