test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Reading patch notes...

kaneofchaoskaneofchaos Posts: 89 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Hero Games
I was thinking of asking people how the game was by logging on and, you know, actually playing but instead just decided to save myself some time and frustration by reading patch notes. The last relevant power change was in November. Lets analyze that.

1) Around 4 months to go with out these kinds of changes is long by ANY means, in ANY game. Is this because there is a true belief that this part of the game is balanced? Is this because of a lack of resources? Maybe it is just laziness. I don't know the reason and I'm not going to act like I do. I don't even know if I care anymore. The only thing keeping me in the game anymore is my green forum name.

2) I see nothing but disgruntled talk in this part of the forums. In fact 1/2 of the replies will probably have nothing to do with the topic and contain some form of subliminal name calling. Is this because the people are just that bad? Is it because there is truly nothing better to talk about? Maybe it is the lack of a reason not to act this way. Like I said, I have no clue.

3) A lot of vehicle attention lately (No sh*t right?). Is this the agenda for the near/distant future? How far does CO plan on pushing vehicles? Is there something else exciting planned or should I just plan on seeing vehicle mods replace all of my useful ones until the servers close?

I could really go on for days. Does PvP impact power changes anymore? Is CO comfortable with the meta? But all my questions just lead to more questions. It's not that I can't be satisfied. I just desire some answers to questions that they don't have to answer, but really should... Is there something I am missing?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].
Post edited by kaneofchaos on

Comments

• Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Welcome to 2009. Or is that July 20, 2012? hmm... wait a second...
  • Options
    embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Welcome to 2009. Or is that July 20, 2012? hmm... wait a second...

July 20th is my birthday, stalker :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    braddkashhbraddkashh Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was thinking of asking people how the game was by logging on and, you know, actually playing but instead just decided to save myself some time and frustration by reading patch notes. The last relevant power change was in November. Lets analyze that.

1) Around 4 months to go with out these kinds of changes is long by ANY means, in ANY game. Is this because there is a true belief that this part of the game is balanced? Is this because of a lack of resources? Maybe it is just laziness. I don't know the reason and I'm not going to act like I do. I don't even know if I care anymore. The only thing keeping me in the game anymore is my green forum name.

2) I see nothing but disgruntled talk in this part of the forums. In fact 1/2 of the replies will probably have nothing to do with the topic and contain some form of subliminal name calling. Is this because the people are just that bad? Is it because there is truly nothing better to talk about? Maybe it is the lack of a reason not to act this way. Like I said, I have no clue.

3) A lot of vehicle attention lately (No sh*t right?). Is this the agenda for the near/distant future? How far does CO plan on pushing vehicles? Is there something else exciting planned or should I just plan on seeing vehicle mods replace all of my useful ones until the servers close?

I could really go on for days. Does PvP impact power changes anymore? Is CO comfortable with the meta? But all my questions just lead to more questions. It's not that I can't be satisfied. I just desire some answers to questions that they don't have to answer, but really should... Is there something I am missing?

Why do you people insist on QQing about power imbalance and the works? Seriously, every time someone QQs about powers, instead of fixing it, the devs just screw it up for everyone. If you don't like the powers or pvp, just don't use them or play PVP. Simple. I personally have no problems with any powers and never did. I don't think the game is imbalanced at all since all of the powers are available to everyone. It's your own choice to run a concept build rather than a min/max build.

Lets take a look at some examples of what happens when you QQ about a power, from past experience

Everyone QQed about imbue. Devs "fixed" it by changing the entire power, making it basically garbage and unplayable. Killing off an entire build, Force Cascades.

Then all the melee players complained about Ascension. Devs "fixed" it by making it affected by NTTG and thus losing the flight and buff when someone used NTTG powers. Making ascension lose its purpose. Don't get me wrong, I still use it along with many other people but the point is, the power is no longer effective really.

Before those examples, Devs nerfed powers like Ego blade breach, enrage, and a few others I cannot recall atm.

My point from all this is that every time people start QQing about imbalance of powers, the devs "fix" it by screwing it up. If people would stop QQing and actually sit down and figure a way to beat that specific power (and not by joining the FoTM) instead of just QQing about nerfs and balances, this game would be a lot better.

And don't say it can't be done. I beat AOPM ER spam on my WoTW melee all the time so melee can still win without having the other players powers nerfed to their advantage.

In conclusion, I am against ALL power "fixes", changes, nerfs. However, if the devs want to bring out new powers, I am all for that.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    braddkashh wrote: »
    Why do you people insist on QQing about power imbalance and the works? Seriously, every time someone QQs about powers, instead of fixing it, the devs just screw it up for everyone. If you don't like the powers or pvp, just don't use them or play PVP. Simple. I personally have no problems with any powers and never did. I don't think the game is imbalanced at all since all of the powers are available to everyone. It's your own choice to run a concept build rather than a min/max build.

Lets take a look at some examples of what happens when you QQ about a power, from past experience

Everyone QQed about imbue. Devs "fixed" it by changing the entire power, making it basically garbage and unplayable. Killing off an entire build, Force Cascades.

Then all the melee players complained about Ascension. Devs "fixed" it by making it affected by NTTG and thus losing the flight and buff when someone used NTTG powers. Making ascension lose its purpose. Don't get me wrong, I still use it along with many other people but the point is, the power is no longer effective really.

Before those examples, Devs nerfed powers like Ego blade breach, enrage, and a few others I cannot recall atm.

My point from all this is that every time people start QQing about imbalance of powers, the devs "fix" it by screwing it up. If people would stop QQing and actually sit down and figure a way to beat that specific power (and not by joining the FoTM) instead of just QQing about nerfs and balances, this game would be a lot better.

And don't say it can't be done. I beat AOPM ER spam on my WoTW melee all the time so melee can still win without having the other players powers nerfed to their advantage.

In conclusion, I am against ALL power "fixes", changes, nerfs. However, if the devs want to bring out new powers, I am all for that.

This has to be a joke. Because no one in their right mind would ever blame a PLAYER for wanting a broken power fixed and when it is changed, it is still broke. You can't tell me with a straight face that my "QQing" about power imbalance is going to break the game anymore than it already is.

Maybe your jaded opinion should tell you something about the state of the game. You don't care one bit that the DEVs can't do anything right but you care that players won't stand for it.

And you said your "against" all changes? You must not like to play games then, because that is what happens. I don't know if I can name a respectable game that doesn't change/nerf/tweak their powers to better promote balance. Even PS3/XBOX games like Call of Duty do this.

It really is time to rethink your perspective when you blame innocent people for the faults of others.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    This has to be a joke. Because no one in their right mind would ever blame a PLAYER for wanting a broken power fixed and when it is changed, it is still broke. You can't tell me with a straight face that my "QQing" about power imbalance is going to break the game anymore than it already is.

Maybe your jaded opinion should tell you something about the state of the game. You don't care one bit that the DEVs can't do anything right but you care that players won't stand for it.

And you said your "against" all changes? You must not like to play games then, because that is what happens. I don't know if I can name a respectable game that doesn't change/nerf/tweak their powers to better promote balance. Even PS3/XBOX games like Call of Duty do this.

It really is time to rethink your perspective when you blame innocent people for the faults of others.

That is where we differ in opinion. You believe that there are broken powers in the game, and I do not. And as history has shown, devs don't "fix" broken powers, they make them turn into trash (with the exception of the enrage 'fix" because I believe they actually did a good job with that).

I think your anger at my comments is misguided. I didn't say I didn't care about the game, I merely said I don't think there is any imbalance of powers. Do I think there are powers that have weaker damage output than others? Sure, but that's the same in every game. You will always have powers that are stronger and powers that are weaker in every game. It's ultimately the player's choice to utilize whichever powers he/she wants and play in a style of their choice.

Champion's Online is a game with infinite possibilities in regards to how one chooses to play. You can strive to be whatever you want whether is high dps, unkillable tank, etc. Every power choice you make has an advantage and a disadvantage. There are no "BEST" powers. Different powers excel in different areas of the game. QQing about imbalance because you can't beat someone in pvp is the stupidest thing I have ever heard in my life. If you can't beat someone in pvp, rethink your build and improve it, instead of QQing about nerfs.

Like I have said, if a squishy way of the warrior melee can defeat an AOPM ER spam, anything is possible.

Finally, you misunderstood what I said. I meant I am against NEGATIVE changes like nerfing or "weakening/fixing" of powers. I am ALL FOR positive changes though.

Just to make one last point in regards to your xbox/ps3 comment. I feel the same about about those games also. For example, when Gears of War 2 came out, I LOVED IT! I used to play it all the time and it was awesome and I was actually quite good at the game. Then they devs decided to "balance" or "fix" the shotgun in the game because so many cry babies were QQing about it being so overpowered because they would die instantly to someone who knew how to use it well. And don't get me wrong, I used to die to shotgun users all the time and I never QQed about it. The tactic was you would run up to someone, melee attack them to stun them and then shoot your shotgun to 1 shot them and blow them up instantly after the melee hit.

How did they fix it? The devs in that game added a delay between when you melee hit someone and when you can shoot your shotgun which completely ruined the entire dynamics of the game. More than half of the game's population stopped using shotguns because they were no longer as effective. I personally stopped playing gears of war 2 because of this nerf. That was 2-3 years ago and I haven't touched it ever since.

So when I say I am against nerfs and negative changes, I mean in ALL games, not just this one. I can think of so many other games that this has happened to that I personally have stopped playing, along with tons of other people.

Just my opinion, everyone is entitled to one right? You can agree or disagree.
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited March 2013

I never wished for PVP to disappear before the Imbue travestry. I agree with you on all of your points.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I get a lot of blame for the Imbue changes, as I started a thread that gained much attention over on the PTS forum about how broken it was. All I wanted was for them to simply fix the bug of it not consuming on Conviction and on Strafing Run, but instead they totally made the power useless in PvP. That was probably the last time a PvPer was listened too regarding a broken power, and what they did was not a proper solution.

However Force Cascade isn't useless. It works quite well with Kinetic Manipulation, but people are too afraid to use KM in PvP.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I remember there used to be a lot of talk about builds in this part of the forums... but nowadays everyone tries to keep their build secret, so there's no more of that.

This basically just turned into the "openly flame each other" section of the forums at some point... look at any post, no matter what it starts as that's what it turns into.

Recently it turned into the "Try to subtly flame each other so your post doesn't get admin-edited" forum.

I'm sure in no time it'll go back to the "oh wow...there's actually a new post for the first time in weeks!" forum, like it was before that one time that one guy came in here and completely flipped his lid and started all this.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    oobtreeoobtree Posts: 1,068 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    I remember there used to be a lot of talk about builds in this part of the forums... but nowadays everyone tries to keep their build secret, so there's no more of that.

This basically just turned into the "openly flame each other" section of the forums at some point... look at any post, no matter what it starts as that's what it turns into.

Recently it turned into the "Try to subtly flame each other so your post doesn't get admin-edited" forum.

I'm sure in no time it'll go back to the "oh wow...there's actually a new post for the first time in weeks!" forum, like it was before that one time that one guy came in here and completely flipped his lid and started all this.

I shared a build recently.. Freeform Devastator PvP Build

But yes, most threads digress into this foolishness. It usually stems from just one person and everyone else defending themselves.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I didn't say I didn't care about the game, I merely said I don't think there is any imbalance of powers.

I don't even understand how you can say this. Have you ever used Ball Lighting or Aura of Arcane Clarity? There CLEARLY isn't power balance in this game. MAYBE if you exclude about 76% of the powers in the game and only focus on the few worth cherry picking then we can find some sort of balance.

I understand it is not just the powers but the STR/INT/CON playing a part. I get that you can never have a 100% even game. Does that mean that you shouldn't even try? It has been so long with out relevant changes that this is exactly what it feels like, they aren't tying.

Maybe I am a minority though? People still seem to play this enough to pay the bills.

(P.S. when you say QQ you say I am crying. If you wonder why my post seemed angry it's because you use that acronym every other sentence. Just saying.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I don't even understand how you can say this. Have you ever used Ball Lighting or Aura of Arcane Clarity? There CLEARLY isn't power balance in this game. MAYBE if you exclude about 76% of the powers in the game and only focus on the few worth cherry picking then we can find some sort of balance.

I understand it is not just the powers but the STR/INT/CON playing a part. I get that you can never have a 100% even game. Does that mean that you shouldn't even try? It has been so long with out relevant changes that this is exactly what it feels like, they aren't tying.

Maybe I am a minority though? People still seem to play this enough to pay the bills.

(P.S. when you say QQ you say I am crying. If you wonder why my post seemed angry it's because you use that acronym every other sentence. Just saying.)

Actually, yes. I use Ball Lightning on my main PVE and I don't see anything wrong with it. Maybe it's just me, idk. If you are complaining that Ball Lighting is useless in pvp, then yes I agree. AOE attacks serve little purpose in PVP and the main use of them is against night warrior passives imo.

Not everyone uses STR/INT/CON in PVP. Usually only the hardcore PVPers do, which is fine. I know plenty of PVPers that DON'T use STR/INT/CON and do surprisingly well in Hero Games and duels. Its just a matter of knowing what to do. The #1 duelest in the game (imo) in a 1vs1 setting, doesn't use STR primary or AOPM and he is pretty much in godmode every single 1vs1 (and no, its not Green).

In any case, you are entitled to your opinion and I to mine. Let's agree to disagree.
  • Options
    lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I've just learned to accept the fact that this game will never be balanced...

It just makes it all a little easier to digest....
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • Options
    wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lokikin wrote: »
    I've just learned to accept the fact that this game will never be balanced...

It just makes it all a little easier to digest....

OMG OMG QFT.

I would even go as far to guess that perhaps the devs do not have intention of balancing all the powers and devices at all. As long as there is no 1 ridiculously OP or broken power, they are pretty happy with it.

Current system actually allows for a few relatively min/max build which functions quite well in PvP. As long as players stick to some correct choices, they are still viable for PvP. That is probably the closest we will get to balance.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    OMG OMG QFT.

I would even go as far to guess that perhaps the devs do not have intention of balancing all the powers and devices at all. As long as there is no 1 ridiculously OP or broken power, they are pretty happy with it.

Current system actually allows for a few relatively min/max build which functions quite well in PvP. As long as players stick to some correct choices, they are still viable for PvP. That is probably the closest we will get to balance.

It's pretty obvious what their plan is.

Keep pve so easy that powers being imbalanced doesn't matter.
    Completely ignore any effect that anything has on pvp.

Essentially, their policy regarding pvp is the same as their policy regarding chat bans. The resulting effect on the game has been similar for both policys. Resounding success!

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    July 20th is my birthday, stalker :rolleyes:

<-- Naughty minx :P
  • Options
    valheri6valheri6 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I for one would welcome if the devs cracked down on stacking dodge/avoidance/cd reduction, versatility and devices.

Then again T2/T3 UTC, my favorite playgrounds, are dead because of other things.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Or you could just learn how to play. Nobody has problems with dodge, not even shaggy.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    OMG OMG QFT.

smoochan wrote: »

It's pretty obvious what their plan is.

Keep pve so easy that powers being imbalanced doesn't matter.
    Completely ignore any effect that anything has on pvp.

Essentially, their policy regarding pvp is the same as their policy regarding chat bans. The resulting effect on the game has been similar for both policys. Resounding success!

You two are pretty much right on every account lol. It isn't 100% un-playable so why fix it lol. And ya the small pool of viable builds is better then just one I guess, even if they all have about 50% of the same powers/superstats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC].
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, melee definitely can't win anymore. Definitely not. Maybe I should quit.