test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

bringing back the "create a villain" contest

crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Suggestions Box
i wish i entered it the first time around. we know the first winners will eventually become a new rampage alert. once that is accomplished i would like to see cryptic turn more player's villain ideas into alert/rampage/story-arc bosses by bringing back the create a villain contest.
Post edited by crosnight on

Comments

• bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There was a bit of a fiasco w/ the 1st contest as many of those that won were felt to be... how shall I put it... not so deserving.

Regardless, this is an area where The Foundry would be best suited since you could then create whatever villain you wanted and have players fight them...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    There was a bit of a fiasco w/ the 1st contest as many of those that won were felt to be... how shall I put it... not so deserving.

Which I serriously don't understand.

Okay, Madam Mayham looks kinda messy, but that actually fits her background, as she is a Doctor Destroyer wannabe. It's totally in-character for her to wear an overdesigned, over-the-top costume!
    Rockjaw looks like a nice homage to 80's cartoon villains to me. Those gross mutants you saw in TMNT and the like.
    Devana Hawke fits clearly into the 90's, and she is just a little too evil to be an antiheroine from that time. And she's supposed to be a villainess, after all.
    I often hear people criticizing the Madstone for being too colorful and random looking. Hello! She is a demon of madness with a body made of all kinds of stones! How would you expect that to look like? Actually, I think she looks rather simplistic for what she is.
    And finally, everyone's (least) favourite worm; Ao'Qephoth. That one villain. It should be widely known by now that his overpowered self heal comes from a design flaw that was deliberately left unfixed. However, Gentleman Crush is to blame for that, not Ao's creator. The later just wanted to create a greater Qliphothic horror, and seriously did a great job with his design. Crush ruined it when he resorted to bugusing in order to create a(nother) package of pure frustration and called it a "challenge".

For the unreleased ones: We all know that "Freon 2" is a joke character. And I can't say anything about Blaze, since I've not seen much of her yet. She had a really annoying power back when I got to test the alert; an explosive debuff kinda like the Burn from Final Fantasy: You move, you die! But then again, that was not the fault of her creator, but of whoever programmed the alert. My bet is on Gentleman Crush... :rolleyes:
    bioshrike wrote: »
    Regardless, this is an area where The Foundry would be best suited since you could then create whatever villain you wanted and have players fight them...

Right. The contest was a mere excuse for the PCC we don't have. If we get Foundry, we won't need any more contests like that.
  • lilukariolilukario Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Roku, it's not just that the winner of the contest had made a ****ty costume. It's that he didn't even follow the rules, posting SCREENSHOTS instead of COSTUMES FILES.

As of today, I still ask myself "Who is he related to that works in Cryptic?"
  • bobgreenwadebobgreenwade Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Regardless of how folks feel about the top winners of the first contest, I don't think another will happen soon -- mainly because we no longer are able to attach files to our posts. Even the files attached to older posts, from before the change in board software, are gone. And it's not really convenient (or, in some cases I'm sure, even possible) for people to upload them to a photo-sharing board and link from there.

If that can be resolved, though, I'd definitely like another shot. I have a couple of Nemeses who weren't quite ready for public release the first time around, but whom I'd love to see in new Alerts.
    =====
    Author of the Realm Hunter series of novels
    Join in the Doctor Who fan film, Doctor Who 2.0 Origins!
    My ideas: Arch-Nemesis
  • rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Even the files attached to older posts, from before the change in board software, are gone. And it's not really convenient (or, in some cases I'm sure, even possible) for people to upload them to a photo-sharing board and link from there.

That depends on the board. Some, such as Flickr, change the name of the image and make it unreadable for the game. Others work fine after the up- and download.